Sedona

If you stayed, ate, or excursioned say it here.

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Jefe

Sedona

Post by Jefe »

Heading up to Sedona soon for a golf trip and looking for recommendations on hikes to water, offroading, and restaurants.

Staying in Oak Creek so we'll probably play Oak Creek CC and Canyon Mesa CC. Better options?

I have spent hours researching Sedona area AirBNBs and I now have 44 homes saved so if anyone is looking for a place Id be glad to share some links
Merkin

Re: Sedona

Post by Merkin »

dovecanyoncat lives in Sedona, might want to give him a PM
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

One of my favorite hikes is West Fork Trail.
https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/ariz ... fork-trail" target="_blank
VegasCatFan

Post by VegasCatFan »

Love Sedona! My wife’s cousin has an AirBNB out there on the road that leads to the church that’s at the top of the mountain. Stayed there a couple times. We’ve eaten at quite a few restaurants over the years but don’t remember the name of even one of them. Senility has kicked in.

And if the Oak Creek CC is the one that's next to the Hilton, then it's an amazing course. Played it a handful of times. Beautiful views. My buddy and I would go golfing while our wives spent the day at the spa. Or doing one of those spiritual or holistic things. As long as they left us alone, it was all good.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Thanks azgreg!
VegasCatFan wrote:And if the Oak Creek CC is the one that's next to the Hilton, then it's an amazing course. Played it a handful of times. Beautiful views. My buddy and I would go golfing while our wives spent the day at the spa. Or doing one of those spiritual or holistic things. As long as they left us alone, it was all good.
Sedona Golf Resort is right next to the Hilton. Oak Creek is just down the street. Both are $80-130 rounds but it does look like Sedona GR might be nicer. Thanks! Yes the ladies will be at the pool all day. They want to play Canyon Mesa 9 hole executive the next day so we'll see how that goes
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I don't play golf anymore so I got nothin' on that end. Our favorite hike is out behind our house in W. Sedona. https://www.trailforks.com/trails/skywalker-46389/It's" target="_blank a loop made of Skywalker>Old Post>Herkenham and takes only two hours give or take. It has beautiful views south through Carroll Canyon across a stretch of Oak Creek and into the rock structures of VOC. The ladies will enjoy Mariposa for its setting, architecture and finish. The food is good but should be better given the price points. Go to Bocce in Cottonwood for woodfired pizza. Vin de Sedona is nice if you want a bottle of wine from a wine store selection that you can buy at the package price and then drink onsite with some decent food options.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

dovecanyoncat wrote:Our favorite hike is out behind our house in W. Sedona. https://www.trailforks.com/trails/skywalker-46389/It's" target="_blank a loop made of Skywalker>Old Post>Herkenham and takes only two hours give or take. It has beautiful views south through Carroll Canyon across a stretch of Oak Creek and into the rock structures of VOC.
That does look like a good one thanks! Also being told to check out Chicken Point in my truck

I just mapped it out and its about 3.6 miles if I follow that route

dovecanyoncat wrote:The ladies will enjoy Mariposa for its setting, architecture and finish. The food is good but should be better given the price points. Go to Bocce in Cottonwood for woodfired pizza. Vin de Sedona is nice if you want a bottle of wine from a wine store selection that you can buy at the package price and then drink onsite with some decent food options.
Sweet thanks! I had someone else recommend Mariposa as well. Heard there's a legit Japanese sushi chef at Minami who also trained the sushi chef at Ginza in Tucson
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Jefe wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:Our favorite hike is out behind our house in W. Sedona. https://www.trailforks.com/trails/skywalker-46389/It's" target="_blank a loop made of Skywalker>Old Post>Herkenham and takes only two hours give or take. It has beautiful views south through Carroll Canyon across a stretch of Oak Creek and into the rock structures of VOC.
That does look like a good one thanks! Also being told to check out Chicken Point in my truck

I just mapped it out and its about 3.6 miles if I follow that route

dovecanyoncat wrote:The ladies will enjoy Mariposa for its setting, architecture and finish. The food is good but should be better given the price points. Go to Bocce in Cottonwood for woodfired pizza. Vin de Sedona is nice if you want a bottle of wine from a wine store selection that you can buy at the package price and then drink onsite with some decent food options.
Sweet thanks! I had someone else recommend Mariposa as well. Heard there's a legit Japanese sushi chef at Minami who also trained the sushi chef at Ginza in Tucson
You can park in the far south parking lot of the Courtyard Marriot (at the corner of 89A and the Upper Red Rocks Loop road) and snag a spur trail right beside the parking lot that leads into the trail system. It's really ripping rain right now. Enjoy!
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

A little warm but we had an amazing time. The only place we could get 6 people onto a patio on a Fri night was The Vault and it was a great choice. Between meals and golf we barely had any time for hiking but we did do the Bell Rock loop. Can't wait to go back and explore more. Possibly a winter trip when there is snow on the ground.

HIGHLY recommend Oak Creek CC for golf. The back 9 is one of my favorite stretches of holes Ive ever played.

Also played a great little executive course Canyon Mesa CC and the 9th hole view is incredible.

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Glad you enjoyed it. Yeah, it sucks to live here. ;)

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'm headed to Don Hoel's Cabins. We used to stay there when I was a kid, and now I'm bringing mine. It became something like the Butterfly Resort before the new owners got smart and changed the name back.

My kid only wants to play in the creek and do Slide Rock. No hiking, no mountain biking, etc. But I'll report back.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:21 pm I'm headed to Don Hoel's Cabins. We used to stay there when I was a kid, and now I'm bringing mine. It became something like the Butterfly Resort before the new owners got smart and changed the name back.

My kid only wants to play in the creek and do Slide Rock. No hiking, no mountain biking, etc. But I'll report back.
You might want to check in with the Forest Service/State Park about water quality in Oak Creek around Slide Rock. E. Coli and giardia are a thing when lots of people hit the canyon.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Thanks. I was hoping they fixed that when they moved the outhouses back from the creek.

Also, I remember when I was a kid we used to wear old jeans because it would rip up your swim suit. Is that true or were we just rednecks?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Redneck guys aren't allowed to wear swim suits as such ..... or pajamas.

~ Wilhoit's Law
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

If your underwear doubles as your swimsuit, you might be a redneck.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Longhorned wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:43 am Thanks. I was hoping they fixed that when they moved the outhouses back from the creek.

Also, I remember when I was a kid we used to wear old jeans because it would rip up your swim suit. Is that true or were we just rednecks?
If you're wearing anything when doing slide rock, you're doing it wrong.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

When my wife chose somewhere for lunch today, it hadn't crossed my mind she'd selected a locale along tourist trap row. I kept my mouth shut right through the $90 hot dog and two horrible sandwiches and waters for a family of 3, and I'm the best husband ever. What views! I'm amenable and not patronizing. I shoulda got the taco salad, riiiiight?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Somewhere near the Y I'm guessing.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Canyon Breeze
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Deep in the heart of The Shit Show. My condolences.

~ Wilhoit's Law
OriginalAZ

Post by OriginalAZ »

Did the West Fork hike and Butterfly Burger last week. I love Sedona. Looking for a house up there.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

OriginalAZ wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:18 am Did the West Fork hike and Butterfly Burger last week. I love Sedona. Looking for a house up there.
Been to Butterfly Burger only once because Lisa Dahl runs a decent ship, but she's getting sorta uppity if there's not a single bottle of red plonk that doesn't start with a 4. It's just a fuckin' burger Lisa, gimme a cheap Zinfandel to wash it down with.

If you're seriously looking for a house here be sure to determine if the HOA in question allows for short term rentals. If allowed: the prices are beyond stupid and the prospect of having Jesse Pinkman partying next door are unquantifiable.

~ Wilhoit's Law