2023 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

2023 Season Thread

Post by azgreg »

Chip needs to recruit some left handed hitters.
EastCoastCat

Re: 2023 Season Thread

Post by EastCoastCat »

And some more pitching. Can never have enough depth we have seen.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

azgreg wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:19 am Chip needs to recruit some left handed hitters.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Well, we also swing at a lot of bad pitches from both sides of the plate.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Need a lot of parts. Turley was a bust at first base. I think he struck out 14 times on his last 21 at bats.

I think Bullard is out of eligibility and not sure about Bingham and Plaugh. Davis comes back but we also need a catcher unless Lilaberte is an every game catcher?

Staff wise we need all kinds of help, I think Nichols, Netz and Murphy come back but the last two seem to be always hurt.

And what about Lawn as our pitching coach? Is he is the guy to lead us going forward under Chip? He was a great help in this transition but he is pretty old and we could use some youth on that staff
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

We’re gonna be a Chase Davis and that’s about it next year.
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:11 pm We’re gonna be a Chase Davis and that’s about it next year.
Sure are a-lot of transfers for a team that will have plenty of playing time available. A little worried about the direction Chip is taking us unless he drastically improves recruiting, retention, and hitting the transfer portal. Might need a different pitching coach too.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Baseball team landed a grad transfer reliever in Derek Drees from Butler. Was second team Big East and led the conference in ERA.

https://butlersports.com/sports/basebal ... rees/10277
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Turley was terrible last year. I think he struck out 15 times in his last 20AB’s.

Would like to know why we haven’t been more active with the portal? Are we going to just plug and play our recruiting class?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:20 pm Turley was terrible last year. I think he struck out 15 times in his last 20AB’s.

Would like to know why we haven’t been more active with the portal? Are we going to just plug and play our recruiting class?
I don’t know how to put this nicely, but we’ve tried to land numerous players in the portal and have struck out on them all to this point except that Butler pitcher.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Thx Choo. I know we had a ton of questions about Hale but is it panic button time?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azcat49 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:29 pm Thx Choo. I know we had a ton of questions about Hale but is it panic button time?
Looking forward to Choo's response, but it sure sounds like it to me 49.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

How many panic buttons does Arizona sports actually possess?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:30 am How many panic buttons does Arizona sports actually possess?
All of them
-JB
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:29 pm Thx Choo. I know we had a ton of questions about Hale but is it panic button time?
Just better hope that this staff can develop talent and that the Tucson area has lots of baseball talent.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Yea that does not sound good at all. Panic mode engaged
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

So, I assume "celebratory props" are things like the Angels cowboy hat worn in the dugout after a homer and the various oversized neck chains, sledge hammers, pick axes, hard hats, and whatever else are sometimes worn on a college football sideline after a big play/touchdown, right? Doesn't do anything for me, but so what? Brick in the wall time: teacher, leave them kids alone. The NCAA doesn't have other things to focus on? How about "justice delayed is justice denied?" In the wake of the rapidly changing face of college sports with the TWO? superconferences, media rights, and NIL, this seems a bit thimble-dicked to me. As always...nice job, NCAA.
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:38 am
Just better hope that this staff can develop talent and that the Tucson area has lots of baseball talent.
So basically our staff wants to be in a retirement community on the golf course instead of recruiting. That sounds nice.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well we have commitments from a bunch of guys and we have a big class coming In So I take that comment from Choo to mean they are not top rated and we need to develop them.

I heard from one guy who knows Chip (former player in the bigs) who said the late draft means they have to wait to see who leaves before they can really work the portal effectively to build the roster?

I would hate to see Chip fail. Hoping he has a plan and is working it. Meanwhile our former guy is crushing it in the bayou
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Bullard pulls out of the transfer portal, https://www.azdesertswarm.com/arizona-b ... draft-2023
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:59 pm Well we have commitments from a bunch of guys and we have a big class coming In So I take that comment from Choo to mean they are not top rated and we need to develop them.

I heard from one guy who knows Chip (former player in the bigs) who said the late draft means they have to wait to see who leaves before they can really work the portal effectively to build the roster?

I would hate to see Chip fail. Hoping he has a plan and is working it. Meanwhile our former guy is crushing it in the bayou
Chip’s highest rated incoming recruit was chosen in the 7th round by the DBacks today. Basically guaranteed he won’t make it to campus.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Chrisantes the shortstop by the D-Backs. It seems very hard to get a grip on baseball recruiting given the best guys get drafted and never hit campus. Always wondered how JJ got Susac and Berry to spend a couple years in college and maybe Hale can use a similar pitch to this guy?

Looks like Bullard, Irvin, O’Tremba might be back? Hopefully now that the draft is over we get heavily involved in the portal
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

You never know about some guy suddenly deciding to take whatever crumbs he's offered, but based on history and the way things usually go, our post-draft roster seems pretty solid to me, even assuming Demetrio Crisantes signs. In terms of returning position players, you've likely got:

SS Nik McGlaughry
RF Tanner O'Tremba
LF Chase Davis
CF Mac Bingham
1B Tommy Splaine
3B Tony Bullard
2B Garen Caulfield
C Cameron LaLiberte
IF Jack Grant
IF Tyler Casagrande

Key newcomers (unless things changed since last I heard) include:

1B/C Kiko Romero (JC)
OF Emilio Santos (JC)
OF TJ Adams
IF Xavier Esquer
C Kade Huff
C Luke Moeller

Pitching returns:

RHP TJ Nichols
RHP Anthony Susac
RHP Chris Barraza
RHP Trevor Long
RHP Dawson Netz
LHP Eric Orloff

Key additions (and sorry if I don't have somebody's can't-miss favorite) include:

RHP Derek Drees from Butler
RHP Aiden May (JC)
RHP Owen Kramkowski

If anybody knows if LHP Drew Sommers from CAC is likely to be on the roster, he might be another good addition. If I'm missing somebody big or including somebody who's likely gone, I'd appreciate the info. But if the above is mostly right, I don't see why we can't maintain our level of competitiveness, particularly if the incoming pitchers can be solid contributors.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Just my opinion, but I bet O’Tremba turns pro and gets his career started. Hope he comes back but he had a great year and that’s as high as he went? Just don’t see him climbing into the top 5 rounds if he stays
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Ordinarily, once you get into the teen rounds of the draft, you've got a pretty good chance of hanging onto a player for another year. But, based on the Arizona Baseball twitter response, it sounds like somebody thinks O'Tremba will jump at the Giants in Round 15. If it's a good fit personnel-wise to make an organization, and when it's one of the more impressive historical teams out there, certainly can't feel bad if he signs. Just wish they wouldn't have gone fishing so late if it's at our expense.
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

azcat49 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:59 pm Well we have commitments from a bunch of guys and we have a big class coming In So I take that comment from Choo to mean they are not top rated and we need to develop them.

I took the 2nd half of his post to mean that the staff doesn't seem very willing to recruit hard outside of the Tucson area. Thus my Golf Course and Retirement community comment.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

CopaCat wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:09 pm

I took the 2nd half of his post to mean that the staff doesn't seem very willing to recruit hard outside of the Tucson area. Thus my Golf Course and Retirement community comment.
Why is everyone sounding so negative about Chip? I am not panicking or jumping off the boat. I thought Chip did a great job in his first year. Let Chip bring in his players. We all know the high school rankings are just that, rankings. Out of all the sports, baseball is where a kid can make one of the biggest improvements in college.

I really liked what Daniel Susac said at the end of this year. He said he was happy he stayed and played under Chip than leaving and going with JJ. To me that says plenty.

Finally, now that we know JJ was never planning on staying. I have no doubt if the LSU job had not opened up, he would of bolted to another school like Texas if he was offered. Chip has already said he has no intention of leaving. That brings stability to the program.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think the concern is that we knew JJ was a recruiting hound and he brought in a number of top 250 players that got us to Omaha. The program had returned to its expectations.

Right now we still don’t know if Chip can recruit but we know he bleeds red and blue. He hasn’t worked California hard or at least with success and that is problematic. Choo mentioned that Heeke took the easy route with Chip rather than really go hard after Chekitts or Wojo at Oregon.

I doubt anyone is off the Chip Hale bandwagon but many of us certainly have some concerns about the future. I think with any coaching change that would be natural. Even when JJ replaced Lopes I know I had concerns.
Last edited by azcat49 on Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Irish27 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:56 pm

Why is everyone sounding so negative about Chip? I am not panicking or jumping off the boat. I thought Chip did a great job in his first year. Let Chip bring in his players. We all know the high school rankings are just that, rankings. Out of all the sports, baseball is where a kid can make one of the biggest improvements in college.

I really liked what Daniel Susac said at the end of this year. He said he was happy he stayed and played under Chip than leaving and going with JJ. To me that says plenty.

Finally, now that we know JJ was never planning on staying. I have no doubt if the LSU job had not opened up, he would of bolted to another school like Texas if he was offered. Chip has already said he has no intention of leaving. That brings stability to the program.
Because at this point the only two regions he can seemingly recruit is Arizona and Illinois. I don't know how much you're going to ultimately win when that is the case.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TheCatInTheHat wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:15 pm Ordinarily, once you get into the teen rounds of the draft, you've got a pretty good chance of hanging onto a player for another year. But, based on the Arizona Baseball twitter response, it sounds like somebody thinks O'Tremba will jump at the Giants in Round 15. If it's a good fit personnel-wise to make an organization, and when it's one of the more impressive historical teams out there, certainly can't feel bad if he signs. Just wish they wouldn't have gone fishing so late if it's at our expense.
Nah, basically if you're a college player and you get drafted the odds are you're signing no matter where you get drafted. It's only HS players that get drafted into the teens and especially in the last two rounds of the draft that have a decent chance of not signing.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Recruiting is a young man's game. I think Chip is going to struggle.
-JB
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Super nice guy who I just wonder if he has the cutthroat mentality to succeed at the highest level of recruiting.

I have no doubt he will coach them up but I sure wish he had younger coaches on staff. Dave Lawn has to be in his 60’s and the other guy is late 50’s. It’s a staff like in Kindalls last years with an ancient Jerry Stitt and Jim Wing
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

azcat49 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:20 pm I doubt anyone is off the Chip Hale bandwagon but many of us certainly have some concerns about the future. I think with any coaching change that would be natural. Even when JJ replaced Lopes I know I had concerns.
I was never on the Chip bandwagon to begin with. Thought it was a bad hire then and a worse hire now.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

Irish27 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:56 pm

I'm not negative, more like realistic. We will see if Chip can recruit like a beast in his late 50's after never having been a college recruiter/coach in his entire career. Maybe he can? But he will need to understand recruiting is no picnic, especially with people like Jay Johnson slicing and dicing the recruiting trail using any tactic necessary.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

And as far as local recruits Chip didn't get Isaiah Jackson from Cienega who is a top 250 prospect who got drafted in the 500s. He's going to ASU. His brother Andre played at Utah and got called up to the Dodgers last year.
-JB
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:38 am And as far as local recruits Chip didn't get Isaiah Jackson from Cienega who is a top 250 prospect who got drafted in the 500s. He's going to ASU. His brother Andre played at Utah and got called up to the Dodgers last year.
To be fair he was committed to ASU before Chip ever got the job.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:18 pm Recruiting is a young man's game.
His two assistant hires were the reddest of red flags for me personally, because of this. The Head coach has to be a closer, which Chip is more than capable of doing, but yeah recruiting is a young man's game. His two assistants are far from young.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Maybe we can use our Gonzaga connections and throw everything at the Gonzaga pitching coach to come here and give Lawn the boot he has been trying to get for so long with his performance.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Crisantes signed with the DBacks and Bow signed with the Yankees. All our commitment draftees have signed.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Fantastic
-JB
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

They need to upgrade the fan amenities. Those bleachers need to go and they need a beer garden that is shaded
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Biggest thing is both White and Garcia are left handed hitters. Last year we had only Davis hitting from that side. Teams could load up righties against us but this year they won’t be able to do that. We could have 4 lefties if Casagrande makes a move into the lineup
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Opening day lineup will likely look something like this:

C - Splaine/Laliberte
1B - Kiko Romero
2B - Caulfield
3B - Bullard
SS - McClaughry
LF - Davis
CF - Bingham
RF - Casagrande/Emilio Corona
DH - Splaine/Laliberte/White

In the long term if neither Big House or Corona are getting it done in RF then move Romero there and Splaine can go back to 1B.