2019 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Newportcat

Re: 2019 Season Thread

Post by Newportcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:Close this thread already, the season is long over.
Yep
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

For whatever reason, this has been the most bottom-of-the-barrel school year for the male revenue sports since the Border Conference days. They all just knuckled under, and the women have had to carry the banner for the AD, especially in basketball.

The most disturbing aspect of this virtually unprecedented football-basketball-baseball collapse , to me, has been the lack of adjustment exhibited by the head coaches in the whole experience.

Until, at the end of the season, it's a finger-pointingfest. The turn around needs to come dramatically, and it needs to come next season. I'm seeing zero urgency and little more responsibility exhibited on the part of the HCs to turn this around.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I agree with your assessment G except I give Miller a pass because he had no options to make any changes. We all know he won’t change his system
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

catgrad97 wrote:For whatever reason, this has been the most bottom-of-the-barrel school year for the male revenue sports since the Border Conference days. They all just knuckled under, and the women have had to carry the banner for the AD, especially in basketball.

The most disturbing aspect of this virtually unprecedented football-basketball-baseball collapse , to me, has been the lack of adjustment exhibited by the head coaches in the whole experience.

Until, at the end of the season, it's a finger-pointingfest. The turn around needs to come dramatically, and it needs to come next season. I'm seeing zero urgency and little more responsibility exhibited on the part of the HCs to turn this around.
Couldn’t agree more

Been a terrible year for all three major men’s sports. And agree on coaching too

Women have had to carry them big time

Hopefully 2019-2020 is better
RynoatSecond

Post by RynoatSecond »

I was at tonight's GCU game, another loss....ok, I've had season tickets since 1986 and while I don't make it to all the games, I haven't missed a season opener in that time. Anyway, I have never seen as ineffective a pitching staff as this year's Cats team. The GCU lineup was just teeing off from the 1st inning on.... UA pitchers are fooling no one. They're either afraid to throw it over the plate, and walk a dozen guys in a game and/or serve up BP. At the very least, I have to believe Lawn will not be the pitching coach next year......holy crap, they are awful. We'll never know the true percentage of blame: poor recruiting and/or poor coaching, but at this point it just doesn't matter. It's not tolerable at a school with Arizona's tradition on the diamond. Unacceptable!
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

RynoatSecond wrote:I was at tonight's GCU game, another loss....ok, I've had season tickets since 1986 and while I don't make it to all the games, I haven't missed a season opener in that time. Anyway, I have never seen as ineffective a pitching staff as this year's Cats team. The GCU lineup was just teeing off from the 1st inning on.... UA pitchers are fooling no one. They're either afraid to throw it over the plate, and walk a dozen guys in a game and/or serve up BP. At the very least, I have to believe Lawn will not be the pitching coach next year......holy crap, they are awful. We'll never know the true percentage of blame: poor recruiting and/or poor coaching, but at this point it just doesn't matter. It's not tolerable at a school with Arizona's tradition on the diamond. Unacceptable!
Absolutely agree 100%. We have a staff ERA of 5.79, good for 218 out of 297 D1 Teams. Our pitching makes me want to puke everytime I see it.

Meanwhile our offense has scored 296 runs, good for 4th in the nation. That causes me to be even more irate at the pitching staff. If we had even a hint of a pulse on the mound this team would easily be a tournament team.

Edit..Apparently the NCAA website finally updated their statistics, we are now 257 out of 297 teams with a team ERA of 6.37. What a joke.
Last edited by CopaCat on Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Goazcats gets interviews with Jay and any player made available after games and the interviews with Jay and Nick Quintana were pretty telling. Nick said the younger guys are not bought in whatsoever and Jay said this game was the most unprepared any team he's ever worked with has been for a game. Guy didn't sugar coat it at all about the pitching and said outright it's awful.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I assume Choo he is speaking to the pitchers not buying in? The offense has been outstanding pretty much all year.

A couple years before Lopes won it all in 12 he had the same issue. He told those guys he wouldn’t have another year like that one and he turned over that roster and ran out the malcontents. Have to wonder what JJ does this off season
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Cats go on the road and win game one vs #2 Stanford 6-3!
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Shows you both the potential and the underachieving of this team
Last edited by azcat49 on Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Where did that come from

Nice win! Helps Stanford had 4 errors and we had none

This team has talent
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

And there is the Arizona baseball we have come to know this year
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Yep and they pushed Nardi up a day because they used Flanagan in the 8th in game 1. I think he could start today but it shows how few effective pitchers we have.

I wonder how comfortable JJ will be this off season with that staff. Does he keep them around and hope they improve their command or does he go get some new arms? He bragged about all the guys we had that through 90+ and could get their off speed over for strikes. Needless to say they will have something to prove next season
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Looks like the cats will drop another Mid week game, this time to a pretty good NMST team. Still wonder how many of these useless pitchers we will jettison and what happens to Dave Lawn. Can the cats salvage a winning season? Has JJ ever had a sub .500 year?
RynoatSecond

Post by RynoatSecond »

I'd say an under .500 season is a lock at this point.

Here's the game story for last night's NMSU game:

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildca ... 1e50b.html" target="_blank

Two points from that:

#1 This Gonzalez kid for the Aggies went to Cienega, one of the best hitters in the country, playing for NMSU and not UofA? Another recruiting failure...

#2 Story mentioned two JUCO recruits for next year were voted pitcher of the year in their leagues. I hope that ability can transfer to the big time Pac-12...
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

RynoatSecond wrote: #2 Story mentioned two JUCO recruits for next year were voted pitcher of the year in their leagues. I hope that ability can transfer to the big time Pac-12...
They're the only lefthanders for the incoming recruiting class as well, hell at this point just hope they make it to campus.

As far as not recruiting the Cienega kid, eh. Our bats ain't the problem.
RynoatSecond

Post by RynoatSecond »

Here's the link to story on the Oregon series:

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildca ... 6f559.html" target="_blank

I thought there was one interesting tidbit about Oregon in there. They actually have a higher on base % than slugging %, which you occasionally see for some players, but pretty rare for an entire team. What does it mean? Oregon walks a ton, UA pitchers just get the ball over the plate! Also, since Oregon's slugging % is so low, they don't scare you with power so there's no reason to get cute on the corners.....THROW STRIKES!!!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

3 game sweep of the ducks. Today we won 28-6. Scored 15 in the first two innings. That is just ridiculous. As often said, nothing wrong with our offense.

I think that puts us at 10-14 in conference with USC and wazzu left? Can we get to .500 and 30 wins?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Such a shame we've wasted such great bats like Dyer, Cannon, and Quintana on this season. None will be back next year.
RynoatSecond

Post by RynoatSecond »

Does anyone know why ASU is only coming to Hi Corbett once this year? The "rule" had always been one official 3 game series and then two Tuesday single games over the course of the season at the other park. Not sure what happened this year...

This team's offense may be the best I've seen in all the years I've followed UofA baseball (since 1986). Other teams in Arizona baseball history have averaged 9-10 runs/game, but that was back when the aluminum bat was allowed to be hopped up. In recent years, the rules have forced them to be toned down a bit, but you wouldn't know it from this year's squad, just tremendous. If someone told George Horton (Oregon coach) that the Ducks would score 21 runs this weekend, he'd have to believe they'd win at least two, not zero!

Speaking of Horton, he just allowed his starter today(Kafka) to just get destroyed. I mean everybody did, but I think he gave up 10 runs himself. Horton was acting like Oregon's already got an NCAA bid wrapped up and that is far from the case, especially after this weekend. I'm pretty sure the next NCAA field projections will have them out.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Oregon an NCAA team? I don’t see that at all. The first game they made 6 errors. They might be 1 game above .500. If they make it in, one would have to think Nike money. Cal is a much better teAm and would deserve a bid far before Oregon
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:Such a shame we've wasted such great bats like Dyer, Cannon, and Quintana on this season. None will be back next year.
Yep

No way Dave lawn is back next year
RynoatSecond

Post by RynoatSecond »

Wow, I didn't realize Oregon has lost 10 of their last 11. I looked at a field projection 2-3 weeks ago and they were in, but definitely not now! Sorry I was so off on that.......

Yeah, Cal looks to be in, and maybe Washington has an outside chance.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

ASSU in town tonight. Weems getting the start. Sounds like a night where we will trot out a bunch out of the pen hoping for 3 good innings from each of them.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote:ASSU in town tonight. Weems getting the start. Sounds like a night where we will trot out a bunch out of the pen hoping for 3 good innings from each of them.
Pitching blew a lead late, who could've guessed?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Cats win big tonight over USC 12-4. Never really threatened as Labaut threw 7 innings only allowing a few runs.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Cats sweep USC although the third game was rained out. Moves us to 13-15 with 3 games against Wazzu and 4 games OOC. Would a 15-14 mark in conference give us any consideration
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote:Cats sweep USC although the third game was rained out. Moves us to 13-15 with 3 games against Wazzu and 4 games OOC. Would a 15-14 mark in conference give us any consideration
Third game wasn't rained out, USC bitched out of the third game.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

That is interesting Choo. I assume due to a tight travel schedule? I thought they would have had time given the full day on Sunday. Wonder what Larry Scott and the gang thinks
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote:That is interesting Choo. I assume due to a tight travel schedule? I thought they would have had time given the full day on Sunday. Wonder what Larry Scott and the gang thinks
They could've changed travel arrangements, but the possibility of another delay was their excuse not to. Larry won't care.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

So Arizona is now 26-24 with a RPI of 58 after sweeping Sam Houston State last night. Final two series are both on the road, but against not very good to really bad teams in Penn State (21-24) and Wazzu (10-36-1). Win the next 6 and Arizona MAY have an outside shot of sneaking into the dance. We were left out of the dance last year because we finished 14-16 in conference play, if we sweep Wazzu that would put us at 15-14 and of course 32-24 overall. I wouldn't count on it, but there's still an outside shot here.
RynoatSecond

Post by RynoatSecond »

The only chance Arizona has to make the tournament is if the NCAA puts a lot of stock in the last 10 games record, provided Arizona can win out. Even if they do that, their ISR/RPI just isn't good enough. The general ranking cut off point each year for making it as an at large team is around 42-44 with some exceptions (Kentucky didn't make it last year as a 30, because they were under .500 in SEC play).

As far as the Pac-12, right now five teams SHOULD make it (UCLA, Stanford, Oregon State, ASU, Cal). Given the NCAA committees proclivities to screw the west coast, if I'm Cal I would make sure to have a good last two weeks. It's ridiculous how many teams come out of the SEC and ACC. Are they that much better than the Pac-12? In football and basketball, heck yes. Baseball? No way.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... -64-51519/" target="_blank

Last Four In
Connecticut
Tennessee
Clemson
Virginia

First Four Out
San Diego State
Wake Forest
Arizona
Oklahoma

Next Four Out
Washington
Iowa
Louisiana Tech
Gonzaga
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PAC-12 Arizona is replying the 2012 championship game against S Carolina right now.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Cats roll in Happy Valley 11-2 keeping their slim at large hopes alive
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Cats have 6 runs across in the top of the 1st. Beating a Big 10 team has its merits. Our win last night pushed us from #65 to #53 in RPI. If we can win the last 5 we would be in the low 40’s probably
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah winning out may actually sneak us into the tournament
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

10-zip in the 4th, cats
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Cats win 15-5!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So you beat a shitty big 10 team and you jump more than beating a decent USC team....riiiiight
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Cats up 6-0 in the top of the 4th in game three against Penn State.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

9-0 now. Nothing wrong with our bats as we have seen all year

Edit: 9-4 in the bottom of the 8th. PSU has two runners on with 2 outs.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Cats sweep winning game three 9-5. Our vaunted bullpen gave up 5 in three innings after Flanagan had shut them out through 6
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

We're adding a grad transfer pitcher from Bama for next year.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Is Nardi a junior and if so is he expected to be drafted and leave the program?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote:Is Nardi a junior and if so is he expected to be drafted and leave the program?
Yes he is a junior and he is expected to be drafted. Don't know if it'll be high enough for him to leave or not, depends what he's looking for. Regardless of the rough season, scouts still love him.