UA Basketball 2015-2016 Discussion Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Olsondogg

Re: UA Basketball 2015-2016 Discussion Thread

Post by Olsondogg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:Hey Mainevent and Choo choo....#3 in AdjD.

Thoughts???
It's early? I mean I guess we've been great at shutting down Options #3-12 on the opposing teams. Defending their #1 and #2 guys however...blah. Honestly what's more surprising at this point a #3 AdjD or a #45 AdjO for a team being hailed as one of Miller's best offensive teams entering this season?

I'm sure "its early" when the rank doesn't support your thoughts on defense, and that would have been the case if we were ranked outside of top 20 right? Uh huh.

Change the focus to offense or whatever.

You both made idiotic comments about the defense including "erecting a statue" if we were in top 20. I'll call you out on that shit all year.

That was honestly stupid.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

We're 1/4 of the way through the season. Not that early.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

It is when you make idiotic comments.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

No you getting overly butthurt about anything not pro Arizona is stupid.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Olsondogg wrote:It is when you make idiotic comments.
I was agreeing with you
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Main Event wrote:No you getting overly butthurt about anything not pro Arizona is stupid.

You should erect a statue about it.

Who's butt hurt? Stand by your comments.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

I'm standing by it, I think you just look like a clown. You also said this offense would be better, you don't see me mentioning you when it's not even top 40 after a huge W do you?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Main Event wrote:I'm standing by it, I think you just look like a clown. You also said this offense would be better, you don't see me mentioning you when it's not even top 40 after a huge W do you?
Ditto.

This is the guy accusing me previously that I'd come in here and gloat if I were right in an argument previously. Calling the kettle black definitely looks like his MO. I hope Arizona does have a top 20 AdjD and just like Main Event said it'd quite arguably be Miller's best coaching job to date if this team accomplishes that in the end. However, I don't think it's much to go on a limb and say that it's early at this point, especially when outside of Boise State, Providence, & Gonzaga the combined record of the teams we've played so far are 5-27. We haven't endured a barn burner of a schedule or anything at this point to say the least.

If Arizona finishes top 20 in the AdjD then I'll be one happy man and I'll be sure to give you the biggest of pats on the back in the history of the internet OlsonDogg. We just won a big game yesterday, act like it instead of attacking people for their opinions. It's not as if every Sean Miller coached team has been in the top 20 AdjD or something for you to say our opinion on the matter is "stupid" and we deserve you calling us out on it every day we're in the top 20 in AdjD.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Main Event wrote:I'm standing by it, I think you just look like a clown. You also said this offense would be better, you don't see me mentioning you when it's not even top 40 after a huge W do you?

Getting called a clown by a guy making posts about erecting statues is one of the coolest things ever. The two of you jumping on me for having an opinion that wasn't that outlandish, and then going personal on the attack when reminded of it later is awesome.

Let's focus on something else though. Rather than a clown comment about being bad defensively and erecting statues if we happened to be ok defensively.

You guys are fantastic. Thanks for doing what I knew you'd do.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Olsondogg wrote:

Getting called a clown by a guy making posts about erecting statues is one of the coolest things ever. The two of you jumping on me for having an opinion that wasn't that outlandish, and then going personal on the attack when reminded of it later is awesome.

Let's focus on something else though. Rather than a clown comment about being bad defensively and erecting statues if we happened to be ok defensively.

You guys are fantastic. Thanks for doing what I knew you'd do.
You're the coolest guy on the internet that's for sure and you're welcome. I guess?
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

It's outlandish to say it's not going to be a top 20 defensive team because of the guys we lost and then throwing in a joke but it's not outlandish at all to say it'll be the best offensive team in the Miller era neither of which are correct right now lol Got it.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Main Event wrote:It's outlandish to say it's not going to be a top 20 defensive team because of the guys we lost and then throwing in a joke but it's not outlandish at all to say it'll be the best offensive team in the Miller era neither of which are correct right now lol Got it.
When did I say this exactly?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Is there a language barrier with the foreign guys or bb iq?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Saw a stat where Arizona is best in the nation in limiting offensive rebounds. That's a huge part of what's going to make this team a success this year.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

84Cat wrote:Is there a language barrier with the foreign guys or bb iq?
It's more the demands of the center position in Miller's system. Dusan obviously does good things with the ball and his back to the basket in the block. But he needs to set high screens and move better without the ball.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Chicat wrote:Saw a stat where Arizona is best in the nation in limiting offensive rebounds. That's a huge part of what's going to make this team a success this year.

Arizona has 230 defensive boards and has given up 50 offensive boards.

So outta the rebounds available on the defensive end, we've gotten 82% of them.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Led the nation in that last year (or close). To continue that while losing four starters is impressive.
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:
It's more the demands of the center position in Miller's system. Dusan obviously does good things with the ball and his back to the basket in the block. But he needs to set high screens and move better without the ball.
And pass out of the double team.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

I forgot Zeus was on pace to become the winningest player in AZ history. If he comes back for ASU, he has 18 games to get it done

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2015 ... source=RSS" target="_blank
Wins record in doubt for injured Tarczewski

For three seasons, Arizona center Kaleb Tarczewski, of Claremont, N.H., displayed an invulnerability worthy of his nickname.

The 7-footer known as “Zeus” missed only two games until this season. But the Wildcats’ full-time starting center is now out for upwards of a month with a left foot injury.

Arizona is ranked No. 12 in the latest national rankings. The university said recently that an MRI found Tarczewski suffered a stress reaction and strained muscle in his left foot on Nov. 26 against Santa Clara. He didn’t play in Arizona’s 68-63 win over Gonzaga on Saturday.

At the earliest, Tarczewski might return for the Wildcats’ Pac-12 opener at Arizona State on Jan. 3. Just four days after that, Arizona will play at UCLA, which is also strong in the post, and the Wildcats will have five of their first seven conference games on the road.

That’s bad luck for Arizona, and for Zeus, who is in jeopardy of falling short of becoming the all-time winningest player in Arizona basketball history.

Tarczewski needs to be a part of 13 more UA wins to break the record, a mark currently held by Matt Muehlebach, who played in 109 wins from 1988-91. That means if he doesn’t return until mid-January, he could need until the postseason to break the record. Players must appear in a win, not just sit on the bench, to have it count toward the record.

Also, if he doesn’t return until late January, Tarczewski could be passed up by fellow senior Gabe York in pursuit of the record. York has been a part of 86 UA wins, 11 fewer than Tarczewski because he played sparingly as a freshman.

Because of Tarczewski’s track record of good health and the Wildcats’ deep NCAA tournament runs in recent seasons, he once looked like a lock to break the record by January.

Before this season, Tarczewski had only one injury that kept him off the floor: He sprained his right ankle against Michigan in December 2013 and missed ensuing games with Southern and Northern Arizona (and he actually probably could have played in them, but instead sat out largely for precautionary reasons).

Tarczewski has cited the wins record and the fact that he’s enrolled in the Eller business school among the reasons he returned for his senior season instead of pursing an pro career last spring, but his senior season has been cursed so far.

Tarczewski missed nearly four weeks of preseason practices after spraining his right foot, and UA coach Sean Miller said it was an adjustment for him and his teammates to have him back over the Wildcats’ first few games.

Then, just as the Wildcats were playing better with him during their fifth game of the season, Tarczewski went down in the second half against Santa Clara in the first round of Wooden Legacy bracket play.

“We’re used to having him around,” Miller said. “To not have him, nobody has to tell me it’s different. It’s his size alone that dictates a lot of positive things for the team.”
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Best answer is to get Zeus 6 extra wins in the tourney.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

gumby wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
And pass out of the double team.
I know he tried that last game...didn't really go well.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I've been noticing what Miller said about Dusan. What he does reminds me of my freshman year of high school, myself and several others had never played true organized ball up to that point. We had no concept of where to be on offense, how when and where to move without the ball, the importance of spacing, ball movement, screening, moving, etc. Our coach was Roland Lavetter, who won multiple state titles with those Fat Lever Pueblo teams, and he would lose his mind. We were doing a run through in practice and he told one of our most talented players to "duck under the basket." The dude literally took a few steps, got below the rim, and ducked like he was bowing in karate. In another instance we were walking through a full court press break in practice. Same kid got the ball off the in bounds pass. Coach told him to "look up," and the kid looked up at the lights on the gym's ceiling, rather than looking up the court. :lol: Needless to say, all that talent sat on the bench almost the whole year, and he reminds me a lot of Dusan. Thing is, Dusan already has a year here under his belt, and a lot of other experience with quality coaches and teams before he got here.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

To be fair, Dusan has been speaking/understanding english for under 2 years... just sayin.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Olsondogg wrote:To be fair, Dusan has been speaking/understanding english for under 2 years... just sayin.
I get that, but a whiteboard and video is universal.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Olsondogg wrote:To be fair, Dusan has been speaking/understanding english for under 2 years... just sayin.

What's the Serbian word for pass?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

UAEebs86 wrote:

What's the Serbian word for pass?

That's one of the problems. There isn't a word.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

If we could graft Dusan's hands and shotmaking ability in close onto Zeus and Zeus's hands and shotmaking ability onto Dusan, we would wind up with one NBA allstar and one reincarnation of Kyryl.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Revised predictions for remaining games, provided Zeus returns by the L.A. trip (wins in bold):

Dec. 9, 2015 Fresno State
Dec. 13, 2015 Missouri
Dec. 16, 2015 Northern Arizona
Dec. 19, 2015 UNLV
Dec. 22, 2015 Long Beach St.
Jan. 3, 2016 at Arizona State

Jan. 7, 2016 at UCLA (think we drop one of the L.A. games and this seems more likely, though SC has been playing well)
Jan. 9, 2016 at Southern Cal
Jan. 14, 2016 Washington
Jan. 16, 2016 Wash. State
Jan. 21, 2016 at Stanford

Jan. 23, 2016 at California (Cal will be up for this one, and I think we drop a close game)
Jan. 28, 2016 Oregon
Jan. 30, 2016 Oregon State
Feb. 3, 2016 at Wash. State
Feb. 6, 2016 at Washington

Feb. 12, 2016 UCLA
Feb. 14, 2016 Southern Cal
Feb. 17, 2016 Arizona State

Feb. 24, 2016 at Colorado
Feb. 27, 2016 at Utah (I think we drop one on this road trip, too, and Utah feels more likely)
Mar. 3, 2016 California
Mar. 5, 2016 Stanford

Pac champs; #1 seed in Pac tourney; #3 seed in NCAA tourney
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

How do we only get a 3 seed if we are a power 5 champ with 4 losses, all to tournament teams likely in the top 25? I don't know how that isn't a 2 or even borderline 1 resume.

Edit: I don't think it matters bc we drop at least one game we shouldn't in Pac play. It's inevitable.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:How do we only get a 3 seed if we are a power 5 champ with 4 losses, all to tournament teams likely in the top 25? I don't know how that isn't a 2 or even borderline 1 resume.

Edit: I don't think it matters bc we drop at least one game we shouldn't in Pac play. It's inevitable.
If we meet or exceed what I've predicted, it'll be a #2 or #3. I went with #3 because you're right: we always drop one in the Pac we're not supposed to (even though that's not reflected in my predictions).
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

I don't share the optimism for this season, especially with Tarc's return uncertain and Ryan Anderson nursing a bad wheel. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me to see us drop a game (or two) at home. Oregon/UCLA are possibilities. Roadies at Colorado, Cal, UCLA, USC & ASU are all gonna be tough. Lotta mine fields out there this season for a team that looked pretty shaky in Los Angeles over Thanksgiving & the first half vs. Gonzaga. We'll have our moments good & bad this season. It's the nature of our roster, which kinda reminds me of the '99 season (Terry's senior year).
gumby

Post by gumby »

Parker and Tolly, 2 for13 off the bench. Surprised at how poorly Tollefsen has shot.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Miller said in his 12 years of coaching he hasn't seen this many injuries before. Same thing RichRod said...

This must be some sort of record having the football AND basketball team so banged up in the same year.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

AZCatGirl wrote:Miller said in his 12 years of coaching he hasn't seen this many injuries before. Same thing RichRod said...

This must be some sort of record having the football AND basketball team so banged up in the same year.
.......and the season has barely started! :-(
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

gumby wrote:Parker and Tolly, 2 for13 off the bench. Surprised at how poorly Tollefsen has shot.
Tolly just needs to stop shooting beyond the arc. He teases u with that one and will miss the next four.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

^^^^ his misses weren't even close tonight.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
gumby wrote:Parker and Tolly, 2 for13 off the bench. Surprised at how poorly Tollefsen has shot.
Tolly just needs to stop shooting beyond the arc. He teases u with that one and will miss the next four.
He needs to shoot only off penetration and kick. He shoots 3's off ball rotation around the perimeter and never gets his feet set and misses left or right. He needs to start shooting only when he can step into the shot and work to get a better shot off rotation.

It's killing me.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

carolinacat wrote:I don't share the optimism for this season, especially with Tarc's return uncertain and Ryan Anderson nursing a bad wheel. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me to see us drop a game (or two) at home. Oregon/UCLA are possibilities. Roadies at Colorado, Cal, UCLA, USC & ASU are all gonna be tough. Lotta mine fields out there this season for a team that looked pretty shaky in Los Angeles over Thanksgiving & the first half vs. Gonzaga. We'll have our moments good & bad this season. It's the nature of our roster, which kinda reminds me of the '99 season (Terry's senior year).
Yeah. I've probably overestimated what we can do in Pac play; the road schedule will be brutal (although we did win @Zaga and don't have to go to Oregon this season).

The home game vs. UNLV will be tough, too.

Seems like there are at least five teams that win the Pac: AZ, Oregon, Utah, Cal, UCLA
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Tollefsen has awful mechanics. Look how far out his right elbow is.

As TJ found out, it's a lot different trying to hit 3 point shots at this level.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote:

As TJ found out, it's a lot different trying to hit 3 point shots at this level.
And we don't really need Tollefsen shooting threes, do we? Kadeem, Alonzo, and Gabe should be our main three taking those shots.

MT needs to crash the offensive glass and score near the basket. That's where he's done the most damage this year.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

You guys are right. I've given up on thinking Tolly is going to be reliable from 3 (24 hours after I defended him, haha) and it is because of when he takes the shots. Just terrible shot selection, forcing threes when there isn't any need to. The only one he hit, which looked real nice, was in perfect rhythm when he was wide open in the corner. That is the ONLY time he should be shooting threes unless it's late in the shot clock.

But I haven't given up on him being important to this team, he and Anderson crashing the boards is a tough combo for opposing teams
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:

That is what it is, but it isn't always fatal to being a good shooter.

gumby

Post by gumby »

An open shot is an open shot, and he could make them prior to this year. Pitts suddenly can't hit either.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I get that people are mad about Tollefesen taking threes, but the dude could make em in the past, and will in the future. Things have a way of evening out.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

TJ 3 PT %

Duquesne
2011 40%
2012 43%

UA
2014 36%
2015 32%

Same ball, same hoop, same distance, different level of competition.

TJ also had poor mechanics on his 3 point shot, starts shooting it from too low.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Merkin wrote:

That is what it is, but it isn't always fatal to being a good shooter.

Those mechanics stem from being a kid who is not strong enough to hoist 3-pointers but doing so anyway. Some can make it work without a change, others can't.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote:I get that people are mad about Tollefesen taking threes, but the dude could make em in the past, and will in the future. Things have a way of evening out.
That's why he needs to take better shots. The better the shots, the more likely more start going down. The more that start going down, the higher his confidence gets.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Curry shot from the waist in eight grade. Dad broke down the shot over the summer. Stephen says he couldn't hit from outside the paint initially. But he stuck with it.

Too bad Dell wasn't Shakur's dad.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Merkin wrote:TJ 3 PT %

Duquesne
2011 40%
2012 43%

UA
2014 36%
2015 32%

Same ball, same hoop, same distance, different level of competition.

TJ also had poor mechanics on his 3 point shot, starts shooting it from too low.
Two examples, but there are JCs who can hit right away. There are freshmen who can hit right away. If competition is the reason they can't hit open shots, they better not have NBA aspirations.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

gumby wrote:Curry shot from the waist in eight grade. Dad broke down the shot over the summer. Stephen says he couldn't hit from outside the paint initially. But he stuck with it.

Too bad Dell wasn't Shakur's dad.
Worst. Looking. Shot. Ever.