Kadeem Allen

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Alieberman

Kadeem Allen

Post by Alieberman »

He's gonna need his own thread.

He is going to be a huge factor on this year's team. Love what I am seeing so far.
CBCat

Re: Kadeem Allen

Post by CBCat »

Is good.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Much better than I expected. Really a natural PG, thought for sure he would be another Mark Lyons.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Honestly surprised so far. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

He was great tonight. Love him attacking the rim, couple of those drives had some very fancy footwork, finishes well too. I like him and Anderson on the pick and roll. His passing was really solid and I got hard that one time he fed Tarc in the low post, Tarc passes it back out to Kadeem and Kadeem immediately fired a laser back in to him like, "No, you got this lets go." He obviously gets it and its been a long time since ive seen something like that.

Great defender too, great hands, will block your shot if you dont know how to use your body on a drive and go lazy on the layup. Exceeding expectations bigtime.
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

Most of you guys follow HS basketball. I've loved the JUCO game forever. I said when he was signed that despite his gaudy offensive numbers that he was a great defender. He also played PG his Frosh year at Hutch.
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:Really a natural PG
I don't know about that, I still think he's a better SG naturally, but definitely at the moment he's the best we have at the position and sadly by each game it's not getting any closer.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Kadeem Allen plays hard all the time. Bigger than PJC, stronger, and gets
into the paint. He seems more confident with each game, and has pretty good court vision. Pretty cool.

13 pts, 4 rebs, 5 asts, 2 stls

http://www.si.com/game/10393841/box-score" target="_blank
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

He isn't a TJ McConnell but who is. Watching him last night, if I had no clue about the kid and was a Pacific fan I never would have guessed he was a natural 2.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

This kid is incredibly good. Weak from 3, but strong in every other area. PJC is also very good, but Kadeem deserves the start.

Most important thing is this: With Kadeem and Parker this team will always be in capable hands. It is not one or the other, but both. They both push the ball and the pace all game long. Talk about wearing out the opposition and getting easy baskets ourselves. PJC sets up his teammates for 3's, Kadeem sets up his teammates for slams.

As the freshmen mature and get more acclimated to the college game, this team will be strong 1-10. Let the Wear Down continue! This team does not depend on any one player (though Anderson must get the best unnoticed numbers of any player I have ever seen!), which makes them more difficult to defend.

Go Cats!!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

He's no TJ, but he's no Mark Lyons either. A true combo.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Sweet game last night.

Man is on a clear uptrend from Red/Blue to Chico to now Pacific. In his first two he showed us quicks, speed, D activity and some shakiness here and there. Now it's coming together----a great trend and sign.

I especially liked Kadeem's vision last night. Dude sees floor!

In addition to adding to our developing PG wealth/depth, I love the prospect of a good number of Kadeem, Gabe and Zo backcourt/wing matchups vs small teams and even bigger, but clearly slower teams. Running, shooting, pestering---yeah.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Thumb's up. Had a terrific game.
Right where I want to be.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

He is our PG for the next two years and I feel good about that.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:He is our PG for the next two years and I feel good about that.
The whole transfer-PG thing seems to be working out pretty well for Miller. Not sure where this leaves PJC. He'll either have to be content as a solid backup PG or he may decide to take his talents elsewhere. I like PJC and think he'll eventually be a very good college player.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:He is our PG for the next two years and I feel good about that.
The whole transfer-PG thing seems to be working out pretty well for Miller. Not sure where this leaves PJC. He'll either have to be content as a solid backup PG or he may decide to take his talents elsewhere. I like PJC and think he'll eventually be a very good college player.

No matter where PJC goes he will be short. Too bad there is no Div IAA for basketball.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
I think it's up to PJC. I have difficulty seeing him unseating Allen unless Allen regresses. PJC is a solid guy, but his role will be limited by Kadeem.

If he stays, a backup on a (knock on wood) top 5-10 team is not a bad thing. Having a steady backup PG will be a boon for us. That said, I would not fault PJC if it becomes clear he's a backup and wants to get a shot at a starting spot elsewhere. I hope he stays and is comfortable with the idea that he's not being slighted.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PJC also has to consider that Justin Simon might take over #2 PG once he gets up to speed. Simon has 8" on PJC.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

When you're as small as PJC, the only way you can really make a splash playing elite college basketball is by being very good at something: shooting, breaking down a defense, getting steals, etc. PJC is decent at some things; not yet sure if he's "very good" at anything. Our smaller PGs -- Wise, Gardner -- were very good shooters, for instance.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Beachcat97 wrote:When you're as small as PJC, the only way you can really make a splash playing elite college basketball is by being very good at something: shooting, breaking down a defense, getting steals, etc. PJC is decent at some things; not yet sure if he's "very good" at anything. Our smaller PGs -- Wise, Gardner -- were very good shooters, for instance.
He was evaluated with the highest ratings on everything that a point guard does. He was a 4-star rather than a 5-star because his size limits his upside at the next level. At this point, he's just not playing; he's trying not to screw up. He needs to step up into the role that the scouts and now his coaches know he's capable of, but he's lost his confidence to do so. More than shouldering the load of his expected role, he may just be rattled by what Kadeem Allen brings in practice. Neither he nor anyone else seems to have seen that coming, because Kadeem was on the scouting team last year and at the 2, while TJ and Allen went after it at the 1. PJC's underperformance and Allen's surprise performance may not be unrelated.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PJC's size would be less of an issue if Allen hadn't come out looking so good on defense by (in part) showing his size and physical strength. Kadeem has looked really good on D, and PJC just can't match his tools.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:PJC's size would be less of an issue if Allen hadn't come out looking so good on defense by (in part) showing his size and physical strength. Kadeem has looked really good on D, and PJC just can't match his tools.
That may be true but it's also possible that, if PJC were to up to his potential, the two could be on the court together, with the advantages of Allen intact and even amplified by being able to focus more on scoring.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Longhorned wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:PJC's size would be less of an issue if Allen hadn't come out looking so good on defense by (in part) showing his size and physical strength. Kadeem has looked really good on D, and PJC just can't match his tools.
That may be true but it's also possible that, if PJC were to up to his potential, the two could be on the court together, with the advantages of Allen intact and even amplified by being able to focus more on scoring.
Exactly, and this is something we will see, IMO, if PJC begins to turn the corner with his play (can you turn the corner after 1 game? Is there even a corner or is it a roundabout?). Furthermore, a lineup with PJC and Allen playing well should also make Pitts look good (good fit at the 3 with those guys).
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned wrote:

What was the +/- when both were on the floor? Someone seems to know how to get this information.

Momo Jones actually did better at the 2 for Iona than he did at the 1 for UA.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

The curve for PJC is gonna be a little lower. Nic Wise was a disaster his freshman season. I mean, he simply didn't belong on the floor during important playing time.
His sophomore year was better and by his junior season, he was a completely different player. PJC is likely more in this mold. Unless he's an absolute star, I'm not comfortable having such a small PG on the floor for a team with final four aspirations. PJC can't just be an okay Pac 12 point guard. Maybe at Oregon State or ASU, but not Arizona. Unless he really improves, Miller can't afford to have him on the floor and expect to go far in March.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:
I agree they could play together, but then the question becomes who else sits. Gabe? Trier? To a lesser extent, Pitts and Simon? Moving Allen to the wing only drops him into the most hotly contested minutes fight.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
I agree they could play together, but then the question becomes who else sits. Gabe? Trier? To a lesser extent, Pitts and Simon? Moving Allen to the wing only drops him into the most hotly contested minutes fight.
Thats a bench lineup that works with the rotation currently, IMO.

PJC
Allen
Pitts
Tollefson
Tarc/Ristic

Plenty of spacing for PJC and Allen to attack, Ristic to drop the ball off to and Tollefson and Pitts to shoot off kickouts.

More of a lineup that sees the floor for 2-3 minutes each half while York, Trier and Anderson rest.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Clip, I don't disagree about PJC seeing time, more that it seems increasingly like it is hard to have him get extended time...which I say as PJC enters the game.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

4 pts 5 rebs 5 assts 3 stls

Nice numbers in an ugly game. The steals looked easy.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

HiCat wrote:4 pts 5 rebs 5 assts 3 stls

Nice numbers in an ugly game. The steals looked easy.
I'm starting to believe he's a true pg. Between that and PJC responding well to the competition with stronger games, despite the ugliness of NW State, things are not that bad.
baconus66

Post by baconus66 »

Kadeem Allen reminds me of Kevin Parrom a little. The kind of guy that isn't going to have huge stats in any one category but will fill up the box score with a little bit of everything and bring toughness and energy to the court. I would like to see him become the vocal leader of the team and I think once he gets a little more game experience we will see that.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Allen was my favorite part of the NW State game.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Wonder how bad he's hurt. Can't be down him, Tarc, Smith and whatever the issue is with Pitts along with Anderson having a gimpy ankle. 8 scholarship players left.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:Wonder how bad he's hurt. Can't be down him, Tarc, Smith and whatever the issue is with Pitts along with Anderson having a gimpy ankle. 8 scholarship players left.
Hopefully not terrible. Looked like a simple ankle twist without too much weight on it, so not the type of thing that is usually bad.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

ASUHATER! wrote:Wonder how bad he's hurt. Can't be down him, Tarc, Smith and whatever the issue is with Pitts along with Anderson having a gimpy ankle. 8 scholarship players left.
His defense on Harris in the 2nd half was incredible.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Yeah, am really stressing over Kadeem now.....he's someone we can't afford to lose. As soon as anyone has an update please post it. Damn injuries, why is God pissed off at us this year????
gumby

Post by gumby »

That sucked. York looked hobbled, too.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

gumby wrote:That sucked. York looked hobbled, too.
yup, zo just mentioned in the postgame presser that york's banged up also
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
gumby

Post by gumby »

Need a new brand of shoe.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

gumby wrote:Need a new brand of shoe.
Damn, everyone is getting hurt this year. Even Rondae is out and had surgery. Somebody put a voodoo curse on our athletic department? First football, now this?
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

rondae used to always slip and skid
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I commented in the NBA thread bout our players and former players bad luck with long term foot and ankle injuries. Bash, Rondae, AG, Zeus. Andersons been dealing w his and now hopefully Kadeems isnt bad.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Throwing this out there, but maybe our coaches are practicing the guys too hard, for too many months out of the year, pushing their young bodies to the limit that makes them more susceptible to injury? Landing on an ankle or twisting an ankle, no way around that, it happens regardless of training and is gonna hurt when you do it, but have to wonder if the yearlong training is taking its toll. Seeing the same thing in the NFL. Heck, go train yourself in the gym hard for a month, bound to pick up a training injury just doing that.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Its just shit luck. All it is. I have my theory on low top shoes that are so prominent now, but ive heard people swear up and down that low tops arent any worse than midcut or high tops for ankles. If I played in guard shoes I had to use ankle braces, and I practiced in big man shoes, so i dont know how these guys play in lows. Miller said last week hes never had this many injuries in his coaching career, and theyve had more this year than his whole time at Arizona combined. Doubt much has changed other than the players.

Basketball players have been playing prettt much year round for a long time. When they arent in official season, they are in the gym and/or playing in other leagues or travel teams.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Miller says it's the most injuries he's had to deal with. This team isn't being worked any harder than his others.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Rule #39.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gumby wrote: This team isn't being worked any harder than his others.
Exactly. Practices are limited by the ncaa.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

KaibabKat wrote:Rule #39.

"There is no such thing as coincidence"
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion