Post by azgreg »

ChooChooCat

Re: 2019 Softball Season Thread

Post by ChooChooCat »

Palomino to DP and this girl to 1B?
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

ChooChooCat wrote:Palomino to DP and this girl to 1B?
I can't see Candrea moving Alyssa to DP as she is a solid first baseman. I can see Candrea giving Pierce some playing time at first, but I see her more as the DP. Palomino is the team's vocal leader and you don't put a player like her on the bench when the team is on the field.

The conference is loaded next year and the Cats should be one of the favorites to win it.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Marissa Schuld makes Maxprep's 1st team HS All America team as an utility player. Izzy Pacho makes 2nd team.

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/article.aspx? ... axprepsapp" target="_blank
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Schuld named player of the year.
https://www.azdesertswarm.com/softball/ ... r-wildcats" target="_blank
shimdic

Post by shimdic »

Irish27 wrote:Schuld named player of the year.

I'm glad to see there's now three options for pitching. I hope Schuld is amazing along with the other two.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

shimdic wrote:

I'm glad to see there's now three options for pitching. I hope Schuld is amazing along with the other two.
Vanessa Foreman is coming in too and provides another option for pitching. She went 11-2 with a 1.05 ERA this year.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
shimdic wrote:

Vanessa Foreman is coming in too and provides another option for pitching. She went 11-2 with a 1.05 ERA this year.
I would hope Candrea red-shirts her but he rarely does that. Unless McQuillin, Denham or Schuld get hurt, Foreman won't see much action next year. She will need to make the most of it when she gets the opportunity during non-conference play.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Irish27 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
shimdic wrote:

I would hope Candrea red-shirts her but he rarely does that. Unless McQuillin, Denham or Schuld get hurt, Foreman won't see much action next year. She will need to make the most of it when she gets the opportunity during non-conference play.
Yeah I agree, just saying she is another actual option if worse came to worse. As far as the freshmen go I'd only expect contributions immediately from Schuld, Pacho, and probably Kuderca.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

azgreg wrote:
Why didn't Alyssa Palomino play?
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

https://arizonawildcats.com/news/2018/1 ... 01918.aspx" target="_blank

This is the team that is going to get the Cats back to the College World Series. The offense is so potent and Candrea has 3-4 pitchers he can confidently throw out there. Finally, I think Kean is going to have a huge year.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Irish27 wrote:https://arizonawildcats.com/news/2018/1 ... 01918.aspx

This is the team that is going to get the Cats back to the College World Series. The offense is so potent and Candrea has 3-4 pitchers he can confidently throw out there. Finally, I think Kean is going to have a huge year.
I think Ivy Davis will as well.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

MrMeow wrote:
azgreg wrote:
No official word, but she's been practicing. Could just be precautionary.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

ChooChooCat wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Still no Palomino.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

MrMeow wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Still no Palomino.
Knee soreness. Day to day.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Looks like Marissa Schuld played in the outfield all but one game of fall ball. What's with that?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

MrMeow wrote:Looks like Marissa Schuld played in the outfield all but one game of fall ball. What's with that?
She plays OF and pitches. Arizona will use her at both positions because she has a hell of a bat as well.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

ChooChooCat wrote:
MrMeow wrote:Looks like Marissa Schuld played in the outfield all but one game of fall ball. What's with that?
She plays OF and pitches. Arizona will use her at both positions because she has a hell of a bat as well.
Maybe not so wierd. A couple of years ago Oklahoma had a center fielder (from Houston, don't remember her name) who also pitched, and pretty much saved the Sooner's bacon in the Series. Was reputed to be the team's best player.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

MrMeow wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Maybe not so wierd. A couple of years ago Oklahoma had a center fielder (from Houston, don't remember her name) who also pitched, and pretty much saved the Sooner's bacon in the Series. Was reputed to be the team's best player.
UCLA's ace also bats plenty.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

ChooChooCat wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
but Rachel Garcia only pitches, no other position when not pitching.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

MrMeow wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
but Rachel Garcia only pitches, no other position when not pitching.
Well our girl is superior, duh! If and when she's the ace she probably won't ever play in the OF, but right now it makes sense to get our best bats in the lineup.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Well our girl is superior, duh! If and when she's the ace she probably won't ever play in the OF, but right now it makes sense to get our best bats in the lineup.

Hopefully, some day you will be proven correct, but aren't you a little early in crowning Marissa as superior to Rachel Garcia? duh!
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Generally speaking, Candrea hasn't liked using his starting / star pitcher at the plate, regardless of how well they bat.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:Generally speaking, Candrea hasn't liked using his starting / star pitcher at the plate, regardless of how well they bat.
Yeah if she becomes the ace after this year I don't see Candrea using her bat much or at the very least she won't play in the OF. The outfield in general is questionable in regards to bats this season, so that's why playing her there when she's not pitching may make the most sense. Next season the outfield should be more settled and two highly rated girls are coming in at that spot, so I doubt she'll play there again. I could see Candrea using her as the ace and DP though in the future.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:Generally speaking, Candrea hasn't liked using his starting / star pitcher at the plate, regardless of how well they bat.
Yeah if she becomes the ace after this year I don't see Candrea using her bat much or at the very least she won't play in the OF. The outfield in general is questionable in regards to bats this season, so that's why playing her there when she's not pitching may make the most sense. Next season the outfield should be more settled and two highly rated girls are coming in at that spot, so I doubt she'll play there again. I could see Candrea using her as the ace and DP though in the future.
I can see Candrea playing her when she does not pitch. He has done it in the past with Finch, Gladding and Allen. It has been awhile since they have had a pitcher who he feels comfortable playing her on the field when not pitching.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

azgreg wrote:
I'm wondering where they're going to play games this season since the stadium is still a half finished construction zone.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
azgreg wrote:
I'm wondering where they're going to play games this season since the stadium is still a half finished construction zone.
First game is on Valentine's day, so they've got over a month to at least be mostly done. I imagine they'll be working weekends now.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

ChooChooCat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
azgreg wrote:
First game is on Valentine's day, so they've got over a month to at least be mostly done. I imagine they'll be working weekends now.
Just took a look at the webcam. Valentines Day? Good luck with that.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Could they play at Hi Corbett or too hard to schedule around baseball?

I saw a womens pro game there years ago when Jennie Finch pitched.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

MrMeow wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
azgreg wrote:
It'll be similar to the ZonaZoo renovation in the football stadium. It won't be complete, but it'll be useable. It's an outdoor stadium and the structural foundation is already done for Christ's sakes, a ton will get done in a month.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

ChooChooCat wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
azgreg wrote:
It'll be similar to the ZonaZoo renovation in the football stadium. It won't be complete, but it'll be useable. It's an outdoor stadium and the structural foundation is already done for Christ's sakes, a ton will get done in a month.
I've built a few things, and from the looks of it at least 2 months is required for a completed stadium. Too bad whatever construction company was hired couldn't keep pace, because our girls will be limping for at least a month, maybe more.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

2 UCLA
5 Washington
7 Arizona
11 Arizona State
12 Oregon
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Sounds like the plan is for Palomino to play in the OF again this year. If I'm Candrea I can't play her in center though. I guess we'll see. The lineup is probably going to look like this IMO:

C - Dejah Mulipola
1B - Rylee Pierce
2B - Reyna Carranco
3B - Malia Martinez
SS - Jessie Harper
LF - Ivy Davis
CF - Jenna Kean
RF - Alyssa Palomino
DH - Edior/Pacho/Schuld

Friday/Sunday starter: Taylor McQuillin
Saturday starter: Marissa Schuld/Alyssa Denham
Rotational: Hanah Bowen
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Alyssa gets the season off with a bang as she homers in the bottom of the first. The Cats are up 1-0 over Michigan.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Cats open the season with a 2-1 victory over #19 Michigan.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Lovely start to the season. Let's keep it going!
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

I really feel this is the team that gets Candrea back to Oklahoma City. Pitching is what gets you there and he has a lot of depth. As for open positions, I think right field is up for grabs. He started Edior in both games, probably because she is a senior. I hope he gives Campbell a shot in right. She can cover any position in the outfield and is a better hitter than Edior. Edior is better used coming off the bench and playing many positions.

I am looking forward to see how they compete with Florida this morning. Playing a top ranked team in their state, I expect they won't play scared. They have a lot of veterans on this team.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Irish27 wrote:I really feel this is the team that gets Candrea back to Oklahoma City. Pitching is what gets you there and he has a lot of depth. As for open positions, I think right field is up for grabs. He started Edior in both games, probably because she is a senior. I hope he gives Campbell a shot in right. She can cover any position in the outfield and is a better hitter than Edior. Edior is better used coming off the bench and playing many positions.

I am looking forward to see how they compete with Florida this morning. Playing a top ranked team in their state, I expect they won't play scared. They have a lot of veterans on this team.
I think we'll see a different lineup today. Looks like he's still trying to figure out who best meshes up at LF, RF, and DP. He had the same exact lineup plan for both games yesterday including having Peanut Martinez and Carli Campbell replace Edior and Ivy Davis at the end of the game to get their final at bats and play defense. I'd expect to see Schuld get some time today in the OF.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Can't believe I totally forgot about Jenna Kean. Saw she played right field in the win against Illinois State. She should be the starter if she is healthy.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

woulda loved to get a W vs florida, but you can't win them all.

Irish, I'm with you in that I think this is Coach's best chance to get back to OK City in some time. If not this year, when?

MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Irish27 wrote:Can't believe I totally forgot about Jenna Kean. Saw she played right field in the win against Illinois State. She should be the starter if she is healthy.
I was pleasantly surprised to see Hanah Bowen pitched that game, too. Good off season work by Taryne?
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

MrMeow wrote:
Irish27 wrote:Can't believe I totally forgot about Jenna Kean. Saw she played right field in the win against Illinois State. She should be the starter if she is healthy.
I was pleasantly surprised to see Hanah Bowen pitched that game, too. Good off season work by Taryne?
Mowatt has definitely been an asset. It's nice to see they have more than one or two pitchers who Candrea can call on.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Just lost 4-1 to NC State who finished 8 games under .500 last year. Taylor McQuillin is just really bad in relief appearances and we had the bases jacked twice and came away empty both times. This team can't score unless they hit homers and has gotten absolutely nothing out of its 6-9 hitters in 5 games. It doesn't look like this will be the team to get us back to OKC. If this team ain't it it makes you wonder if Candrea will ever get back at this point.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

ChooChooCat wrote:Just lost 4-1 to NC State who finished 8 games under .500 last year. Taylor McQuillin is just really bad in relief appearances and we had the bases jacked twice and came away empty both times. This team can't score unless they hit homers and has gotten absolutely nothing out of its 6-9 hitters in 5 games. It doesn't look like this will be the team to get us back to OKC. If this team ain't it it makes you wonder if Candrea will ever get back at this point.
Wow, it's only the first weekend. There is no way today's line-up will be the line-up when conference play begins. Looking forward to watching this team as I believe they can make it to Oklahoma City.