Baseball program receives a $1 million donation

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Irish27

Baseball program receives a $1 million donation

Post by Irish27 »

This is is great news as they will be able to renovate Hi Corbett Field and fan amenities.
http://www.arizonawildcats.com/ViewArti ... =211043799" target="_blank
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
azcat49

Re: Baseball program receives a $1 million donation

Post by azcat49 »

Fantastic gesture. Bet it was the same folks who endowed Football or maybe Moreno. Either way, start building. Maybe the first dollars should go to the NCAA for a replay machine
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

We have amazing alumni. Proud to be a fellow Wildcat.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Awesome. Hi corbett is nice already but that could put some cool improvements in.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

ASUHATER! wrote:Awesome. Hi corbett is nice already but that could put some cool improvements in.
It's nice if you like to be cooked alive sitting on the aluminum bleachers. Other than being a human kabob, it is nice.

It needs real stadium seating and so does the football stadium, we are not animale.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

Hope they don't move the outfield walls. The "go yard or strike out trying" mentality is killing baseball.

Baseball is fun; beer-league softball is boring.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

azcat49 wrote:Fantastic gesture. Bet it was the same folks who endowed Football or maybe Moreno. Either way, start building. Maybe the first dollars should go to the NCAA for a replay machine
Man, GoAZCats.com must be paying well...
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote:Fantastic gesture. Bet it was the same folks who endowed Football or maybe Moreno. Either way, start building. Maybe the first dollars should go to the NCAA for a replay machine
I bet it was a baseball alumnus like Trevor Hoffman.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Sage&Silver wrote:Hope they don't move the outfield walls. The "go yard or strike out trying" mentality is killing baseball.
Where is this in the college game? I would argue that there is too much small ball in college baseball. Too much bunting and too much over using pitchers.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Coop Cat wrote:
Sage&Silver wrote:Hope they don't move the outfield walls. The "go yard or strike out trying" mentality is killing baseball.
Where is this in the college game? I would argue that there is too much small ball in college baseball. Too much bunting and too much over using pitchers.
SEC and ACC are bashers. They play MLB ball, where a guy won't bunt against a shift even though it is a guaranteed runner/hit/advance of runners because ego.

Overusing pitching? One start a week? Occasional and very limited short rest appearances in either the regionals or for the title (not in the supers). So 1, maybe 2 times a year they throw short. Anywhere that has baseball double elim brackets will have the very rare push for short rest appearances…high school too. And in the pros, if a pitcher is able to throw and it is for the title, they will get rolled back out there, which is how Randy Johnson won 3 games in one World Series after appearing in the very next game after his last start. On average, when the conference season starts, we have 3 games, sometimes a midweek game where we thrown a non-rotational starter vs ASU in one of the non-conference matchups or some small directional school. Otherwise, one start a week.

In a season that spanned from February 19 to June 30, our ace, Nathan Bannister, led the nation with 142.3 IP. So over 4 1/3 months, hitting all his starts, he threw 32 innings a month. That is not excessive….that is roughly 7 innings a week. But, yes, in one series in the regionals, our pitchers made more appearances than usual. Bannister had some tightness in the CWS and we pulled him and that was that. Was it related to the regional? There is no way to know, but he sure was fine after it in Starkville. And there were pitchers who put in back to back days in Lafayette that were just fine at the end. So the "too much overusing pitchers" was one time, otherwise their inning counts were rather low for what will be expected if they progress to the pros. I mean, we had the IP leader, and he wasn't overused.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I heard the baseball team will be announcing another major gift from a former player on Tuesday. Anybody else hear anything about this or know which player we're talking? My uneducated guess is Francona or Hoffman.