Stanley Johnson

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Machina

Re: Stanley Johnson

Post by Machina »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Machina wrote:Jefe equals swim fan equals creeper

B.J. Denker says hi Machina.
You really think me liking Denker when no one else did and seeing him at the open compares to what jefe does? I think it is beyond creepy to follow college kids on social media and high school kids are a million times worse. Jefe goes beyond following thme on social media.

Let the player play I guess
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Wed May 06, 2015 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I don't think you understand Twitter, Machina.

Stanley Johnson has 33.5K followers, probably near all of them UA fans.
Last edited by Merkin on Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Machina doesn't like Denker, he likes him-likes him.

Oh the tragedy of unrequited love...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Katzenfreund wrote:
84Cat wrote:Hmm
Malina...Machina

Bingo, that's the "man".
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

When will mens basketball play a game in Phoenix? :lol:

Quality entertainment.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Machina wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
Machina wrote:Jefe equals swim fan equals creeper

B.J. Denker says hi Machina.
You really think me liking Denker when no one else did and seeing him at the open compares to what jefe does? I think it is beyond creepy to follow college kids on social media and high school kids are a million times worse. Jefe goes beyond following thme on social media.

Let the player play I guess
That's just the way it is when you become a celebrity. It comes with the territory when you choose a path that makes you known to the public. Sports is one of those paths. It's something Stanley Johnson will have to understand and learn how to handle the publicity responsibly. If you want to be more anonymous, choose another profession.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Katzenfreund wrote:
84Cat wrote:Hmm
Malina...Machina
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

dirtbags wrote:it's like they're walking onto campus with three foot dicks covered in elvis dust, jefe.
I guess I dont have as much dust as I thought :lol:
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

17 hours ago • Bruce Pascoe

One theory behind Stanley's wait

NBA executives from two different teams told me last
season that Stanley Johnson was an certain to be a Top 5 draft pick in June -- and Draft Express had him there for months -- but it now appears he may be slipping a bit.

That may be the reason why Johnson has not yet made an announcement about his future: Draft Express says the UA wing is seeking assurances that he will be selected in the Top 10 of the June NBA Draft, and will go ahead if he gets them.

The difference in guaranteed salary between a No. 5 pick and a No. 9 pick (where Draft Express currently lists Johnson) is about $1 million a year. Since rookies are locked into the rookie scale for four years, that's a significant amount.

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/a ... f81ec.html
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Stay hungry Stan.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Bruce Pascoe has been kicking it with captain obvious and Mr. Late to the Party, I see
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

rgdeuce wrote:Bruce Pascoe has been kicking it with captain obvious and Mr. Late to the Party, I see

Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Let's just say I was not a believer but I am starting to think there is a possibilty. ;)
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

So you're saying there's a chance?

Yeah!
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Did anybody see the picture Blair posted about a week ago with PJC, Allen, Zues and SJ. All guys that are thought to be coming back. I didn't see guys who are leaving in that picture
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Stan Johnson staying!

http://www.statepress.com/article/2015/ ... ball-staff

At ASU...

dont ban me
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

3goggles wrote:Did anybody see the picture Blair posted about a week ago with PJC, Allen, Zues and SJ. All guys that are thought to be coming back. I didn't see guys who are leaving in that picture
I've heard Allen feels he's accomplished all he can at this level and is thinking about leaving.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I don't follow the NBA at all, but would this be an incentive for SJ to stay one more year?

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:I don't follow the NBA at all, but would this be an incentive for SJ to stay one more year?

No. Rookies are still on a scale. Unless the scale changes, the incentive is still to leave early, get to the second contract asap, get away from the scale and make real $.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Merkin wrote:I don't follow the NBA at all, but would this be an incentive for SJ to stay one more year?
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2292&hilit=rookie+salary
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

CatMG

Post by CatMG »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

No. Rookies are still on a scale. Unless the scale changes, the incentive is still to leave early, get to the second contract asap, get away from the scale and make real $.
Yet many leave before they should (not saying that applies to SJ), get drafted in the 1st round on potential and don't develop enough to get that second contract.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I like that Yankees hat KP is wearing.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

So it would actually be better to be drafted in the second round and sign a shorter contract?
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

Chicat wrote:I like that Yankees hat KP is wearing.
Yeah it is sweet. I have the same hat. It is from the Scranton Wilkes-Barre Yankees who were the New York Yankees triple A team. Scranton is still the Yankees triple A team but now they are called the Scranton Wilkes-Barre Railriders.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Rising CAP over next four years means Stanley should leave this year so his first year of extension coincides with the likely ceiling of 100+ million CAP. If he waits even one year more he likely costs himself over 8-25 million depending on the type of player he develops into.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

So am I crazy for thinking the longer time goes by and he keeps posting pictures with for sure players on next year team our odds are going up for a possible return?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

3goggles wrote:So am I crazy for thinking the longer time goes by and he keeps posting pictures with for sure players on next year team our odds are going up for a possible return?
He's gone.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:So it would actually be better to be drafted in the second round and sign a shorter contract?
The big thing, other than $ is that first round contracts are guaranteed. For the player, it means financial security, but also, it means the team will probably pay attention to you for longer. If you're a 2nd rounder who tweaks his knee in camp, the team probably won't bother to keep their attention on you while you rehab. 1st rounders, they still have to pay so they probably will pay attention.

I agree with Jmark. I want my second contract as close as possible to the expansion of the cap. Teams get extra cap space, they'll be tempted to overpay.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Merkin wrote:So it would actually be better to be drafted in the second round and sign a shorter contract?
It won't hurt.

Say Ashley sticks with a club for two or three years, and starts making a rotational players impact. His MLE level money could be 10-12 million per, which is near MAX now.

The minimum alone will make it worth going, and you want to go in this four year bubble when minimum players are signed to .5-2, average players are signed to 3-8, good players are signed go 8-12, very good in the 12-15, and great in the 15-20+ because their longterm signing creates a huge discrepancy in current books vs. soon to be current ceiling, so teams will have the most money to spend in the next 2-4 years.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

JMarkJohns wrote:
3goggles wrote:So am I crazy for thinking the longer time goes by and he keeps posting pictures with for sure players on next year team our odds are going up for a possible return?
He's gone.
I agree, but if you can call one guy a true Wildcat after just 1 season who better than Stanimal?
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

azgreg wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:
He's gone.
I agree, but if you can call one guy a true Wildcat after just 1 season who better than Stanimal?
Man I would for the chemistry thread to live another year!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Check out the wristband on right wrist. He's sending a message.
Right where I want to be.
cpt

Post by cpt »

I dig his shoes
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Arizona basketball: Johnson, Zeus still mulling over options
Stanley, Zeus considering staying

Stanley Johnson may be dealing with the biggest decision of his adult life, which … just started.

“He’s only 18,” Johnson’s mother, Karen Taylor, said, repeatedly, while discussing her son’s decision of whether to leave the Arizona Wildcats after just one season.

Sitting in the Top 5 in the NBA mock drafts for most of his freshman season at Arizona, Johnson has slightly dropped into the 6-10 range — which still means he’s projected to earn at least $2 million next season in the NBA.

That’s why UA coaches have been preparing for his departure, and continue to do so. They even have Drexel grad transfer Damion Lee, a high-powered wing scorer, on campus for a recruiting visit this weekend.

But while UA center Kaleb Tarczewski has not yet declared his expected decision to stay at UA, Taylor and Johnson’s high school coach insist Johnson is thinking about sticking around, too.

“I know all the other kids who have announced didn’t come back to school, but Stanley’s still taking classes,” said Gary McKnight, who coached Johnson at Mater Dei High School. “To me that’s a good sign that he’s seriously considering coming back. I’ve encouraged him to stay. He’s only 18 and an extra year of college basketball can put him in the top echelon. And he really enjoys college.”

McKnight said he spoke to Johnson last week and believed he “has a real conflict going and can’t make up his mind.”

Taylor said her son is “still processing” all the information, while Tarczewski’s former coach and mentor John Carroll, said earlier this month that Tarczewski was taking his time with his decision.

While neither Johnson nor Tarczewski could be reached for comment, here’s some of the arguments that might be floating around in their heads as the April 26 deadline to declare for early draft entry nears...
http://tucson.com/sports/college/wildca ... e14f9.html
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Quite frankly, that last article gives me more hope for Stanley returning than any of the other speculation/tweets/conjecture. Stanley is young for his class, his mom notes that in the article, and she doesn't seem to be pushing him in any direction. But most interesting are the comments from Coach McKnight. Coach McKnight has earned Stanley and his family's trust, and, really, he is best served by Stanley going pro and being a player from his program that is ready for the NBA after 1 year. McKnight gains nothing by Stanley returning...yet his advice to his former player is he should stay. His reasoning is along the same lines of my thinking...it's not about basketball readiness so much, but rather being ready to be a professional who is financially responsible for his family and their well-being at 18/19. When does he get to be a kid? He is off on a crazy road if he declares, one with massive rewards AND major headaches. It sounds like Coach McKnight is counseling Stan to come back and be a kid for one last year if he wants to...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

“I know all the other kids who have announced didn’t come back to school, but Stanley’s still taking classes,” said Gary McKnight, who coached Johnson at Mater Dei High School. “To me that’s a good sign that he’s seriously considering coming back.

He is still taking classes since he is still a Wildcat and doesn't want to hurt the team's APR. What kind of asshole would drop out of school and hurt the team?

Or did a new semester start?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:“I know all the other kids who have announced didn’t come back to school, but Stanley’s still taking classes,” said Gary McKnight, who coached Johnson at Mater Dei High School. “To me that’s a good sign that he’s seriously considering coming back.

He is still taking classes since he is still a Wildcat and doesn't want to hurt the team's APR. What kind of asshole would drop out of school and hurt the team?

Or did a new semester start?
Did Grant Jerrett finish his classes?

Semester starts middle of January.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Hes not coming back, get over it.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

cats101 wrote:Hes not coming back, get over it.

Why do you say that? Do you know something or is this one of those reverse jinxes
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Whoa, we got a badass over here
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

cats101 wrote:Hes not coming back, get over it.

It's a fan forum. People are going to speculate. Deal with it.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Exactly...we are all speculating. Making the likely call (he is going) like it is known by the individual (it isn't..Stanley doesn't know) is worth an eye roll. Acting like you know like an internet...badass...when you really are simply making an educated guess is worth an eyeroll...
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

JMarkJohns wrote:Rising CAP over next four years means Stanley should leave this year so his first year of extension coincides with the likely ceiling of 100+ million CAP. If he waits even one year more he likely costs himself over 8-25 million depending on the type of player he develops into.
Not trying to be a dick, but I don't understand how you are coming to that conclusion. The cap isn't going DOWN, are you basing this around the idea that other players are going to eat up more of the cap space if he waits? Regardless of whether he goes now or in a year his second contract will still be under the increased cap. I would think the rookie scale would increase with the cap, but honestly I don't follow the NBA as closely as I do the NFL so I am not sure how their rookie scale works. I assume it was part of the CBA, and has some sort of provision for increases year to year based on total cap, etc.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

splitsecond wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:Rising CAP over next four years means Stanley should leave this year so his first year of extension coincides with the likely ceiling of 100+ million CAP. If he waits even one year more he likely costs himself over 8-25 million depending on the type of player he develops into.
Not trying to be a dick, but I don't understand how you are coming to that conclusion. The cap isn't going DOWN, are you basing this around the idea that other players are going to eat up more of the cap space if he waits? Regardless of whether he goes now or in a year his second contract will still be under the increased cap. I would think the rookie scale would increase with the cap, but honestly I don't follow the NBA as closely as I do the NFL so I am not sure how their rookie scale works. I assume it was part of the CBA, and has some sort of provision for increases year to year based on total cap, etc.
If his second contract coincides with a cap raise, he will be part of the FA class that gets the sudden benefit of teams with sudden millions in cap space at the same time he is free to sign for whatever he wants.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

So, Sunday midnight is the deadline to declare?
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
splitsecond wrote:
If his second contract coincides with a cap raise, he will be part of the FA class that gets the sudden benefit of teams with sudden millions in cap space at the same time he is free to sign for whatever he wants.
I understand that part, but I was under the understanding that was happening sooner than he would get his second contract, even if he left this year. Isn't that bump supposed to happen after next season? Hence the possibility of the rookie scale going up as well? All I can remember about it is that Lebron's contract is up at the same time as the increase so he will be able to cash in, and I thought I remembered him getting a 2 years deal.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

splitsecond wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
splitsecond wrote:
I understand that part, but I was under the understanding that was happening sooner than he would get his second contract, even if he left this year. Isn't that bump supposed to happen after next season? Hence the possibility of the rookie scale going up as well? All I can remember about it is that Lebron's contract is up at the same time as the increase so he will be able to cash in, and I thought I remembered him getting a 2 years deal.
You can extend prior to expiration. Stanley would be hoping for an extension when he is first eligible. The total length runs further.

And actually, I guess I screwed up the prior answer. The cap will probably continue to jump, but he wont be a FA first jump.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/9/29/6 ... -explainer
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
splitsecond wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
splitsecond wrote:
You can extend prior to expiration. Stanley would be hoping for an extension when he is first eligible. The total length runs further.

And actually, I guess I screwed up the prior answer. The cap will probably continue to jump, but he wont be a FA first jump.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/9/29/6 ... -explainer
Ok that makes sense. That is a lot of speculation - he has to perform to the level needed for an early extension to even get one. So I can see the point, but it is definitely not a guarantee that he "costs himself millions" if he stays.