I think we're spoiled

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dcZONAfan

Re: I think we're spoiled

Post by dcZONAfan »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: I question whether any college sports fan really ever has a right to be grumpy with any coach. Most fans acquire 100% correctness via hindsight and think that they could somehow perform better than said coach.

I could coach Arizona better than Sean Miller, but I just prefer to work for a 40th of the salary in middle management instead of demonstrating my obvious superiority on the big stage...

Arizona basketball doesn't really owe me anything. I tend to think most fan bases overinflate their own importance.
Welllllllll Rick Barnes....

But I agree with everything else you say
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

When we are deeper next year than we were this year people will have a lot of toesucking to do.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

I'm calling you out, Newport.

Seriously, didn't you just call out the while f_cking fan base with your ridiculous post about what expectations we should have? Perspective. Get some.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

What perspective should I get?

I didn't post anything after our wisconsin loss because I was pissed off and realized nothing good would come of it. I in no way think Miller should be fired or even close to it. I think he has done a great job getting us back to a position we were under Lute.

I in no way though think we are spoiled. Being spoiled Fans would mean we are UCONN fans and calling for Ollie to be fired this year after making the NIT and losing to ASU. It would be Alabama fans saying Nick Saban should be fired now. I believe, as it appears some of you don't believe, that in college basketball the definition of success as a top 10 program is making final fours and winning national championships. I wish the NCAA would change things around to be importance on the regular season but the tournament is a golden goose and it is what it is.

I think we as fans have given Sean Miller everything he needs to be successful here. From new locker rooms, incredible fan support at home and away games, private planes etc. The next step is to make a final four and win a national championship. I bet Sean miller thinks about it every day. But to say we are spoiled as fans is such crap. Now if your definition of success in college basketball is different then mine then I can see where we disagree but I think my definition for what a top ten program would consider success is pretty universal. Actually if you read Tarc"s quotes on coming back to U of A he says exactly that.

Spoiled, Alabama football fans are spoiled, USC football fans are spoiled, patriot fans are spoiled, Man U fans have been spoiled, Arizona softball fans are spoiled, laker fans are spoiled, duke fans are spoiled but Arizona basketball fans...no. We have a passion that is unrivaled on the west coast for basketball but we have not made a final four in 14 years. In my opinion to be spoiled would mean we have won multiple championships and any slip up year we would be calling for the coaches head. We haven't won those championships but still support like we have.

That was my issue with the original post.

I really like Sean miller a lot and think he will get it done here but I know how great a place especially in today's college basketball landscape Arizona is to coach at. Our fan support through tough years and tough games is a major reason for that. We will draw 14,500 fans this year to our red and blue game, we can't draw more then 5,000 fans to our spring football game. How many programs nationally can get that many fans to a preseason intersquad scrimmage, most west coast teams couldn't draw that for the biggest game of the year.

Maybe I am a total jerk but for Arizona basketball I expect a lot because I know the highest level of success is possible. Feel totally different about Arizona football. I was not born on third base either
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Welp, I think my thesis has been proven.

As for my original post and your "issue" with it, you obviously failed to comprehend that I was talking about recruiting, the loss of Lee and Stan, and the talent level of the team next year and not anything about the results on the court. But I understand. Your anger seems to have made reading comprehension difficult.

It was actually a very simple post. But if you approach it with the "Arizona basketball owes me!" mentality I can see how it would be confusing.

Actually, just kidding, I can't. You made it something much bigger than it was because you're a spoiled, entitled "fan". Congrats buddy...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
gumby

Post by gumby »

"Sean Miller is spoiled" by having this fan base. What does that mean? What has he done to exhibit "spoiled"? Sure sounded like you were mad at him.
Right where I want to be.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

If Machina got high on PCP and got kicked in the balls 20 times and was told to come here and post, it would be 100x better than that slop Newport posted on the last page.

We are spoiled. Not many schools that get to three elite eights in five years and have fans that act like you did last page. Thats either the definition of spoiled, or you are a retard. Its one or the other.
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

When you pay not only for tickets but the right to purchase those tickets for 35 years, donate additional funds to the athletic department, purchase tons of licensed apparel, and put your heart on the table to be stabbed and bled out repeatedly, I think it's okay to feel like the coach owes you something. But it's important to be realistic. Miller is a really skilled coach in all facets of the college coaching game. Some things are out of your control. I feel like Miller has given everything he has, so consider his return on investment paid. The titles will come if he keeps going like he is.
GoCats13

Post by GoCats13 »

Newportcat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:We're not spoiled, Chi. It's been 14 years. Need I list the schools that have been to multiple FFs during that period?
Then, list the other Pac schools that have been to multiple Elite Eights in that period.
F*ck Elite Eights

Who seriously gives a F*ck about making Elite Eights. We made an Elite Eight in 2005, how does that year feel to you, we made one in 2011, that one felt great too right, what about the last past two years, after both of those years I felt amazing.

We are not spoiled. Sean Miller is spoiled for having this Fan Base which is by FAR the best in college basketball considering how rabid we are and considering how the team has not given us a final four in 14 years to justify our passion. Sean Miller is Fortunate to be coaching here and if EVER EVER forgets that, there is the door. We are not Lucky Sean Miller is our coach, Sean Miller is incredibly lucky to be the head coach at a place like Arizona and he better make a final four here soon because with the improvements to McKale he has ZERO ZERO excuses not to win multiple national championships here. We are lucky Rich Rod is our coach for our football team, we are not lucky Sean Miller is our coach. We will be lucky he is our coach AFTER he wins a national championship. We will be spoiled after we make multiple Final Fours again.

I did not feel "spoiled" walking out of Staples a couple weeks back...I actually walked past a homeless guy in a wheelchair doing heroin on my way to my buddies car and said to myself, man I wish i could trade spots with that guy
Go away. if a team that made the Elite 8 made you feel that shitty about yourself, you should probably reconsider your life, as it sounds pretty depressing to be you if you're that obsessed with sports. I must remind you Lute only had 4 Final Fours and one National Championship. In like 25 years. Miller has been here what, 6? Give him time and get off your high horse.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Newportcat wrote:What perspective should I get?

I didn't post anything after our wisconsin loss because I was pissed off and realized nothing good would come of it. I in no way think Miller should be fired or even close to it. I think he has done a great job getting us back to a position we were under Lute.

I in no way though think we are spoiled. Being spoiled Fans would mean we are UCONN fans and calling for Ollie to be fired this year after making the NIT and losing to ASU. It would be Alabama fans saying Nick Saban should be fired now. I believe, as it appears some of you don't believe, that in college basketball the definition of success as a top 10 program is making final fours and winning national championships. I wish the NCAA would change things around to be importance on the regular season but the tournament is a golden goose and it is what it is.

I think we as fans have given Sean Miller everything he needs to be successful here. From new locker rooms, incredible fan support at home and away games, private planes etc. The next step is to make a final four and win a national championship. I bet Sean miller thinks about it every day. But to say we are spoiled as fans is such crap. Now if your definition of success in college basketball is different then mine then I can see where we disagree but I think my definition for what a top ten program would consider success is pretty universal. Actually if you read Tarc"s quotes on coming back to U of A he says exactly that.

Spoiled, Alabama football fans are spoiled, USC football fans are spoiled, patriot fans are spoiled, Man U fans have been spoiled, Arizona softball fans are spoiled, laker fans are spoiled, duke fans are spoiled but Arizona basketball fans...no. We have a passion that is unrivaled on the west coast for basketball but we have not made a final four in 14 years. In my opinion to be spoiled would mean we have won multiple championships and any slip up year we would be calling for the coaches head. We haven't won those championships but still support like we have.

That was my issue with the original post.

I really like Sean miller a lot and think he will get it done here but I know how great a place especially in today's college basketball landscape Arizona is to coach at. Our fan support through tough years and tough games is a major reason for that. We will draw 14,500 fans this year to our red and blue game, we can't draw more then 5,000 fans to our spring football game. How many programs nationally can get that many fans to a preseason intersquad scrimmage, most west coast teams couldn't draw that for the biggest game of the year.

Maybe I am a total jerk but for Arizona basketball I expect a lot because I know the highest level of success is possible. Feel totally different about Arizona football. I was not born on third base either
I'm actually okay with this take, Newport. It reads a lot better -- A LOT! -- than your first one. I think it's likely that we can agree that the UA has a top basketball program (and thus we are spoiled because of it). We also have a top fan base, and Miller and Greg Byrne should also feel spoiled.

Regarding results, I agree with your point that results matter. But that said, I am perfectly happy with the progress the program has made under Miller. We have had a championship quality team the past two years. We got unlucky first with an injury last year, and then with Wisconsin's epic three point barrage this year. I discount Miller's first Elite Eight in Tucson, because I personally believed the team had over achieved to reach that far, so losing that game wasn't painful.

Are we due? Of course we are. It's been a long drought. But with the combination of the coach, the program, and the fans that we have, there is no doubt in my mind that we will be reaching the Final Four and winning championships in the not-distant future.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Newportcat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:We're not spoiled, Chi. It's been 14 years. Need I list the schools that have been to multiple FFs during that period?
Then, list the other Pac schools that have been to multiple Elite Eights in that period.
F*ck Elite Eights

Who seriously gives a F*ck about making Elite Eights. We made an Elite Eight in 2005, how does that year feel to you, we made one in 2011, that one felt great too right, what about the last past two years, after both of those years I felt amazing.

We are not spoiled. Sean Miller is spoiled for having this Fan Base which is by FAR the best in college basketball considering how rabid we are and considering how the team has not given us a final four in 14 years to justify our passion. Sean Miller is Fortunate to be coaching here and if EVER EVER forgets that, there is the door. We are not Lucky Sean Miller is our coach, Sean Miller is incredibly lucky to be the head coach at a place like Arizona and he better make a final four here soon because with the improvements to McKale he has ZERO ZERO excuses not to win multiple national championships here. We are lucky Rich Rod is our coach for our football team, we are not lucky Sean Miller is our coach. We will be lucky he is our coach AFTER he wins a national championship. We will be spoiled after we make multiple Final Fours again.

I did not feel "spoiled" walking out of Staples a couple weeks back...I actually walked past a homeless guy in a wheelchair doing heroin on my way to my buddies car and said to myself, man I wish i could trade spots with that guy
I want to apologize to this board for my previous posts like this one. I was dead wrong. We are spoiled being Arizona basketball fans as we could always be ASU basketball fans. It is interesting to see what a complete dick I used to be when it came to Arizona basketball. I still think Arizona football sucks and will never be good and until we started recruiting much better, nothing will change my opinion on that. Especially with a retread as our coach. But me posting that 100 times a day does no one any good.

But on Arizona basketball, I was wrong. Seeing what Sean Miller has gone through the past 18 months has given me such a different perspective. The guy has been through hell and back and is still out here grinding for us. Our program could be in such a worse spot with another coach leading us that is not the recruiter he is.

Having kids has also matured me a lot and losing a good friend to Cancer. This is a great board and am hopeful my second go around here I never come across this way again. We are spoiled in many ways.

Well if I come across as a total dick to Machina that is ok too.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Newportcat wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
F*ck Elite Eights

I want to apologize to this board for my previous posts like this one. I was dead wrong. We are spoiled being Arizona basketball fans as we could always be ASU basketball fans. It is interesting to see what a complete dick I used to be when it came to Arizona basketball. I still think Arizona football sucks and will never be good and until we started recruiting much better, nothing will change my opinion on that. Especially with a retread as our coach. But me posting that 100 times a day does no one any good.

But on Arizona basketball, I was wrong. Seeing what Sean Miller has gone through the past 18 months has given me such a different perspective. The guy has been through hell and back and is still out here grinding for us. Our program could be in such a worse spot with another coach leading us that is not the recruiter he is.

Having kids has also matured me a lot and losing a good friend to Cancer. This is a great board and am hopeful my second go around here I never come across this way again. We are spoiled in many ways.

Major props to you... and I am very sorry to hear of the loss of your friend.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
F*ck Elite Eights

Major props to you... and I am very sorry to hear of the loss of your friend.
Harvey! Wondered where you were
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Who the fuck started this dumbshit thread?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Chicat wrote:Who the fuck started this dumbshit thread?
Bingo. Newport bares his soul, Harvey surfaces to congratulate him. Everyone get in a circle and reach to the guy on your right. Total horseshit.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

MrMeow wrote:
Bingo. Newport bares his soul, Harvey surfaces to congratulate him. Everyone get in a circle and reach to the guy on your right. Total horseshit.
Leaving brilliant takes like your “Miller jumping off a sinking ship for Pitt” weren’t exactly hard to give up... and Newport & I have not exactly been kumbaya brothers. I check this site every so often, saw his post, and thought it was a cool thing for him to post.

You either do not understand the definition of irony and self-depreciation (your life would improve if you embraced the latter) or you were too fucking lazy to take 8 seconds and look at who Chi was referring to with respect to “who the fuck started this...”

But keep screaming into the abyss and pretending someone wants to listen...
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Harvey Specter wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
Leaving brilliant takes like your “Miller jumping off a sinking ship for Pitt” weren’t exactly hard to give up... and Newport & I have not exactly been kumbaya brothers. I check this site every so often, saw his post, and thought it was a cool thing for him to post.

You either do not understand the definition of irony and self-depreciation (your life would improve if you embraced the latter) or you were too fucking lazy to take 8 seconds and look at who Chi was referring to with respect to “who the fuck started this...”

But keep screaming into the abyss and pretending someone wants to listen...
You check this site every so often? You lurk like a motherfucker, and you know it. Too timid to post anymore because you were getting your ass kicked regularly.

Anyhow, so glad you listened. How's life in the abyss?