TJ McConnell's 'MAGIC' Numbers

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

3goggles

Re: TJ McConnell's 'MAGIC' Numbers

Post by 3goggles »

AZCatGirl wrote:Unbeleivable how TJ got screwed out of every single award. I can't believe he'll never be in the ring of honor.
I feel bad for him because he bleeds red and blue! It means more to him then just about anybody.Then To lose them to kids we fucking dominated is beyond me!
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

so was the cousy officially the last chance at a player of the year award? I can never remember when the last award comes out.

feel bad for TJ
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I'd like to create an award for TJ...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

These awards are meaningless if they are going to be awarded to people who don't play the correct position. How does D Wright win an award created for point guards?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Will TJ be participating in the combines?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

http://tucson.com/sports/basketball/col ... d3d92.html
T.J. McConnell may get that shot at the NBA that Arizona Wildcats coach Sean Miller predicted after all.

The departing UA point guard is one of 55 players who were told they were under consideration for an invitation to next week’s NBA combine, the league’s major showcase before its June 25 draft. Fellow former UA teammates Stanley Johnson, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson and Brandon Ashley are expected to be invited.

“We’re cautiously optimistic,” said McConnell’s agent, Chris Emens.

According to DraftExpress’ Jonathan Givony, about 30 players have been already invited to the combine. Since many top prospects such as Johnson are not expected to play in the combine’s five-on-five drills, the remaining 55 have been told they must agree to them if they accept an invitation.

Roughly 75 total players could be invited, suggesting that a combine invitation is critical to becoming drafted, especially since Givony said there are probably also 15 top foreign prospects who won’t be at the combine.

Miller said last season that McConnell “was an NBA player,” although he has received far less attention as a pro prospect than his other four fellow starters last season.

Then McConnell put together a season that was arguably one of the Pac-12’s third-best, along with those of Oregon’s Joseph Young (the league’s MVP) and Utah’s Delon Wright. Doing so may have caught scouts’ eyes.

“I think he’s got a chance to get drafted,” Givony said. “I think he’s really good. He was the most important player on that team, and they were one of the best teams.”

McConnell’s pass-first mentality could also help him earn an invite to the combine, because he won’t be taking shots from other prospects.

“One of the things for T.J. going to Chicago is you’ll have a guy there who is allowing you to see the other players the way they’re supposed to be seen,” Emens said.

Predraft prep

While McConnell has based himself mostly in Phoenix while finishing up an accounting class, according to Emens, his former teammates have spread to both coasts while preparing for the predraft workouts.

Johnson and Ashley, who both signed with agent Bill Duffy, are working out in Santa Barbara, California, while Hollis-Jefferson is in New York. Johnson and Ashley are working out at the P3 facility, where former UA forward Aaron Gordon also works out (Gordon signed with Duffy associate Calvin Andrews last spring).

Hollis-Jefferson’s agent, Toronto-based Mike George of Excel Sports Management, said Hollis-Jefferson has been emphasizing shooting and ballhandling, having already proved himself as an NBA-level defender.

“Having to shoot a little better will help, but teams know what he is,” George said. “Teams look at him like he’s got an NBA skill set. He can defend on the NBA level right now.”

Hollis-Jefferson is widely projected to be picked in the 15-25 range, though George said his upper limit could be as high as 8-11.

“He’s not far behind those other guys,” George said. “It just depends on what a team needs. He had a role at Arizona, and now he has a chance to show what kind of offense he has as well.”
Combine TV Schedule:

May 12 NBATV 10-Noon
May 14 ESPN2 Noon-4
May 15 ESPN2 Noon-4
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

“I think he’s got a chance to get drafted,” Givony said. “I think he’s really good. He was the most important player on that team, and they were one of the best teams.”

Givony must have been listening to Bill Walton.

I expected TJ to go to Portsmouth (Seniors only) so this is actually much better than expected.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/a ... 0df56.html
The NBA's official combine participant list was released today, and former Arizona guard T.J. McConnell isn't on it.

As expected, however, Stanley Johnson, Brandon Ashley and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson are listed among the 62 participants. Since their are 60 draft spots -- and roughly 15 potential foreign picks not participating -- players not invited face an uphill battle to get drafted.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Why even tell him he was "under consideration"?

That has to be hugely disappointing.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Don't players get added later as some drop out?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

I hope so. The big guy objectively deserves it.

"The departing UA point guard is one of 55 players who were told they were under consideration for an invitation to next week’s NBA combine,....."

Let's see. Fifty five players were under consideration for a combine invite. But sixty two players were invited.

Therefore a net seven players who were probably not under consideration at the time of the original communication came newly under consideration within a few days, displacing some of the players who were under consideration a few days before. Interesting volatility.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Nice! Show em what you can do TJ!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

Is there anywhere to watch the combine online today?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

DraftExpress with a new scouting report on TJ: http://www.draftexpress.com/article/TJ- ... ign=buffer
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

The combine probably isn't TJ's friend. His physical measurables are never going to leap off the page. If he gets a shot in the NBA, it's with a team that values toughness, decision making and defense more than upside.

Frankly, going undrafted would be best for him because then he gets to select a team that would value what he brings to the table. If he winds up with a team that has a philosophy of taking shots on high ceiling guys (76ers) he'll take a fast track to Europe. Wind up with a team that values solid team guys, he has a real shot.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

He really needs to work on his shot if he wants to stick on an NBA roster.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

That Draft Express write up leaves me much more optimistic about TJ's chances of actually making an NBA team. Teams need back-up PGs. And I realize it may be selling him a little short to call him a "back-up," but I just have too much respect for guys like Westbrook, Paul, Rose, Parker, etc. Not sure TJ can be an NBA starter. But he doesn't need to be. If he played 5 to 7 years as an NBA reserve, I'm sure he'd be thrilled.
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

You go TJ! Is there any chance some PG needy team takes a flyer on him in the laaaaaaate second round?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Hobbes wrote:You go TJ! Is there any chance some PG needy team takes a flyer on him in the laaaaaaate second round?
I highly doubt it, but teams will get a great look at whether they want to bring him in as a FA.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Hobbes wrote:You go TJ! Is there any chance some PG needy team takes a flyer on him in the laaaaaaate second round?
If I was an NBA team thinking about TJ, I'm thinking about him being an 11th or 12th man. You send the raw, high ceiling guys to the D league to get PT and keep the UDFA with a lower ceiling but high motor and character on the active roster.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Good luck T J.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Combine Anthropometric Draft Stats

TJ McConnell

Body Fat 7.30%
Weight 187.8
Hand Length 7.50
Hand Width 7.00
Without shoes 6' 0.5''
With shoes 6' 2"
Standing Reach 8' 0.5''
Wingspan 6'2''
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Can't miss those freebies TJ!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Pulling a DNP-CD in a draft combine game isn't a good sign for Michael Qualls.

5 assists and 0 TO's in 11 minutes is a TJ game, though.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

TJ got a chance to show off today that he is really damn good in transition. The NBA is a league where you're running a lot more than in college and TJ excels in that kind of game. Steve Nash became a deadly scorer in his own right but he made his living because he could run the offense on the fly. TJ isn't a first rounder but he's a guy who could steadily climb on a roster if he gets a chance.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

Coop Cat wrote:
Good stuff TJ. How amazing would it be to have 4 Arizona Wildcats drafted this year!?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Arizona basketball: 'Weird' meeting for Ashley, McConnell

CHICAGO – Before T.J. McConnell and “Team 4” took on “Team 1” in the final game of the NBA combine Friday, the former UA point guard pulled aside one of Team 4’s forwards.

His name: Brandon Ashley.

“I walked out there and said, `Man, this is weird,’ “ McConnell said. “I’m so used to starting with you on my team.”

The feeling was mutual. And afterward, Ashley even nearly tackled his former teammate with a hug as they walked off the court at the Quest Multisport Complex.

“T.J.’s definitely one of my favorite guys to play with,” Ashley said. “It was definitely different to see him on the other end of the court.”

Both UA players had an significant impact on the game. McConnell had six points, five rebounds and six assists to three turnovers, while Ashley shot 5 for 12 from the field to total 14 points and seven rebounds.

Ashley’s Team 1 won the game, 80-74.

“Brandon played his butt off and he’s a reason they won,” McConnell said.

Was told by an NBA scout that McConnell wasn’t even invited to the seniors-only (and consequently much less prestigious) Portsmouth Invitational last month, and that UA coach Sean Miller had everything to do with McConnell landing his late invitation to this week's combine.

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/a ... 03316.html
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UA coach Sean Miller had everything to do with McConnell landing his late invitation to this week's combine

I heart CSM.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

A Players Program
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Chicat wrote:A Players Program
That's nice, but wouldn't it be even nicer if it could be the "Phoenix Area Alumni's program" too?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

McConnell was one of the best players on the floor on Friday as he impacted the game on both ends of the floor with his ball pressure, defensive toughness, playmaking ability, and vocal nature. McConnell set the tone on the defensive end, where he picked up 94 feet for the second consecutive game, hounding opposing guards and making them work just to initiate the offense. McConnell finished the game with five steals and forced a handful of turnovers with his relentless ball pressure.

The 23-year-old Arizona point guard also made plays as an off ball defender, showing excellent instincts and anticipation in the passing lanes while also regularly stunting at shooters to force them to second guess their open look and put the ball on the floor as the defense recovered.

While McConnell set the tone on the defensive end, he also ran the show as the floor general on offense. McConnell moved the ball ahead in transition with regularity, broke down his man off the dribble to find shooters and bigs underneath, hit the pop man with pocket passes out of the pick and roll, and hit the weakside shooter in the hands consistently, playing with excellent pace and timing out of ball screens. McConnell also knocked down a 15-foot pull up, finished in transition after an on ball steal, and got all the way to the rim in the half court and converted an uncontested finger roll.

McConnell did miss a spot up three and a pull up jumper and fail to finish a speed layup at the rim against length, but he played a complete game on both ends of the floor and certainly helped himself in both 5 on 5 sessions. McConnell may not hear his name called during the 2015 NBA Draft, but he'll certainly get his fair share of summer league and vet camp invites, giving him a chance to play his way onto an NBA roster as a third point guard.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/#ixzz3aVwRbDDw
http://www.draftexpress.com
More: http://www.draftexpress.com/article/TJ- ... port-4956/
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Finally got to watch TJs Friday game against Brandon's team. First play of the game TJ gets the ball stolen from him on a lazy crossover and he flips a switch. The next 2 minutes he racked up 3 assists, a steal and played typical TJ defense on De Paulo. Took him right out of his game. Had guys finished, TJ would have had 12+ assists. He played the pick and rolls perfectly and found open guys on the wing numerous times. Greenberg and some of the other commentators kept talking about him being a 3rd point guard who will play early in the season. I don't see how he doesn't get drafted. I bet he goes 45-55 somewhere

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Interview: http://www.nba.com/lakers/video/150526L ... sMcConnell
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

NO way he doesnt get drafted. Still think he goes in the late 40s
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Merkin wrote:

I wonder, did the guy he tied with get drafted? Would love to see him get drafted
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I was at an event last night where Coach Miller spoke. He finished his talk by strongly assuring that not only will TJ play in the league.... But he will have a long career in the NBA. He practically guaranteed it

I was shocked by how certain he was and it didn't seem like just a line to please the audience
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

TJ with a great night 10 pts, 5 ribs 3 asst 1 bulk but 5 TO
mofo

Post by mofo »

3goggles wrote:TJ with a great night 10 pts, 5 ribs 3 asst 1 bulk but 5 TO
Where's he currently playing?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

3goggles wrote:TJ with a great night 10 pts, 5 ribs 3 asst 1 bulk but 5 TO
He made a few poor decisions, but a few of his TOs were great passes that were simply dropped (I'm sure he's having Tarc flashbacks). He has looked really good, I just wish he would be a little more aggressive looking for the foul line jumper as he has been money pretty much every time he takes that shot. Finally hit a three yesterday too!
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

He will only get better as he gets around better teammates. I think he will make the 76ers, but I really would like to see him with a better team.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

They interviewed San Hinkie(76ers GM/President) during the last game and he loves TJ and said he deserved to P12 Player of the Year. Said TJ is extremely underrated and he will get his time for sure. He said they have to teach guards to keep their dribble alive and find options and went on to say that TJ already does all that. Found the interview, talks about TJ at 5:40:

Jahlil and TJ talk not stop on the floor, they play very well together. Found this yesterday:

Check out this Grant dunk from yesterday:

http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2015/07/0 ... 6ers-need/
In his two Utah summer league games so far, McConnell has shown he is just the kind of player the Sixers have been looking for since trading away former NBA Rookie of the Year Michael Carter-Williams. In fact, McConnell might be a better ball handler and shooter than MCW, and probably understands the position of point guard better. He does not hog the ball and is quick to find the Sixer big men in transition. The Sixers want to run the floor with 7-footers Okafor, Nerlens Noel and Joel Embiid and that’s precisely the style of play McConnell was used to at Arizona.

In his first game, on Monday night, McConnell had six points, seven rebounds, four assists, a pair of steals and a block in 30 minutes. He played well on defense and did not look overmatched.

On a Sixers’ team whose best point guard a year ago was a journeyman named Ish Smith, McConnell should have no trouble forcing his way into being an effective point guard and maybe even a starter. If that happens, Hinkie will be ahead of the game once again.
I cant wait to see TJ play with guys that can knock down shots. He could avg 10ast per game off the bench
Last edited by Jefe on Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Jefe wrote:They interviewed San Hinkie(76ers GM/President) during the last game and he loves TJ and the he deserved to P12 Player of the Year. Said TJ is extremely underrated and he will get his time for sure. He said they have to teach guards to keep their dribble alive and find options and went on to say that TJ already does all that. Found the interview, talks about TJ at 5:40:

Jahlil and TJ talk not stop on the floor, they play very well together. Found this yesterday:

Check out this Grant dunk from yesterday:

http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2015/07/0 ... 6ers-need/
In his two Utah summer league games so far, McConnell has shown he is just the kind of player the Sixers have been looking for since trading away former NBA Rookie of the Year Michael Carter-Williams. In fact, McConnell might be a better ball handler and shooter than MCW, and probably understands the position of point guard better. He does not hog the ball and is quick to find the Sixer big men in transition. The Sixers want to run the floor with 7-footers Okafor, Nerlens Noel and Joel Embiid and that’s precisely the style of play McConnell was used to at Arizona.

In his first game, on Monday night, McConnell had six points, seven rebounds, four assists, a pair of steals and a block in 30 minutes. He played well on defense and did not look overmatched.

On a Sixers’ team whose best point guard a year ago was a journeyman named Ish Smith, McConnell should have no trouble forcing his way into being an effective point guard and maybe even a starter. If that happens, Hinkie will be ahead of the game once again.
I can wait to see TJ play with guys that can knock down shots. He could avg 10ast per game off the bench
If TJ became the starter that would be amazing. Miller better find a way to put TJ in the ring on honor. Its a shame that is not already because of stupid WAC-12 coaches!
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Numbers from Utah Summer League (3 games, 1 win, 2 losses):

28.7 MPG
6.7 PPG
37.5 FG% (9/24)
14.3 3P% (1/7)
50.0 FT% (1/2)
3.0 APG
1.00 A/TO (9/9)
5.7 RPG
0.7 SPG
1.0 BPG

Perhaps he does make the 76er's roster - but those are not numbers that one would usually expect from an NBA point guard.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

He always has been a good rebounder, good nose for the ball.