East Verde River fishing

If you stayed, ate, or excursioned say it here.

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UAdevil

East Verde River fishing

Post by UAdevil »

Spending a few days on the "river" in Whispering Pines (north of Payson). Hoping to try some trout fishing right off the back porch of our rental. Anyone have any experience fishing/hiking the East Verde?
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
dovecanyoncat

Re: East Verde River fishing

Post by dovecanyoncat »

UAdevil wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:01 pm Spending a few days on the "river" in Whispering Pines (north of Payson). Hoping to try some trout fishing right off the back porch of our rental. Anyone have any experience fishing/hiking the East Verde?
I know nothing of the East Verde but I'd appreciate any report you pass on.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I started fishing here in Maine. There are over 6000 lakes here, let alone the Atlantic Ocean an hour away. My Maine fishing license is good for both. Just bought a medium light spinning rod and reel. I have been fishing for panfish now but plan on purchasing a quality inflatable boat and trolling motor from Sea Eagle.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I love almost every type of seafood.

And yet I've never had 1 second of wanting to go fishing and then cutting fish open to prepare it.

I like a nice clean fish from the butcher!

I might like fishing if I could get someone to clean them for me!
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

95% of the appeal for me is the peace of relaxing out in nature with a nice six pack of quality craft brew. I'll probably be doing the catch and release thing unless I get really lucky early.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

The ocean piers out here in California do not require any license, so I used to take the kids all the time to go fishing. Just get outside.

Felt no need to actually ever catch anything. Either toss it back, and give it to someone who will clean and eat crappy fish like mackerel and tom cod.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Alieberman wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:32 pm I love almost every type of seafood.

And yet I've never had 1 second of wanting to go fishing and then cutting fish open to prepare it.

I like a nice clean fish from the butcher!

I might like fishing if I could get someone to clean them for me!
Once you learn the hand mechanics specific to the species of fish you're cleaning it's a snap. I can clean a cutthroat/rainbow/brown/brookie in about 10 seconds. Remember: a sharp tool is a safe tool!
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

UAdevil wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:41 pm 95% of the appeal for me is the peace of relaxing out in nature with a nice six pack of quality craft brew. I'll probably be doing the catch and release thing unless I get really lucky early.
I think we all have childhood memories that we repair to in response to the adult world. Fly fishing on the North Fork of the Flathead in the 60s and 70s is a memory that for me captures all the elements of simple perfect Zen engagement and endures ever-present in the personal memory vault seemingly immune to the over-writing most memories suffer. Both at the time and later in deeper reflection it lends itself to something importantly human. I cherish it and covet its serenity. I suggest we all do it.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I live to fish. Yellowtail and dorado in Baja, tuna in the Pacific, and largemouth and smallmouth bass in the Colorado River are my favorites. I used to competitively bass fish also.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I just picked this up. It should arrive next week. The ponds in Maine are about the size of lakes in Arizona. I will be able to backpack this boat anywhere I can place it in the water.

RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Quick scan of the thread doesn't yield much talk of the Verde River, but if any of you fisher folk find my high school class ring while you are fishing on the Verde, let me know will ya?
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

UAdevil wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:01 pm Spending a few days on the "river" in Whispering Pines (north of Payson). Hoping to try some trout fishing right off the back porch of our rental. Anyone have any experience fishing/hiking the East Verde?
When I lived in Santa Fe, a friend invited me out to his crib in Pecos for the weekend. His family bought an old camp right on the Pecos River. We could step right off the porch and catch trout. Good times.
gouacats

Post by gouacats »

I was up there last year right before Memorial Day and caught a bunch of stockers. Fish under and near the bridges in the shade and you shouldn’t have any problem finding fish.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

RichardCranium wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:07 pm Quick scan of the thread doesn't yield much talk of the Verde River, but if any of you fisher folk find my high school class ring while you are fishing on the Verde, let me know will ya?
True, this thread isn't necessarily about the Verde River, but we didn't have a fishing thread. So, you could see where this thread was going.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Catintheheat wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 7:57 am
RichardCranium wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:07 pm Quick scan of the thread doesn't yield much talk of the Verde River, but if any of you fisher folk find my high school class ring while you are fishing on the Verde, let me know will ya?
True, this thread isn't necessarily about the Verde River, but we didn't have a fishing thread. So, you could see where this thread was going.
Pueblo '69 by the way
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Chilling here in my east Verde River fishing hole in the back yard...got a six pack and a doob. A few bites so far...but that's not really why I am here. 75 degrees and overcast... perfection.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Here's my fishing hole.

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

With a doob and a sixer you'll snooze through the next strike. LOL.

~ Wilhoit's Law
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

3 tiny nibbles is all I've had in about 12 hours fishing so far. Having a great time! Lol
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Trout or smallmouth fishing?
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Trout mostly. They stock them about 5 miles up stream.