caribbean

If you stayed, ate, or excursioned say it here.

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Alieberman

caribbean

Post by Alieberman »

Ive never been and wanting to do a family island trip or cruise on a bit of a budget.

Any suggestions or recommendations?
scumdevils86

Re: caribbean

Post by scumdevils86 »

If you want to see a couple places and you have kids and you don't want to spend a ton I'd say the Carnival cruises are the best bet. Not as nice or fancy as like Royal Caribbean etc but it's definitely cheaper and more family oriented. Just be wary of the massive groups of turbo rednecks that drive down from all over the south and take over the ship all week.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

We prefer the Princess cruise line and we like the islands of the eastern caribbean. It seems like one island is like the next and we do try and stay away from Jamaica. Our favorite cruise with our kids was Alaska. that was by far he best one we have ever been on
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

All inclusive resorts can provide a pretty fixed cost that you can manage. If you are ok with just a destination and chilling on the beach, there are plenty of options for that.

My wife and I did that, and it was nice to be able to price things out in advance. The downside is it's added expense to go off property. That was not a big deal for us, b/c we were looking to relax. The meals, etc. are included so you can pretty much figure the entire budget before.

We went in 2009, and a week was about $2,000 for the two of us including airline tickets.

Just don't drink the water labeled non-potable like I did and you'll be fit as a fiddle.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Thanks for all the advice on cruises but we have changed plans and are now headed to Belize for a week over Summer.

Can't wait!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote:Thanks for all the advice on cruises but we have changed plans and are now headed to Belize for a week over Summer.

Can't wait!
That sounds awesome.

Wallace describes the excesses of his one-week trip in the Caribbean aboard the cruise ship MV Zenith, which he rechristens the Nadir. He is ironically displeased with the professional hospitality industry and the "fun" he should be having and explains how the indulgences of the cruise turn him into a spoiled brat, leading to overwhelming internal despair.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Suppose ... r_Do_Again" target="_blank
beames

Post by beames »

Southwest has applied (I assume this sort of thing hardly ever gets denied) to begin flights to Turks and Caicos via Fort Lauderdale. Nothing scheduled yet officially... Except in my own head of course, as I envision my soon-to-be three year old skipping down Grace Bay next June. The jetblue redeye out of Phoenix to JFK is semi-convenient, but at nearly 10 hours in the air with a two hour layover, the SW route has some serious potential, especially when you include SW points!