gumby

Re: Mark Tollefsen

Post by gumby »

For every team.
Right where I want to be.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

BigSkyCatinMT wrote:First knee injury or broken foot screws it all up. Done that already.
It'd have to happen to one specific player for it to be an issue.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

What is that from? here it is:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
BigSkyCatinMT wrote:First knee injury or broken foot screws it all up. Done that already.
It'd have to happen to one specific player for it to be an issue.
It is what it is. You can't see it ahead of time, and it's hard to recruit a grad transfer for a likely 10-15 mpg role.

Lee is probably the one who has a better chance right now bc the wing is in flux.
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

azcat34 wrote:What is that from? here it is:
Interesting post. Same guy who said he was transferring.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Come on down!
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

azgreg wrote:
Arizona actually has two scholarships if Stanley leaves, but Scheer I guess thinks Arizona will be a man short or give it to Hazzard I guess.

A traditional transfer would probably make sense like Anderson if Stanley left and Tarc, Tollefson (potentially) gone for 16-17.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Has Scheer said anything about Tarc? Still a little nervous that he hasn't publicly expressed his intention to return.

And why hasn't Tollefsen committed yet? Is he looking around?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote:Has Scheer said anything about Tarc? Still a little nervous that he hasn't publicly expressed his intention to return.

And why hasn't Tollefsen committed yet? Is he looking around?

His visit is this weekend. He has no other visits scheduled.
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

azcat34 wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Arizona actually has two scholarships if Stanley leaves, but Scheer I guess thinks Arizona will be a man short or give it to Hazzard I guess.

Post above is correct.
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I don't think Tollefsen comes to Arizona.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

So we may strike out on sj, rabb, Lee and tollefsen. And now tarc may end up leaving too. Great.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
TrueCat14

Post by TrueCat14 »

Longhorned wrote:I don't think Tollefsen comes to Arizona.

Why?
az91

Post by az91 »

Where does he go? Back to San Francisco?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

What would even be the point of us bringing him in for a visit? There's not even a clear candidate at this point who would land him if not Arizona. What a silly waste of time this period has been in regards to following this transfer recruiting if we don't end up with either of the guys we pursued.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Tollefsen is certainly interested, I can see why Miller wants him, and I think Arizona will offer him. And he very well could be on board. But I'm unclear what the indication is that he'd come. SDSU and UCLA remain real possibilities, and yes, he can return to SF and thrive there like he has.

If we compare to Lee, I think Lee rightly wants to showcase himself at the 2, which is his usual (I won't say "natural") position. I think Miller honestly and rightly tried to sell him on the arguably interchangeable 3. Yet even there, Ray Smith is Micky D-level talent minus a year for rehab. That presents possible contingencies.

Tollefsen is Arizona's back-up choice of grad transfers (that is a possible factor), for the opportunity to come play back-up minutes at the 4 in the following situation: 1) Anderson is probably Arizona's best player next year; 2) Miller is developing Ristic with the intention of playing him together at Tarc regularly (no joke); 3) Arizona is loaded on guards who can floor effective small ball with Smith at the 3.

It would be one thing if Arizona looked like an obvious contender next year, where even a small role is potentially attractive. But to me it isn't clear what he's getting in return for committing his final year to Arizona.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
What would even be the point of us bringing him in for a visit? There's not even a clear candidate at this point who would land him if not Arizona. What a silly waste of time this period has been in regards to following this transfer recruiting if we don't end up with either of the guys we pursued.
As if somehow following recruiting usually is some kind of worthwhile fulfilling endeavor? Unless you're Josh Gershon or a handful of other people paid to follow the whims of high schoolers, it's always a waste of time. Sometimes fun, other times not so much. But always a wonderful waste of time.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
As if somehow following recruiting usually is some kind of worthwhile fulfilling endeavor? Unless you're Josh Gershon or a handful of other people paid to follow the whims of high schoolers, it's always a waste of time. Sometimes fun, other times not so much. But always a wonderful waste of time.
Fantastic point, but to be fair we're following the whims of college grad transfers and not high schoolers this time around. Not like there's much of a difference though.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Longhorned wrote:Tollefsen is certainly interested, I can see why Miller wants him, and I think Arizona will offer him. And he very well could be on board. But I'm unclear what the indication is that he'd come. SDSU and UCLA remain real possibilities, and yes, he can return to SF and thrive there like he has.

If we compare to Lee, I think Lee rightly wants to showcase himself at the 2, which is his usual (I won't say "natural") position. I think Miller honestly and rightly tried to sell him on the arguably interchangeable 3. Yet even there, Ray Smith is Micky D-level talent minus a year for rehab. That presents possible contingencies.

Tollefsen is Arizona's back-up choice of grad transfers (that is a possible factor), for the opportunity to come play back-up minutes at the 4 in the following situation: 1) Anderson is probably Arizona's best player next year; 2) Miller is developing Ristic with the intention of playing him together at Tarc regularly (no joke); 3) Arizona is loaded on guards who can floor effective small ball with Smith at the 3.

It would be one thing if Arizona looked like an obvious contender next year, where even a small role is potentially attractive. But to me it isn't clear what he's getting in return for committing his final year to Arizona.
If SDSU and UCLA are the other possibilities then he'd face the very same issues that he'd face at Arizona in regards to fighting for playing time and not playing for a national title team. If these are really issues for him then my guess is he stays at San Francisco. Maybe he just wants to win games or play at a big basketball school for a year though.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Longhorned wrote:Tollefsen is certainly interested, I can see why Miller wants him, and I think Arizona will offer him. And he very well could be on board. But I'm unclear what the indication is that he'd come. SDSU and UCLA remain real possibilities, and yes, he can return to SF and thrive there like he has.

If he doesn't want to compete for playing time with a shot at a natty, I don't want him anyway. The scenario is sort of self-filtering.

Remember, though, these kids were passed over by the major programs out of HS. This is their chance to show what they can do. I bet the kid's hungry, otherwise the dialog likely wouldn't have gotten this far.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Can Tollefsen play some 3? I think that's where he can force the issue. He's been playing against good competition and would probably have a leg up on Ray Smith (no pun intended) due to coming back from. That's where I'd like to see him start the season if he's able to play the 3. Can he?

PJC/Allen/Simon
Trier/York/Simon
Tollefsen/Smith (or Smith/Tollefsen)
Anderson/Tollefsen
Zeus/Ristic/Comanche
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

ChooChooCat wrote:

If SDSU and UCLA are the other possibilities then he'd face the very same issues that he'd face at Arizona in regards to fighting for playing time and not playing for a national title team. If these are really issues for him then my guess is he stays at San Francisco. Maybe he just wants to win games or play at a big basketball school for a year though.
That's a good point ChooChoo. There is a HUGE difference between playing in front of 4,000 people and 15,000 in a basketball crazed city. I'd imagine Tollefsen isn't thinking he needs to showcase his talents for NBA scouts and might instead be looking for the type of atmosphere and competition that TJ was so desperate to experience when he transferred from Dusquesenenesnsesne (no clue how to spell that).

If he went to UCLA he'd still play in front of 4,000 people so that shit is out. SDSU would make sense too but hopefully he sees that this is his best chance to experience some awesome post-season action and actually get past the Sweet Sixteen since we know SDSU can't do that.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Bosy Billups wrote:Can Tollefsen play some 3? I think that's where he can force the issue. He's been playing against good competition and would probably have a leg up on Ray Smith (no pun intended) due to coming back from. That's where I'd like to see him start the season if he's able to play the 3. Can he?

PJC/Allen/Simon
Trier/York/Simon
Anderson/Tollefsen
Zeus/Ristic/Comanche
I am confused on why Comanche cant play the stretch 4 for this team. He seems like BASH type of player.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

And god damn it would be nice if Craig Victor stayed. Now he is going to on the bench with a loaded LSU team with one of the best recruiting classes coming in.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

3goggles wrote:And god damn it would be nice if Craig Victor stayed. Now he is going to on the bench with a loaded LSU team with one of the best recruiting classes coming in.
Still, at Arizona, Leaf after Anderson would ensure that he'd never get more that spot minutes.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I thougth Craig Victor would have been good eventually...but I don't want a player that doesn't want to be here. Be it Victor, Rabb or Lee...

I've said it before, "A Player's Program" is not "Every Player's Program".
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
az91

Post by az91 »

3goggles wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:Can Tollefsen play some 3? I think that's where he can force the issue. He's been playing against good competition and would probably have a leg up on Ray Smith (no pun intended) due to coming back from. That's where I'd like to see him start the season if he's able to play the 3. Can he?

PJC/Allen/Simon
Trier/York/Simon
Anderson/Tollefsen
Zeus/Ristic/Comanche
I am confused on why Comanche cant play the stretch 4 for this team. He seems like BASH type of player.
Will Comanche play at all this year? I was under the impression that he is a project that ideally will redshirt.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I just want to say that I just learned something from Gershon on Scout premium that would blow your mind. I'm not at liberty to say, but check out the "Congrats" thread over there.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Stay tuned, Longhorned?

Some bizarre scenarios here having Tollefsen at the wing.

Even if he comes here, he could probably play it if he had to, but why would he have to when a three-guard lineup would provide superior play with Smith off the floor?

Allen, Pitts, Simon, Trier and even Anderson are all more viable options at the 3 on both ends than Tollefsen is. Not sure what issue he could ever force out there.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I think Tollefsen would play exclusively at the 4 next year.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

catgrad97 wrote:Stay tuned, Longhorned?

Even if he comes here, he could probably play it if he had to, but why would he have to when a three-guard lineup would provide superior play with Smith off the floor?

Allen, Pitts, Simon, Trier and even Anderson are all more viable options at the 3 on both ends than Tollefsen is. Not sure what issue he could ever force out there.
Nothing to stay tuned for. Just a clear demonstration of Miller's thoroughness, professionalism, and class. He's considered every possibility and made decisions that support and are in the best interests of recruits and, eventually, players. No wonder they leave the program thinking of him as family. I feel pretty comfortable that, in terms of what can be controlled, Miller has assembled the best possible roster to be had for next season. And he clearly has his eye set for a real powerhouse in 2016-17.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Longhorned wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:Stay tuned, Longhorned?

Nothing to stay tuned for. Just a clear demonstration of Miller's thoroughness, professionalism, and class. He's considered every possibility and made decisions that support and are in the best interests of recruits and, eventually, players. No wonder they leave the program thinking of him as family. I feel pretty comfortable that, in terms of what can be controlled, Miller has assembled the best possible roster to be had for next season. And he clearly has his eye set for a real powerhouse in 2016-17.
He has clearly anticipated losing four starters. Good to know.

I'll look forward to the new crop of Wildcats. Just gets frustrating because we embrace our greats so thoroughly--then we look up, and they're gone, and we realize it's just been a year, two years, or (rarely) three. Not even half a generation.

Even my wife grew to love Rondae in Vegas. That's the power of A Player's Program.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I think Tollefsen is a perfect fit for our team. When you watch him play you realize how quick he is at 6"9. There is no question he can play the 3. We would also be getting a stretch 4 that would open things up for Tarc and Anderson. He could easily end up being our best shooter on the team. In his 3 years at SF his 3pt % was 35%, 42%, and 38%. This year his FG% ranked #47 in the nation at 53.5%. Not to mention, he can dunk from the free throw line.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Dave wrote:I think Tollefsen is a perfect fit for our team. When you watch him play you realize how quick he is at 6"9. There is no question he can play the 3. We would also be getting a stretch 4 that would open things up for Tarc and Anderson. He could easily end up being our best shooter on the team. In his 3 years at SF his 3pt % was 35%, 42%, and 38%. This year his FG% ranked #47 in the nation at 53.5%. Not to mention, he can dunk from the free throw line.
Agree. His coach raves about his defense, too. He can guard 3s.
Right where I want to be.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

The more I read the more I like.
Mike Luke's burner account.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I have no idea if Tollefsen can guard a 3 for the same reasons Ashley couldn't defend a 3, but maybe he can. I know for sure Anderson can not play the 3 and Comanche can't play the 4. Remember you are what you can defend. Smaller more athletic wings can defend 4s way better than bigger less athletic natural 4 men can defend wings. I understand Tollefsen isn't a stiff athletically, but that doesn't mean he has the lateral ability to defend quicker smaller guys. I suppose we'll see.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

ChooChooCat wrote:I have no idea if Tollefsen can guard a 3 for the same reasons Ashley couldn't defend a 3, but maybe he can. I know for sure Anderson can not play the 3 and Comanche can't play the 4. Remember you are what you can defend. Smaller more athletic wings can defend 4s way better than bigger less athletic natural 4 men can defend wings. I understand Tollefsen isn't a stiff athletically, but that doesn't mean he has the lateral ability to defend quicker smaller guys. I suppose we'll see.
Why cant Chance play the 4? I am lost on this one.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

3goggles wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:I have no idea if Tollefsen can guard a 3 for the same reasons Ashley couldn't defend a 3, but maybe he can. I know for sure Anderson can not play the 3 and Comanche can't play the 4. Remember you are what you can defend. Smaller more athletic wings can defend 4s way better than bigger less athletic natural 4 men can defend wings. I understand Tollefsen isn't a stiff athletically, but that doesn't mean he has the lateral ability to defend quicker smaller guys. I suppose we'll see.
Why cant Chance play the 4? I am lost on this one.
Same reason most 4s can't defend 3s. Most college 4s are quicker than all college 5s. Comanche doesn't seem fleet of foot enough to defend one. Regardless if Arizona has Tollefsen, Anderson, Zeus, and Ristic there's not a single reason in this world a guy with his current physical limitations shouldn't be redshirted to address those issues. Heck even if Arizona doesn't land Tollefsen I'd put Ray Smith at the back up 4 and redshirt Comanche still.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Transferring to Arizona
-JB
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Welcome to Arizona Mark!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

ASUHATER! wrote:So we may strike out on sj, rabb, Lee and tollefsen. And now tarc may end up leaving too. Great.
You can come down off the ledge now.
-JB
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Yeah buddy come on down!for as bad as yesterday was today is pretty sweet
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Hell Yeah!

Welcome to the family Mark!

Danville represent.
salim'sheadband

Post by salim'sheadband »

To me, Tollefsen has the hallmarks of a really good offensive player. Granted his number came against WCC teams but he was his team's first option every night. 38% career three-point shooter, including last season. Made 42 last year which would have been one behind Stanley for second-most on the team. Also shot 60% from 2 and 48% on two-point jumpers. 60% EFG, 61% TSP.

Scored 18 and 21 against Gonzaga in his last two matchups against them last year. Also scored 22 at BYU.

Happy to have a solid backup PF. Welcome to the family Mark!
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

salim'sheadband wrote:To me, Tollefsen has the hallmarks of a really good offensive player. Granted his number came against WCC teams but he was his team's first option every night. 38% career three-point shooter, including last season. Made 42 last year which would have been one behind Stanley for second-most on the team. Also shot 60% from 2 and 48% on two-point jumpers. 60% EFG, 61% TSP.

Scored 18 and 21 against Gonzaga in his last two matchups against them last year. Also scored 22 at BYU.

He's not going to start at the 3? His body type seems more than capable. Smith is untested, too skinny and injured.
If Tollefsen doesn't start I imagine we will go with 3 guards.
az91

Post by az91 »

1stNGrant Frys wrote:
salim'sheadband wrote:To me, Tollefsen has the hallmarks of a really good offensive player. Granted his number came against WCC teams but he was his team's first option every night. 38% career three-point shooter, including last season. Made 42 last year which would have been one behind Stanley for second-most on the team. Also shot 60% from 2 and 48% on two-point jumpers. 60% EFG, 61% TSP.

He's not going to start at the 3? His body type seems more than capable. Smith is untested, too skinny and injured.
If Tollefsen doesn't start I imagine we will go with 3 guards.
I read in the Pascoe article that the coaches told Tollefsen that he may play some at the small forward position...
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I didn't think he'd agree, and surprised it happened so fast. Must have indeed just felt right to him.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Dope hackeysack. Welcome to the program