Stanley Johnson

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Fishclamps

Re: Stanley Johnson

Post by Fishclamps »

Jefe wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:I still don't understand how he was called for a foul, when he got hit in the eye.
Still havent found a replay of that. Anyone?
Been lurking on here and at TOS before and during that shitstorm. Dunno why this finally made me register but oh well.

From what I saw on the eye poke replay, it looked like he had vaulted over the back of a Wisconsin player to get that rebound. Just what I saw though.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Yeah, think the foul occurred before the eye poke, which is where replay began.
Right where I want to be.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Re-watched it last night. Dekker was trying to box out Stanley and when they went up for the rebound Dekker slightly flew out of bounds. Might have been a push from Stanley but it was incidental contact at best. That's why the foul was called though.

Stanley and a Wisc player went up for the rebound and Ashley made a swipe for it at the same time. He missed the ball and poked Stanley in the eye. I dont think Stanley knew after the game but he probably does now.

So ... Ashley officially needs to come back now and redeem himself for losing both Wisc games for us :lol:
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

brave man. i don't think i have the stomach to rewatch the game yet.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Ya I just wanted to see the Stanley foul/eye poke. Watched the last 4 mins of the 1H and then the start of the 2H.

Staples Center showed very few replays, it was pathetic. I was ready to storm the court and make the refs beg for their lives. Was hoping Jon would meet me at half court
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

gumby

Post by gumby »

Are they aware that he was totally schooled by Ivan Rabb and Kadeem Allen?
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

gumby wrote:Are they aware that he was totally schooled by Ivan Rabb and Kadeem Allen?
And that he's on record saying he wants to stay all 4 years so he can make 5 final fours?
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

This was posted on the Stay Tuned thread, but probably should be here.

All right. What I'm about to say is crazy and I don't believe it myself.

Here's how much I don't believe it. I made a 50 dollar wager with a friend at the Pac 12 Tourney in Vegas AGAINST this happening.

This story took place at Lotus of Siam in Las Vegas - the absolute best Thai food I have ever had - and they have 3 James Beard awards to back that up.

Everything I'm about to tell you is true.

We traveled to Vegas for the Pac 12 tourney and before the Oregon game decided to stop at Lotus of Siam for dinner.
While we were seated a guy walked by us, noticed our Arizona gear and said, "Bear Down, hope you guys win tonight!" We said thanks, and then he said something really interesting, "I sell Stanley his shoes in Cali and I'm telling you right now he's coming back next year. I text the guy nearly every day, and I guarantee you he's coming back."

He continued on to the bathroom and left us all with our jaws on the floor. Many of us (me included) said there was no f'ing way this was happening. It was clear he was going to the NBA after his freshman year the minute he stepped on campus.

Let me describe this guy, just in case any of you know who I'm talking about. He's over 6 ft tall with a hipster beard and dark rimmed glasses. White, between 25-30. Medium build.

He passed by our table again on the way back and showed us his phone. The text thread was to Stanley. "See, this is my text to Stanley "You better win tonight, I got $ on the game. Cover the 12". Stanley's text was "No pressure, bro". Stanley's next text was "I'm shaving points lol"

Now it's obvious he was joking, but I don't even like to hear shit like that after Headache Smith, etc. Not even in jest. Stanley has jokes apparently. He's 19. And we went out and crushed Oregon and Stanley had a good game.

But after he showed us the texts and ASSURED us Stanley was coming back and that he didn't care about the NBA money, my friend offered a 50 buck wager that Stanley would in fact come back. I took that bet instantly. It's a win/win in my opinion. If I lose the 50, I win. Stanley is back.

In my heart, I don't really believe what Stanley's shoe hook-up in Cali has to say about him going pro. Hence accepting the 50 dollar bet.

But everything I just told you happened. No joke.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I believe your story, but be prepared to be Butcher'd
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

Congrats on winning $50.
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

Check out how they reworked the new Rookie pay scales. This isn't as crazy as it sounds. But yeah, I think I won the 50 too.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Miller probably wouldn't let him come back even if he wanted to.
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

Main Event wrote:Miller probably wouldn't let him come back even if he wanted to.
Why? And Miller has said many times imagine Stanley with 2 years.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Stanley Johnson is obviously going pro, but Miller would welcome him back. If that were to happen, that's as close as you can get to guaranteeing a national championship. Pre-season #1 and title-bound. It would be like a sophomore Derek Williams surrounded by talent in all of its natural positions.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Just got to love the offseason. Its the stories....
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

This would be HUGE!!! fuck your $50 I want a ring! Well it was fun saying it once!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Stanley Johnson is not coming back to Arizona, he's just not.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

The Butcher wrote:Check out how they reworked the new Rookie pay scales. This isn't as crazy as it sounds. But yeah, I think I won the 50 too.
There are no reworked rookie pay scales. Those are collectively bargained.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Olsondogg wrote:Stanley Johnson is not coming back to Arizona, he's just not.
That's really not hard to understand. Wonder why others are having problems with getting that?
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Shoe dude's order: Guay Tell Lai
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I feel like there should be a snopes on this website the last few days. The Rabb/Kerr/GSW hilarity and now this. Even if every detail is true it still needs a snopes.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I've decided to believe everything.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

ButtonSalmon still seems to believe the Rabb story even though I showed him it was physically impossible and Merkin found the flight tracker showing they actually flew to LA for their next game against the Clippers.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

So...after watching the games the past two weeks, why would an NBA GM use a top draft pick on Stanley?

Even the fuckup Harrison brothers could score against Wisconsin and Winslow is showing himself to be a MUCH better player at both ends than Stanley. Dude should come back and learn how to play with the ball in his hands. Sadly, the era of only leaving one you have a well rounded skill set is long past us.
gumby

Post by gumby »

I'd want to play for a charmer like you.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

gumby wrote:I'd want to play for a charmer like you.
A typically substantive post from you.

He's a good kid. But he's not one of the 10 best players or even prospects in the country right now.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

legallykenny wrote:

He's a good kid. But he's not one of the 10 best players or even prospects in the country right now.
That's just not true, except in your own mind.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
gumby

Post by gumby »

legallykenny wrote:

Come on, you can insult better than this. Come back next year.
Last edited by gumby on Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:02 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

gumby wrote:
legallykenny wrote:

I think he's out of eligibility
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

gumby wrote:
legallykenny wrote:

Insult you? No need, everyone knows you don't provide substance. Nothing but drive buy "jokes" that are only amusing to you. Much like Stanley, you have your place but you're not a star.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

legallykenny wrote:
gumby wrote:
legallykenny wrote:

Insult you? No need, everyone knows you don't provide substance. Nothing but drive buy "jokes" that are only amusing to you. Much like Stanley, you have your place but you're not a star.
Give up and go to bed now, you're embarrassing yourself.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

ASUHATER! wrote:
legallykenny wrote:
gumby wrote:
legallykenny wrote:

Give up and go to bed now, you're embarrassing yourself.
So are scouts apparently then since he's falling down the draft lists.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Kenny, do you remember where the mocks and experts had Gordon dropping to late last season? A few had him in the mid teens and most of the rest somewhere in that 8-13 range. And where did he go?
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Yah, Kenny. A lot of us are shaking our heads at your equation with performance in a college game versus the NBA pros. Very different game and not the same skill sets.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

legallykenny wrote:
gumby wrote:
legallykenny wrote:

We have stars? Sweet. Now we need TMZ-style paparazzi.

"We caught Merkin where we usually do, on a park bench ogling young women..."
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

rgdeuce wrote:Kenny, do you remember where the mocks and experts had Gordon dropping to late last season? A few had him in the mid teens and most of the rest somewhere in that 8-13 range. And where did he go?
So your postulate is that the mock drafts are systemically biased against Arizona players?

How has that pick worked out for Orlando so far? Hopefully this season is just a result of the injury but an inauspicious beginning to his career to say the least.
gumby

Post by gumby »

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2015/
Stan is No. 9 here. Probably plunge when the scouts check kenny's substance.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Daryl Zero wrote:Yah, Kenny. A lot of us are shaking our heads at your equation with performance in a college game versus the NBA pros. Very different game and not the same skill sets.
I think that works against Stanley. It works in favor of Rondae, because his freakish athleticism will help in the more open game. Stanley is athletically limited and won't be able to rely on getting to the line the way he did this year. Rondae had Artest or Kawhi Leonard type skill sets. Who exactly is your comp for Stanley in the modern league?
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

gumby wrote:http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2015/
From 4 or 5 two weeks ago. So can we get over the "Stanley will be the best player we've ever put in the league" talk that some idiots have been spouting around here?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

legallykenny wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Kenny, do you remember where the mocks and experts had Gordon dropping to late last season? A few had him in the mid teens and most of the rest somewhere in that 8-13 range. And where did he go?
So your postulate is that the mock drafts are systemically biased against Arizona players?

How has that pick worked out for Orlando so far? Hopefully this season is just a result of the injury but an inauspicious beginning to his career to say the least.
No, just that the "experts" who do those mocks aren't NBA GM's.

And yea, the injury may have been a setback for Gordon, but I am not seeing what has been wrong with the start of his career. A per 36 minute of 11.4 ppg and 7.4 boards for a 19-year-old is nothing to sneeze at. Everyone loves his defense and for a guy who a lot of idiots in Tucson said had a broken shot, he's shot respectable. Especially when you use your brain and realize his draft position was largely due to his upside. He's only going to get better.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

legallykenny wrote:
Daryl Zero wrote:Yah, Kenny. A lot of us are shaking our heads at your equation with performance in a college game versus the NBA pros. Very different game and not the same skill sets.
I think that works against Stanley. It works in favor of Rondae, because his freakish athleticism will help in the more open game. Stanley is athletically limited and won't be able to rely on getting to the line the way he did this year. Rondae had Artest or Kawhi Leonard type skill sets. Who exactly is your comp for Stanley in the modern league?
:lol: @ Stanley being athletically limited. He's a freak athlete for his size.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

rgdeuce wrote:
legallykenny wrote:
:lol: @ Stanley being athletically limited. He's a freak athlete for his size.
I guess no one has ever described him as "not very explosive from a vertical standpoint" then or "isn't quite as physical as you might hope"?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Why you talking about physicality? I thought we were talking about athleticism. And now athletcism solely means vertical lift? Got it.

And it's not like he isn't 18 or 19 right? Cuz if guys don't learn how to use their body/physical assets at 18, they never will...
gumby

Post by gumby »

legallykenny wrote:
From 4 or 5 two weeks ago. So can we get over the "Stanley will be the best player we've ever put in the league" talk that some idiots have been spouting around here?
Says "updated nightly." Why would I need to get over something I've never said? I've already said it's premature. Anyway, you're discounting his speed, power and ball skills. Rare for a guy that big who only just started lifting. They draft on potential. He has loads. The most polished offensive player on a talented team, at 18.
77HoyaCat4Ever

Post by 77HoyaCat4Ever »

Players remain exactly in the pros as they were as college freshmen. They don't improve. I mean look at Russell Westbrook or James Harden.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

legallykenny wrote:
So let me get this straight... The fact that Stanley is falling down the draft boards is evidence that the NBA guys realize he is not as good as advertised, and those guys are experts. But the fact that Gordon was picked top 5 proves that NBA GM's don't know what they are doing - and Stanley will prove that point again if he goes higher than you think he should. Which one is it?
eoe

Post by eoe »

A groupthink vs. LK thread: feels like home.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Hassan Adams was more athletic than Brandon Roy. Jerryd Bayless a better athlete than James Harden. Richard Jefferson .... why would anyone take Zach Randolph? It's all about running fast and jumping high. Can buy skills and know-how with that first contract.
WildcatRx

Post by WildcatRx »

Dislike LK as much as you want, but he does have some valid points. Although most of us are too biased to admit that, the same bias we had last year with NJ.
"I do not like Miller"-- Machina