Fall practice has begun & there is a lot to look forward to

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Irish27

Fall practice has begun & there is a lot to look forward to

Post by Irish27 »

If this team stays healthy, they will be contending for a national title. They have all the pieces in place.
http://allsportstucson.com/2016/10/03/a ... -for-2017/" target="_blank
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Irish27

Re: Fall practice has begun & there is a lot to look forward

Post by Irish27 »

Cats start the fall season in impressive fashion, winning 13-0 and 16-0. I think this could be Candrea's most complete team since the 2001 team. With a healthy Alyssa Palomino, she opens up this offense even more and it will definitely benefit Katiyana Mauga, who by the way is 29 home runs from becoming the all-time NCAA home run leader.

http://www.arizonawildcats.com/news/201 ... pener.aspx" target="_blank
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Man if we had Palomino last year we likely go to the CWS. Her and Mulipola are killing it in fall practice.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Took this from Greg Byrne's Wildcat Wednesday:

With fall softball wrapping up a few weeks ago, there is a sense that the 2017 season could be a special one for head coach Mike Candrea and our softball program. We could go into the different reasons why there is so much excitement, but we’ll let Coach Candrea do it for us. He sent the following letter to previous season ticket holders and it will give you an inside look at what’s to come for Arizona softball.

Well, it is hard to believe that softball season is around the corner and we are so excited for the 2017 season to arrive! I just wanted to take this time to share with you a quick outlook of our team this year, as I find myself feeling very good about this team. I feel we have all the pieces in order to make a strong run in the Pac-12 Conference as well as a deep run in the postseason. We lost only one player (Lauren Young) from last year’s Super Regional team that was one game from a return trip to Oklahoma City. Our goal this year is to play as many games in postseason as we can at Hillenbrand Stadium. We hope that you will continue to purchase your season tickets and more importantly help us return as the #1 team in attendance in college softball.

Why am I so excited about the upcoming season? Well, we return a large senior class that consist of five seniors (Alexis Dotson, Michelle Floyd, Katiyana Mauga, Mo Mercado, Eva Watson) and three fifth-year seniors (Nancy Bowling, Danielle O’Toole, Mandie Perez). This will be a team with great experience along with a talented group of underclassmen that will contribute to the success of this team. Alyssa Palomino (niece of Arizona great Toni Mascarenas) will be making her debut after suffering an ACL tear last year. She will provide some serious power in the middle of our lineup to complement Mauga and Mercado. Along with Palomino, we return starters Taylor McQuillin, Ashleigh Hughes, Joelle Krist and DP Tamara Statman. Our freshman class, who was ranked in the top 3 in the country, will include catcher Dejah Mulipola (Garden Grove, California), who is a very talented young lady that can hit with power and the top catching prospect in the country. Jessica Harper from Stevenson Ranch, California is a talented middle infielder that has serious home run power and will hit somewhere in the middle of our lineup. Jess led the PGF National Tournament last year in home runs and we feel like she will be an impact player this year. Also in the freshman class is a very talented middle infielder, Reyna Carranco from Oxnard, California. Reyna possesses very good hands and can hit with power, short game and has good speed. Rounding out the freshman class is Malia Martinez, who plays the corners and is from San Diego, California and Jaycee Lindley another middle infielder from Mesa, Arizona. This class has brought great competition during our fall season and will make this team so much better.

This team is working extremely hard and I feel possesses everything that is necessary for a deep run this year. This team will provide Hillenbrand Stadium with some exciting moments and most of all a winning attitude and all the pieces to the puzzle that is necessary for a highly successful year.

We hope that you will make it a point to renew your season tickets and join us for an exciting 2017 Arizona Softball Season!

Bear Down,

Coach Candrea