Old School Shareware

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UAdevil

Old School Shareware

Post by UAdevil »

Back in the mid 90s there was a shareware photo viewer called 2Show or something of the like. It allowed you to see the gif or jpg you're downloading appear slowly in real time. Let's just say that some certain imagery was very frustrating for a teen boy to wait thru. lol. I can't find any info on 2show or similar programs. Anyway, does anyone else remember this or any other seminal shareware of the 80s/90s?

There was a shareware store at Tucson Mall we used to hit.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Merkin

Re: Old School Shareware

Post by Merkin »

Can't remember if it was commercial or shareware, but ACDSEE was the fastest JPG viewer out there. Company is still around, although now I use Irfanview.

When the internet first came around, it was only text based on an Unix. To get images off of usenet, you had to download the text files, combine them using an editor such as vi, then uudecode them. Them use XWindows to view the images, which was excruciating slow. But we thought it was amazing. One image probably took 5 minutes to do all that and view it.

Later, someone wrote a Unix script to automatically combine and uudecode them.

Needless to say, almost all of the original images off of usenet were pR0n.

I still remember one vividly from the early 1990's. It was HB2A (Harper's Bizarre) where some hairy chick was shitting in some guy's mouth. Never even heard of such a thing and thought it was fake.

It was really traumatic to me since I had no idea such things happened.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Psychotic: The Escape

This was a Mac shareware game my dad got me when I was 11 or 12. Must have been about 1987/8. Fun little adventure game...but, if you typed in random, obscene commands...sometimes they'd work. Randomly type 'shit' and a pile of poo appears in front of you and attacks. You can bang anything that moves IF you know the not-in-the-instructions command.

Some of it is really gross in hindsight, but it was hit with my middle school friends.

https://macintoshgarden.org/games/psychotic-the-escape

World Builder adventure, 32-bit compatible. Quite un-PC, with some adult themes and violence. You are a mental patient trying to fight your way out. Supposedly part 1 of a trilogy, it remains to be seen that the other two games were made.

"Bizarre...I used to play this on my SE. It's hard to rate for a number of reasons. This game definately wallows in its anti-social overtones, gleefully embracing rape and murder. The game mechanics aren't great, and it seems to get stuck after you take the flight with Richard Nixon (?!). Still, the surreal landscape is definitely worth checking out. Perhaps one of the most offensive games on the Mac, it came in #5 on GameSpy's most offensive games of all time." - Yorick
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

https://archive.org/details/software

The Internet Archive Software Collection
The Internet Archive Software Collection is the largest vintage and historical software library in the world, providing instant access to millions of programs, CD-ROM images, documentation and multimedia.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

https://makinggamesbyyear.itch.io/star- ... ssBAHfzvCA

A mouse-playable version of the classic 1971 mainframe game Star Trek.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

UAdevil wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:45 pm https://makinggamesbyyear.itch.io/star- ... ssBAHfzvCA

A mouse-playable version of the classic 1971 mainframe game Star Trek.
Does that bring back memories. I played this game back in 1979. Loved it. Played that along with Adventure text game. It was at that time I knew I'd be a video game junkie for life.