The ‘1977 trinity’ and other era-defining PCs

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UAdevil

The ‘1977 trinity’ and other era-defining PCs

Post by UAdevil »

https://cybernews.com/editorial/the-197 ... rHE_chA8I0

Technology is prone to lose functionality over time. Diminished performance, however, can be compensated by growing nostalgia. Since personal computing has been around for over four decades, we’ve compiled a list of the machines that aged like fine wine.

If you just can’t be compelled to get rid of your old mobile phone, or you still get fascinated by the sound of a tape being put into a cassette player, then you’re no stranger to nostalgia-tech.

Sure, digital audio and modern smartphones are much more convenient, but there’s a particular attraction when it comes to old devices. For some, it’s nostalgia for childhood, while others can’t look away from well-aged designs.

After all, it’s not every day that you might see a tape recorder mounted on the case of a PC or an acoustic coupler, used for dial-up internet, that for younger generations is only known from 80’s movies like the infamous WarGames.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
ASUCatFan

Re: The ‘1977 trinity’ and other era-defining PCs

Post by ASUCatFan »

I grew up next door to my grandparents and two sets of aunts, uncles, and cousins. My Grandpa had a 286 based IBM business PC. It was pretty neat and I loved playing with it. My aunt and uncle had an Apple IIe. It was small, cool, and extremely unreliable. Also, I wasn't allowed to touch it. My cousin had an 8-bit Atari, and it was pure magic. Someday I will own one just for the sake of having it.
Merkin

Re: The ‘1977 trinity’ and other era-defining PCs

Post by Merkin »

I have a TRS-80 out in the garage somewhere. Think there is a TI-99/4A out there too.