Who's staying? Who's going?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

Re: Who's staying? Who's going?

Post by Beachcat97 »

Olsondogg wrote:No way Trier doesn't start IMO.
I still don't believe for a second that freshman Trier starts over senior York. I'm sure Trier will get big minutes if he's as good as you and others are expecting. But York is potentially our captain next season. Pretty sure the captain starts.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Rondae gone, apparently

http://arizona.scout.com/story/1533674- ... to-declare

50% FGs this season but what, 95% of those were 6' and closer? He needs to start shooting 1000 a day
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Beachcat97 wrote:If you're an NBA GM, which guy do you like more, Zeus or Ashley?

Ashley is obviously a more complete player, but Zeus is a legit 7 footer with good athleticism.
Ashley and its not even a question in my mind.

Ashley has the skill to play a quality role in an NBA offense. He can shoot the jumper, play in the pinch post, attack off the dribble and has the footwork to score on the block.

The problem has and always will be his consistency and motor. His defense needs tons of work, but there are plenty of highly skilled 4s in the NBA who cant defend.

Tarc has the body and size, but im not sure where he fits in... I could see him as a 4th/5th big. His hands aren't good, I don't think hes a good rebounder (numbers aside). He doesn't finish and doesn't have much for post moves. His mid-range J is alright. He cant defend 1v1. Solid team defender but isn't going to block shots.

I'll take the guy with the skills and offensive upside to play a role, over a big you can find every summer on a minimum contract.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Jefe wrote:50% FGs this season but what, 95% of those were 6' and closer? He needs to start shooting 1000 a day
yeah, he'd been doing the kobe bryant 100-jumpers in a row drill all season. time to upgrade to kyle fogg-volume practice shooting.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Merkin wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Still waiting for an elite recruit to live up to the "game changing" hype they bring with them.

We have not found our Carmello Anthony yet. Could it be Trier?

Finally have some true scorers in Trier and Allen. Both will get their minutes. Last true scorer was Lyons.
SJ was, without doubt, a scorer. Sucks to use 'was'.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Rondae needs to sit down with the best shooting coach money can buy and fix his mechanics and work on those til his hands bleed. The only consistency in his mechanics and the only time he is balanced is at the foul line, which is why he is more than a respectable shooter there. He will be fine, just needs time.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

nbadraft.net has posted that Rondae has already made his announcement to enter the draft.

Obviously we all expect this to happen, but I don't remember it actually happening yet. Did I miss it?

http://www.nbadraft.net/2015-early-entry-list

(also, front page top middle with Rondae picture) http://www.nbadraft.net/
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

20 hrs ago on twitter Rondae said he hasnt made a decision
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:Rondae needs to sit down with the best shooting coach money can buy and fix his mechanics and work on those til his hands bleed. The only consistency in his mechanics and the only time he is balanced is at the foul line, which is why he is more than a respectable shooter there. He will be fine, just needs time.
He's not awful from midrange, but from 3 it's like he can't decide if he's shooting a set shot or a jumper. Midrange, he jumps and shoots. From 3, he starts shooting, then jumps forward awkwardly at the end.

Getting his setup organized from 3 would really help. Get down and chop 2 steps into a jumper. When he shoots a true jumper, the release doesn't look bad. That half set shot, I don't see how he can control distance.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Rondae needs to sit down with the best shooting coach money can buy and fix his mechanics and work on those til his hands bleed. The only consistency in his mechanics and the only time he is balanced is at the foul line, which is why he is more than a respectable shooter there. He will be fine, just needs time.
He's not awful from midrange, but from 3 it's like he can't decide if he's shooting a set shot or a jumper. Midrange, he jumps and shoots. From 3, he starts shooting, then jumps forward awkwardly at the end.

Getting his setup organized from 3 would really help. Get down and chop 2 steps into a jumper. When he shoots a true jumper, the release doesn't look bad. That half set shot, I don't see how he can control distance.
I've noticed him leaning back but also to either side on his midrange jumper for no reason. His release slot varies too. I just dont see any consistency in his shot period (outside of the foul shooting), so regardless of the flaws, I can see why he struggles the way he does. I do agree with the other things you are saying too, and I'm pretty sure you were a better ballplayer than I was and around better coaches, so I may be overthinking things.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I've noticed him leaning back but also to either side on his midrange jumper for no reason. His release slot varies too. I just dont see any consistency in his shot period (outside of the foul shooting), so regardless of the flaws, I can see why he struggles the way he does. I do agree with the other things you are saying too, and I'm pretty sure you were a better ballplayer than I was and around better coaches, so I may be overthinking things.
He has a fairly consistent release point when he shoots an in rhythm jumper. I don't always fault people for moving side to side or fading on midrange J's because some of that is, IMO, a function of them being more contested. Sometimes you have to fade a bit to get the shot off.

The biggest difference is when he actually gets settled and has a full motion jump shot. Those look good, and his release point is consistent. He could have that on 3's because he didn't get guarded out there, but his release was really inconsistent compared to the jumper from closer.

In HS, I had a few sessions with Freddie Banks from the 80's UNLV teams, and what he always harped on was getting your balance and stepping into a jumper as consistent as possible. That generates a stable base to drive upwards and shoot off. Rondae's 3's, he seems to be fall/jumping forwards and his footwork changes a lot.

Not that I turned out Salim or anything, but I always cringed watching that part of Rondae's game. Otherwise, I love Rondae. It's hard for me to believe it's simply a lack of work bc he plays so hard and seems so committed.
WildHolcs

Post by WildHolcs »

I love RHJ but his shot is soooo ugly (his mechanics look so jumbled and frantic) and somewhat broken. He needs some legit work with a big time shooting coach. Someone like Chip Engellend of the Spurs. Took a similar case in Kawhi Leonard, who couldn't shoot at all from deep and was pretty limited offensively, tweaked some things like angle of release/point of release and has made a pretty much defensive player with some athleticism into one of the best players in the NBA.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

WildHolcs wrote:I love RHJ but his shot is soooo ugly (his mechanics look so jumbled and frantic) and somewhat broken. He needs some legit work with a big time shooting coach. .
Yep. He kept taking jumpers in the first half of the Wisconsin game. Brick after brick. He's not a good jump shooter.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

If Michael Kidd-Gilchrist can rework his entire shot in two seasons, so can Rondae. There are plenty of great shooting coaches in the NBA. The Spurs have Engelland, the Clippers hired Bob Thate to rework Griffin's jumper and the Hornets hired Mark Price for MKG.

-Shane Battier
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote:If Michael Kidd-Gilchrist can rework his entire shot in two seasons, so can Rondae. There are plenty of great shooting coaches in the NBA. The Spurs have Engelland, the Clippers hired Bob Thate to rework Griffin's jumper and the Hornets hired Mark Price for MKG.
Shane Battier did it at Duke. It's a process, bc people revert to their natural motion under pressure. The only issue with Rondae's release is he gets his right hand onto the top of the ball and has to completely pull it off to release.

If I were coaching Rondae, I would try to slide that hand to the side and get his footwork and lift more consistent. It isn't 100% broken, and those two things would make a huge difference, IMO.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:If Michael Kidd-Gilchrist can rework his entire shot in two seasons, so can Rondae. There are plenty of great shooting coaches in the NBA. The Spurs have Engelland, the Clippers hired Bob Thate to rework Griffin's jumper and the Hornets hired Mark Price for MKG.
Shane Battier did it at Duke. It's a process, bc people revert to their natural motion under pressure. The only issue with Rondae's release is he gets his right hand onto the top of the ball and has to completely pull it off to release.

If I were coaching Rondae, I would try to slide that hand to the side and get his footwork and lift more consistent. It isn't 100% broken, and those two things would make a huge difference, IMO.
Agreed. My first concern would be his balance and inside out shot release. Even on free-throws, he swings the ball in after the shimmy and his elbow, arm and hand sway out on the release. He's gotta keep that elbow level.

All of these things are correctable with a lot of work.

-Shane Battier
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

TucsonClip wrote:There are plenty of great shooting coaches in the NBA. The Spurs have Engelland,
Chip! I learned from him and Steve, He brought Chip to camp every year, great guy!
ButtonSalmon

Post by ButtonSalmon »

Tarc is 99% returning. As of this evening there is plenty of talk coming from inside that Brandon is strongly considering a return. I would rather have a senior Brandon than a freshman Rabb any day. If both Tarc and Ash return Arizona is pre season top 5 and favorite to win conference even if Cal gets the big 3.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Stop!

You get me thinking about next year's team WITH Bash and Tarc and I won't get a wink of sleep till November!
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

ButtonSalmon wrote:Tarc is 99% returning. As of this evening there is plenty of talk coming from inside that Brandon is strongly considering a return. I would rather have a senior Brandon than a freshman Rabb any day. If both Tarc and Ash return Arizona is pre season top 5 and favorite to win conference even if Cal gets the big 3.
I could definitely see it happening. We'd have an amazing blend of youth, experience, and overall talent. Hell, even if only Tarc returns we'd have all that. I think we are going to be very good next year regardless.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Puerco wrote:Stop!

You get me thinking about next year's team WITH Bash and Tarc and I won't get a wink of sleep till November!
Seriously, I can't handle it. It would be like a reincarnation of those Final Four dreams that I saw get flushed down the toilet by Sam Dekker. It's not fair to get our hopes up like this.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ButtonSalmon wrote:Tarc is 99% returning. As of this evening there is plenty of talk coming from inside that Brandon is strongly considering a return. I would rather have a senior Brandon than a freshman Rabb any day. If both Tarc and Ash return Arizona is pre season top 5 and favorite to win conference even if Cal gets the big 3.
Well, they're both definitely gone now. Fudge.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

I know Kaleb Tarcewski so I'm really getting a kick out of some of these replies..... You want to sound like you know what you're talking about but you don't... this is how bad info gets passed around cuz people will believe anything nowadays...
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Remember that talk around about Stainbrook being in the mix as a possible grad transfer? Even though Stainbrook has no eligibility?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I didn't want to say anything but I feel that now I must. My 8 year old has informed me (he won't reveal his sources) that all 5 starters will return... including TJ somehow. An amazing turn of events.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Alieberman wrote:I didn't want to say anything but I feel that now I must. My 8 year old has informed me (he won't reveal his sources) that all 5 starters will return... including TJ somehow. An amazing turn of events.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:

Remember that talk around about Stainbrook being in the mix as a possible grad transfer? Even though Stainbrook has no eligibility?
Shut up. Zeus and Ashley are staying and Stainbrook is being granted another year of eligibility, just to transfer here. When you add those three to Ristic, Anderson and our incoming class of Rabb, Zimmerman and Comanche, we should have a good post rotation next year.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Zero chance
gumby

Post by gumby »

Westbrook and Harden could not shoot like that in college. Frye extended his range. Iggy shoots it much better now.
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

If those guys return it will mess up Miller's plan to finally open up the offense, run a full-court press and go exclusively to a zone. Mixed feelings.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Well looks like we're screwed.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Shut up. Zeus and Ashley are staying and Stainbrook is being granted another year of eligibility, just to transfer here. When you add those three to Ristic, Anderson and our incoming class of Rabb, Zimmerman and Comanche, we should have a good post rotation next year.
Wow, not sure how you ended up out of the loop on THIS, but Diamond Stone has secretly de-committed from Maryland and told me personally (I live in DC so, you know) that he will be coming here because he wants to play with Jaylen Brown, Caleb Swanigan, and Isaiah Briscoe.

Christ get your head in the game Spaceman, you're making us all look bad with your silly predictions.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dcZONAfan wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Shut up. Zeus and Ashley are staying and Stainbrook is being granted another year of eligibility, just to transfer here. When you add those three to Ristic, Anderson and our incoming class of Rabb, Zimmerman and Comanche, we should have a good post rotation next year.
Wow, not sure how you ended up out of the loop on THIS, but Diamond Stone has secretly de-committed from Maryland and told me personally (I live in DC so, you know) that he will be coming here because he wants to play with Jaylen Brown, Caleb Swanigan, and Isaiah Briscoe.

Christ get your head in the game Spaceman, you're making us all look bad with your silly predictions.
How about this one:

Shaquille O'Neal and Snoop Dogg time traveled after the roast of Justin Bieber, returning to the 1980's. Shaq committed to Arizona, so we are now three time national champions. They then quickly returned to the McDonald's All American game using the time machine and then a rented Nissan Sentra. Shaq walked in slightly before tipoff decked out Arizona gear. Snoop was also decked out in Arizona gear, but that was because they had briefly stopped off in the 60's and J Edgar Hoover ripped off Snoop's clothes in a maniacal attempt to get Snoop to join him in cross dressing.

When they walked in, all the kids playing in the game were so impressed that they simultaneously signed letters of intent to Arizona. All 24. This openmindedness to change was not only felt in Chicago, but filtered across the border to Indiana, where they repealed their latest anti-homosexuality measure and bakers pumped out cakes in celebration. Isis was so offended by the freedom of choice that all members simultaneously committed suicide, bringing peace to the middle east.

Realizing resistance is futile, John Calipari has resigned at UK to become Arizona's recruiting coordinator. Note: I heard this all from a very trusted friend.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Diamond Stone. Sure do shine. Glad I found you. Glad your mine.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:

How about this one:

Shaquille O'Neal and Snoop Dogg time traveled after the roast of Justin Bieber, returning to the 1980's. Shaq committed to Arizona, so we are now three time national champions. They then quickly returned to the McDonald's All American game using the time machine and then a rented Nissan Sentra. Shaq walked in slightly before tipoff decked out Arizona gear. Snoop was also decked out in Arizona gear, but that was because they had briefly stopped off in the 60's and J Edgar Hoover ripped off Snoop's clothes in a maniacal attempt to get Snoop to join him in cross dressing.

When they walked in, all the kids playing in the game were so impressed that they simultaneously signed letters of intent to Arizona. All 24. This openmindedness to change was not only felt in Chicago, but filtered across the border to Indiana, where they repealed their latest anti-homosexuality measure and bakers pumped out cakes in celebration. Isis was so offended by the freedom of choice that all members simultaneously committed suicide, bringing peace to the middle east.

Realizing resistance is futile, John Calipari has resigned at UK to become Arizona's recruiting coordinator. Note: I heard this all from a very trusted friend.
:lol: :lol:
drallafi

Post by drallafi »

Not sure how reliable this is, but I heard Derrick Williams found a loophole to NCAA regulations and is planning a return for next year.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

drallafi wrote:Not sure how reliable this is, but I heard Derrick Williams found a loophole to NCAA regulations and is planning a return for next year.
Love D-Will. He's arguably the most clutch tourney player that Miller has had.
ButtonSalmon

Post by ButtonSalmon »

pokinmik wrote:
I could definitely see it happening. We'd have an amazing blend of youth, experience, and overall talent. Hell, even if only Tarc returns we'd have all that. I think we are going to be very good next year regardless.
Welll I certainaly did not say Ash IS returning only that some close to him have suggested to some that I know that he is seriously considering it but with these matters things change day to day, part of honoring the process as Arizona is that all players are encouraged to wait until end of season individual meetings CSM has with each player which I believe is happening now, before they make any decisions or announcements.

Word I got was when Greg Hansen asked Tarc in Vegas after the win if he was coming back Tarc smiled, winked and have him a nod, could mean nothing could mean everything but that is what Greg said, he also mentioned to Greg that he is excited about the chance to possibly play with Kadeem next year who Tarc has spoken very highly of. Ash has been mum but is well aware he has at leat three years of D league ahead of him no matter what and another year here, if he improves, could change that, he knows that and Miller will tell him that, I think ASH IS GONE but I am not counting him out yet.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

KT coming back would be great. He'd anchor the defense in the paint when the going gets tough. Love
to see him back.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

ButtonSalmon wrote:
pokinmik wrote:
Welll I certainaly did not say Ash IS returning only that some close to him have suggested to some that I know that he is seriously considering it but with these matters things change day to day, part of honoring the process as Arizona is that all players are encouraged to wait until end of season individual meetings CSM has with each player which I believe is happening now, before they make any decisions or announcements.

Word I got was when Greg Hansen asked Tarc in Vegas after the win if he was coming back Tarc smiled, winked and have him a nod, could mean nothing could mean everything but that is what Greg said, he also mentioned to Greg that he is excited about the chance to possibly play with Kadeem next year who Tarc has spoken very highly of. Ash has been mum but is well aware he has at leat three years of D league ahead of him no matter what and another year here, if he improves, could change that, he knows that and Miller will tell him that, I think ASH IS GONE but I am not counting him out yet.
Haha I'm with you. I said I COULD see it happening, but yea it is not likely at all. Tarc though I am pretty confident he might return. Tarc coming back would be huge. Not many teams or any would have a senior center like him.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

If one starter stays I will be very happy. Ashley and Tarc obviously the most likely to stay.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

PHXCATS wrote:If one starter stays I will be very happy. Ashley and Tarc obviously the most likely to stay.
They don't belong in the same sentence. Ashley has all but officially announced himself for the draft. He has no plans to return. Tarc is weighing his options.
SeattleCat

Post by SeattleCat »

Since Miller has been here, announcement of Draft departures has typically waited until a week after the tourney ends. So i don't expect to see anything official until next week.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

CSM didn't speculate today who else was leaving but he thought Bash would be next player to make his decision.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

84Cat wrote:CSM didn't speculate today who else was leaving but he thought Bash would be next player to make his decision.
I only caught the tail end of the stream. when he was getting up from the table he was still talking to someone, and mentioned something about someone definitely leaving....was he still talking about RHJ?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

That was about TJ lol
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

84Cat wrote:CSM didn't speculate today who else was leaving but he thought Bash would be next player to make his decision.
Man, if just one of these guys stays, we'll be in such better shape next season.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:That was about TJ lol
Yeah, he's probably gone.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »