Flagstaff

If you stayed, ate, or excursioned say it here.

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Carcassdragger

Flagstaff

Post by Carcassdragger »

I have to travel to Flag periodically for my job. Have been doing it for about 12 years now and I just got back.

Flag has to be the city with the shittiest food for a city of its size anywhere. Time after time, I cannot find a decent meal anywhere except for one above average BBQ joint.

There are some decent microbreweries, but their food sucks.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
UAEebs86

Re: Flagstaff

Post by UAEebs86 »

Carcassdragger wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:07 pm I have to travel to Flag periodically for my job. Have been doing it for about 12 years now and I just got back.

Flag has to be the city with the shittiest food for a city of its size anywhere. Time after time, I cannot find a decent meal anywhere except for one above average BBQ joint.

There are some decent microbreweries, but their food sucks.

Martanne's is awesome for breakfast.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

You'd think being a college hipstery kinda town that is now over 100k people in its "metro" area, they'd have a whole bunch of awesome restaurants and places to go there.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Josephine's wasn't bad.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea that is true. I've never heard anything good about the food scene in Flagstaff. There's tons of cities all over the country that are significantly smaller and have some amazing food.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

I remember the Student Cafeteria was pretty good... if you enjoy food fight protests over inedible food.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Tucson Foodie is very big on food in Flagstaff:

https://tucsonfoodie.com/2019/06/14/get ... eat-drink/
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

My stepdad used to live in Flag and loves Satchmo's. We went once and I thought it was OK.
-JB
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

It would be great if there were a Navajo cafe in Flagstaff like the Blue Coffee Pot in Kayenta.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I like Satchmos. The only good food I've found there.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

We love Macy's cafe but it might be a little too hippyish for some people's taste. It's been in the same location since we left NAU in 1983
Last edited by 84Cat on Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Carcassdragger wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:22 pm I like Satchmos. The only good food I've found there.
Have you gone to Martanne's for breakfast?
-JB
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

No. I'm usually staying at the Embassy Suites. Their free Omellets are tough to beat.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Carcassdragger wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:33 pm No. I'm usually staying at the Embassy Suites. Their free Omellets are tough to beat.
That's our choice as well.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Carcassdragger wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:33 pm No. I'm usually staying at the Embassy Suites. Their free Omellets are tough to beat.
I looked it up and Martanne's is open until 9PM. I've never ordered their lunch or dinner food but I vouch for their breakfasts.

Never went to the Diablo Burger in Flag but went to the one in Tucson when it was still open and it was pretty good.

Bigfoot BBQ in the basement of the shopping area downtown is decent.

Toasted Owl is another good breakfast and lunch place.
-JB
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Thanks. Yeah. Been to Diablo burger. It's good but not really good dinner food. Also really expensive burgers. Bigfoot is decent.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

azgreg wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:58 pm
Embassy is in bad need of rehab. The furniture in my room and that of my two colleagues is really ratty and dirty.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Carcassdragger wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:52 pm
Embassy is in bad need of rehab. The furniture in my room and that of my two colleagues is really ratty and dirty.
Do you have to stay there with your company? I heard the Drury is nice but never got a chance to stay there when my daughter was at NAU.
Might be pricey.
-JB
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I was referring to Embassy as a whole wherever we go. The one in Portland last weekend was in terrific shape.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Not to hijack a thread, but what do you consider to be pricey for a hotel room in America these days?
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:01 am Not to hijack a thread, but what do you consider to be pricey for a hotel room in America these days?
When my daughter was at NAU (2016 - 2019) if memory serves correct the Drury was running close to $150 a night, maybe a little less.

I could usually find a decent place elsewhere for $85 - $100, except for homecoming weekend or graduation weekend when they jack the prices way up.
-JB
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:05 am
dovecanyoncat wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:01 am Not to hijack a thread, but what do you consider to be pricey for a hotel room in America these days?
When my daughter was at NAU (2016 - 2019) if memory serves correct the Drury was running close to $150 a night, maybe a little less.

I could usually find a decent place elsewhere for $85 - $100, except for homecoming weekend or graduation weekend when they jack the prices way up.
I start getting grumpy when the base price (before taxes, parking, and bullshit "resort"/"sustainability"/"facility" fees are added) gets above $125 or so. If we're staying in a major metropolitan city and want to do it up right, well, then all bets are off, but if we're just traveling across the country en route to some place and want a Holiday Inn Express I hate the dynamic pricing outliers that make cost $175 all in just to go through some place like Fort Stockton, Texas. But I'm an asshole Boomer who remembers his father bitching back in the day about $24.95 for a Holiday Inn that had color TV and a pool.

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

We got Embassy Suites in Portland for $100 a night.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:28 am But I'm an asshole Boomer who remembers his father bitching back in the day about $24.95 for a Holiday Inn that had color TV and a pool.

:lol:

My dad preferred Motel 6. The ones where there was a key for the TV and you had to pay extra to watch.
-JB
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:43 am :lol:
My dad preferred Motel 6. The ones where there was a key for the TV and you had to pay extra to watch.
Ouch. How were things at home? I remember a protracted debate about water consumption in showers vs. baths. It involved a gallon bucket, a wrist watch, claims of body surface area adjusted for gender and age. This was the guy who in his dotage has blithely vaporized a half mil on a fucking trout pond that he doesn't fish in, that doesn't really support a sustained fish population, and might have been illegal in the first place.

~ Wilhoit's Law
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:55 am
Ouch. How were things at home? I remember a protracted debate about water consumption in showers vs. baths. It involved a gallon bucket, a wrist watch, claims of body surface area adjusted for gender and age. This was the guy who in his dotage has blithely vaporized a half mil on a fucking trout pond that he doesn't fish in, that doesn't really support a sustained fish population, and might have been illegal in the first place.
My parents were pretty cheap (I think most of my wardrobe was from K-Mart :-) ), but I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that my dad got laid off a lot. Luckily my mom was a nurse with a steady income.
-JB
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Amazing
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:54 pm

Amazing
and mindboggling and embarrassing. I guess the lesson here is that people change as time closes in. And quite often when they get really old they invert the conditions of childhood they bore so stridently as young adults. My Daddy's family was severely poor .... an apple once a year kind of poor .... and while he's very well off now and giving it all away it still alienates me.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:25 pm
Chicat wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:54 pm

Amazing
and mindboggling and embarrassing. I guess the lesson here is that people change as time closes in. And quite often when they get really old they invert the conditions of childhood they bore so stridently as young adults. My Daddy's family was severely poor .... an apple once a year kind of poor .... and while he's very well off now and giving it all away it still alienates me.
I can’t wait to get old and become a total miserly asshole. It will be all off-brand bagels and socks I pick up at yard sales.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

UAEebs86 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:55 pm
Do you have to stay there with your company? I heard the Drury is nice but never got a chance to stay there when my daughter was at NAU.
Might be pricey.
I can stay anywhere I want, as long as it's under a certain rate. Drury is OK too, but their breakfast doesn't compare to Embassy.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I forgot how much I like Flagstaff.

Also, had Cornish Pasty Co. for dinner last night, which is always a great meal. It's an Arizona chain, though, so it doesn't really negate the criticism of Flagstaff restaurants.

Would love to try Josephine's, which is beloved, but it's booked for weeks.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I've eaten at the Cornish Pasty Co. here in Phoenix a number of times. Pretty decent.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

The highly touted pizza at Dark Sky Brewing gets a 'D'.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I hadn't realized the Grand Canyon Cafe Chop Suey closed. What a loss. After 75 years, the Wongs sold it in 2017 and the new owners "improved" it, and everyone hated it so it had to close. I've read really good things about the butcher/deli in the space, though. They kept the iconic sign and front.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

About to try Biff's Bagels. People are crazy for it. The line runs through the interior, out the door, around the corner, and people are fist-fucking in the street. Never seen such mania since Hot Doug's in Chicago. Expect my raving review.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Longhorned wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:18 am About to try Biff's Bagels. People are crazy for it. The line runs through the interior, out the door, around the corner, and people are fist-fucking in the street. Never seen such mania since Hot Doug's in Chicago. Expect my raving review.
It's OK
-JB
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:35 am
Longhorned wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:18 am About to try Biff's Bagels. People are crazy for it. The line runs through the interior, out the door, around the corner, and people are fist-fucking in the street. Never seen such mania since Hot Doug's in Chicago. Expect my raving review.
It's OK
Yep. A legit full rung above just bad. Solidly below average. By usual standards, a 'C-'. No wonder everyone goes nuts for it.

What would happen if a place in Flagstaff were to make decent food? Would the universe tear apart?

I'm going to try that butcher place in the old Grand Canyon Cafe space.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Longhorned wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:19 pm
UAEebs86 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:35 am
It's OK
Yep. A legit full rung above just bad. Solidly below average. By usual standards, a 'C-'. No wonder everyone goes nuts for it.

What would happen if a place in Flagstaff were to make decent food? Would the universe tear apart?

I'm going to try that butcher place in the old Grand Canyon Cafe space.

Try Martanne's for breakfast
-JB
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Thanks! Looks great. The stuff I'd want to order most would suffer from take out in cold styrofoam containers, though (can't eat in with an unvaccinated child)