UA Basketball 2015-2016 Discussion Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

midnightx

Re: UA Basketball 2015-2016 Discussion Thread

Post by midnightx »

dirtbags wrote:i'd like to see him stay. pitts' story is the classic 3-* player who develops at Arizona over four years. he may not agree with that (the coaching staff, too), but we all know he's got a much higher ceiling than we've witnessed on the court. plus, the senior leadership will go a long way once york is gone. we'll see.
Agreed. The kid can flat-out shoot, and plays some D. He has 2 years of college experience behind him; I wouldn't trade that for a heralded freshman who plays the same position (not Trier, but someone like Simon). Same thing with Ashley; we all know he is likely gone, but I would take him over Rabb any day of the week -- both will be at AZ for one year (Rabb a one-and-done, Ashley a senior), and Ashley has 3 years of starting and playing in big games at the collegiate level. People often want to cast aside kids that have experience and that are developing in place of the hyped high school stars who have yet to play any college games.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Tune in Wednesday, McD game.
Right where I want to be.
loomer

Post by loomer »

I'm not sure how Trier doesn't start next year
gumby

Post by gumby »

Allonzo(na)

Best shooter since Salim? Discuss.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:Tune in Wednesday, McD game.
OK, so I've been pronouncing Trier wrong for a while. Apparently it rhymes with Gruyere.

He looks good. He's closer to a finished product and Smith and Simon ooze potential. Not like it's a secret, but we have a really, really good wing class coming in.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

He's got a crafty game, much like TJ McConnell's. But he uses his dribble drives in traffic to score whereas TJ obviously was looking more to set up his teammates.

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Are all of our commits for 2015 considered multi-year guys?
gumby

Post by gumby »

6-5 ... if that's legit, he could check SFs. Same listed height as Dickerson.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

catinfl wrote:Are all of our commits for 2015 considered multi-year guys?
I think Rabb would have been our only lock to be a 1-and-done. Otherwise it depends on the seasons they have.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Chicat wrote:
I think Rabb would have been our only lock to be a 1-and-done. Otherwise it depends on the seasons they have.

This is my understanding tell me if I'm wrong.
Simon- Too raw will need multiple years
Smith-?? He has the potential too be very good and it depends on how healthy he is.
Trier- Scorer I guess it depends on the year
Comanche- Project.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Simon is a grade A defender with a huge wingspan. Definitley excited to see him play D.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
Smith has the highest ceiling, IMO. A good year from him might be it. If Trier is good right off the bat, he might move on bc size is his biggest issue, and that doesn't get remedied by time.

Who knows, though. Very few sure things next year.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

catinfl wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Smith-?? He has the potential too be very good and it depends on how healthy he is.
Comanche- Project.
That's mostly my understanding as well. Simon I think is of the mindset that he'll be here multiple years and that he could change positions depending on recruiting and his pro prospects.

Smith I think was a one-and-done before the injury but now is probably going to take his time and see how his year goes.

I don't know that Trier will have the gaudy numbers to warrant 1&D status, especially since this offense tends to spread scoring out. His best bet might be in 16/17 when we should be loaded with playmakers and Gabe York won't be taking his minutes/shots.

Comanche needs to get into the gym and get schooled by Joe Blair on the practice court. A couple years of that, plus going up against guys like Ristic and Anderson and maybe even Zeus in practice and he'll be just fine. Could be Sean Miller's first legit shot-blocker at the Center position (unless you count DWill).
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Chicat wrote:
catinfl wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Comanche- Project.
That's mostly my understanding as well. Simon I think is of the mindset that he'll be here multiple years and that he could change positions depending on recruiting and his pro prospects.

Smith I think was a one-and-done before the injury but now is probably going to take his time and see how his year goes.

I don't know that Trier will have the gaudy numbers to warrant 1&D status, especially this offense tends to spread scoring out. His best bet might be in 16/17 when we should be loaded with playmakers and Gabe York won't be taking his minutes/shots.

Comanche needs to get into the gym and get schooled by Joe Blair on the practice court. A couple years of that, plus going up against guys like Ristic and Anderson and maybe even Zeus in practice and he'll be just fine. Could be Sean Miller's first legit shot-blocker.

I could very well be wrong on this, but Blair isn't gonna be around on the staff for next year...correct?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Olsondogg wrote:I could very well be wrong on this, but Blair isn't gonna be around on the staff for next year...correct?
He's not? Damn, sucks if true.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

He's a grad assistant and has done that for 2 years now...I thought he's extinguished that role and there are no plans to hire him on board full time. At least that was my understanding.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Well Simon and Comanche are for sure but I could see trier and Smith both being anywhere from 1-3 year guys.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Thought I read somewhere that Blair wanted to devote more time to his charity http://blaircharitygroup.org/ and didn't have the time to devote on being a full time coach.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

If Mullin is hired at St. Johns might Book take an assistants role? Not that Big Joe would get this gig but we may have some turnover on our staff this offseason
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I've seen Trier listed anywhere from 6'3"-6'5". A little undersized for an NBA 2. Unlike Gordon and Stanley, don't think I have heard a peep of him being a sure-thing lotto pick before he even stepped on a college court.
gumby

Post by gumby »

That's my hope. So let's all call him 6-3, and spread the word fast. :D
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:That's my hope. So let's all call him 6-3, and spread the word fast. :D
Sshhh! You want to make him a one and done?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

gumby wrote:That's my hope. So let's all call him 6-3, and spread the word fast. :D
6'5" is with the fade.

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
WildcatRx

Post by WildcatRx »

With or without the neck?
"I do not like Miller"-- Machina
gumby

Post by gumby »

Trier playing Wednesday at McD in Chicago and Thursday in New York at noon.

Five McD's are also in the Dick's Sporting Goods tournament. Findlay Prep on at 9am pst Thursday, ESPNU.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Lost Letterman has a way too early Top 25 out: http://www.lostlettermen.com/slideshow/ ... all-top-25

Arizona checks in at #20.
Sean Miller loses pretty much every key piece from an Elite Eight team, including but not limited to Stanley Johnson, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Brandon Ashley and T.J. McConnell. But as always, they’ve scored heavyweight recruits, including 5-star guards Allonzo Trier and Justin Simon, 5-star forward Ray Smith, and 4-star center Chance Comanche. Thirty wins and a top-2 seed might be tough to duplicate, but Pac-12 title contention won’t be.
Be forewarned, it's a clickbait slideshow...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Tarczewski can't be pleased being completely ignored.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Chicat wrote:Lost Letterman has a way too early Top 25 out: http://www.lostlettermen.com/slideshow/ ... all-top-25

Arizona checks in at #20.
Sean Miller loses pretty much every key piece from an Elite Eight team, including but not limited to Stanley Johnson, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Brandon Ashley and T.J. McConnell. But as always, they’ve scored heavyweight recruits, including 5-star guards Allonzo Trier and Justin Simon, 5-star forward Ray Smith, and 4-star center Chance Comanche. Thirty wins and a top-2 seed might be tough to duplicate, but Pac-12 title contention won’t be.
Be forewarned, it's a clickbait slideshow...
Tarc comes back and we get another recruit or grad transfer i could see is being in the 10-15 area preseason.

azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

What's up with this NY based Huffington Post reporter dropping all these bombs. He's not in the know right?
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

azcat34 wrote:What's up with this NY based Huffington Post reporter dropping all these bombs. He's not in the know right?
I honestly believe nobody is in the know more than the players themselves. It's been a back and forth for the last few days and we really won't know until the players announce it themselves.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Hmmm....

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

We have upcoming games against them. That's why they don't want him transferring to Arizona.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Yeah, it's not like somebody in the Missouri program sat down and thought about everything and came up with a meaningful list of places he can't transfer to. It's automatic. You can't transfer to team on the schedule. It has nothing to do with Arizona.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:Yeah, it's not like somebody in the Missouri program sat down and thought about everything and came up with a meaningful list of places he can't transfer to. It's automatic. You can't transfer to team on the schedule. It has nothing to do with Arizona.
abe simpson says it all video by paperclip321 - P…: http://youtu.be/EM3NSTbi4OQ
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote:We have upcoming games against them. That's why they don't want him transferring to Arizona.

Didn't stop UA from releasing Chol to SDSU. Does Arizona put any conditions on those transferring out? Don't recall any for Withey, Momo, Sidiki, Judkins and so on.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Maybe we knew what we were giving up when it comes to those guys, and Missouri feels the same way.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I feel so much better about our chances with Zeus staying for his Sr. year.

Team needed that badly. Zeus now needs to become a leader of this team and demand the ball.

We are now covered at all spots and have plenty off the bench to give us several options depending on match-ups

Love it!
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

PG: PJC/Simon
SG: York/Trier/Allen/Pitts
SF: SJ/Smith
PF: Anderson/Comanche
C: Zues/Dusan

Yes Please!!!!
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

That's a really good team even without Stanley coming back. Not bad for a "rebuilding" year, as some have called it.
gumby

Post by gumby »

A1RZONA wrote:
azcat34 wrote:What's up with this NY based Huffington Post reporter dropping all these bombs. He's not in the know right?
I honestly believe nobody is in the know more than the players themselves. It's been a back and forth for the last few days and we really won't know until the players announce it themselves.
Long ways from "assured" to "virtually assured." Must be all that swirling that led him astray.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

50/50 chance he gets it right at the end
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Would be nice to get tollefsen too. Would still be a MASSIVE team next year. Tarc and dusan are both in the 7'-7'1" range. Anderson, Comanche and Tollefson are all 6'9". Pitts, York, Allen, Simon and trier all average about 6'4" with good wingspans. Very big guards. And Smith is 6'7"(although Stanley johnson has about 40-50 lbs on him).

azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

It's on now:
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Get what .500? I'm lost on this one?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

3goggles wrote:Get what .500? I'm lost on this one?
I think he cherry-picked that they are 9-8 over the last 17 games.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat34 wrote:It's on now:
Why is it on? Their program is so poor that literally all they have is a slightly winning record vs us over a randomly determined number of prior games? We are their National Championship because they have nothing else.

Poor us, all we have are conference championships, #1 rankings and deep NCAA tourney runs.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Who cares about ASU basketball? anyone? Crickets!
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

UAEebs86 wrote:
3goggles wrote:Get what .500? I'm lost on this one?
I think he cherry-picked that they are 9-8 over the last 17 games.
And they fired the coach that had that record against us! What a joke!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Not as flashy talented as last Year but a very experienced older team. 4 seniors in tarc, york, Anderson and tollefsen. 2 juniors in Allen and Pitts. 2 Sophomores who saw a fair amount of important minutes in pjc and ristic. Deep and very savvy and experienced at the highest levels.