Stanley Johnson

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

1stNGrant Frys

Re: Stanley Johnson

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

Newportcat wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:Another one and done wanders off to the nba.

I wonder how much the fans will even remember his brief stint here, a decade from now
How many fans remember Jerryd Bayless

Stanley, so much talent, but you accomplished nothing and you will be remember for nothing. 5 years from now all fans will probably say is "Stanley Johnson, he played at Arizona right"

Did he even talk to Aaron Gordon about how much fun the NBA is. But he is getting paid and cant fault him for that

I thought it was pretty well established that Bayless would have been around if anyone but KO was the coach
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

1stNGrant Frys wrote:
Newportcat wrote:

I wonder how much the fans will even remember his brief stint here, a decade from now

Stanley, so much talent, but you accomplished nothing and you will be remember for nothing. 5 years from now all fans will probably say is "Stanley Johnson, he played at Arizona right"

Did he even talk to Aaron Gordon about how much fun the NBA is. But he is getting paid and cant fault him for that

I thought it was pretty well established that Bayless would have been around if anyone but KO was the coach
That's my recollection too. Jerryd had every intention of coming back for Lute. Later Jerryd did come back and help with recruiting.

True Wildcat.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

People are acting like they didn't know Stanley was 1 and done like 4 years ago. He always was, but fell in love with what happened this year.

Be pissed at the system, not at the player.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
gumby

Post by gumby »

Newportcat wrote:

Yes, he spoke to Gordon.

Unless your special strain of self-pity is contagious, I don't believe you can speak for other fans.
Right where I want to be.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I just want to say that I do remember Bayless.

And I'll remember Stanley.

I can't wait for him to do well in the NBA and then people to post about how well he is representing "Wildcat Nation" or some shit like that.

Oh and NewportCat. Well done dude.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Watched Bayless last night in the playoffs. And I was definitely rooting for him to play well.

Same way I'll be rooting for Stanley at the next level. Others might, but I don't forget Wildcats.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

'Going to miss Saturday game days the most. Pregame at Westin La Paloma."

What did they do there? Team meal?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Jefe wrote:'Going to miss Saturday game days the most. Pregame at Westin La Paloma."

What did they do there? Team meal?
Walk through in the ballroom and film session I believe.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Jamie (Gold Point, NC)

If Stanley Johnson, Mario Hezonja, and Kelly Oubre are all on the board when the Hornets pick, who is the best fit and who do you think they take? Is there even much chance of those three guys still being there if the Hornets pick at 9?

Chad Ford (1:42 PM)

They do need a shooter. I doubt Hezonja is still on the board at 9. Someone will take him before then I think. So it's Oubre, Johnson or perhaps someone like Devin Booker. I'd take Oubre. I think we won't better in Year One (and maybe that's all the Hornets care about right now) but in Year 3 or 4? I think it will be Oubre.

5 minutes later...

Alpheius (GD) [via mobile]

Assuming the Heat keep their pick,who do you see them taking.. And yes I knw pat is probaly gonna trad the pick anyway

Chad Ford (1:48 PM)

I have them grabbing Stanley Johnson in my latest Mock and I think that would actually be the perfect fit for both him and the team. He's one of the most NBA ready players in the draft.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

That actually isn't one of the dumber things Ford has said. The Heat have an aging core in Wade, Bosh and Deng and need to win right now. The Hornets have a much younger core and can draft to develop.

Not that I would be caught dead drafting Oubre over Stanley. There's a 15% chance it works out great, a 50% chance it goes down in flames and a 35% chance you screwed up, just not as spectacularly.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Jefe wrote: Alpheius (GD) [via mobile]

Assuming the Heat keep their pick,who do you see them taking.. And yes I knw pat is probaly gonna trad the pick anyway

I have them grabbing Stanley Johnson in my latest Mock and I think that would actually be the perfect fit for both him and the team. He's one of the most NBA ready players in the draft.
Ive been pushing this for weeks. Never got an answer from my contact with the Heat. Been saying thats the perfect fit for both parties.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

TucsonClip wrote:

Ive been pushing this for weeks. Never got an answer from my contact with the Heat. Been saying thats the perfect fit for both parties.
Not saying he will be as good as Wade, but can't you just see SJ stepping up after Wade retires?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Hobbes wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:

Not saying he will be as good as Wade, but can't you just see SJ stepping up after Wade retires?
It would be a good situation for him. He could start off sharing time, because Wade needs a reduced workload right now. As Wade ages, Stanley takes over. Also, it is obviously a solid organization, and that matters for a player.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Hobbes wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:

Doubt he'll ever be able to replace Wade, but Miami is an attractive destination for SJ for many reasons. They are ready to win now, have the floor spacing and a good PG, his role will allow him to develop while seeing 25 minutes per game, great system fit as well. Thats before all the outside benefits.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

http://tucson.com/sports/basketball/col ... d3d92.html
Johnson and Ashley, who both signed with agent Bill Duffy, are working out in Santa Barbara, California, while Hollis-Jefferson is in New York. Johnson and Ashley are working out at the P3 facility, where former UA forward Aaron Gordon also works out (Gordon signed with Duffy associate Calvin Andrews last spring).
Combine TV Schedule:

May 12 NBATV 10-Noon
May 14 ESPN2 Noon-4
May 15 ESPN2 Noon-4
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Chad Ford's "What Should Happen" draft based on team needs taken into account; however, value can and often will supersede need. If there's clearly a best player available on the board, he did not pass on him just to fill a need.
Atlanta Hawks

Needs: SF, C

Round 1 (15) Stanley Johnson, G/F, Fr., Arizona
Round 2 (50) Alan Williams, PF, Sr., UC-Santa Barbara
Round 2 (59) Olivier Hanlan, G, Jr., Boston College

Analysis: The Hawks benefit from the Nets' decision to hand over the farm in exchange for Joe Johnson and of all the actual assets they received (their biggest by far was cap flexibility) this might be the one they cash in on. If Johnson is on the board (or Sam Dekker) they've got a shot to upgrade at the 3 with an 18-year-old. Very few teams with the best record in their conference would ever have such an opportunity. And while I'm not sold that Johnson is a star, I do think he's going to be in the league a long time and would be perfect on a team that's competing for a championship. Williams reminds me a bit of a young Paul Millsap. Teams wrote off Millsap for four years because he was undersized and lacked conditioning, but ignored the fact that he somehow found a way to outrebound everyone in the country. Williams has averaged 10.7. 11.5 and 11.8 RPG the past three seasons, all in about 30 minutes per game. And his shot-blocking and steal numbers point to the fact that while he's not very tall, his crazy long arms (he has a 7-2 wingspan) make up for much of it. As for Hanlan, he's another intriguing underclassman who, if he can make the transition to point guard, could end up being a great value pick for the Hawks.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft201 ... -nba-draft
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Combine Anthropometric Draft Stats

Stanley Johnson SF

Body Fat 7.50%
Weight 241.8
Hand Length 9.00
Hand Width 9.00
Without shoes 6' 5''
With shoes 6' 6.5"
Standing Reach 8' 6''
Wingspan 6' 11.5''
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Nice interview. SJ's really working on improving his game.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/05/18/nba-dr ... ey-johnson
Can Stanley Johnson answer enough questions?

For Stanley Johnson, the Arizona freshman who didn’t declare for the draft until three days before the early entry deadline, the decision to leave school was particularly difficult.

“Coach [Sean] Miller, I feel like he created a monster,” Johnson said. “If I went back, I felt I would have had the season I wanted to have right away. The question you have to answer is ‘Are you ready for the league? When I answered that question yes, I knew it was time. You’re either 10 toes in or 10 toes out. I was 10 toes out, so I left.”

Johnson possesses an NBA body. He measured in at 6’6”, 241 pounds at the combine, with a 7.5% body fat. “I can carry 255,” Johnson said. “I’m a big boned dude. My parents are from the south.”

His other skills are a little murky. Johnson made 37.1% of his three’s last season, but he is not considered an especially good shooter. He made 44.1% of his shots last season, but scouts don’t love his ball handling and cite many scoring opportunities at Arizona where Johnson just overpowered people.

Still, Johnson believes he will surprise people. He cited his rapidly improved midrange game. He pointed to his versatility. He declared that few other players approached the game with his relentlessness.

“I can move all over the court,” Johnson said. “I can start a game at three, two or four. I can be the primary ballhandler in any pick-and-roll or any two-man situation. And on defense I’m going to play hard. I’m going to play smart and I’m a nasty competitor. I don’t think there’s many guys out there who want to compete as hard as I do.”
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/5/19/8 ... ttery-2015
CHICAGO -- The NBA's shift from the rigid positional structure that defined the league in the '80s and '90s to a more fluid, wide-open game didn't happen overnight. Rule changes that abolished hand-checking and deterred overly physical play had something to do with it. An influx of big men who grew up wanting to be guards played a role, too.

In pro sports, these changes tend to happen gradually. You can look at the way LeBron James was used in Miami, going from a player who spent 74 percent of his minutes at small forward his first year to one who played power forward 82 percent of the time his last two seasons. This year, the Warriors didn't become the best team in basketball until they benched traditional power forward David Lee in favor of the 6'7 Draymond Green.

One thing is for sure: in 2015, no one is arguing about the value of versatile athletes who can defend multiple positions on one end, and shoot, pass and dribble at the other. That's just one reason why Arizona's Stanley Johnson seems to be coming along at the perfect time.

The term most often used to describe Johnson is "man child." He doesn't turn 19 years old until later this month, but he's had an NBA-ready body since he was in high school. At 6'7, 242 pounds, Johnson isn't just strong for a teenager, he's strong for an adult. As he met with the media at the NBA Draft Combine in Chicago, it was clear he's just now starting to learn what he might one day grow into.

"The first time I started lifting was in college," Johnson said. "I don't know what my body is capable of. I just know that it's big and strong."

We should back up for a second: Johnson played as a freshman for Arizona last season as a nominal shooting guard. With the exception of Joe Johnson, you won't find another 240-pound shooting guard in the NBA. Stanley Johnson was doing it at 18 years old.

While Johnson is accustomed to playing the two, his versatility is what makes him a lottery pick when the NBA Draft takes place on June 25. The team that selects Johnson will be able to move him from shooting guard to power forward depending on the matchups. He's exactly the kind of multipurpose wing that is in demand at the moment.

"I feel I can be most dominant at the two, but I'm comfortable at the three and the four, too," Johnson said at the combine. "The way the league is going, you got 6'2 players playing the two, 6'6 players playing the four. It's about who you can guard and I feel like I can guard all four positions."

It's no coincidence that the Warriors and Bucks finished first and second in defensive efficiency this season with rosters full of quick, long-armed wings. Johnson, with a 6'11 wingspan, feels like he can be the type of player who fits perfectly in similar schemes.

Of course, having quick feet and long arms doesn't automatically make a player a great defender. It takes a certain mindset to be an elite defender, and Johnson believes he developed it at Arizona. The Wildcats had the No. 3 defense in the country this past season, per KenPom.com, in no small part because Johnson and teammate Rondae Hollis-Jefferson stifled opponents on the wings.

"We played a hell of a lot of defense," Johnson said about his time at Arizona. "Defense is not only about scheme, but it's about how much you want to play defense. I think me and Rondae are the two best defensive players in the class this year. We want to do it, we know how to do it and we're nasty with it."

Johnson has been bred for this since he started playing the game. When he entered high school at Mater Dei in Southern California, Johnson primarily played center and power forward. By the time he was a junior rising up the rankings to become a top-30 prospect, he was fully entrenched on the wing. As a senior, he was a top-five national recruit playing point guard full time.

The common denominator between four years of high school playing all over the court? Mater Dei won the state championship every year.

Johnson came to Arizona with sky-high expectations as he replaced Aaron Gordon in the starting lineup. Whether he met them is a matter of perspective. There were times when Johnson looked unstoppable, like when he went off for 18 points and nine rebounds against Utah, or the time he dominated Caris LeVert and Michigan by finishing with 17 points on 8-of-10 shooting. Among draft-eligible freshmen, only Jahlil Okafor and D'Angelo Russell averaged more than Johnson's 13.8 points per game.

Still, it's difficult to forget the disappointing way in which Johnson's season ended. He was in foul trouble early in Arizona's Elite Eight loss to Wisconsin and finished with only six points on 2-of-4 shooting while Badgers junior wing Sam Dekker thrived. In his last three NCAA Tournament games, Johnson averaged just 7.3 points on 27 percent shooting from the field. In the same span, he had six turnovers and just two assists.

Johnson knows he's far from a finished product. He spent his freshman year working on a floater and pull-up jumper to better his mid-range game. It was a work in progress, as he made only 40 percent of shots inside the paint in half-court situations, according to Draft Express.

Johnson showed better improvement in other areas, though. He hit 37 percent of the 3.1 three-pointers he attempted per game and was excellent on pull-up jumpers off the dribble. The fact that he can play either role in the pick-and-roll and be a threat offensively has to excite teams as well.

For now, Johnson is a freight train in transition, a capable catch-and-shoot player with a quick release and potential monster defensively. Best of all, he plays hard for every minute he's on the floor and has a motor that won't quit. When you consider his age and the physical tools he's working with, Johnson's potential leaves little debate that he's a top-10 pick.

When one reporter asked why a team should draft him, Johnson calmly responded, "Because I'm the best player in the draft."

That might seem like wishful thinking at the moment, but visit back in a few years. If Stanley Johnson's game can catch up with his body, it might not seem outlandish for long.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Looking good.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

He should be a starting 2 in the league for many years.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Nuggets(7th pick) workout. Yikes

psiclist23

Post by psiclist23 »

Dam, was Miller holding him back, or what? Where was that offense when we needed it? He's killin it in summer league.

http://bballfanalytics.com/2015/07/12/s ... ue-update/
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Stanley has shown time and time again that he flourishes when he is the star of the team. His off-season workouts did wonders for him, listen to that interview I posted a few up from this. Dennis Scott still think he needs to change his shot mechanics as its way too low and close to his face plus its flat. Scott kept talking about the shooters roll when the ball arcs higher. I think one of the commentators said Rookie of the Year and possible All Star :o

There was an interview after his first game and he said that coaches and former players were showing him all the things he can get away with in the NBA. They told him he needs to bang into guys and hold guys through screens because they rarely call that foul in, unlike at AZ. He was built for the NBA.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

psiclist23 wrote:Dam, was Miller holding him back, or what? Where was that offense when we needed it? He's killin it in summer league.

http://bballfanalytics.com/2015/07/12/s ... ue-update/
First, the game is just different. In the NBA game, the floor is more spread and a player can showcase his individual skill. Stanley benefits from a spread floor, no zones and handchecking outlawed.

Second, what's the famous quote about Dean Smith, that "he was the only person who could hold Michael Jordan to under 20 points." A balanced motion offense has that effect, especially in the college game. That doesn't mean it is bad for the team or player.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

Chicat wrote:
2 phones. . . what would OC say?
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

Stanley is currently considered the best rookie on NBA.com:

http://www.nba.com/2015/news/features/s ... index.html

When I check last, he was 33/1 to win ROY in the vegas odds. If he is still that low, that is a helluva of a good bet to take!
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

17 to 1 is what Im seeing now
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

Jefe wrote:17 to 1 is what Im seeing now

Still, he has opportunity on a weak team, game, and a mans body. Those are great odds for a bettor.
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
gumby

Post by gumby »

Just saw this on Twitter. Damn. Didn't get to see him in the League. Thoughts are with Stan tonight.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

gumby wrote:Just saw this on Twitter. Damn. Didn't get to see him in the League. Thoughts are with Stan tonight.
Agree. Just terrible.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

Prayers out to SJ.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

That's horrible. Was this a sudden unexpected thing or was she ill?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Alieberman wrote:That's horrible. Was this a sudden unexpected thing or was she ill?
Stage 4 cancer all freshman season. Had months to live prognosis for latter half the season.

And Karen did see her son in the NBA, albeit summer league, where he was, without doubt, the best looking rookie, and arguably best overall player for any team.

Had just one bad game. He dominated for her to give her a glimpse of his stardom to come.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

RIP Karen.

Thoughts are with you Big Guy! Peace.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Losing a parent so early is a tragedy. I went through the same at exactly the age Stanley is experiencing this.

I dropped to 6 hours that semester, was a mess, and ended up GRO'ing 3 of the tiny 6 hours I did take. I had strong friend and family support, and internalized it around them...some people who were periphery acquaintances could never tell something was wrong...but it completely destroyed my give-a-s**t factor.

Beyond the obvious sympathy I feel for Stanley and his family, I am just floored that he was able to hold it together so well all season. My dad died suddenly of a heart attack. He was there, then he wasn't, and I went from 0 to 100 on the grief scale.

Stanley had to balance an insane amount of external pressure and expectation from the fanbase and national pundits and be a loving son and family member preparing for the loss of a parent he was clearly very close to. He jacked up a layup that could have won the game vs UNLV. The criticism was heavy on him...why did he try to finger roll from feet away, why didn't he finish hard, etc? He got fancy with the ball on another game winning opportunity and got ripped (on a behind the back dribble, I believe). Same thing.

And now you think...was that a bad day for his mom? Did they learn something new in her prognosis? Had he just gotten off the phone with her and she wasn't as strong that day? Or whatever...was the cumulative pressure of being the face of a major college team, a "happy guy" at that, while ostensibly auditioning for his future career, something that just got to him that day? Or was it just a bad game?

Who knows? And it is something we should all probably consider when criticizing the performance of these kids. We don't have a clue what is going on in their life that day.

May she RIP and may Stanley properly grieve and continue his successful path, one that he has earned through more than just talent, but also through mental toughness and effort. And may his family find some joy in his successes as they deal with the loss of a loved one...
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

UAEebs86 wrote:

Wow, so sorry hearing this news. All the best to SJ and his family.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Just feel for the family. Lost my Mom my Sr year of high school to cancer. Just sucks
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

How sad.

Never saw him play a true NBA game, but did not pass before she could see that she raised an exceptional young man who is in place to be set for the rest of his life. Cannot ask for much more as a parent.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Damn...
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

So she had stage 4 cancer the entire time he was here? That really changes the way I look at him. He fact that he stayed strong, played as well as he did and had so much trouble deciding on whether to leave shows his character - character that was instilled by his mother in large part. The fact the they didn't make it a public distraction shows his character even more. And the fact that she held on just long enough to see him fulfill his dreams.... It's beautiful and devastating at the same time.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Beautifully said, ss.

Stanley Johnson. Way up there in our Cat memories.
gumby

Post by gumby »

All of these guys have things going on we don't know about. That's why it's dumb to take a game personally, or to read too much into a quote or two. We (and I'm guilty, too) tend to expound too much on the snippets we learn, forgetting that it's just a sliver of the whole picture.