Victory and sacrifice

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Victory and sacrifice

Post by Longhorned »

Here is Victory, whom the Greeks called Nike and the Romans called Victoria, and who takes the form of a winged female body. In the most celebrated example, the Nike of Samothrace presents her with her wings drawn back for landing as she alights on the prow of a ship at the very moment that a major naval victory is secured:

The billowing drapery presses against and reveals her body beneath, defying the hardness and permanence of the stone in which she’s carved, and thereby manifesting the ephemerality of victory as that which must be snatched at that precise, fleeting moment when it is in reach.

The Greeks and Romans understood that Victory is a body. It’s a body that’s liminal, one that ambiguously both presents herself to the victor and intervenes on behalf of the victor to the forces beyond the control of the combatants. At the temple of Athena Nike on the Athenian Acropolis, she solemnly bears down to loosen her sandal straps before walking on holy ground…

… and then presents sacrificial bodies to Athena Nikephoros, “Bearer of Victory”:

These aren’t the sacrifices of Victory herself, but rather those offered by the demos - the people who form the body of the community, who offer bodies of sacrifice as a means of overcoming the forces that would snatch the body of Victory away from reach in the manner of the seven point combined total of four Elite Eights, two of which were in overtime. Talking about a demos that is out of step with the forces of Chance (Tyche). Chance isn’t in the hands of the combatants, but rather the irrational forces by which the ball bounces in whichever direction. These forces must be appeased by the sacrificing of bodies, delivered by the body of Victory herself who will manifest at the anticipated moment of her unbelievably and holy self-revealing.

The people must sacrifice.

As you know, beer is alive. In its containment, that living stuff that runs through the fermented grain-infused liquid comprises a highly valued living body that began its life with its emergence from the earth, continued through its harvesting, infusion, aging, and containment. It will sustain you and give you strength. But as such, it’s the most powerful body that you can sacrifice. When you forego that beer to pour it down the sink, that libation reunites with the earth as a received gift that sends a subtle reverberation that influences the element of Chance through divine sacrifice. What is given many times over tips the benefits of the offering back to the sacrificer.

In the manner of the bridge priests of old, tomorrow I will embark on a solemn procession to the bridge over the stream behind my house, holding a can of beer. I will open that beer and pour it into the flowing stream. The tumbling free-fall of its liquid body downward toward the water will manifest the firmness of my conviction that It Is Time. The immediate drag of the current on its body, followed by its continuous flowing downstream as far as the eye can see, will ensure its reception and destination in assurance of its destiny.

This is the body of Victory. It’s a dynamic and fluid body, replete with violence and restoration and the flows, growths, agings, and generations of bodies and the world, but one that finds durability in re-binding with the past. Just as a sacrificed beer returns to its source, so does Arizona Basketball return to the greatness that’s inherent our previous Final Fours of the past. The sacrifices of the intervening, accumulated painful losses, like the sacrifice of that one beer that you pour away tomorrow, is integral to the experience of re-binding, a testament to the perpetuity of that repeated fastening in the face of flux, and thereby a peace made with -- and final overcoming of -- that very flux.

It Is Time to Bear Down.

Last edited by Longhorned on Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
WildcatLouis

Re: Victory and sacrifice

Post by WildcatLouis »

Nicely done. Bear Down and Beer Down!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Is my re-watching the Elite Eight loss to Illinois sufficient sacrifice? I ask because I don't know many virgins.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I should take you on my sales calls Longhorned.

"Look, if you don't sign this contract, my rambling friend with the parrot there is just going to keep pouring out the beers from your break room fridge and yammering on about winged gods alighting upon your desk. So let's do everyone a favor, grab that pen, and let me get him the hell out of here before he starts into his rendition of Ave Maria."
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

BearDown89 wrote:Image
That is superb.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

In real life, he would have punched the dashboard and broke a light though.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:I should take you on my sales calls Longhorned.

"Look, if you don't sign this contract, my rambling friend with the parrot there is just going to keep pouring out the beers from your break room fridge and yammering on about winged gods alighting upon your desk. So let's do everyone a favor, grab that pen, and let me get him the hell out of here before he starts into his rendition of Ave Maria."
Bsktball Is Neat

Post by Bsktball Is Neat »

I am definitely on board. Tomorrow, one beer is going down the drain.

The people must sacrifice.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

BearDown89 wrote:Image
That's fantastic.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Stainbrook probably drove in the Annapolis.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

I shall offer a libation for Victoria.

Slightly off topic: it's too bad Phil Knight screwed up a perfectly good girl's name, doncha think?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Great video.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Completely on their own, some books on my bookshelf just shifted and knocked off a red vase, smashing it to pieces.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Longhorned wrote:Completely on their own, some books on my bookshelf just shifted and knocked off a red vase, smashing it to pieces.
Really ? because I just poured my sacrafice!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

That video was awesome.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

My wife and I just poured our beers in the stream. You really could see them float away as far as the eye can see.

From the Mantiklos Apollo:

I offer this to the far-shooter. Now give me something in return.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Longhorned wrote:My wife and I just poured our beers in the stream. You really could see them float away as far as the eye can see.

From the Mantiklos Apollo:

I offer this to the far-shooter. Now give me something in return.
Your wife participated?

True-Love
Bsktball Is Neat

Post by Bsktball Is Neat »

I poured my beer out after watching the above video about 4 times. Go 'cats!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

It is time.

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
a4ragtop

Post by a4ragtop »

I have donned the bright red 1994 Final Four t-shirt that stood us in good stead for the Xavier victory.

I have sacrificed one Flying Fish Ale to the oleanders behind my back yard.

It is time.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'm wearing a plain brown sweatshirt with a plain brown t-shirt underneath. I'm taking the straightforward, matter-of-fact approach that we're about to see from Arizona.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Wearing my 12-15-12 shirt. It's been great since football season.

To paraphrase RichRod, "40 minutes of Arizona.".
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I've been wearing the same white undershirt that I changed into at the 8min mark Thursday, since thursday. Yes, I slept in it, yes I went to work yesterday in it, yes its been on all day today.

It is time.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

The Old Monkeyshine I dumped before the game is barely working. My dogs will be sacrificing their hard earned odors to baths at halftime.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

I did my part and cannot believe it didn't work.

Great, great OP. Longhorned has been on fire.
a4ragtop

Post by a4ragtop »

This afternoon's outcome shows once again the folly of attempting to understand where Victory will alight. Others will try to explain our loss in terms of insufficient effort, planning, wisdom, preparation, execution. But those attempts will be dashed against the brute inexplicability and injustice of Wisconsin's ridiculous outside shooting.

To understand our condition, we must recognize that there is no rational explanation for why, for example, this team did not reach the Final Four while, for example, our '97 team did. Read Job for the full explanation.