ESPN Way-Too-Early Top-25

The Cats are on the rise under the leadership of Adia Barnes!

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Irish27

ESPN Way-Too-Early Top-25

Post by Irish27 »

The Cats did not make it, which is fair since we don't know if Sam or Trinity will be coming back. Also, we don't know if Adia will be able to get a starter from the transfer portal. Here is their Way-Too-Early top-25, https://www.espn.com/womens-college-bas ... lina-looms
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
AZCatGirl

Re: ESPN Way-Too-Early Top-25

Post by AZCatGirl »

I don't see how that's fair at all. A lot of the girls stepped up throughout the tournament that we know will be back, and saying the runner up won't even be top 25 is a joke.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

AZCatGirl wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:03 pm I don't see how that's fair at all. A lot of the girls stepped up throughout the tournament that we know will be back, and saying the runner up won't even be top 25 is a joke.
Will wait to see Matt Ward's preseason top-25. Here is his 2020-2021 preseason top-25. He had all Final Four teams in his top-4, https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... -rankings/
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

As Adia might say,

FUCK THEM!!!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

AZCatGirl wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:03 pm I don't see how that's fair at all. A lot of the girls stepped up throughout the tournament that we know will be back, and saying the runner up won't even be top 25 is a joke.
I'm not sure it's entirely unfair. Aari, Baptiste and Thomas were big cogs in the team. Losing 3 starters, one of whom was an all american...it's a tough blow, especially for our offense.

It's just 3 players, but that was 56% of our offense. I think the D will carry on well, but we weren't always the most potent offense and there are going to be a lot of points to make up.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, just realistic. I think we could easily develop into a top 25 team, but I'm not sure I can disagree with not having us there at the start, at least until we know who our scorers are.
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:35 am
I'm not sure it's entirely unfair. Aari, Baptiste and Thomas were big cogs in the team. Losing 3 starters, one of whom was an all american...it's a tough blow, especially for our offense.

It's just 3 players, but that was 56% of our offense. I think the D will carry on well, but we weren't always the most potent offense and there are going to be a lot of points to make up.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, just realistic. I think we could easily develop into a top 25 team, but I'm not sure I can disagree with not having us there at the start, at least until we know who our scorers are.
Sam Thomas is coming back and Koi Love should more than replace Trinity Baptiste.
pdx123

Post by pdx123 »

Love Adia as much as any Wildcat fan, but I don't know how much of her success is related to Aari McDonald. Sumlin owes whatever good rep he had as a football coach to Johnny Football --take Manziel out of the equation, and he's exactly what we got when he was here. To further discredit Sumlin, if I remember correctly, Manziel was a Mike Sherman recruit...so he can't even take credit for that.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

She got Aari to follow her here so she deserves credit.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

I watched a lot of Arizona basketball down the stretch and their style of play is an absolute joy to watch. Aari was amazing and irreplaceable, but I would be amazed if this team with Shaina, Sam, Cate and Bendu returning and adding Koi, Vonleh and that Estonian PG is not a top 16 team. I think Stanford will be way better then us but we should be competing for the #2 spot in the Pac. We also return Madi Conner (who came in late like Kerr but was highly thought of), Ware, Helena and Smith who missed half the season with a concussion. I am super bullish on this team and am glad they will be able to take my attention if the changes in the men's program make them unpalatable.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ghostwhitehorse wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:37 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:35 am

Sam Thomas is coming back and Koi Love should more than replace Trinity Baptiste.
That's fair. I would say Thomas is sort of a surprise return that I did not factor in.

More than anything else, I just don't really think it's unfair to take a wait and see attitude when you're losing over 50% of your scoring.

I have a lot of faith in Barnes and think we are likely to be better than that prediction, I just don't think it's super unexpected or unfair that this is the prediction given who our seniors were.
prh

Post by prh »

I picture when we've had a few years of recruiting, and have the athletes the top programs have. With our style of play and her actual coaching, I expect us to be very good for a very long time. Remember, programs like Stanford and UConn have been getting top tier talent for decades. We're still cycling through and getting bigger and better every year.
ekat

Post by ekat »

I love Aari McDonald, since her first season on the court here. But even her teammates said that sometimes they got caught up in watching her, and who could blame them. They expected “Aari to do Aari things”. Helena Pueyo is one player who I’ve felt needs some confidence and not to defer to Aari so much and just take the shots. Even Aari would tell her that. So, yes they lost a huge part of the team in Aari but there are some really good players still who just might shine a little more in her absence.