lets talk '16

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

the real dill

Re: lets talk '16

Post by the real dill »

How is Arizona feeling about Andrew Jones right now?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:So just for fun, if JJ comes to AZ, are we looking at this lineup?

PJC
Trier
Smith
JJ
Ristic

Not sure LM is good enough to start from day one.
I switch the positions Smith and JJ are playing, but that looks good to me. Lauri first big off the bench.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

the real dill wrote:How is Arizona feeling about Andrew Jones right now?
I don't know but they might be feeling pretty good right now, especially given the Louisville turmoil. But there was a time when it was hoped that he'd be a fall commitment, and since he's likely to announce later, Arizona might not be feeling good after several months of recruiting by the Texas schools. Like everyone here, I think that Arizona recruiting in Texas hasn't made sense for many, many years. Arizona is no longer Longhorned.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Longhorned wrote:
I don't know but they might be feeling pretty good right now, especially given the Louisville turmoil. But there was a time when it was hoped that he'd be a fall commitment, and since he's likely to announce later, Arizona might not be feeling good after several months of recruiting by the Texas schools. Like everyone here, I think that Arizona recruiting in Texas hasn't made sense for many, many years. Arizona is no longer Longhorned.
I may be missing the facetious nature of your post, but Arizona has pretty much taken who they want from Texas. Hal still dictates Texas recruiting.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

the real dill wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
I may be missing the facetious nature of your post, but Arizona has pretty much taken who they want from Texas. Hal still dictates Texas recruiting.
No, I'm saying flat out that recruiting in Texas doesn't make any sense for Arizona. Had Jones committed during his visit to Tucson, I'd say otherwise. Now I'm waiting skeptically as more and more time goes by and will continue to go by. Who has Pastner sr. or Bighoops sent Arizona's way, and why would he?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

the real dill wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Who of any eventual consequence?

Almost was Justise Winslow, but that didn't happen. Eli was a 'could have been. McClellan might have been as well, but fate intervened.

Otherwise, a whole bunch of hype and very little production.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

rgdeuce wrote:
Puerco wrote:Methinks the scouts are speaking of NBA potential. Greatest player to come to UA in my book would have to be judged on achievement, and no one's going to beat Sean Elliott in that respect, unless something changes to make 4 year players a common occurence again.
And it depends on how a person defines best player to ever come to the U of A. You can either see that as 1) Who was the best players during their time here, or 2) Who becomes the best player at the next level. Since we always have these debates years after all of these guys leave, I personally define the best player as who has the best pro career or possibly, who was the best professional for at least a string of several seasons. Sean Elliott clearly is above everyone else in terms of what he did while wearing an Arizona uniform, but Arenas was the better professional.

Say JJ commits here, comes into a loaded team and is a 14ppg guy, and 2nd or 3rd team all american. Then he goes into the NBA and becomes a Kobe Bryant. Is Sean Elliott still the best player to come to the U of A?

And Sean Elliott was playing at Arizona when I was a young kid just starting my love affair for Arizona basketball. So I cannot speak to how decorated he was coming in, but from what I have heard from others over the years, he was not nearly as decorated as JJ is right now. I followed Mike Bibby in high school and remember just about everyone back then saying Bibby was the best recruit Lute had ever had come into the program.
Different strokes for different folks.

Sean Elliott was the greatest basketball player ever to ever put on an Arizona uniform. Very arguably not the best pro, but he is a lot higher on that list (and unquestionably one of the best few) than many here seem inclined to suggest. He was a consistent & productive starter for many years on some great teams (winning NBA championships) and made 2 All-Star teams; Arenas made 3.

HS stars were not nearly as hyped 30 years ago as they are now, with nothing comparing to current AAU ball. Yet he was a McDonald's All-American from a market that was far outside the mainstream with virtually no competition or media coverage. UNLV recruited him pretty hard, as I recall.

By your definition, Rob Gronkowski was likely the greater FB player ever at UA, and I am not on board with that; IMO. He is definitely not in my top 5... and almost assuredly not in my Top 10.
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Sean Elliott (and to a smaller degree Steve Kerr) is the reason why you are a fan of Arizona Basketball.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Puerco wrote:Methinks the scouts are speaking of NBA potential. Greatest player to come to UA in my book would have to be judged on achievement, and no one's going to beat Sean Elliott in that respect, unless something changes to make 4 year players a common occurence again.
Scouts address upside, so it makes sense that's they're explicitly addressing NBA potential. There's a difference between the best player to come to the program and the best player to ever be in the program. There will never be a player in any program at the level of Sean Elliott unless college basketball returns to that world where even Michael Jordan stayed in college for three years. Current scouts generally have been watching college basketball since the 1990s and have been scouting actively for around 5-15 years.
No current college player is going to accumulate the college resume of a 20th century college star.

JJ would have a legit chance to be the best player (at the peak of his personal basketball life) ever from Arizona. We've had guys who hit all-star heights, (Arenas, Iggy, Bibby) players with long solid NBA careers (Terry, Damon, Kerr, Elliott) but never a perennial all-star, the kind of guy who makes the all-star team 8-10 times. I could see that potential for JJ.
Popular misconception among the current fanbase, but I am almost 100% certain that Bibby never made an All-Star team, I believe Arenas made 3, Elliot 2, Iguodala 1. Not sure of any else.

I would also suspect that Elliott, Stoudamire, and Bibby were the guys with the most longevity as starters. Elliott was the only one of that group to have won an NBA championship. So did Buechler, Kerr, B-Williams, and Terry... But none of them are in the conversation.

Lots of debate on who was the best fresh ever at UA. D-Will was the best sophomore, and Elliott was the best junior and senior. Look at Elliot's stats those final 2 years and no one comes close.

My bet is that, of the guys to have played at Arizona thus far, Stanley will have the best NBA career and most AS games. If Elliott had Stanimal's alpha-dog mentality, he would have been one of the 50 greatest NBA players of all time, IMHO.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Olsondogg wrote:Sean Elliott (and to a smaller degree Steve Kerr) is the reason why you are a fan of Arizona Basketball.
Agree in principle that those are the trunk of AZ Basketball as we know it.

But Lute is the roots.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Harvey Specter wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
And it depends on how a person defines best player to ever come to the U of A. You can either see that as 1) Who was the best players during their time here, or 2) Who becomes the best player at the next level. Since we always have these debates years after all of these guys leave, I personally define the best player as who has the best pro career or possibly, who was the best professional for at least a string of several seasons. Sean Elliott clearly is above everyone else in terms of what he did while wearing an Arizona uniform, but Arenas was the better professional.

Say JJ commits here, comes into a loaded team and is a 14ppg guy, and 2nd or 3rd team all american. Then he goes into the NBA and becomes a Kobe Bryant. Is Sean Elliott still the best player to come to the U of A?

And Sean Elliott was playing at Arizona when I was a young kid just starting my love affair for Arizona basketball. So I cannot speak to how decorated he was coming in, but from what I have heard from others over the years, he was not nearly as decorated as JJ is right now. I followed Mike Bibby in high school and remember just about everyone back then saying Bibby was the best recruit Lute had ever had come into the program.
Different strokes for different folks.

Sean Elliott was the greatest basketball player ever to ever put on an Arizona uniform. Very arguably not the best pro, but he is a lot higher on that list (and unquestionably one of the best few) than many here seem inclined to suggest. He was a consistent & productive starter for many years on some great teams (winning NBA championships) and made 2 All-Star teams; Arenas made 3.

HS stars were not nearly as hyped 30 years ago as they are now, with nothing comparing to current AAU ball. Yet he was a McDonald's All-American from a market that was far outside the mainstream with virtually no competition or media coverage. UNLV recruited him pretty hard, as I recall.

By your definition, Rob Gronkowski was likely the greater FB player ever at UA, and I am not on board with that; IMO. He is definitely not in my top 5... and almost assuredly not in my Top 10.
I suppose you have to think of it in two ways:
Who was the greatest player to play at Arizona?
Who was the greatest Arizona player?

I could see two different answers to the questions.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Puerco wrote:

Pretty sure it's still Elliott for both questions.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Puerco wrote:

Longhorned's original comment was about how JJ's ranking from the scouts would make him the best player (on paper) to come to Arizona.
This conversation has veered far away from that comment.

Sean didn't have the ranking JJ has, because he played in Tucson, and I don't think club ball was even really around at that time. I'm not even
sure what the state of player rankings was at that time.

Sean is IMHO the best player in the history of Arizona basketball, but that's a completely different conversation.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

Elliott was a McD's all-american and Parade All-American, which is generally considered the highest of honors back then. Tucson wasn't exactly a mecca of high school basketball back then, so recruitment was really regional because of exposure. Travel ball has changed all that.

Judging by the raw footage of Jackson, his size, etc...I'd agree that he would be the best recruit to ever sign with Arizona. But it's all relative anyway. What that recruit does with his time at a school defines his legacy.

Let's just agree that Jackson would be a "holy shit" get for Miller and Arizona!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Puerco wrote:

The first is very debatable. The second is Elliott.

There are multiple Wildcats in the NBA right now who I could see being the answer to the 1st question before they retire.

Harvey, I don't think it's unfair to label Bibby an all-star. He put up that level of play, and only didn't because he played on a very balanced team in the West at the time of a massive talent differential in conferences. Stat wise, his best NBA years were better than Elliott's. Not that both are not great examples for a program. They are.

Edit: This is 100% off topic, but Michael Dickerson's pro career was on course to be one of the best ever from Arizona, if not the best.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Bob Elliot had 2 double double seasons while at Arizona.

Can't even remember the last UA player to average 10 rebounds a game.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I'm so dumb for thinking every time I see this thread bumped that there is some news about the 2016 class of recruits and not the 1916 class of recruits.

By the way, Old Hoss McGinty was a beast in the paint.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

the real dill wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
I may be missing the facetious nature of your post, but PASTNER has pretty much taken who they want from Texas. Hal still dictates Texas recruiting.
FIFY
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Harvey Specter wrote: Different strokes for different folks.

Ok, so who is the greatest player in North Carolina history? Can you can sit there with a straight face and say Tyler Hansbrough? He is their all time leader in scoring, a national player of the year, 3 time first team all american, a national champion, holds the freshman scoring record and was 2nd team AA and all ACC his freshman year.... etc.

And yes, Rob Gronkowski is the greatest tight end to ever play in the nfl, and one of the most dominant weapons in league history. I don't care if he was a waterboy in an Arizona uniform, he is the best player from the University of Arizona, to ever put on an Arizona uniform, or however you want to slice it outside of "while wearing an Arizona uniform, he was the best player in the programs history."
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

TucsonClip wrote:
the real dill wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
I may be missing the facetious nature of your post, but PASTNER has pretty much taken who they want from Texas. Hal still dictates Texas recruiting.
FIFY
Fair enough.

Seems most people think Arizona leads for Jones, at least on the Texas side.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

the real dill wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
the real dill wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
FIFY
Fair enough.

Seems most people think Arizona leads for Jones, at least on the Texas side.
Today, that view may well be right. But will it still be right after several more months of Jones living and playing in Texas, developing a relationship with Shaka Smart in his first year on the job at a location that carries real pull for all of the people in Jones's circle, including his parents who hope to watch him play for what promises to be multiple years? This is a fundamentally different kind of recruitment than one-and-done players not from Texas or Louisiana or Kentucky or Indiana and not in the vicinity of an exciting first-year coach, not to mention other solid options like Baylor and A&M.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote: Different strokes for different folks.

Ok, so who is the greatest player in North Carolina history? Can you can sit there with a straight face and say Tyler Hansbrough? He is their all time leader in scoring, a national player of the year, 3 time first team all american, a national champion, holds the freshman scoring record and was 2nd team AA and all ACC his freshman year.... etc.

And yes, Rob Gronkowski is the greatest tight end to ever play in the nfl, and one of the most dominant weapons in league history. I don't care if he was a waterboy in an Arizona uniform, he is the best player from the University of Arizona, to ever put on an Arizona uniform, or however you want to slice it outside of "while wearing an Arizona uniform, he was the best player in the programs history."
I assume that first paragraph is baiting the hook for someone to forget Michael Jordan played at UNC. I won't take that bait, I'll just say Psycho T could smoke MJ like one of those cigars MJ smokes.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Lol no. What Hansbrough did at UNC far eclipsed what Jordan did at UNC. Just making a point as to why I think it's not so insane to put most of the weight into what a player becomes after his time here, as opposed to what he did while playing on McKale or in Arizona Stadium. Was more of a direct response to the Gronkowski thing. If you ask 100 random people who the greatest football player from the University of Arizona, not many are going to say someone other than Gronk.

Not denying Elliott's time here at all. Yes, nobody else did what he did while wearing an Arizona uniform. But when Arenas was at the absolute top of his game for that 2-3 year stretch, Elliott was not playing on that level. He was a very solid pro, made two all star games, and was a great complimentary piece to David Robinson. Arenas was a superstar for 2 or 3 years and he won three all-nba awards, then he just fell off the face of the earth right as he was entering his prime.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:Lol no. What Hansbrough did at UNC far eclipsed what Jordan did at UNC. Just making a point as to why I think it's not so insane to put most of the weight into what a player becomes after his time here, as opposed to what he did while playing on McKale or in Arizona Stadium. Was more of a direct response to the Gronkowski thing. If you ask 100 random people who the greatest football player from the University of Arizona, not many are going to say someone other than Gronk.

Not denying Elliott's time here at all. Yes, nobody else did what he did while wearing an Arizona uniform. But when Arenas was at the absolute top of his game for that 2-3 year stretch, Elliott was not playing on that level. He was a very solid pro, made two all star games, and was a great complimentary piece to David Robinson. Arenas was a superstar for 2 or 3 years and he won three all-nba awards, then he just fell off the face of the earth right as he was entering his prime.
Actually I think the Hansbrough/Jordan example is perfect. Hansbrough has a better college resume and objectively did more than Jordan did at UNC.

Tell 100 people that North Carolina's best player was Tyler Hansbrough, not Michael Jordan and 50 will try to have you forcibly committed to an asylum, 25 will laugh at you until they pee their pants, 24 will ask you for some of what you're smoking and 1 will say "you mean on college resume alone? Good point."

Pro career does and should color the way people see a player. It matters for the player and for the college too.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I think if Arizona is going to land Jones it'll have to get him back on campus again before he makes his final decision.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

rgdeuce wrote:Lol no. What Hansbrough did at UNC far eclipsed what Jordan did at UNC. Just making a point as to why I think it's not so insane to put most of the weight into what a player becomes after his time here, as opposed to what he did while playing on McKale or in Arizona Stadium. Was more of a direct response to the Gronkowski thing. If you ask 100 random people who the greatest football player from the University of Arizona, not many are going to say someone other than Gronk.

Good argument, and I have no problem with how anybody wants to define a pogram's greatest player. We can agree to disagree.

IMO... you downplay Jordan's accomplishments at UNC, because he was a national name and a force. Had he played 4 years at UNC Psycho T would have no advantage; in my view Jordan was a better college player, anyway. 2nd... Arenas was undoubtedly a more marquee NBA star than Elliott was, but his impact was pretty short lived. That may not matter... But the disparity between their college careers was far greater (in Elliot's favor) than there was between their pro careers.

I am sure most non-UA fans would name Gronk as UA's greatest FB player. I AM a UA fan, and there were several guys that did far more at AZ than him.

UCLA fans would almost universally say that Walton was the greatest player ever out of UCLA... And while it was due largely to injury, he certainly did not have the greatest pro career.

Not part of your previous comments, but elsewhere in the thread, BIbby was a solid starting PG in the NBA for many years, but was never All-Star caliber, regardless of where he played - or who with. I saw him play in Sacramento many times... Mine is a minority and unpopular opinion among UA faithful, but I think most here overvalue his tenure as a pro and under-value Elliot's; I would say they were pretty similar,
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
az91

Post by az91 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
the real dill wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Who of any eventual consequence?

Almost was Justise Winslow, but that didn't happen. Eli was a 'could have been. McClellan might have been as well, but fate intervened.

Otherwise, a whole bunch of hype and very little production.
Who is Eli? The Book of Eli :lol:
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I think both Bibby and Elliotts pro careers are undervalued. It's crazy that Mike Bibby never made an all star team. Though he was probably the second best player (Webber) on those great kings teams, thats a small market team. His scoring and assists numbers took hits too; the kings had loads of scoring weapons and the way they moved the ball so well and had great passing bigs led to his assist numbers taking a hit. And even then, he had some really good numbers statistically for people who judge solely off that rather than watching the games too. You mean to tell me Sam Cassell was better than Bibby? Not buying that, and I remember him making a string off all star games over Bibby. Bibby was arguably the best clutch shooting point of his era too.

As for Elliott, I think its a combination of his career being so long ago, a lot of basketball fans were too young to fully remember what he did in the league; and him coming into the league at the same time as David Robinson, who from the jump was a marquee player. Recently at work, a big boss did trivia as an ice breaker for a meeting, and his sports related question was asking what was the one team he played for besides san antonio. Lots of sports nuts in there and U of A alum, probably 150 people and I was the only one who raised my hand. His career wasnt "big" enough to compensate for the age of it for many people. I agree that his pro career is criminally undervalued though. Had he gone to a different team, the average one who will be picking in his slot and been built around him, his career is different. scoring 17-20 a game when Robinson is your teammate (with other solid complimentary pieces around too) is nothing to sneeze at. He was recognized with the two all star games, but im sure most forget that.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

ChooChooCat wrote:I think if Arizona is going to land Jones it'll have to get him back on campus again before he makes his final decision.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Keepin up with the Joneses ...
Right where I want to be.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

New offer: KU has offered a scholarship to Andrew Jones, a 6-4 senior shooting guard from McArthur High in Irving, Texas, Rivals.com reports. Jones, who is ranked No. 38 in the Class of 2016, in August visited Arizona and Louisville and made unofficials to Baylor, SMU and Texas.

He will likely wait until spring to sign.

“I talked to coach (Bill) Self and he kind of explained to me how I would fit and that he didn’t recruit me as they should have and that they should have jumped on me earlier. Once they realized that I was signing late that’s when they really decided to push it,” Jones told Rivals.com.

“(Self) talked about Wayne Selden possibly leaving (for NBA) and that I could have a chance to play. My dad checked out their roster and told me to watch their games and see where I fit.”

Of the decision-making process, he told Rivals.com, “Going on visits I really try and get a good relationship with the players and the coaches. I see where my fit is and where I gel with the environment. I’m just trying to do my research.”
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

That loss to Arizona in 1997 left a deep, deep emotional scar. :lol:
A psychiatrist could make a career out of your obsession with Arizona.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I laughed the hardest at Wayne Selden leaving for the NBA (at least at this point). I guess NBA teams are really beating down doors to get at shooting guards who averaged 9 ppg on under 40% shooting.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

7 De’Aaron Fox: Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville or LSU
13 T.J. Leaf: Oregon, San Diego State or UCLA
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

the real dill wrote: 7 De’Aaron Fox: Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville or LSU
13 T.J. Leaf: Oregon, San Diego State or UCLA
UK and UCLA per their guesses:

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Lauri Markkanen signed his letter of intent this morning.
-JB
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

markjr44 - 1hr ago

Signing day pretty amazing feeling! Not playing no.1 tho #UofA #BearDown #BTFD #UA

HiCat

Post by HiCat »

The 2016 Arizona Wildcats recruiting class has been a big topic of conversation, but it officially has one player.

Lauri Markkanen has sent in his letter of intent, making his commitment to Arizona official.

"We are elated to add Lauri Markkanen as part of the future of our program," Sean Miller said in a statement. "Lauri is a 7-foot forward with an offensive skill level that allows him to score both on the perimeter and in the low post. He led the extremely-competitive FIBA U18 European Championships in scoring this past summer while representing his home country of Finland. That performance demonstrates his unique blend of talents that make him such a special player."

Markkanen committed to Arizona while he was in Tucson for the Red-Blue Game. That decision came before the game, and Lauri's father Pekka told Bruce Pascoe why that was the case:

"We both have a great feeling because we have done it, and Lauri feels he made the right decision," Pekka Markkanen said. "He was ready to do it. I told him, ‘Don't let the scrimmage affect your decision.' If you know it already, you can tell them before the scrimmage.' "

Arizona will lose a few big men after this season, as Kaleb Tarczewski, Ryan Anderson, and Mark Tollefsen will all graduate. It will be no surprise to see Markkanen play immediately:

"Lauri is also an exceptional student, a high-character person and a basketball player that loves the game," Miller noted. "He will impact our program both on and off the court from the moment he arrives in Tucson."

Welcome Lauri Markkanen to the Arizona family

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... -markkanen" target="_blank

Miller says, "we are eccstatic to sign Lauri... he's a prolific 3-point shooter from the FIBA line, he puts the ball on the floor, he's very agile. He can really shoot the ball."
http://www.kgun9.com/sports/lauri-markk ... -of-intent" target="_blank
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

LM sounds like a young Nowitzki.
WildcatLouis

Post by WildcatLouis »

I hope that line about him being a "prolific 3-point shooter" is correct. We haven't had one of those at Arizona since Salim graduated 10 years ago.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

WildcatLouis wrote:I hope that line about him being a "prolific 3-point shooter" is correct. We haven't had one of those at Arizona since Salim graduated 10 years ago.
Fogg shot around 45 percent one year. Lavender was just a hair under 50 percent. Mayes gave us 45 percent one year. High shooting volume guys like Budinger and Bayless gave us 40 percent in one season. Wise gave us 36, 41, and 46 percent outside of his freshman year. Horne had one really good year in the mid 40's. D-Wills attempts to minutes may disqualify him, but obviously he was above 50 percent.

Not sure what qualifies prolific? 45 percent or higher with any volume and you are looking at mostly one-dimensional white dudes you never heard of at small schools. If you are expecting a Kerr or Salim, those guys are only going to come around once a decade. Not sure if the definition for prolific for this kid meets their bar or not. He gives me 40 percent im more than happy.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

rgdeuce wrote:
WildcatLouis wrote:I hope that line about him being a "prolific 3-point shooter" is correct. We haven't had one of those at Arizona since Salim graduated 10 years ago.
Fogg shot around 45 percent one year. Lavender was just a hair under 50 percent. Mayes gave us 45 percent one year. High shooting volume guys like Budinger and Bayless gave us 40 percent in one season. Wise gave us 36, 41, and 46 percent outside of his freshman year. Horne had one really good year in the mid 40's. D-Wills attempts to minutes may disqualify him, but obviously he was above 50 percent.

Not sure what qualifies prolific? 45 percent or higher with any volume and you are looking at mostly one-dimensional white dudes you never heard of at small schools. If you are expecting a Kerr or Salim, those guys are only going to come around once a decade. Not sure if the definition for prolific for this kid meets their bar or not. He gives me 40 percent im more than happy.
Wasn't I-Rad a pretty decent long range shooter?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

He turned out to have a pretty solid mid range at the end of his time here. His percentage from 3, 37% senior season, is higher than I remembered, but he only averaged about 1.6 attempts per game.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:

I'd rather have a bunch of decent 3 point shooters than a prolific one and some nonshooters. Gabe's 40% last year was good, but everything he gave us in spacing we lost when teams sagged on Rondae.

The concept of a zone buster is overrated. Having multiskilled guys who can drop open 3's but also operate closer to the basket is the ideal.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I'd rather have a bunch of decent 3 point shooters than a prolific one and some nonshooters. Gabe's 40% last year was good, but everything he gave us in spacing we lost when teams sagged on Rondae.

The concept of a zone buster is overrated. Having multiskilled guys who can drop open 3's but also operate closer to the basket is the ideal.
I agree on both. York was the first person who popped in my mind before I responded, not sure why I forgot to include him.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Good shooting is for teams that don't know how to grab offensive boards.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Leaf to UCLA.

As usual, they're getting our scraps.

Here's hoping JJ commits soon and reminds everyone which Pac school elite players choose.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

:roll: Shocked.
-JB
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

ADIDAS!!!