Stanley Johnson

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ASUHATER!

Re: Stanley Johnson

Post by ASUHATER! »

WildcatRx wrote:Dislike LK as much as you want, but he does have some valid points. Although most of us are too biased to admit that, the same bias we had last year with NJ.
He really doesn't though.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

I don't disagree with some of what LK is saying. Im anxious to see how Stanley translates to the NBA. He isn't a top level athlete by any means. He struggles to finish at the rim, especially against size and length.

I do like his pull up game, his size and the ability to draw fouls. However, I don't think he has one elite skill yet The good news is that he can score when he goes into attack mode. That is as valuable as anything.

I do wonder with the added spacing in the NBA if he continues to draw fouls like he did here. I think he will, which bodes well for him. His shooting was hit or miss, but should improve. He rebounds the ball well. Needs to work on his defense.

Overall, I think he turns into a good NBA player, but im not sure I see an All-Star. Again, hard to get a read on him because you cant point out one elite skill/attribute, which typically defines players who turn into stars.

Really excited to see how he develops, because he has a lot to work on.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

WildcatRx wrote:Dislike LK as much as you want, but he does have some valid points. Although most of us are too biased to admit that, the same bias we had last year with NJ.
Problem is, I'm not sure exactly what point he's trying to make. But I'm pretty obtuse, or so I've been told.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Puerco wrote:
Problem is, I'm not sure exactly what point he's trying to make. But I'm pretty obtuse, or so I've been told.
I can't believe there are LK supporters/socks here. Tear down this site and rebuild!!
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

If Stanley was as flawless at 6'7 245 as legally kenny expects, he would be the first pick. Every guy in this draft and just anout any other draft has flaws. I don't disagree with some of the flaws he is pointing out, but hes making them look huge
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I think LK brings some good observations to the table.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Also have concerns about how SJ adapts to the league. Had similar thoughts about Dwill. When your college success is based so much on how physically superior you are to your competition, you never know what the player's transition is going to look like when that element goes away. SJ is not going to be able to muscle his way to the rim for 2ft hanging floaters anymore. He needs to become a better/smarter basketball player. His midrange game and his jumper in general developed really nicely this year, which is a great sign, but he's a ways from having an NBA arsenal. High ceiling, sure, but he'll likely struggle early on against people as athletic as he is, which is just about every 2-guard out there. And there's definitely a risk that he doesn't ever reach his potential if he can't get over the hump.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

People are sleeping on the difference in the college game and NBA game though. His game translates well to the NBA game. Teams in the league are not going to be running zone and packing the paint like they do against Arizona. Stanley showed respectable range from three, a nice pullup midrange game, and a solid first step to get by defenders. His shot will continue to get better and he had a nice skill set for a 19 year old wing.

He already has an NBA body and hes only been lifting weights one year. He was stronger than just about anybody in D1 basketball and Pretty much all college freshmen struggle being at a new level in terms of not being able to just overpower everyone like they did in high school. His base size and strength is above most guys under 21 entering the league or in the league already. Hes athletic enough to play 2 in the league and he will absolutely abuse nba 2's once he learns to use his body. He will be right at home at the 3 and still be physically superior to many 3's and he is long enough to play the 4 in a small lineup and be quicker than almost any 4. Hes going to be a very good rebounder at the 2 or 3

And the biggest thing people are sleeping on, which was noted in his draft express scouting report is his defensive upside, which i whole heartedly agree with. He will be able to guard and nba 2 through a smaller 4 on his body, foot speed and wingspan alone. Yea he took plays off, gambled a little too much on d and had other mental lapses, but most freshmen arent Aaron Gordon.

Look at the big picture. Hes already top 4 freshmen in the country and his upside is higher than some of those ahead of him.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

rgdeuce wrote:People are sleeping on the difference in the college game and NBA game though. His game translates well to the NBA game. Teams in the league are not going to be running zone and packing the paint like they do against Arizona. Stanley showed respectable range from three, a nice pullup midrange game, and a solid first step to get by defenders. His shot will continue to get better and he had a nice skill set for a 19 year old wing.

He already has an NBA body and hes only been lifting weights one year. He was stronger than just about anybody in D1 basketball and Pretty much all college freshmen struggle being at a new level in terms of not being able to just overpower everyone like they did in high school. His base size and strength is above most guys under 21 entering the league or in the league already. Hes athletic enough to play 2 in the league and he will absolutely abuse nba 2's once he learns to use his body. He will be right at home at the 3 and still be physically superior to many 3's and he is long enough to play the 4 in a small lineup and be quicker than almost any 4. Hes going to be a very good rebounder at the 2 or 3

And the biggest thing people are sleeping on, which was noted in his draft express scouting report is his defensive upside, which i whole heartedly agree with. He will be able to guard and nba 2 through a smaller 4 on his body, foot speed and wingspan alone. Yea he took plays off, gambled a little too much on d and had other mental lapses, but most freshmen arent Aaron Gordon.

Look at the big picture. Hes already top 4 freshmen in the country and his upside is higher than some of those ahead of him.
He didn't lift weights at Mater Dei?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat34 wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:People are sleeping on the difference in the college game and NBA game though. His game translates well to the NBA game. Teams in the league are not going to be running zone and packing the paint like they do against Arizona. Stanley showed respectable range from three, a nice pullup midrange game, and a solid first step to get by defenders. His shot will continue to get better and he had a nice skill set for a 19 year old wing.

He didn't lift weights at Mater Dei?
Reports are that he didn't start lifting until he got to Arizona.
gumby

Post by gumby »

CalStateTempe wrote:I think LK brings some good observations to the table.
And a switchblade. No need for the latter.
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

TucsonClip wrote:I don't disagree with some of what LK is saying. Im anxious to see how Stanley translates to the NBA. He isn't a top level athlete by any means. He struggles to finish at the rim, especially against size and length.

I do like his pull up game, his size and the ability to draw fouls. However, I don't think he has one elite skill yet The good news is that he can score when he goes into attack mode. That is as valuable as anything.

I do wonder with the added spacing in the NBA if he continues to draw fouls like he did here. I think he will, which bodes well for him. His shooting was hit or miss, but should improve. He rebounds the ball well. Needs to work on his defense.

Overall, I think he turns into a good NBA player, but im not sure I see an All-Star. Again, hard to get a read on him because you cant point out one elite skill/attribute, which typically defines players who turn into stars.

Really excited to see how he develops, because he has a lot to work on.
This is a good assessment.
Right where I want to be.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

threenumberones wrote:Also have concerns about how SJ adapts to the league. Had similar thoughts about Dwill. When your college success is based so much on how physically superior you are to your competition, you never know what the player's transition is going to look like when that element goes away. SJ is not going to be able to muscle his way to the rim for 2ft hanging floaters anymore. He needs to become a better/smarter basketball player. His midrange game and his jumper in general developed really nicely this year, which is a great sign, but he's a ways from having an NBA arsenal. High ceiling, sure, but he'll likely struggle early on against people as athletic as he is, which is just about every 2-guard out there. And there's definitely a risk that he doesn't ever reach his potential if he can't get over the hump.
Actually, the greater spacing sets up well for Stanley. If he winds up 6'6-7, around a solid 245-250, that is enough size to bully SG's in the league too. His ability to get into the lane should actually be greater at the next level without the sag, zone schemes.

His ability to rebound and pass are nice assets. If he can move his feet on D, he can become a really good all around player. I'm not sure he winds up an allstar, but he's one of those guys who would be a great 3rd best player on a championship contender.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

damn these fake accts :oops:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:damn these fake accts :oops:
April 1.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Just to tease ya
Machina

Post by Machina »

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaab/eye-on- ... -nba-draft

Arizona's Johnson torn about whether or not to enter the NBA Draft
By Jon Rothstein / CBS Sports
April 06, 2015 03:06 PM ET
Arizona freshman Stanley Johnson is 'torn' over whether or not to enter the 2015 NBA Draft, sources told CBSSports.com on Monday.

The 6-8 wing is a projected lottery pick and led the Wildcats in scoring this past season at 13.8 points.

"He's really torn," one source said. "He doesn't want to go out like he did against Wisconsin. For five years in basketball, Stanley has always won his final game. He's used to winning."

Johnson only scored six points and was just 2-4 from the field when the Wildcats lost to Wisconsin in the Elite Eight. He had a record of 135-5 in high school while he played at Mater Dei (California) and won four state titles during that period.

If Johnson returned to Tucson, he'd be a legitimate national player of the year candidate and an easy choice as a preseason all-american. The Wildcats went 34-4 this past season.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

When your NBA career ends and you look back on it all (at age 35+ or whenever), you won't look back and be sad you came back for a second year in Tucson Stanley.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

You shut your mouth. Keep your hands on the wheel. Don't turn around.

This is for real.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Well, this is just something we'll all have to survive. You just wish that a kid would understand how insane everyone else is, and not have such thoughts out loud. Because everybody knows that's as close as you can come to a guaranteed hell of a run for the ages.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Feeling is he'll declare? Just insane that isn't certain.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Play well and could get a million more. Play worse and lose a million. It feels like an emotional thing right now that will probably calm down. If I am him, I go. If he cares about me, he stays and gets to hear "Stan the Man" for the next year.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

When you think about it, the fact that he really does want to stay probably means he's going to be a hell of an Arizona ambassador during his NBA career. This will be awesome for recruiting. This is probably also good for the coaching staff to see.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azgreg wrote:
I really have a hard time processing this. I would be beyond shocked if he returned. It's hard to even consider.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PG - PJC, Simon, York
SG - Trier, York, Allen, Simon
SF - Johnson, Smith, Trier, Pitts
PF - Anderson, Grad Transfer, Johnson
C - Tarczewski, Ristic, Comanche
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

"The rule" says that if you are in the lottery you go. "The rule" hasn't changed.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:"The rule" says that if you are in the lottery you go. "The rule" hasn't changed.
That's true. And I think Chicat just broke a rule, too.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Merkin wrote:"The rule" says that if you are in the lottery you go. "The rule" hasn't changed.
And the rule is a rule for a reason. And the rule is even a double rule when the pick number by your name is of the single digit variety.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:PG - PJC, Simon, York
SG - Trier, York, Allen, Simon
SF - Johnson, Smith, Trier, Pitts
PF - Anderson, Grad Transfer, Johnson
C - Tarczewski, Ristic, Comanche
You left off Rabb and Michael Jordan.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

All hope aside, I don't really think this is a legit thing. I understand the feeling, but how do you turn down the lottery?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

If you get told by multiple teams they'll take you in the 1st, you declare. It's guaranteed money. Life-changing money. It's not a lot, but it can pull a family from poverty.

Almost all rookie contracts are picked up for four seasons. So even if backend, your looking at roughly 1 million after taxes over those four years.

Johnson should go. He can definitely gain by coming back, but not so exponentially he eadically alters his lifetime worth. That being said, he'd go down as a legend if he comes back, takes the lead, puts the team on his back, helps securing a Final 4.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

JMarkJohns wrote:If you get told by multiple teams they'll take you in the 1st, you declare. It's guaranteed money. Life-changing money. It's not a lot, but it can pull a family from poverty.

Almost all rookie contracts are picked up for four seasons. So even if backend, your looking at roughly 1 million after taxes over those four years.

Johnson should go. He can definitely gain by coming back, but not so exponentially he eadically alters his lifetime worth. That being said, he'd go down as a legend if he comes back, takes the lead, puts the team on his back, helps securing a Final 4.
That would be glorious.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

damn the media for toying with my emotions like this.

while i would love to see his freshman-to-soph development jump (plus "unfinished business"), i can barely fathom second year stan at Arizona. is the draft stacked at his position or what?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote:
That's true. And I think Chicat just broke a rule, too.
I make my own rules.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Not expecting him back no matter what I read or hear, but that would be cool if he came back. Doesn't happen too often for those in his shoes
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

JMarkJohns wrote:Johnson should go. He can definitely gain by coming back, but not so exponentially he eadically alters his lifetime worth. That being said, he'd go down as a legend if he comes back, takes the lead, puts the team on his back, helps securing a Final 4.
Estimated money made if goes now: 80%+ of $100M+

Estimated money made if goes a year from now: 80%+ of $100M+

So...go legend? Why not.

But it never happens.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

By "thinking about it and torn"...that means he's only 90% sure he's declaring.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Homework or millions of dollars? Hmmm

please dont read that post Stan
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
All hope aside, I don't really think this is a legit thing. I understand the feeling, but how do you turn down the lottery?
It's 100% legit.

I'd bet away the rest of my life's income that he doesn't return, but this is a welcome confirmation that he's going to be all-in for Arizona throughout his NBA career.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
It's 100% legit.

I'd bet away the rest of my life's income that he doesn't return, but this is a welcome confirmation that he's going to be all-in for Arizona throughout his NBA career.
I meant legit in the way there's any reason I should get my hopes up.
PerpEph

Post by PerpEph »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
It's 100% legit.

I meant legit in the way there's any reason I should get my hopes up.
I wouldn't. What's the point? Almost certainly he's going. Just assume that he's gone. And if, by some miracle, he decides to come back, then go bananas.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

That's essentially what I'm doing.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

Until 97 says "not zero chance" its zero chance.
cpt

Post by cpt »

From everything I've read, he really is loving college life and Tucson. He loves being a Wildcat. That this is even a hard decision reflects great on the program and Sean Miller.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I'm not getting my hopes up, but if he were to come back...wow, legend status and instant fan favorite.

The Soph jump, plus a hungry/pissed take no prisoners Stanimal putting in play every game what he finally got down the latter half of Feb on...wow.

He would sky rocket to the top of my favorite CATS list.
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

Holy shit, man.

So you're saying there's a chance.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Holy shit is right. I may not survive the offseason if he comes back!
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I wonder if they are getting their info from a Socal shoe salesman?
LBdCactus

Post by LBdCactus »

Sorry, I just finished getting over my hangover from saturday.

Let me get this straight....

STANLEY JOHNSON IS RETURNING
his cable box?

What a glorious day!