2016 Season thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UAEebs86

Re: 2016 Season thread

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Geez, thought Dalbec has been a monster with his pitching and Cloney goes 16 innings with zero runs given up. Cats staff is red hot. Our defense behind them has made 1 error in 6 games, unreal.

Need to keep the intensity and ratchet up the urgency and finish this thing tomorrow. Tucson wants to celebrate along with cat fans everywhere
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Sorry was wrong

NOW THERE IS NO BETTER TIME FOR THIS CLIP!!!! BTFD CATS!!!!!!!!!!!

2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Chicat wrote:
That's an amazing thing to accomplish.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

84Cat wrote:Cloney has pitched 50 innings with no runs
Srsly? That's awesome.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Jeffries said going into this game, the Cats staff had a 1.04 ERA. Chalk up another shutout!!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Down to 1.0 with a .995 fielding percentage. You don't lose to many games when you pitch and catch like that.

PAC can claim it's 5th CWS title in the last 11 years with a win tomorrow and the cats would have 2 of them along with OSU. Where is Bill Walton when you need him to tell the world that this is the Conference of Champions
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

azcat49 wrote:Down to 1.0 with a .995 fielding percentage. You don't lost to many games when you pitch and catch like that.

PAC cam claim it's 5th CWS title in the last 11 years with a win tomorrow and the cats would have 2 of them along with OSU. Where is Bill Walton when you need him to tell the world that this is the Conference of Champions
Plus we move up to tie the Scum at 4th on the all time list with 5.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

One for the thumb!
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Chicat wrote:
That is simply amazing. Lotta good pitchers have been in the CWS.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

We are on just an unreal run right now. Complete lightning in a bottle. So fucking cool.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

UAEebs86 wrote:
What is the protocol here...seems like it would be pretty standard gamesmanship to withhold that type of info if there is any doubt...why give your opponents intel to help them defeat you? I guess I am a football guy where it is expected that you do everything you need to win.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

84Cat wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:Thanks 49! Interesting to know and will make it more fun to follow...even if only via ESPN box score....one thing that continues to suck about living here is having to miss so many of these UA sports. So that makes these boards that much more important to me.

Thanks again for your input. Bear Down.
Just install kodi on your computer and you can watch every game. You can also get an Amazon Fire stick with kodi preinstalled if you want to watch it on your tv.
Thanks 84, will look into it.

Funny one, but so true here UALoco....always check the under-carriages ;-).

Agree Longhorned....keeping up with Tech ain't easy but it's nice when you have fellow fans like the ones here helping out.

Bear Down y'all and let's close this out tomorrow! One more thing re: the 'Major League' movie video that was posted earlier....they filmed that while I was at the UA and working room service at the Doubletree. Tom Berrenger used to hang out in the bar and seemed pretty cool the lone time I got to share an elevator with him.

One late night some other Dude ordered room service (under an alias that I didn't know) and this major, MAJOR babe wearing a guy's button down dress shirt answered the door (so damned sexy I still remember her almost 25 years later?) ....never saw the guy....got back downstairs and the guy ordered more ketchup......went back up, hoping to see the girl again and Charlie freakin' Sheen answered the door wearing a towel around his waist and that weird-ass movie haircut....that bastard!!! Too bad he's gone so downhill this last decade......

Anyways, my contribution to this discussion....and as usual, all I have to add is about girls ;-).....anyways, BTFD and let's close this out!
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

UAEebs86 wrote:

So absurd. Our #1 left with arm issues. Our current #2a or 2b just threw Saturday. Ginkel/Ming kind of go together and Ming threw excessive outs in finishing OSU. And we have a rested #2, sometimes #1 this year, sitting on a 0 ERA. Do we need to spell it out for you, coach? If you prepared for another pitcher, well...I doubt it was all that effective anyways since you are an idiot. Cloney was pitching from the go. Full rest, legit 1/2 starter, effective to dominant his last couple of appearances.

Buttermaker getting mad because his bad news chickens couldn't bash and dance....
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

and not only would we tie the Debbils in titles, we would have THREE since their last 1980s title. So we'd tie them overall for the history guys at home who love those stats from the era of the horse and buggy, but in all real, we'd have 3 since their last one, all 5 coming no more than 8 years before their last one, and two in the millennium. When 5 isn't the same as 5? Whey your five relies completely on prior millenniums and accomplishments last registered over 30 years ago when the other five include three since your last, and 2 that happened while even the youngest freshman in school was alive and aware. 1984.....2012 and 2016. hmmm. Relevance check, aisle 5
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

UALoco wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
What is the protocol here...seems like it would be pretty standard gamesmanship to withhold that type of info if there is any doubt...why give your opponents intel to help them defeat you? I guess I am a football guy where it is expected that you do everything you need to win.
I mean if we as Arizona fans, and I'm sure most of us are far less obsessed with the baseball team like we are the basketball/football teams, could figure out it was without a doubt Cloney then I don't know how a Division I coach with a large assistant staff whose primary purpose during the season is to scout/prepare for the opponent could be unaware of who we were going to pitch. I mean Bannister is hurt, Dalbec just pitched 120 pitches two days before, Ming was on short rest, we were using Ginkel as a reliever in the last couple of games, and Cloney was the only usual starter remotely rested. I mean we have literally not pitched anybody else this entire postseason outside of Rivas against one batter. If he's really salty about it then I have zero pity for him and suggest he hire better assistants.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Do we know who is pitching tonight yet?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote:Do we know who is pitching tonight yet?
Nope. Best guess is some combination of Ming/Ginkel unless Bannister woke up pain free.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I'm guessing All Hands on Deck.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

wyo-cat wrote:
I'm guessing All Hands on Deck.
That makes sense but I just have the thought we will see Bannister tonight. I would think the ace of the staff wants to get in these finals and especially wants to finish it. Of course if he has pain he won't but I am sure he has done some throwing and knows where he is at.

I guess we know if it goes 3 games we get Dalbec for the final game which is great. He has rocked it and while he wants to be a third baseman and hit in the bigs his 1-18 performance at the plate so far compared to his pitching would certainly point to his future being on the mound.

Just hope like heck we finish this tonight and playing our best game would be a great way to cap off this magical run we have had. Finish strong cats and lets hang another flag on championship drive
Last edited by azcat49 on Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Impressed with your guys run. This PAC-12 season was a bunch of hot garbage so it's fitting we'd have the championship taken home
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

MrBug708 wrote:Impressed with your guys run. This PAC-12 season was a bunch of hot garbage so it's fitting we'd have the championship taken home
I'd say based on our success and the success in general of the west in the last decade/century...the PAC was just incredibly competitive this year. Everyone beating everyone was truly what the SEC claims is the reason whenever one of their top dogs lose in football. The conference was loaded top to bottom. We know OSU and UCLA were national level good this year. We knew ASU would be decent, and Oregon was very good. We just didn't know Arizona would be so good, Utah would right the ship, UW would be so competitive, etc.

The conference only appeared to be weak because there was no clear strength. As it turns out, it may have been excessive strength. We just didn't get the chance to send 4 teams out with #1 seeds and home regionals to see what might happen.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The regional bias and regional RPI that comes with that is making it very tough for west coast teams to host going forward. It is going to take more travel back east or to tournaments to get that RPI up.

The west is full of good teams who can beat you every game. California and Arizona is loaded with great baseball players that fill D-1 BCS and mid level programs rosters that can put a hurt on you. Not sure that holds true yet in the east and south. I think getting a top 8 seed to host a super regional is a thing of the past, just too much balance out west
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

I wonder if Jay Johnson is a guy who will stay here, after this immediate catapult to likely hottest commodity in college baseball coaching. Even with our historical success in baseball (and hopefully putting a championship ring on the thumb (not counting chickens yet)), how do we measure money wise and history/reputation wise with say.. Texas? Who is in a coaching search right now, right? He makes $160K base and with incentives this season he pushed to $300K, which is apparently a considerable amount less than others in conference. That is understandable with it being his first year, but now, GB going to have to open the checkbook, bigtime.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

yeah he'll probably get his contract doubled.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Lofty wrote:I wonder if Jay Johnson is a guy who will stay here, after this immediate catapult to likely hottest commodity in college baseball coaching. Even with our historical success in baseball (and hopefully putting a championship ring on the thumb (not counting chickens yet)), how do we measure money wise and history/reputation wise with say.. Texas? Who is in a coaching search right now, right? He makes $160K base and with incentives this season he pushed to $300K, which is apparently a considerable amount less than others in conference. That is understandable with it being his first year, but now, GB going to have to open the checkbook, bigtime.
He's a west coast guy and he's most definitely in for a major raise. His starting salary was more than fair based on experience and resume (only 2 years as a head man at the D1 level and never even made the tourney).
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Lofty wrote:I wonder if Jay Johnson is a guy who will stay here, after this immediate catapult to likely hottest commodity in college baseball coaching. Even with our historical success in baseball (and hopefully putting a championship ring on the thumb (not counting chickens yet)), how do we measure money wise and history/reputation wise with say.. Texas? Who is in a coaching search right now, right? He makes $160K base and with incentives this season he pushed to $300K, which is apparently a considerable amount less than others in conference. That is understandable with it being his first year, but now, GB going to have to open the checkbook, bigtime.
He's a west coast guy and he's most definitely in for a major raise. His starting salary was more than fair based on experience and resume (only 2 years as a head man at the D1 level and never even made the tourney).
Sounds like he has earned some Oil Stock like has been given to the football and basketball coaches.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Chicat wrote:
This is astounding, along with his scoreless streak. MOP!
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Am I the only one who giggles at "Gary Gilmore?"

"OK, team, we need to execute better!"
Right where I want to be.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

HellO!

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Little less than 3 hours to first pitch. Nervous as heck and zero productive at work
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:HellO!

I'm fired up now!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Our pen should be well rested other than Ming as Dalbec and Cloney gave a deep innings. Ginkel, Bannister (if healthy), Gomez, Deason could all be ready. Maybe we do go by committee and take it three innings at a time.

hopefully we unload with the bats tonight. Less than 2 hours to first pitch. Go Cats!!!!
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

Bear down! About to hit up Gentle Bens soon.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I'm so pumped...Bear the Fuck Down!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Ginkel gets the start.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
VegasCatFan

Post by VegasCatFan »

Sneaking out of work in a few minutes so I can get home in time to watch the game. Today wasn't very productive.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

CC is starting their closer.

A senior making his 3rd ever start.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Alieberman wrote:CC is starting their closer.

And he threw 83 pitches a few days ago...work the count boys.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Alieberman wrote:CC is starting their closer.

The Cats have had some great AB's theses last games. Going deep in the count and fouling off a lot off balls.

Go Cats....BTFD!!!
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Dosia wrote:Bear down! About to hit up Gentle Bens soon.
I was at Gentle Ben's when The 97 basketball Cats won the national championship. Good times.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Let's go win a natty
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

There is no doubt that CC is going to bring the heat today. I doubt we will keep their bats as quite as yesterday so we will have to score runs for Ginkel and his relief if need be.

Ginkel will need to change it up and keep them off balance and keep the ball in the low part of the strike zone. His fastball is pro-level good, but he will need some additional off-speed and change-up options.

What a run for JJ and the boys.

CC is good and worthy of being here, but we're just better from top to bottom and we are fabulously coached.

The extreme tactical and strategic maneuvering in the defensive playing field and overall development of the pitchers, hitters that JJ and the staff has brought to bare in this CWS is going to be remembered as a thing of legend and the ultimate reason why the Cats will bring home the national Championship in 2016.

Bringing a team to Omaha that was picked two spots from DEAD LAST, in the PAC-12 to playing for a NC in his first year.

Simply astonishing!
Last edited by Gladiator Cat on Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

1-2-3...nice start by Ginkel
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Sweet. Ramen drops in a single.
EastCoastCat