Across Southern Utah.

If you stayed, ate, or excursioned say it here.

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Carcassdragger

Across Southern Utah.

Post by Carcassdragger »

Late last summer wife and I rented a travel trailer and went from southeast Utah over towards southwest Utah and the north rim.

Highlights were: Natural Bridges National Monument, Muley Point west of the Moki Dugway, Moki Dugway, Valley of the Gods. Capitol Reef NP, Escalanti-Grand Staircase (The Highlight), and the North Rim.

I've been to alot of places, but the scenery on this trip was the most incredible I've seen.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
dovecanyoncat

Re: Across Southern Utah.

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Utah is otherworldly.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Didn't do Zion or Bryce? Zion is otherworldly
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Jefe wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:08 pm Didn't do Zion or Bryce? Zion is otherworldly
Loved both of those last October.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

We missed Zion, but the part of the Escalante we crossed blew my mind. We did catch part of Bryce. It was beautiful but not near the top of the things we saw.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Carcassdragger wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:09 pm We missed Zion, but the part of the Escalante we crossed blew my mind. We did catch part of Bryce. It was beautiful but not near the top of the things we saw.
I had a stand exam contract one drainage west of Bryce: box canyons full of hoodoos and some gnarly blasted-zone bristlecone pine sites. Taking core samples from bristlecone and juniper is like doing dental work on dinosaurs. It hailed everyday at 11:30 like clockwork for 3 weeks in the monsoon season. Totally cool country.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:48 pm
Carcassdragger wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:09 pm We missed Zion, but the part of the Escalante we crossed blew my mind. We did catch part of Bryce. It was beautiful but not near the top of the things we saw.
I had a stand exam contract one drainage west of Bryce: box canyons full of hoodoos and some gnarly blasted-zone bristlecone pine sites. Taking core samples from bristlecone and juniper is like doing dental work on dinosaurs. It hailed everyday at 11:30 like clockwork for 3 weeks in the monsoon season. Totally cool country.
That sounds so great. I miss doing field work in cool places. Those bristlecones were up high right? Wonder how old the oldest bristlecone you guys cored was.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Just saw this thread. I had visited my two sisters in Denver for Thanksgiving and decided to drive back through Vail and Utah. Stopping in Moab, Utah for a break. It was the first couple days in December and decided to stay an extra day because there is a lot to see around Moab. Arches National Park is only a few miles out of town. And I also drove to Canyonlands National Park. Canyonlands was free because of the offseason. And I believe I only saw one other vehicle there. I did see mountain goats at one point, and a fearless crow who perched feet away expecting a treat. Arches and Canyonlands are both cool. You can see The Needles from Canyonlands.

Moab is bicycle heaven during the summer and the majestic mesas on the close by Colorado River is breathtaking.

When I drove home I traveled though Mexican Hat and into Monument Valley. That is amazing it it's own right.

I also spent a little time in Kanab, Uah while visiting a friend. We spent time on Lake Powell.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Nice trip Catintheheat. I took a 6 day rafting trip through Canyonlands over 20 years ago. Sublime.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Carcassdragger wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:24 pm
dovecanyoncat wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:48 pm
That sounds so great. I miss doing field work in cool places. Those bristlecones were up high right? Wonder how old the oldest bristlecone you guys cored was.
Yeah, those were high elevation sites with no veg, just bare soils and bristlecone. They were mostly up to 600-700 years old but the oldest I bored was around 900. As is typical, it was one of the less-than-average diameter individuals. I've had to take a hammer with me to bore Mesquite and Juniper. Then often the borer gets jammed and you have to bake it in an over to clear it out. Was up at the Grand Canyon recently. I'm jonesing for the canyonlands.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Young for bristlecones, I think.