Show me the last time a team won the national championship..

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

RockyRaccoon

Show me the last time a team won the national championship..

Post by RockyRaccoon »

With limited offensive skill players and/or a poor offensive scheme/coaching?

It really never happens in college basketball.

This isn't football. You can't win with an elite defense and a average offense. The best teams have a balance or even have that flipped to favor the offense to a certain extent.

But Miller will never feel any heat as long as he keeps winning 28+ games a year and going past the first two rounds of the tournament.

Sean Miller is a very good basketball coach but honestly if he doesn't adjust his philosophy somewhat it will be the same thing every year, which for some might be ok.
I...drink...your...MILKSHAKE!

"I'm better at life than you." -RockyRaccoon/Richard Sherman

"Those that don't understand the importance of great coaching, don't understand the game." -RR

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
gumby

Re: Show me the last time a team won the national championsh

Post by gumby »

There are six teams ranked ahead of us that average fewer points and shoot a lower percentage. Is it their scheme? No hope for Kentucky, Virginia, Villanova, Kansas, Wisconsin or Louisville?

We rank pretty high in scoring. Higher in field goal percentage. Did you know that? So I can show you teams like that. It isn't "average."
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Let's go all the way back to last year. UConn was 143rd in scoring, 71.5. We're currently 39th, 75.1 and 14th in FG pct

UConn scored a whopping 60 points in the NC game. Shot a blazing 41 percent.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Never happens
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Not so sure its scheme but there are a couple negative patterns on the Offensive end of things (including not making free throws) repeating themselves each season and want to see improvement/change.
What I personally see is something more mental than physical on that end of things. We need to run more plays to take advantage of matchups. And if we don't I hope the guys start figuring it out themselves.
michcat

Post by michcat »

It's not the scheme. If we had anyone on this team that could consistently hit open 3s or free throws we wouldn't be talking about this.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

michcat wrote:It's not the scheme. If we had anyone on this team that could consistently hit open 3s or free throws we wouldn't be talking about this.
Yep, just pack the paint, and let Pitts and York (besides TJ and SJ) chuck away.

Going to be nice to have Allonzo Trier on campus next year, finally a true scorer.

In the meantime, Pitts and York need to figure out how to hit an open 3 point shot. TJ never will, and neither will SJ.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

And "some" players need to start making those bunnies. Tarc missed two and Rondae missed one. And those were just the glaring misses.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RockyRaccoon wrote:But Miller will never feel any heat as long as he keeps winning 28+ games a year and going past the first two rounds of the tournament.
I can't even imagine your take on Lute circa January 13th, 1997...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

The whole college landscape is coming up for grabs as of late.

Wisconsin and Duke both imploded on the same day we did. Meanwhile, Wisconsin just lost their starting PG to a ... foot fracture (sound familiar).
Kentucky has had 2 games go to overtime against teams far worse than Oregon State. They are entering the classic kentucky phase where during any adversary, their palyers result to 1 on 1 and start chucking stupid shots from NBA jam.
Villanova is just Villanova - overrated and will get stomped in the tournament.
Kansas legitimately has no offense and no cohesion
Gonzaga is running the gauntlet against High School quality teams and we beat them so I will never accept them as better than us.
Louisville has been losing due it's terrible offense.
And Virginia has looked "pretty" good, but not great like ESPN would say. They also struggled to win their last 2 games.

There is NO clear cut favorite in college basketball anymore. The season started with 4 teams who were supposed to be the Cream - Arizona/Kentucky/Duke/Wisconsin and now it looks like any other year. There are probably 9 teams now who could win the natty, and OUR OFFENSE is better than most of them.

Let's go game by game and get our mental state up. TJ is looking a leader again and that may be the most important part of our path to the Natty.
salim'sheadband

Post by salim'sheadband »

People who have nothing to say when we're doing well and come back to shit all over everything when things are bad are the fucking worst, wouldn't you all agree?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Chicat wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:But Miller will never feel any heat as long as he keeps winning 28+ games a year and going past the first two rounds of the tournament.
f'realz tho
gumby

Post by gumby »

Merkin wrote:
michcat wrote:It's not the scheme. If we had anyone on this team that could consistently hit open 3s or free throws we wouldn't be talking about this.
Yep, just pack the paint, and let Pitts and York (besides TJ and SJ) chuck away.

Going to be nice to have Allonzo Trier on campus next year, finally a true scorer.

In the meantime, Pitts and York need to figure out how to hit an open 3 point shot. TJ never will, and neither will SJ.
He'll probably back out. It would be like Peyton Manning playing for Dick Tomey.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

salim'sheadband wrote:People who have nothing to say when we're doing well and come back to shit all over everything when things are bad are the fucking worst, wouldn't you all agree?

Agree 100%.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
gumby

Post by gumby »

Chicat wrote:
"We will never win an NC with Olson's scheme. Hell, we're lucky to get out of the first round anymore. Too soft. Too stubborn. Doesn't use timeouts."
gumby

Post by gumby »

CBCat wrote:Not so sure its scheme but there are a couple negative patterns on the Offensive end of things (including not making free throws) repeating themselves each season and want to see improvement/change.
What I personally see is something more mental than physical on that end of things. We need to run more plays to take advantage of matchups. And if we don't I hope the guys start figuring it out themselves.
It's the past two seasons on free throws. Last year, it was Aaron Gordon. This year, multiple guys have regressed. Frustrating for sure, but the first four Miller seasons:

2010: 73.3
2011: 74.6
2012: 70.5
2013: 74.9

Doesn't suggest Miller is clueless on the topic.

1997 team: 65.5
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

On FTs, it's not just how many you make them, but when you make them. Front ends of one and ones end of a tight game are killers. No stat for that.

gumby wrote:Doesn't use timeouts."
Lute pretty much always had time outs left on the board. I was watching the last 5 minutes of the Santa Clara game the other day (why I don't know), and Lute must have used 4 time outs in the last minute.

Almost worked, Nash missed 2 FTs with 7 seconds left, the rebound went right through the Arizona player's hands (Mills?), the Santa Clara player retrieved the ball and was immediately fouled. That player missed both FTs too, but Damon couldn't hit on a long 3.

Contrast that to the OSU game, where the Cats had 26 seconds left, no time outs, and no play to run. Not that Lute had a problem with it, he always felt that the players should have enough grasp of the system to win the games themselves without his help.
Machina

Post by Machina »

Merkin wrote:On FTs, it's not just how many you make them, but when you make them. Front ends of one and ones end of a tight game are killers. No stat for that.

Lute pretty much always had time outs left on the board. I was watching the last 5 minutes of the Santa Clara game the other day (why I don't know), and Lute must have used 4 time outs in the last minute.

Almost worked, Nash missed 2 FTs with 7 seconds left, the rebound went right through the Arizona player's hands (Mills?), the Santa Clara player retrieved the ball and was immediately fouled. That player missed both FTs too, but Damon couldn't hit on a long 3.

Contrast that to the OSU game, where the Cats had 26 seconds left, no time outs, and no play to run. Not that Lute had a problem with it, he always felt that the players should have enough grasp of the system to win the games themselves without his help.
Bingo on the bold red. That is worse than missing two when you miss the front end of a one and one in a tight game. I wanted to put a true metric of FT success where front ends of one and ones are count for more, and 1s count more for momentum and FTs within a two possession game late in the game count for more. But I cannot figure out the exact numbers to use for that and if I posted it here it would just be torn to shreds by a few posters.

Blue seemed to happen a few times vs OSU. Not sure that is reason for concern, but just a point worth noting.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Put missed front ends in the Turnover category.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Machina wrote:
Merkin wrote:On FTs, it's not just how many you make them, but when you make them. Front ends of one and ones end of a tight game are killers. No stat for that.

Bingo on the bold red. That is worse than missing two when you miss the front end of a one and one in a tight game. I wanted to put a true metric of FT success where front ends of one and ones are count for more, and 1s count more for momentum and FTs within a two possession game late in the game count for more. But I cannot figure out the exact numbers to use for that and if I posted it here it would just be torn to shreds by a few posters.

Blue seemed to happen a few times vs OSU. Not sure that is reason for concern, but just a point worth noting.
What Merkin said^
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Rocky has always been good at starting shit threads.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

salim'sheadband wrote:People who have nothing to say when we're doing well and come back to shit all over everything when things are bad are the fucking worst, wouldn't you all agree?
No kidding. I almost wonder if it's the same poster ...
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

gumby wrote:Let's go all the way back to last year. UConn was 143rd in scoring, 71.5. We're currently 39th, 75.1 and 14th in FG pct

lol

I can assure you, we don't have a Shabazz Napier.

"Those that don't understand the importance of great coaching, don't understand the game." -RR

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

Chicat wrote:
Christ.

Don't even get me started on one of the most overrated coaches in college basketball history.

Guy always had a top recruiting class and won one NC and went to four final 4s in 25 years.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RockyRaccoon wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Christ.

Don't even get me started on one of the most overrated coaches in college basketball history.

Guy always had a top recruiting class and won one NC and went to four final 4s in 25 years.
Oh, ok. I get it now.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

Chicat wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Christ.

Oh, ok. I get it now.
For anyone to suggest he is in the conversation for college basketball's greatest coaches is insulting to the legends.

I'm a MUCH bigger fan of Sean Miller than I am of Lute Olson.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RockyRaccoon wrote:
Chicat wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Christ.

Oh, ok. I get it now.
For anyone to suggest he is in the conversation for college basketball's greatest coaches is insulting to the legends.
Ok, great. Thanks.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

I have to choke back vomit every time I'm at McKale and the crowd rises to their feet as the silver haired "King" take his place among the plebs before the game starts.

The only connection that man has with royalty is the fact he and Henry VIII were both married about six times each.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Ok Rocky. Sounds good. Thanks again.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Ban worthy post from the raccoon.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

pokinmik wrote:Ban worthy post from the raccoon.
Why?

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

RockyRaccoon wrote:
Why?
It's pretty obvious. Fuck free speech, Lute Olson shouldn't be talked about like that on an AZ msg board. But do what you gotta do for some attention I'm going to bed.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

pokinmik wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
Why?
It's pretty obvious. Fuck free speech, Lute Olson shouldn't be talked about like that on an AZ msg board. But do what you gotta do for some attention I'm going to bed.
That's a sad and disturbing attitude.

Je Suis Rocky.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Well that just about sums up Rocky.

I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
gumby

Post by gumby »

RockyRaccoon wrote:
gumby wrote:Let's go all the way back to last year. UConn was 143rd in scoring, 71.5. We're currently 39th, 75.1 and 14th in FG pct

lol

I can assure you, we don't have a Shabazz Napier.
You asked. I answered. You're just trolling at this point. Oh, and ... lol.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

This is why we can't have nice things.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

RockyRaccoon wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Christ.

Who always had a top recruiting class? Remember that one year when his only recruit was Dion Broome? Early Lute excelled at finding diamonds in the rough.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

RockyRaccoon wrote:For anyone to suggest he is in the conversation for college basketball's greatest coaches is insulting to the legends.

I'm a MUCH bigger fan of Sean Miller than I am of Lute Olson.
Lute Olson is in the Hall of Fame. By any standard, he IS a legend.

Sean Miller is a legend in the making.

RockyRaccoon, whoever the hell that is, will only ever be a legend in his own mind.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Rocky is destined for greatness.

Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

Troll thread is really trollrific.
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Not that this thread deserves it, but Lute Olson did not have the top recruiting classes. He never got a player that UCLA wanted. One of the things he's known for his his "diamond in the rough" approach to recruiting and player development.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Nobody should need to defend the coach that made the existence of this very message board a possibility.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

RockyRaccoon wrote:With limited offensive skill players and/or a poor offensive scheme/coaching?
Guess someone would have to go all the way back to 2014 to see that.