Wooden Legacy Nov 26-29

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CalStateTempe

Wooden Legacy Nov 26-29

Post by CalStateTempe »

WooHoo! Going to spend Thanksgiving holiday in LA.

AND Wooden Legacy with the CATS.

Will be able to go see them on Friday 27th whenever and whoever they play at Cal State Fullerton.

Anyone have any tips on how to get tickets to the undercard games? PM session on Friday? I only see the Final game listed on Ticketmaster and the Wooden Legacy website.

Thanks! Bear Down.
CBCat

Re: Wooden Legacy Nov 26-29

Post by CBCat »

I bought all sessions tickets. Anybody know if the Fullerton games are first come first serve? Didnt have seat assignments for those games. Thx!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Good idea...

So you can only get access to the Fullerton games if you buy the all session ticket?

Guess if I have to go that route I can always sell the Sunday game to arizona or mich st fan.

Or maybe I just take that Monday off...
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

http://www.fullertontitans.com/sports/m ... 1109ml267r" target="_blank

Got my tickets for Fridays late slate.

Bear Down.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

930 tip off....I am heading out Friday morning so that will be a late one before getting up early to drive there. I am assuming its like Maui and they just open the doors and fans rush to get seats. But since its sessions, I assume it wont be as bad if I show up for the first games.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Michigan State looks like a pretty solid favorite to win this thing. They were impressive against Kansas.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Gilbertcat wrote:930 tip off....I am heading out Friday morning so that will be a late one before getting up early to drive there. I am assuming its like Maui and they just open the doors and fans rush to get seats. But since its sessions, I assume it wont be as bad if I show up for the first games.
Yeah the tickets said to get there for the early game for seats to the second game. I think it's safe to say cats should be in the 830pm game. Sounds like its like Maui, the clear the first slate of games and then you get to go an find seats.

Pretty fired up. First chance to see the cats in person in 2 seasons, great seats, and will be fine watching the early game. Also taking my nephew who plays point in LA and is a huge ucla fan. Looking forward to showing him a real basketball program and what can support look like.

BEAR DOWN.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

I booked my stay through Anthony Travel and it came with Disney 2day hopper tickets for $150 each. I was told its a good deal so I guess I will check this fancy place out that I have heard about on Saturday. One good thing about Football not having a bye, it free'd me up for this weekend.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Beachcat97 wrote:Michigan State looks like a pretty solid favorite to win this thing. They were impressive against Kansas.
Not sure if you can say that theyre the clear favorite but that game will be played in the building where we've lost pretty much every big game we've played in there since 1998
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Michigan State looks like a pretty solid favorite to win this thing. They were impressive against Kansas.
Not sure if you can say that theyre the clear favorite but that game will be played in the building where we've lost pretty much every big game we've played in there since 1998
Two reasons why we've got to win, win, win if we both get to the Finals:

First, we're going to ameliorate our Anaheim affliction. Let's do a red-out.

Second, we're going to demo a real program to a certain Mr. Jackson.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EOCT wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Two reasons why we've got to win, win, win if we both get to the Finals:

First, we're going to ameliorate our Anaheim affliction. Let's do a red-out.

Second, we're going to demo a real program to a certain Mr. Jackson.
It's nice to be an OOC underdog for the first time in a while. I'm excited to see how this team responds in its first big stage game of the year.

This year is just so different from previous years. There's such a learning curve for this team, I want to see how we handle it, but am more stressed about whether we respond well and continue growing after the tourney.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:This year is just so different from previous years. There's such a learning curve for this team, I want to see how we handle it, but am more stressed about whether we respond well and continue growing after the tourney.
Yeah, and we're not really past (or even near being past) that learning curve yet, whereas MSU seems a little ahead of other teams right now.

I don't think we'll get embarrassed, but I do think the Spartans are a favorite in this one.

Hopefully we can keep it close into the final minutes and get a little luck. Would be a huge win.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:This year is just so different from previous years. There's such a learning curve for this team, I want to see how we handle it, but am more stressed about whether we respond well and continue growing after the tourney.
Yeah, and we're not really past (or even near being past) that learning curve yet, whereas MSU seems a little ahead of other teams right now.

I don't think we'll get embarrassed, but I do think the Spartans are a favorite in this one.

Hopefully we can keep it close into the final minutes and get a little luck. Would be a huge win.
MSU is far closer to a final tourney product than we are right now. I'm honestly ok if we lose. I want to see us respond positively and match their toughness and desire. I see them as the favorite, though, and I would think most do.

The thing I really want to see is an improvement from this tourney to Gonzaga. Progressing game to game is how we get closer to our ceiling.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

MSU is far closer to a final tourney product than we are right now. I'm honestly ok if we lose. I want to see us respond positively and match their toughness and desire. I see them as the favorite, though, and I would think most do.

The thing I really want to see is an improvement from this tourney to Gonzaga. Progressing game to game is how we get closer to our ceiling.
I'd be thrilled to beat either MSU or Gonzaga.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I just hope we can get by Providence and Chris Dunn I'm the second game
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azcat49 wrote:I just hope we can get by Providence and Chris Dunn I'm the second game
True. Sorta feel like this AZ team is a collection of good (not great) players. Anderson and Trier have star potential, just not sure how fast (or whether) they'll get there. We have nice depth, but I wonder if that depth can make up for not having any true star players (Stanley, Aaron, Nick, TJ, Rondae), especially against a Chris Dunn or a Denzel Valentine. We're also terrible at FTs. It's early in the season, and we'll get better of course. Just not sure we're ready to battle with these elite players/teams. We'll soon find out.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Geez, still on the "no star players" meme.

We'll be fine.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
azcat49 wrote:I just hope we can get by Providence and Chris Dunn I'm the second game
True. Sorta feel like this AZ team is a collection of good (not great) players. Anderson and Trier have star potential, just not sure how fast (or whether) they'll get there. We have nice depth, but I wonder if that depth can make up for not having any true star players (Stanley, Aaron, Nick, TJ, Rondae), especially against a Chris Dunn or a Denzel Valentine. We're also terrible at FTs. It's early in the season, and we'll get better of course. Just not sure we're ready to battle with these elite players/teams. We'll soon find out.
If we're scared of Providence, we might as well just call it quits. You gotta beat good teams sometime.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Oh I agree, but my biggest doubt for the season was PG play and while our two guys have been good, Dunn is on another level

And Cooley and Miller know each other well which adds another layer to this game which should not be overlooked
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

So. . . is Santa Clara going be break out the 4 Corners offence? Might be their only chance really. . .:P

Yes. I am Evil. :)
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Santa Clara is not good...losses to uc Riverside, Lipscomb, uc Irvine, Denver, uw Milwaukee

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

ASUHATER! wrote:Santa Clara is not good...losses to uc Riverside, Lipscomb, uc Irvine, Denver, uw Milwaukee
yup. I hope RA sits again, cause I think Providence has one of, if not the best player in CBB...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Questions from those that have done these type of early season tourneys before in LA.

How packed will Friday's game be? Sellout?

Percentage UofA fans?

Any other tips?

I'm hoping for a sea of red, but realistic given its the semifinal match up. Really going to do my damnedest to convert my cousin in-law to CATS nation. he is a Ruins fan and plays point at a high school in LA.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Still wondering if they'll let all session tickets in during middle of third game?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Soooo Texas am beat gonzaga

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ASUHATER! wrote:Soooo Texas am beat gonzaga
A&M is good; Zaga might be a tad overrated.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Valentine is going to have a field day against Arizona
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

cats101 wrote:Valentine is going to have a field day against Arizona
Yep. Having Smith for this game would've helped. I don't see a guy on our roster who can check him. Tollefsen? No way. Valentine is also a senior, so Miller has to be leery about putting Trier or Simon on him. Kadeem and Gabe are gonna have to really step up their D; maybe Pitts?

On paper, MSU should handle us without too much trouble. Would love to be talked out of this opinion.
gumby

Post by gumby »

That. Was. Horrible.

Trytophanatical.
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

But not 44.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

We let some no name hang 44 on us. Pitts was our answer for said player.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

3-22 from three. What the hell.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
gumby

Post by gumby »

Let's see: Zeus probably out. Trier buried on bench after looking lost. Tollefsen going Jamelle Horne (but getting away with it). Just hope Providence doesn't have an elite guard.
Last edited by gumby on Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

gumby wrote:
But not 44.
Assuming we can get by Providence......after a disgusting debacle where a crappy 0-5 Team took us to OT and almost beat us....,pathetic performance tonight and we are in need of some serious redemption tomorrow. Hope Zeus gets well soon.

Disgusting game tonight....shameful.... Bear Down.
gumby

Post by gumby »

rgdeuce wrote:We let some no name hang 44 on us. Pitts was our answer for said player.
We don't appear to have a stopper.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

gumby wrote:Let's see: Zeus probably out. Trier buried on bench after looking lost. Tollefsen going Jamellle Horne (but getting away with it). Just hope Providence doesn't have an elite guard.
His name is Kris Dunn. Enjoy.

The defense this year is giving me shades of Sean Miller's first year.

If Arizona wins this tournament it would be quite the accomplishment
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Nope. That was a huge concern of mine coming into the season. Then thought Allen was gonna be that guy, not sure why he wasnt thrown at that dude tonight. Even then, Kadeems a very good defender but I havent seem him as a shutdown guy. And aside from that, the team defense hasnt been good and tonight it was downright horrible. We are just going to have to outslug teams this year until we figure things out defensively. And when offensive nights like these pop up we are just going to have to get lucky or take our loss and move on to the next one. This is the worst defensive showing we have seen in a very long time. I dont know if im overreacting here because of what happened tonight, but maybe since the first season under Miller?
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

The defensive step back isn't surprising but we're horrible if our jumpers aren't falling. I'll be genuinely surprised if Dunn drops anything below 30
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

cats101 wrote:
gumby wrote:Let's see: Zeus probably out. Trier buried on bench after looking lost. Tollefsen going Jamellle Horne (but getting away with it). Just hope Providence doesn't have an elite guard.
His name is Kris Dunn. Enjoy.

The defense this year is giving me shades of Sean Miller's first year.

If Arizona wins this tournament it would be quite the accomplishment

Honestly, if we can beat Providence and NOT get blown out by MSU that would be an accomplishment....especially assuming Zeus doesn't play either game. Hate to say this but best case scenario for this team prior to Conference play is to only lose 2 games (to MSU and @Gonzaga).

Also, WTF is up with York being so streaky? Was hoping he'd be more consistent by now. Also, can anyone please explain how we could defend Brownridge so poorly? SMH...
az91

Post by az91 »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
cats101 wrote: Honestly, if we can beat Providence and NOT get blown out by MSU that would be an accomplishment....especially assuming Zeus doesn't play either game. Hate to say this but best case scenario for this team prior to Conference play is to only lose 2 games (to MSU and @Gonzaga).

Also, WTF is up with York being so streaky? Was hoping he'd be more consistent by now. Also, can anyone please explain how we could defend Brownridge so poorly? SMH...
I agree that the best we can hope for in this tournament is to get by Providence and not be embarrassed by MSU. Poor defense and bad outside shooting may plague us the rest of the year.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Miller doesn't like doubling. The one time we did, their big hit a 3. He needs another plan, because we don't have a Nick or Rondae on the perimeter, unless it's Kadeem, who had foul trouble.

Trier better D-up or it will be a long year. Tolly has been a disappointment so far.

Give Brownridge some credit. Hit tough shots and had to be tired. Plus, perfect from the line.

First game away from McKale and we looked tentative and uncomfortable. Zeus was our best player before the injury. Three-point shooting after five games is a concern.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Miller blames defense and himself. "Who are we? What do we do well?"
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Come on, Brownridge shot 37%. The team as a whole shot 43%. He just chucked all night long. If his attempts and points were spread out over the whole team no one would've noticed. The problem in this game was UA's shooting. Fix that and we're up by 15 at the end of regulation.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Box score Santa Clara game

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400826228" target="_blank
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Wildcard jinx

Miller said he wasn’t sure whether Tarczewski would play Friday against Providence but it didn’t look good.

“He’s really been injured the entire time here, his senior year,” Miller said. “He’s practiced I think two weeks. And he’s been bothered by both ankles and I know he re-injured one of them tonight. I don’t know the severity but certainly that’s not good.”

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/a ... b1ecb.html" target="_blank
gumby

Post by gumby »

Puerco wrote:Come on, Brownridge shot 37%. The team as a whole shot 43%. He just chucked all night long. If his attempts and points were spread out over the whole team no one would've noticed. The problem in this game was UA's shooting. Fix that and we're up by 15 at the end of regulation.
Add in the 15-15 from the line. That's like 7-7 from the field (with one being a three ), and 11-29 becomes 18-36. It was a definite problem. Did you watch? If we had shot it better, it would've still been a poor defensive performance. We KNEW where they were going, especially after the first half. He added 29 more.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Puerco wrote:Come on, Brownridge shot 37%. The team as a whole shot 43%. He just chucked all night long. If his attempts and points were spread out over the whole team no one would've noticed. The problem in this game was UA's shooting. Fix that and we're up by 15 at the end of regulation.
We shot 42% and a respectable 70% from the line. You have a lot more faith than I do if you dont think thats going to happen many more times this season, especially against zones, better defending teams, and teams who slow the pace down. That night from three is not abnornal. Weve shown several halves of that quality but ended up finishing well to mask it and make it look respectable at the end.

Their numbers werent mindblowing, but a few things: those numbers dropped when they got tired and the game dragged on; dude wasnt as efficient because he HAD to shoot like that in volume for them to be successful. Imagine if that dude had a few other pieces around him? We knew what he was gonna do and who was gonna shoot and he still killed us. A no name guy, not a stud. Those guys were garbage until he started going off and he made his teammates at least average. Second, it's the timing and ability to get stops when needed. It looked worse last night because we didnt score well, but every single one of us cringed last night late after we missed a shot. We cringed because we were completely uncertain we were going to get a stop. A few times we looked to make things somewhat comfortable and the lead narrowed cuz we couldnt get a stop. I realize they hit a few "u gotta be kidding me" shots, like the step back three, but we were feeling that way against an 0-5 team and some no name dude.

I had absolutely no confidence in our team at either end of the floor last night. It felt like the first wisconsin tournament loss when our offfense was ehh and we couldnt stop Kaminsky. This guy wasnt Kaminsky. At least with solid defense we are going to be in every game. We have seen it the last two years on nights where our offense blew balls. You give yourself a chance at least, and more times than not we are gonna get that big bucket, a Nick Johnson who stunk up the floor the whole game is going to figure out a way to close, we are going to get some easy transition buckets late from a steal or long rebound. The problem last night was 100 percent defense because every team has off nights offensively and our comp is only gonna get better
gumby

Post by gumby »

HiCat wrote:Wildcard jinx

Miller said he wasn’t sure whether Tarczewski would play Friday against Providence but it didn’t look good.

“He’s really been injured the entire time here, his senior year,” Miller said. “He’s practiced I think two weeks. And he’s been bothered by both ankles and I know he re-injured one of them tonight. I don’t know the severity but certainly that’s not good.”

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/a ... b1ecb.html" target="_blank
Sucks, and the massive Zags are eight days away.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Zags? True, but if Wildcats happen to beat Providence (certainly no given), Michigan St. is going to DESTROY us.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

rgdeuce wrote:
We shot 42% and a respectable 70% from the line. You have a lot more faith than I do if you dont think thats going to happen many more times this season, especially against zones, better defending teams, and teams who slow the pace down. That night from three is not abnornal. Weve shown several halves of that quality but ended up finishing well to mask it and make it look respectable at the end.

Their numbers werent mindblowing, but a few things: those numbers dropped when they got tired and the game dragged on; dude wasnt as efficient because he HAD to shoot like that in volume for them to be successful. Imagine if that dude had a few other pieces around him? We knew what he was gonna do and who was gonna shoot and he still killed us. A no name guy, not a stud. Those guys were garbage until he started going off and he made his teammates at least average. Second, it's the timing and ability to get stops when needed. It looked worse last night because we didnt score well, but every single one of us cringed last night late after we missed a shot. We cringed because we were completely uncertain we were going to get a stop. A few times we looked to make things somewhat comfortable and the lead narrowed cuz we couldnt get a stop. I realize they hit a few "u gotta be kidding me" shots, like the step back three, but we were feeling that way against an 0-5 team and some no name dude.

I had absolutely no confidence in our team at either end of the floor last night. It felt like the first wisconsin tournament loss when our offfense was ehh and we couldnt stop Kaminsky. This guy wasnt Kaminsky. At least with solid defense we are going to be in every game. We have seen it the last two years on nights where our offense blew balls. You give yourself a chance at least, and more times than not we are gonna get that big bucket, a Nick Johnson who stunk up the floor the whole game is going to figure out a way to close, we are going to get some easy transition buckets late from a steal or long rebound. The problem last night was 100 percent defense because every team has off nights offensively and our comp is only gonna get better
If memory serves, we played pretty well against Wisky, but they were unconscious and beat us. Twice. Last night we played poorly against a bad team which was making some tough shots, and we won. I understand what you're saying, but the ramifications of a close win against a bad team when you're having an off night shouldn't be all bad. Will we lose against a better team if we have a bad night? Of course we will, but that won't be the end of the world. That happens to most teams most years, and we ain't making it through this season undefeated.
EDIT: regarding our shooting... Against Santa Clara on a normal night, I'd expect > 50% from the field, wouldn't you? And maybe a little better than 14% from three?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy