2017 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: 2017 Season Thread

Post by ChooChooCat »

Fwiw I've heard the Alabama threat is more than a threat to get Jay. If that happens I will have lost all respect for Byrne as that's some shady bullshit. I don't know if Jay will just use Bama to garner a raise or not, but I assume it'll depend on just how much Byrne is willing to offer Jay who currently makes around $375K a year and how much we can match. Bama's last coach who had 14 years of head coaching experience in the southeast region was paid $475K.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

ChooChooCat wrote:Fwiw I've heard the Alabama threat is more than a threat to get Jay. If that happens I will have lost all respect for Byrne as that's some shady bullshit. I don't know if Jay will just use Bama to garner a raise or not, but I assume it'll depend on just how much Byrne is willing to offer Jay who currently makes around $375K a year and how much we can match. Bama's last coach who had 14 years of head coaching experience in the southeast region was paid $475K.
I would be shocked if Johnson left after two years and I would be double shocked if GB went after him.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

That would be a low class move. He's already damaged goods around here with the OTL piece, and then poaching a coach? Come on, his name would be shit in Tucson.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

On GB, isn't he the self proclaimed ninja in job searches. Why not throw out JJ namr but go after someone else. Isn't that how he operates?
Last edited by azcat49 on Sat May 27, 2017 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Why would Byrne care at all if his name was shit I Tucson? He has no reason to ever come back here
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Why would Byrne care at all if his name was shit I Tucson? He has no reason to ever come back here
This is what I was thinking. I sit back and observe that fans feel entitled to their coaches. But sports is competitive and therefore is cutthroat. Win at all costs. This move by GB doesn't surprise me at all. I think it is actually a wise move. If Arizona did the same thing as Alabama is doing we would be jumping all over it. So I find the anger hypocritical, like UA is entitled to their coach. GB has a job to do and is doing it to the best of his ability.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Why would Byrne care at all if his name was shit I Tucson? He has no reason to ever come back here
I mean I don't know about you, but it's never bad to have places you used to be at to fall back on. He certainly doesn't have to give a shit and no one is making him. However, there's a certain etiquette in college sports where you don't steal away coaches from places you used to work at if you were Athletic Director at that place. Maybe Byrne thinks that etiquette is garbage and if he does then he's pure garbage and can fuck himself forever as far as I'm concerned. He's made one real high quality hire at Arizona and that's Jay Johnson. Hell I'd argue his sole legacy at Arizona outside of holding on to Miller (with an assist from a hamburger) was what he did with baseball with the move to Hi-Co and the hiring of Jay. If he takes away Jay then he has no legacy at Arizona outside of the Wildcat Club I guess.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

ChooChooCat wrote:
I mean I don't know about you, but it's never bad to have places you used to be at to fall back on. He certainly doesn't have to give a shit and no one is making him. However, there's a certain etiquette in college sports where you don't steal away coaches from places you used to work at if you were Athletic Director at that place. Maybe Byrne thinks that etiquette is garbage and if he does then he's pure garbage and can fuck himself forever as far as I'm concerned. He's made one real high quality hire at Arizona and that's Jay Johnson. Hell I'd argue his sole legacy at Arizona outside of holding on to Miller (with an assist from a hamburger) was what he did with baseball with the move to Hi-Co and the hiring of Jay. If he takes away Jay then he has no legacy at Arizona outside of the Wildcat Club I guess.
Completely agree.

Question: If the etiquette you describe is true, and I hope it is, how would poaching JJ settle within the AD community? How would GB be seen among his peers? Black eye?

He may not care about Tucson, but his rep among his peers is something else entirely, especially if he has ambitions higher than being an AD.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Lost 7-4 and lost the series. Probably will cost them a regional. What a lousy Saturday and Sunday for baseball and softball.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yep getting shipped out now.

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

MrMeow wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Completely agree.

Question: If the etiquette you describe is true, and I hope it is, how would poaching JJ settle within the AD community? How would GB be seen among his peers? Black eye?

He may not care about Tucson, but his rep among his peers is something else entirely, especially if he has ambitions higher than being an AD.
I mean he's at his final AD job at this point, so if he doesn't care I don't blame him. I doubt it'd be a black eye if he was in line for a commissioner job, seeing as all schools/ADs care about is making the most money possible, so being ruthless is probably a good quality.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

UAEebs86 wrote:Lost 7-4 and lost the series. Probably will cost them a regional. What a lousy Saturday and Sunday for baseball and softball.
Last year came off a road sweep heading into the tourney. This year coming off a series loss at home to a meh team.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Defending champs Coastal Carolina did not get in.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Very tough regional. TT is a very good club, much better than LL last year so advancing would he quite the feet.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

We lost 13-1 at TT early in the season

Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

I would save Cloney for game 2 in hope they can get by Sam Houston State without him. I would start Ming in game 1.
prh

Post by prh »

Irish27 wrote:I would save Cloney for game 2 in hope they can get by Sam Houston State without him. I would start Ming in game 1.
I always like this strategy, but am a little nervous as this backfired for my team in HS state playoffs.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Cloney hasn't been very good the last two games, so I'm very hesitant to do that.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

azcat49 wrote:Very tough regional. TT is a very good club, much better than LL last year so advancing would he quite the feet.
was surprised by that placement. I know it isn't a perfect snake 1 v 32, 16 v 17, and there are regional considerations, but putting us against a national seed as a 2 means they dropped us well out of the top 25.

TTU did pound us...but it was also a mid-week game on the way home from a very competitive 3 game/3 day showcase in Frisco...
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Cloney proved to be mentally tough last year, though. After ULL pounded him, the fanbase thought he was done and was ready to go Bannister/Ginkel/Ming.

But he was mentally tough and ended up being our best pitcher from that point on.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

EVCat wrote:Cloney proved to be mentally tough last year, though. After ULL pounded him, the fanbase thought he was done and was ready to go Bannister/Ginkel/Ming.

But he was mentally tough and ended up being our best pitcher from that point on.
I wouldn't say he ended up our best pitcher from that point on. He certainly had the best most dominant game at the best time against Coastal Carolina, but Bannister was by far our best and when he went down it's no coincidence we couldn't pull off the title. Dalbec was great all postseason long as well of course. Cloney pitched only one other game the entire postseason and that was a win against UCSB.

Either way this team doesn't have the pitching to beat Tech regardless how well Cloney plays.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

EVCat wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Very tough regional. TT is a very good club, much better than LL last year so advancing would he quite the feet.
was surprised by that placement. I know it isn't a perfect snake 1 v 32, 16 v 17, and there are regional considerations, but putting us against a national seed as a 2 means they dropped us well out of the top 25.

TTU did pound us...but it was also a mid-week game on the way home from a very competitive 3 game/3 day showcase in Frisco...

I agree EV. I was surprised we were put against the 5 seed. I would have thought we would have had a better draw given we had the #2 OOC schedule and our OOC RPI.

I like the idea of maybe starting Deason in game 1 and taking our chances that we can out hit SHST. Big gamble but we just are not as deep pitching wise as last year
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Bama hired Auburn''s top assistant to be their head man. Was told a prominent booster came through for us on this one.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

ChooChooCat wrote:Bama hired Auburn''s top assistant to be their head man. Was told a prominent booster came through for us on this one.

Can you expand on what this booster might have done?
SirClinks

Post by SirClinks »

JJ getting a nice raise this off season I bet.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Bama hired Auburn''s top assistant to be their head man. Was told a prominent booster came through for us on this one.

Put a blank check in front of Jay and said write the number it'll take.

Well not exactly that, but in lesser words that''s what took place.
prh

Post by prh »

ChooChooCat wrote:
azcat49 wrote:

Choo, would you happen to know whether this was proactive or reactive to GB actually going after JJ? Also, as always, thanks for the info you provide.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

So is Lopez back on the payroll? Am I mistaken or was that him in the dugout Sunday?
prh

Post by prh »

Jefe wrote:So is Lopez back on the payroll? Am I mistaken or was that him in the dugout Sunday?
Wonder if he came back for Senior Day, those would be his guys
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Ahhh makes sense. I was at a game a few months ago and spotted him chewing seeds standing behind home plate. He couldn't take his eyes off the action
prh

Post by prh »

I'm sure he loves being around the program and the games. Always seemed to generally love it here, and no more stress to deal with.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

prh wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
azcat49 wrote:

Choo, would you happen to know whether this was proactive or reactive to GB actually going after JJ? Also, as always, thanks for the info you provide.
It was reactive, but it's not like Arizona was sitting on its hands or anything. The guy had his salary doubled after the CWS run and we got aggressive asking boosters for help hence the previous 1 million donation and the recent Francona donation.

Either way Jay's number wasn't huge as he wasn't looking for excuses to leave Arizona, but if you have the opportunity to get a raise how can you pass it up? Honestly Byrne would've had to give him an offer that would knock his socks off for him to leave for Bama and thankfully Byrne is very fiscally conservative in regards to coaches of programs who aren't revenue generators.
SirClinks

Post by SirClinks »

Thanks for the info Choo.

Its game day! Time to start another run to Omaha.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Yep, thx Choo (was it Moreno?). Agreed that it is time to start another run for the title. this one will be tougher as going thru Lubbock is not easy
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Looks like weather issues in Lubbock today.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote:Yep, thx Choo (was it Moreno?). Agreed that it is time to start another run for the title. this one will be tougher as going thru Lubbock is not easy
Nah it wasn't Moreno. It was a booster that's well known though.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

prh

Post by prh »

azgreg wrote:
Currently bottom 7th, so it's looking like ~7:30 CT first pitch.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

ChooChooCat wrote:
prh wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
azcat49 wrote:

It was reactive, but it's not like Arizona was sitting on its hands or anything. The guy had his salary doubled after the CWS run and we got aggressive asking boosters for help hence the previous 1 million donation and the recent Francona donation.

Either way Jay's number wasn't huge as he wasn't looking for excuses to leave Arizona, but if you have the opportunity to get a raise how can you pass it up? Honestly Byrne would've had to give him an offer that would knock his socks off for him to leave for Bama and thankfully Byrne is very fiscally conservative in regards to coaches of programs who aren't revenue generators.
Fascinating. So they can just cut him a check and he takes it to the bank? :lol:
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

I knew GB would not hire JJ. Hansen was wrong again.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

No score in the 2nd. FSU lost as the 1 seed so maybe the stars align and we host a super?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

SHST scores first on a throwing error
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

SHST scores first on a throwing error. They are throwing there #2 who has not hone more than 5 innings this year

1-0 into the bottom of the second
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Cats tie it up on the second time through the line up. Should have scored a couple more but a questionable call cost us
prh

Post by prh »

azcat49 wrote:Cats tie it up on the second time through the line up. Should have scored a couple more but a questionable call cost us
I'm not sure why they kept saying there was interference. It was pretty clear that the pitch hit Oliva's back foot, making it a dead ball. No idea what "interference" they kept talking about.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Quintana misses a homer by inches then Get's thrown out at the plate. Having our chances
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

We keep threatening as we had 2 on with no out but we hit into a double play and can't score
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Bad news as SHST hits a 3 run homer to lead 4-1 in the 6th. Missing those chances has a way of catching up to you