UA Basketball 2015-2016 Discussion Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

DiehardDave37

Re: UA Basketball 2015-2016 Discussion Thread

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Chicat wrote:
DiehardDave37 wrote:Off subject! I just want to say how happy I am to see all these names of posters I liked in the past. I could not find you when GoAZCats imploded. Finally! It feels like Christmas for me.
Haha, nice!

Out of curiosity, how did you find the site?
I finally had all I could stand of PGU.com. I said to myself, "Those guys from GoAZCats had to have gone somewhere, find them." Google was my answer. I had tried before, but this time I persevered. I could not get my old name back. Someone fittingly retired my jersey, LOL! so I added my birth year to my name. Does that make me the oldest one here? I'm 79 in 51 days.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

DiehardDave37 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
DiehardDave37 wrote:Off subject! I just want to say how happy I am to see all these names of posters I liked in the past. I could not find you when GoAZCats imploded. Finally! It feels like Christmas for me.
Haha, nice!

I finally had all I could stand of PGU.com. I said to myself, "Those guys from GoAZCats had to have gone somewhere, find them." Google was my answer. I had tried before, but this time I persevered.
We are going to have to work on some search engine optimization to become more easily visible. I've actually been thinking about that a lot. I'm sure you're not alone as far as former posters who are lost in the wilderness. And Cat fans don't let other Cat fans go to PGU...
DiehardDave37 wrote:I could not get my old name back. Someone fittingly retired my jersey, LOL! so I added my birth year to my name. Does that make me the oldest one here? I'm 79 in 51 days.
Yep, probably. You've got Merkin beat by at least a few months...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

DiehardDave37 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Haha, nice!

I finally had all I could stand of PGU.com. I said to myself, "Those guys from GoAZCats had to have gone somewhere, find them." Google was my answer. I had tried before, but this time I persevered. I could not get my old name back. Someone fittingly retired my jersey, LOL! so I added my birth year to my name. Does that make me the oldest one here? I'm 79 in 51 days.
Very cool to see you back DiehardDave! Bear Down.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Did not want to hear this. Arghh.

Arizona center Tarczewski to miss 4 to 6 weeks
Posted: Dec 01, 2015 2:31 PM
Updated: Dec 01, 2015 5:08 PM

TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) -

Arizona Wildcats senior center Kaleb Tarczewski will miss the next four to six weeks because of injuries, the school said Tuesday.

The school said Tarczewski suffered a stress reaction and strained muscle in his left foot during one of the Wildcats' games last week.

Head Coach Sean Miller is expected to discuss the injury during his weekly press conference on Thursday.

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/3064 ... -six-weeks" target="_blank
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Interested to see how Miller adjusts now. Does he go with Ristic, Anderson, Trier (or Pitts), Gabe, Allen? Anderson, Tollefsen, Trier (or Pitts), Gabe, Allen? I personally like Anderson, Tollefsen, Trier, Gabe, and PJC, and run as much as we can and push the tempo. Yeah, depth takes a hit down another man, but that's a pretty athletic starting five, and Tollefsen is much more bearable when things speed up and he can attack closer to the basket. We obviously lose size and presence on the interior, but spacing will be good and we just got to get better with moving the ball. Defensively we are going to be hurting no matter who is thrown out there. Ristic adds size and great rebounding, but slows things down on both ends. Tough call, if we can weather this storm (I still think we can get through this with just the one nonconference loss) and Zeus comes back healthy, that is some character building stuff and will make us tougher for conference play and beyond.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:Interested to see how Miller adjusts now. Does he go with Ristic, Anderson, Trier (or Pitts), Gabe, Allen? Anderson, Tollefsen, Trier (or Pitts), Gabe, Allen? I personally like Anderson, Tollefsen, Trier, Gabe, and PJC, and run as much as we can and push the tempo. Yeah, depth takes a hit down another man, but that's a pretty athletic starting five, and Tollefsen is much more bearable when things speed up and he can attack closer to the basket. We obviously lose size and presence on the interior, but spacing will be good and we just got to get better with moving the ball. Defensively we are going to be hurting no matter who is thrown out there. Ristic adds size and great rebounding, but slows things down on both ends. Tough call, if we can weather this storm (I still think we can get through this with just the one nonconference loss) and Zeus comes back healthy, that is some character building stuff and will make us tougher for conference play and beyond.
I doubt the regular style changes. Zeus isn't gone for the year, and Miller always is big on the development process reflecting the end goal. For instance, Miller will play normal rotations even against weaker teams that we're likely to blow out.

By necessity, we'll see smaller, more athletic lineups. Comanche will have to play a role similar to Ristic last year. Tollefsen will have to play the 4. Ristic will have to log starter minutes. I just don't expect huge stylistic changes. Miller is a packline guy, so we'll be working on the packline, not slapping on a full court press.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Zeus out for 4-6 weeks translates to 7-10 games? (assuming he's back in mid January in game shape) Zags are going to be tough without the big man. Not that Arizona's out of it, but just tougher. This is a great
opportunity for the next man/men up. Should be interesting to see who SM
puts on the floor on Saturday.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Need a Korcheck to muscle the Zags' bigs. More than a few former HS basketball players on the football team who could walk on, but a little late now to pick up the scheme.

Ristic and Tollefsen are finesse players, no muscle, and will foil out early. Comanche is just too slight.
gumby

Post by gumby »

DiehardDave37 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Haha, nice!

Yay! I'm back to being a young-un!
Right where I want to be.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

HiCat wrote:Zeus out for 4-6 weeks translates to 7-10 games? (assuming he's back in mid January in game shape) Zags are going to be tough without the big man. Not that Arizona's out of it, but just tougher. This is a great
He's gonna miss UNLV, ASU, and the L.A. road trip. Wow.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Meanwhile, others will develop.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:Need a Korcheck to muscle the Zags' bigs. More than a few former HS basketball players on the football team who could walk on, but a little late now to pick up the scheme.

Ristic and Tollefsen are finesse players, no muscle, and will foil out early. Comanche is just too slight.
Actually, in a way, making our bigs face a tough, strong front line without Zeus might be helpful in the long term. Yes, we could get our ass kicked, but we need those guys to be tough. Zaga is the first team that will force those guys to man up.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

U have to start Ristic v the Zags right???

Ristic on Karnowski , Tolly on Wiltjer (shutter) , and Anderson on Sabonis.

Any other lineup and we have a BIG size disadvantage on D end.

Do we even know if Anderson will be ready to go. two sprains in one game is tough to come back for ...... He could have a stress reaction or something similar as well. Although the second sprain didn't look bad, just strictly because ankle was weak.

At least we have almost a full week for him to heal up.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Zags are big

Kyle Wiltjer 6'10" 18 pts 7 rebs

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... a-bulldogs" target="_blank
Last edited by HiCat on Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

We've got bodies to rebound. And our guards (Trier & Allen) are tough on the glass.

Unless Gonzaga's guards are way better than advertised, I don't think this game is as one sided as people think. Foul trouble is gonna play a big role. If Anderson gets in trouble, we're toast.

But I like what I've seen from Kadeem Allen. He's shown flashes of being a really good player. He reminds me so much of a smaller, quicker version of Kevin Parrom. If Allen can develop a consistent jumper, he's gonna be a great player for us.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PennZona20 wrote: Ristic on Karnowski , Tolly on Wiltjer (shutter) , and Anderson on Sabonis.
I've always wondered why does Arizona have to match up to the other team? Why can't they match up to us? Go small ball like UDub did back when they Nate Robinson.

Not that we have a Nate, but we have enough wings and guards to run them, with some pretty long arms.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

CalStateTempe wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Can I push everyone into suicide right now? The transfer who got away, Damion Lee, is averaging 19.3 5 boards and 2.5 assists for Louisville so far. 56% from the floor and 37 from three.
I choose to blame the piece of shit on pointguardu for this.
what was the backstory again on this?

and what is the status on ACE's proximity to the program currently? Did GB sick the cease and desist dogs on him yet?
ya what was the story? Ace posted he was coming here before anything was officially announced? Pissed off his parents so we got crossed off the list? Thats what I vaguely remember.
Last edited by Jefe on Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
PennZona20 wrote: Ristic on Karnowski , Tolly on Wiltjer (shutter) , and Anderson on Sabonis.
I've always wondered why does Arizona have to match up to the other team? Why can't they match up to us? Go small ball like UDub did back when they Nate Robinson.

Not that we have a Nate, but we have enough wings and guards to run them, with some pretty long arms.
We need to play our game. They are very good offensively and more vulnerable on D. We will win by outscoring them, not by holding them under 60. Play the lineup that can get us 80.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Beachcat97 wrote:
HiCat wrote:Zeus out for 4-6 weeks translates to 7-10 games? (assuming he's back in mid January in game shape) Zags are going to be tough without the big man. Not that Arizona's out of it, but just tougher. This is a great
He's gonna miss UNLV, ASU, and the L.A. road trip. Wow.
So, nobody thinks Mizzou could be a problem in 11 days before we get accustomed to the new line-up/roles?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Missouri's awful.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

DiehardDave37 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Haha, nice!

Btw, just read this.

Glad you finally found the site. Welcome to 24 hours of sports talk.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

So Wazzu lost by only 9 against the Zags...just sayin...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Airizona

Post by Airizona »

I don't think Karnowski (sp?) played last night. Anyone know why?
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

back injury. sounds like it's minor, though he didn't even warm up with the team.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Interested to see how Miller adjusts now. Does he go with Ristic, Anderson, Trier (or Pitts), Gabe, Allen? Anderson, Tollefsen, Trier (or Pitts), Gabe, Allen? I personally like Anderson, Tollefsen, Trier, Gabe, and PJC, and run as much as we can and push the tempo. Yeah, depth takes a hit down another man, but that's a pretty athletic starting five, and Tollefsen is much more bearable when things speed up and he can attack closer to the basket. We obviously lose size and presence on the interior, but spacing will be good and we just got to get better with moving the ball. Defensively we are going to be hurting no matter who is thrown out there. Ristic adds size and great rebounding, but slows things down on both ends. Tough call, if we can weather this storm (I still think we can get through this with just the one nonconference loss) and Zeus comes back healthy, that is some character building stuff and will make us tougher for conference play and beyond.
I doubt the regular style changes. Zeus isn't gone for the year, and Miller always is big on the development process reflecting the end goal. For instance, Miller will play normal rotations even against weaker teams that we're likely to blow out.

By necessity, we'll see smaller, more athletic lineups. Comanche will have to play a role similar to Ristic last year. Tollefsen will have to play the 4. Ristic will have to log starter minutes. I just don't expect huge stylistic changes. Miller is a packline guy, so we'll be working on the packline, not slapping on a full court press.
Wasnt meaning a press, just more tempo on offense. I guess the positive in all of this, Zeus missed pretty much all of the early practice season due to injury, so the team has plenty of practice without him
gumby

Post by gumby »

Karnowski had back spasms on the lovely bus ride to Pullman. He's been off to a slow start this year. Sabonis has been foul-prone. Zags were lethargic. I don't expect lethargic on Saturday.

If Anderson is hobbled, yikes. If not, I hope for a good battle.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Can we send them on a nice long bus tour before the game? I hear Pocatello is beautiful this time of year.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Rgdeuce, I'm not sure we can push the tempo very effectively out of the packline. There's a reason packline teams tend to play a slower tempo, and it is largely because there is very little gambling and defense leading to offense.

If it's there, we should push. I think we can effectively spread the floor in the halfcourt too. If Zaga throws Karnowski, Sabonis and Wiltjer out there (or even 2 of them) if we can draw them away from the rim and make them move laterally, we can create lanes and fouls.

We need to hit 3's though. If we shoot poorly from beyond the arc, we don't have a chance in my opinion.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Miller on Zeus:

The loss of Tarczewski until January doesn’t just hurt Miller on a basketball level. He indicated it also hurts personally.

“Kaleb has been a solid of a rock of a player that I have ever been around,” Miller said. “I think he’s missed a total of three practices in three years. He got hurt in the Michigan game during his sophomore year but other than that he’s been there every day. It’s actually awkward not to have him around.

“To the outside world, he just suffered an injury that’s not going to allow him to be around us the next four or six weeks but to us he really has already missed four week of practice, been in and out (with an ankle sprain in October). That hurt his timing, his rhythm, it’s hurt our team’s ability to get him the ball. That goes along with practice.

“But I feel terrible because you want to be able to point to Kaleb and say `Look what happened to Kaleb in his senior year:

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/a ... ium=direct" target="_blank
gumby

Post by gumby »

Plus, it will cost him the record for most starts/wins.

Miller says Anderson hasn't practiced in two weeks. Seven ankle sprains for the team since practices began.

So not only are a lot of these guys new to each other, they haven't been able to practice at full strength. Could explain the TOs.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:Plus, it will cost him the record for most starts/wins.

Miller says Anderson hasn't practiced in two weeks. Seven ankle sprains for the team since practices began.

So not only are a lot of these guys new to each other, they haven't been able to practice at full strength. Could explain the TOs.
This has been my thinking.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

gumby wrote:Karnowski had back spasms on the lovely bus ride to Pullman. He's been off to a slow start this year. Sabonis has been foul-prone. Zags were lethargic. I don't expect lethargic on Saturday.

I think we will battle nonetheless...ankles be damned.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Jefe wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Can I push everyone into suicide right now? The transfer who got away, Damion Lee, is averaging 19.3 5 boards and 2.5 assists for Louisville so far. 56% from the floor and 37 from three.
I choose to blame the piece of shit on pointguardu for this.
what was the backstory again on this?

and what is the status on ACE's proximity to the program currently? Did GB sick the cease and desist dogs on him yet?
ya what was the story? Ace posted he was coming here before anything was officially announced? Pissed off his parents so we got crossed off the list? Thats what I vaguely remember.
I don't think Lee was ever coming here, but Ajay Thakore vehemently called him to Arizona. Of course when it became evident he wasn't coming here he backtracked and blamed the prostitution scandal as the reason he ended up at Louisville, ignoring the fact that the guy who got prostitutes for L'ville players was coaching elsewhere when Lee visited.

Just blaming the piece of shit to blame him honestly. :lol:
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Should be interesting.

Cats must test depth

10 hours ago • By Bruce Pascoe

1. Throw Dusan Ristic and Chance Comanche into the fire. Upon saying he wouldn’t redshirt the slender but promising Comanche as a freshman this season, Miller noted that the Wildcats were only an injury or foul away from needing him.

But Thursday, Miller said Comanche would play in every game from here on out. It’s also clear that Ristic is likely to be the starting center in many matchups until Tarczewski returns.

Dusan and Chance have a big opportunity,” Miller said.

http://tucson.com/sports/basketball/col ... ff98d.html" target="_blank
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

That answers many questions. And hopefully this completely kills the "we should redshirt him" arguments for future players, at least for a while.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

In other words, stop bitching BC because you only always know half the story.

Instead, trust in CSM and enjoy the ride
gumby

Post by gumby »

Olsondogg wrote:
gumby wrote:Karnowski had back spasms on the lovely bus ride to Pullman. He's been off to a slow start this year. Sabonis has been foul-prone. Zags were lethargic. I don't expect lethargic on Saturday.

I think we will battle nonetheless...ankles be damned.
I'll be there! Rooting for the ankles and Rist-ics.

(Damn! That was horrible!)
gumby

Post by gumby »

The Circle of Strife

Recruit says he will announce in spring.
Hasn't announced in September/October/November/December.
Haul out the worry beads.
Start looking for clues he's already decided.
Look at posts of people who are waiting for spring announcement.
Call words in those posts "code."
Get hammered for being a worry wart.
Wait a week.
Ask, "So what's up with JJ?"
Get no answer.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:The Circle of Strife

Recruit says he will announce in spring.
Hasn't announced in September/October/November/December.
Start looking for clues he's already decided.
Look at posts of people who are waiting for spring announcement.
Call words in those posts "code."
Get hammered for being a worry wart.
Wait a week.
Ask, "So what's up with JJ?"
Get no answer.
The underrated aspect is that we're talking about 17 year olds too. Then we're acting like there is a perfectly logical evaluative process being made, when in reality it is a vision of a logical evaluative process through the glasses of an Arizona fan who obsesses over the latest emoji a 17 year old used on twitter instead of the evaluative process of a 17 year old.

Rigoletto La Dona e mobile: http://youtu.be/8A3zetSuYRg" target="_blank

If you squint hard, he looks like JJ.
gumby

Post by gumby »

I picked up on the code therein.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

As of 9:31 PM on Saturday December 5th, Arizona's "struggling defense" is #3 in KenPom...

We are spoiled!
eoe

Post by eoe »

luteformayor2 wrote:As of 9:31 PM on Saturday December 5th, Arizona's "struggling defense" is #3 in KenPom...

We are spoiled!
I haven't really seen many complaints about the D. It's more that we look like a clown-show on offense half the time and can't turn defensive wins into points on the other end (how many times have Allen and York missed supposed gimmes?)
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

eoe wrote:
luteformayor2 wrote:As of 9:31 PM on Saturday December 5th, Arizona's "struggling defense" is #3 in KenPom...

We are spoiled!
I haven't really seen many complaints about the D. It's more that we look like a clown-show on offense half the time and can't turn defensive wins into points on the other end (how many times have Allen and York missed supposed gimmes?)
Are you seriously trying to complain about something after today's win? Good lord, you must be a blast to hang out with
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

The offense will improve. Maybe not until we are fully healthy. (Anderson does not look 100% too) Until then, the defense will keep them in and win games.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

Remember when Miles Simon had to sit out half the year, and as a result JT got tons of run? Then Simon returns and we've got a team that goes 8 deep with a lot of versatility and experience. Took out 3 #1's in the tourney.

Ristic and Comanche will get much more time because of Zeus's injury. When Zeus returns, I hope Miller continues to use our other bigs, especially in the first half of games.

We did not have a single starter from last year on the floor, went into Gonzaga, and beat them even though we were horrible from the line. Let that sink in a bit. This might be a special year.

Go Cats!!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Hey Mainevent and Choo choo....#3 in AdjD.

Thoughts???
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Olsondogg wrote:Hey Mainevent and Choo choo....#3 in AdjD.

Thoughts???
It's early? I mean I guess we've been great at shutting down Options #3-12 on the opposing teams. Defending their #1 and some of the #2 guys however...blah. Honestly what's more surprising at this point a #3 AdjD or a #45 AdjO for a team being hailed as one of Miller's best offensive teams entering this season?
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Thoughts???
It's December.

And this is honestly stupid, you're talking like I want them to be a horrible defensive team.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Main Event wrote:

Thoughts???
It's December.

And this is honestly stupid, you're talking like I want them to be a horrible defensive team
Ditto