6:35

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Olsondogg

6:35

Post by Olsondogg »

With 6:35 to go in the game, Arizona was down 53-51. Then Bash and Zeus trapped Stainbrook on the baseline. Xavier called a timeout. TJ then affected the inbound pass, and got a turnover. Then Zues got Stainbrook to pick up his *first* foul, then his second foul...and hit 2 FT's to tie. Then RHJ gets a steal on Xavier's next possession, and Zeus gets the ball and gets Stainbrook his 3rd foul. Hits 2 FT's and ballgame.

That was the moment. TJ had the scream...and I was relieved.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
rgdeuce

Re: 6:35

Post by rgdeuce »

Yep. Thats the exact point where I started to get that warm fuzzy feeling.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Xavier played with great intensity and with urgency. My hats are off to them.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

There was a tweet by someone that said something to the effect of telling twitter that games are 40 minutes not 31.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

azcat49 wrote:Xavier played with great intensity and with urgency. My hats are off to them.
There was some dirty shit in that game...most of it from Reynolds (big surprise) and Stainbrook was a whiny bitch. I won't take my hat off for that.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Olsondogg wrote:With 6:35 to go in the game, Arizona was down 53-51. Then Bash and Zeus trapped Stainbrook on the baseline. Xavier called a timeout. TJ then affected the inbound pass, and got a turnover. Then Zues got Stainbrook to pick up his *first* foul, then his second foul...and hit 2 FT's to tie. Then RHJ gets a steal on Xavier's next possession, and Zeus gets the ball and gets Stainbrook his 3rd foul. Hits 2 FT's and ballgame.

That was the moment. TJ had the scream...and I was relieved.
That was exactly when it happened. You could see the intensity rise in the Cats. Their defense became stifling after that.
LBdCactus

Post by LBdCactus »

azcat49 wrote:Xavier played with great intensity and with urgency. My hats are off to them.
How many hats were you wearing?

Bear Down!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Yeah, you could feel it. Crowd didn't really get into it until that point. Up until then they might as well have been playing at a wake.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beardown33

Post by Beardown33 »

The weardown on Stainbrook/Hodor was very evident down the stretch.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Olsondogg wrote:
There was some dirty shit in that game...most of it from Reynolds (big surprise) and Stainbrook was a whiny bitch. I won't take my hat off for that.
No. Chicken-winging and Euro-sliding your way to points only gets you so far, and constantly switching from junk to slightly less junk doesn't command my respect any more.

Anywhere, anytime....but Arizona doesn't need to schedule Xavier anytime soon. Headache in a handbasket.
WildHolcs

Post by WildHolcs »

I def agree...and am stoked it happened when it did...but on the other hand I'm pretty confused by our lackadaisical play up till then. The energy we've been seeing the last few months was not there for large parts of the game tonight.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

Olsondogg wrote:
Reynolds is a dirty piece of shit, but Stainbrook was a fucking monster who just couldn't hang with Arizona for 40 minutes. He has my respect.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

ASUCatFan wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
Reynolds is a dirty piece of shit, but Stainbrook was a fucking monster who just couldn't hang with Arizona for 40 minutes. He has my respect.

It helps when you don't get a foul called on you until 6 minutes to go in the game. It helps when you are allowed to push off, and to take steps when double teamed. It helps that when you get pissed at the officials, and you kick the videoboard causing it to go out, you don't get a tech.

I have no respect for that whiny bitch.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Jesus. I'm with Miller. That was a very good team with perhaps the best front court we've faced. Much respect.
Right where I want to be.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

gumby wrote:Jesus. I'm with Miller. That was a very good team with perhaps the best front court we've faced. Much respect.
Of course it was the best front court all year. There is no way that PAC officiating would let any of that go.
gumby

Post by gumby »

It's always something. Why do people follow such an endlessly flawed sport? That was a terrific, tense Sweet 16 battle. Ok, back to whining after a victory.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Olsondogg wrote:
ASUCatFan wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:

It helps when you don't get a foul called on you until 6 minutes to go in the game. It helps when you are allowed to push off, and to take steps when double teamed. It helps that when you get pissed at the officials, and you kick the videoboard causing it to go out, you don't get a tech.

I never realized you were a Colorado fan.

Shouldn't you be bitching about Gabe York now? If only we still had Mayes to pull out the important win as predicted...

Stainbrook was a baller. He's not the whiny bitch.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

F that guy Reynolds. All he did was shove and push daring the officials to call something (which they didn't do). That guy was flat out playing thug ball.
WildcatRx

Post by WildcatRx »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
ASUCatFan wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:

Shouldn't you be bitching about Gabe York now? If only we still had Mayes to pull out the important win as predicted...

The guy flopped and cried all night, he is a bitch.

However, he also backed it up with a career night.
"I do not like Miller"-- Machina
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I don't respect gimmicks.

Play big boy defense.

The idea Arizona wasn't fouled in the act of shooting or more often in the first 30 minutes is laughable.

And Reynolds cannonballed TJs head on a loose ball that went Xavier's way, then swiped at him post whistle. Dude is a thug and news he bitchslapped a chick makes complete sense. What a fucking asshole.

Refs are their whistle for 30 minutes in calls pro-Arizona.

Called ticky tack on the other end against Arizona. Half their called fouls were utter bullshit.

We were fortunate to make the few big plays and survive when the refs decided to keep Xavier in it with non calls and non techs.
mofo

Post by mofo »

From my perspective as soon as X went man-man we opened up & do what we do. 6-0 run. They went back to the 1-3-1 pretty quick but we had our juice flowing at that point & the game was over. I'm not sure we win that game without that faux pas.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Was anyone else super giddy when they saw X go to man after that TO with 6 to go.

I told my wife, we were going to eat them alive. Dumb move on Chris Macks part, but I knew we were going to grind it out at that point.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

JMarkJohns wrote:And Reynolds cannonballed TJs head on a loose ball that went Xavier's way, then swiped at him post whistle. Dude is a thug and news he bitchslapped a chick makes complete sense. What a fucking asshole.
Every time Reynolds gave a post-whistle shove or pre-whistle slap/elbow I kept thinking, "Why do you need 5 weeks to investigate this piece of shit? If he's doing this crap in front of 15,000 people live, 12 video cameras, 100s of still cameras, and hundreds of thousands of people watching on TV, I can only imagine the dirty shit he does when no one is looking."
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

I was jumping up and down when they didn't tee up Reynolds after that deadball move on TJ. I would've been screaming obscenities at the refs too, but it was 4am and the wife and daughter were soundly asleep.

For the most part though, I thought the refs did a decent job. A couple crap calls against Zeus, but otherwise okay. But my frame of reference is PAC refs, so maybe my expectations are a bit limited.

EDIT: Reynolds should've been teed up for the shove on Rondae earlier in the game too. Something petty inside me hopes he's expelled and in jail five weeks from now.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Pac-12 refs would still be at the monitor looking for flagrant 1 or 2 calls.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

P12 refs would've called some bullshit flagrant on Zeus as well, when he inadvertently elbowed Stain in the face earlier in the game.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

In Pac12 world, that slap at TJ would have been a double technical.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Olsondogg wrote: That was the moment. TJ had the scream...and I was relieved.
When TJ smiled I knew the game was over at the point. The 31 minute grimace disappeared.

So nice to see the double team on Stainbrook too. At the point he was just worn out then started committing those silly fouls,
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
ASUCatFan wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:

This post makes no sense. Rado fan? Please. Because I make a post about the turning point of the game and point out that Xavier had dirty players and a whiny bitch center who was the beneficiary of officiating for 33 minutes in that game?

Also, when have I bitched about Gabe? Bringing up Mayes as some sort of an aside? Cool bro.

Also these just for some perspective...
gumby

Post by gumby »

Keep battling
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Olsondogg wrote:
I wonder if xavier gets a bill for that?

anyhow, does anyone have a gif of stainbrook going down after getting 'hit' by Tarc on that rebound?

Surely someone has made a gif of it?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Sheriff Gumby on the case.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

When that sequence went down, I knew the Cats were about to go on a run. I was thinking that AZ was a boxer who just pulled himself up off the canvas and now he's decided, "OK, playtime's over, I'm knocking this f****r out." I think that trap on Stainbrook caught Xavier completely off guard and forced them to rethink their plan of attack. Then they figure out that Arizona is getting too many open looks from three, and that they're getting after the glass, and so they went man... and game over. (A lot of those threes weren't falling but if you give anyone in the tourney that many open looks, they're going to start draining them.)

There are no bad wins in the tourney. Survive and advance.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Zeus was a monster that sequence. When Johnson missed that three from the corner but with a Zeus rebound and put back, I knew we were going to win. Wish I would've recorded it, would love to rewatch those last 10 minutes.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Olsondogg wrote:Sheriff Gumby on the case.
Post-victory wear down. Don't let up. I hear they still have a shred of pride.