2019 Softball Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UAEebs86

Re: 2019 Softball Season Thread

Post by UAEebs86 »

Oh FFS
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Well foo
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Should have started Denham. Not that it would have mattered with our mistakes out there.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

APC with the homer again. nice.
let's get more
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Not getting any runs in the bottom of the 6th really was the game. You have to get the runs in against a team as good as UCLA.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Dang. 6-2 loss.
most painful part was the horrible mistakes we made in the field.

get that out of our system, we've got a hard road ahead of us, but we can still do this

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

On the bright side we get to watch our girls play tomorrow instead of waiting until Sunday.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

azgreg wrote:On the bright side we get to watch our girls play tomorrow instead of waiting until Sunday.
Always look on the bright side :)

pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

azgreg wrote:On the bright side we get to watch our girls play tomorrow instead of waiting until Sunday.
Big challenge for coaches and team to regain composure and enthusiasm tomorrow...

... couldn’t have three better personalities on the staff for that challenge than Candrea, Mowat and Lowe, though.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Bummer they couldn’t get it done tonight. Who do we face tomorrow?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49 wrote:Bummer they couldn’t get it done tonight. Who do we face tomorrow?
Winner of Washington/Minnesota. When we win that one we move down to the other pod.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azgreg wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Bummer they couldn’t get it done tonight. Who do we face tomorrow?
Winner of Washington/Minnesota. When we win that one we move down to the other pod.
No, we get the winner of Bama/Florida. If we win that then we get the OU/OSU winner from tonight. We literally switched to the other side of the bracket.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
azgreg wrote:
No, we get the winner of Bama/Florida. If we win that then we get the OU/OSU winner from tonight. We literally switched to the other side of the bracket.
Just saw that. I thought the switch occurred later. If you look at the bracket there is a line going from the winners bracket game straight down to the game with the winner from the Washington/Minnesota game.

https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/softball/d1/2019/cws" target="_blank
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

On the bright side I'm all for the opportunity to knock out a SEC team.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

He lady cats may get screwed by this weather delay and lose out on facing heir opponent in he 2nd game of a doubleheader
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Frybry02 wrote:He lady cats may get screwed by this weather delay and lose out on facing heir opponent in he 2nd game of a doubleheader
We'll play them one way or another. If we don't play today it gives McQuillin one more day of rest, which is nice.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:He lady cats may get screwed by this weather delay and lose out on facing heir opponent in he 2nd game of a doubleheader
We'll play them one way or another. If we don't play today it gives McQuillin one more day of rest, which is nice.
I’d would rather have denham today vs most likely a teams #2. I should also be careful what I wish for
prh

Post by prh »

Yeah Denham today and then game 2 tomorrow. That would be my line of thinking. Might be irrelevant now.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I'd still go Denham for the next game.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Am I crazy or is the Washington pitcher throwing illegal pitches every time? It sure doesn't look like she is dragging her trail leg
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Frybry02 wrote:Am I crazy or is the Washington pitcher throwing illegal pitches every time? It sure doesn't look like she is dragging her trail leg
Looks like a little hop to me as well.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Am I watching the right game. Is Bama going to run rule Florida up 11-0 right now?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

prh

Post by prh »

So it seems like our game will start no earlier than 9 AZ time, right? Do they have any rules about late games or is just gotta get them done?

I mean we're getting fucked either way by the weather delay but still.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

prh wrote:So it seems like our game will start no earlier than 9 AZ time, right? Do they have any rules about late games or is just gotta get them done?

I mean we're getting fucked either way by the weather delay but still.
It might hurt for Sunday. But 9 pm is not that late for a west coast team. Not sure what time zone Alabama is in but it would be 11 pm or 12 am. That's an advantage for the Cats.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

The game starts at 11 pm Alabama time
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Game started early.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Well, Denham didn't last very long
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Foo, bases loaded and we come up empty. We need the bats to come alive soon
Last edited by 84Cat on Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

FUCK! Bases loaded, 1 out, and we strike out and line out.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I don't see how we can win if we can't score with the bases loaded.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
prh

Post by prh »

We have far too many wasted at bats. At least 4 times this week we’ve failed to score with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

That was the stupidest fucking stolen base attempt in softball history.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Good season ladies. Maybe next year.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

spent the day traveling so i could only follow sporadically via a box score, so no real idea how the game went, but....

AZCatGirl wrote:Good season ladies. Maybe next year.
^this :)

after 9 years we got back there and this experience should be good for the returning players.

Next year let's take the whole damn thing :)

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I'd say we need to add a transfer pitcher to get back to OKC next year. The bats will be good again and we've got a good incoming class coming in to fill some holes, but pitching is still a question mark for next year at the moment.

For next year 1B, DP, an OF spot, and a pitching spot are up for grabs.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

ChooChooCat wrote:I'd say we need to add a transfer pitcher to get back to OKC next year. The bats will be good again and we've got a good incoming class coming in to fill some holes, but pitching is still a question mark for next year at the moment.

For next year 1B, DP, [b]an OF spot[/b], and a pitching spot are up for grabs.
An OF spot??? Please explain.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

MrMeow wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:I'd say we need to add a transfer pitcher to get back to OKC next year. The bats will be good again and we've got a good incoming class coming in to fill some holes, but pitching is still a question mark for next year at the moment.

For next year 1B, DP, [b]an OF spot[/b], and a pitching spot are up for grabs.
An OF spot??? Please explain.
Carli Campbell should not be in the starting lineup. Hell she didn't even start for roughly 90% of the season. We have two highly rated OFs coming in and Jenna Kean, who started 90% of the season out there until Candrea inexplicably benched her for Campbell at the end of the season, is returning. I'd say that spot is wide open next year.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Great season ladies! You got the program back to Oklahoma City. Thank you to all the seniors, especially Taylor. Next year could be the most dangerous offensive team in the country. Looking forward to see if Jessica can break the home run record.

As for pitching, Denham will be the #1 pitcher. She improved last year and hopefully she will get even better next year. As for who is the #2, right now it's Schuld, but let's see if Candrea brings in a transfer.

I would not be surprised if Palomino-Cardoza moves back to first base next year and we see a shake-up in the outfield. I can see Bella Dayton coming in and starting in center. As long as Kean does not transfer, I see her starting in left next year. I do not know why Candrea stopped playing her in the last month of the season, but she is too good to be sitting on the bench. The last outfield spot might not be decided until after the non-conference games are over.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Palomino was too damn good in center to move her back to first quite frankly. I'm not sure who mans 1B, but it shouldn't be Palomino after a fully healthy year. Also benching Kean, a .311 batter, for Campbell, a .240 batter, for the final month of the season is one of the most baffling decisions I've seen from Candrea. Campbell was good defensively, but Kean was far from a slouch in the OF, so I just don't get it.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

ChooChooCat wrote:Palomino was too damn good in center to move her back to first quite frankly. I'm not sure who mans 1B, but it shouldn't be Palomino after a fully healthy year. Also benching Kean, a .311 batter, for Campbell, a .240 batter, for the final month of the season is one of the most baffling decisions I've seen from Candrea. Campbell was good defensively, but Kean was far from a slouch in the OF, so I just don't get it.
If Bowen can play first, that could be an option. Everything I have read about Dayton is she is fast and a great defensive player. She is a lefty slap hitter, perfect to hit in the 9th spot or leadoff position. Don't know if Candrea will bat Palomino at the top of the order or go back to what he has always done. Also, with Palomino's history of injuries, would make sense to play first.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Irish27 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Palomino was too damn good in center to move her back to first quite frankly. I'm not sure who mans 1B, but it shouldn't be Palomino after a fully healthy year. Also benching Kean, a .311 batter, for Campbell, a .240 batter, for the final month of the season is one of the most baffling decisions I've seen from Candrea. Campbell was good defensively, but Kean was far from a slouch in the OF, so I just don't get it.
If Bowen can play first, that could be an option. Everything I have read about Dayton is she is fast and a great defensive player. She is a lefty slap hitter, perfect to hit in the 9th spot or leadoff position. Don't know if Candrea will bat Palomino at the top of the order or go back to what he has always done. Also, with Palomino's history of injuries, would make sense to play first.
Would've made sense to play Palomino first this year, but it didn't happen and she was immensely important in center field all year and remained injury free. She ain't leaving center.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Also sounds like we if Dejah Mulipola does make the USA team she won't be playing for us next year, but will he back in 2021. So that sucks for next year.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:That was the stupidest fucking stolen base attempt in softball history.
I am still in shock at this call

Great season but until we have a dominant pitcher again, I feel like we are not winning another WCWS

Our coaching too the past couple of years when it has mattered has seemed so suspect to me as well

I just wonder why we can not recruit or develop a dominant pitcher like we did for so many years
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Newportcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:That was the stupidest fucking stolen base attempt in softball history.

Great season but until we have a dominant pitcher again, I feel like we are not winning another WCWS

Our coaching too the past couple of years when it has mattered has seemed so suspect to me as well

I just wonder why we can not recruit or develop a dominant pitcher like we did for so many years
We have a dominant incoming pitcher for the 2020 class. We're very likely going to add a very good transfer pitcher for next season though. That stolen base call was so stupid I refuse to believe Candrea called it.

This is the 2020 pitcher we've got coming in.
https://www.maxpreps.com/m/career/gende ... s,softball" target="_blank
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

UCLA putting the wood to Oklahoma
-JB
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Newportcat wrote:

We have a dominant incoming pitcher for the 2020 class. We're very likely going to add a very good transfer pitcher for next season though. That stolen base call was so stupid I refuse to believe Candrea called it.

Geezus! Batted 530 last season as a junior, with a .36 ERA in the circle (over 24 games). Please hurry!
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

MrMeow wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Newportcat wrote:

Geezus! Batted 530 last season as a junior, with a .36 ERA in the circle (over 24 games). Please hurry!
Playing for a small christian school, in a small christian league, I wonder what level of competition she faces....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

pc in NM wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Newportcat wrote:

Playing for a small christian school, in a small christian league, I wonder what level of competition she faces....
I'm not sure, but she's ranked in every softball recruiting site's top 10.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

UCLA wins the WCWS.
-JB