Pitts

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: Pitts

Post by Merkin »

az91 wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
BBQ wildcat wrote:
Dunno, just trying to figure out what could be the "personal issue", when he seems so engaged on the bench. Really doesn't seem like a transfer. And, if it were a serious health problem with a family member, why would he even be here, instead of with family, if he wasn't going to play anyway.
Well, I was an wreck for about a week when I found out my father had cancer. I still showed up to work because I had bills to pay, but given the option I may have taken some time away too. Just an example of something that could tear you apart inside but an instance where you wouldn't fly back home to be with them during their last days. Still not buying the transfer thing either, I doubt Miller would be letting him practice/shoot around with the team while wearing Arizona gear if he was gone. It seemed to be in good spirits on the bench from what everyone else is saying, so I am still guessing it is something related to his mental health and the stress and grind of being in the game is too much for him right now with an already full plate. Who knows, maybe basketball itself is wearing on him mentally and he needed some time off to focus on his academics during finals.
Pascoe offered this thought about Pitt's situation in an article today: "Miller’s stated limitation might suggest that it’s an issue covered by the Family Educational Rights to Privacy Act – which can restrict coaches from commenting about academics or health issues unless the student approves."

FERPA is only educational records such as grades. HIPAA covers the medical issues.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

FMLA could be another reason why he can't comment, but I'm not sure if student atheists are covered/considered eligible.
gumby

Post by gumby »

:lol:

He doesn't have a prayer.
Right where I want to be.
baconus66

Post by baconus66 »

Pure pointless speculation, but potentially Pitts has a health condition such as a heart issue that could potentially render him unable to ever return to the court, but further testing is required to determine the severity. Hopefully not the case but it makes as much sense as anything I think.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:FMLA could be another reason why he can't comment, but I'm not sure if student atheists are covered/considered eligible.
That seems like a huge 1st Amendment problem.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Lol...dammit autocorrect!
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Simon is a high reward, high risk guy, Pitts is the opposite.
Good call. In tight conference games, at this point at least, who are you going to trust more?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:FMLA could be another reason why he can't comment, but I'm not sure if student atheists are covered/considered eligible.
Yeah, he can comment. FERPA is about others commenting. For instance, if the school wants to publicize good grades, they check with student first.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

gumby wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Yeah, he can comment. FERPA is about others commenting. For instance, if the school wants to publicize good grades, they check with student first.
From this morning's Daily Star:
So what's up with Elliott Pitts? For the second straight game, the junior forward came out in team gear for early workouts – and then returned for the final pregame warmups wearing khakis and sitting out again.

Miller said the status of Pitts’ “personal issue” remains the same and that he “can’t expand beyond what I’ve said.”

Miller’s stated limitation might suggest that it’s an issue covered by the Family Educational Rights to Privacy Act – which can restrict coaches from commenting about academics or health issues unless the student approves.

“He’s dealing with a personal issue and until that’s resolved his status won’t change,” Miller said.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Simon is a high reward, high risk guy, Pitts is the opposite.
Good call. In tight conference games, at this point at least, who are you going to trust more?
I say that in the way that I would love to see Simon seize a spot bc he has so much upside. Right now, though, Elliott is the guy I would plug in against the big time teams in the 8th-9th man slot. We don't need a star there.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I thought it was more about the RFRA than FERPA.

Ok, I've ridden that for long enough.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

baconus66 wrote:Pure pointless speculation, but potentially Pitts has a health condition such as a heart issue that could potentially render him unable to ever return to the court, but further testing is required to determine the severity. Hopefully not the case but it makes as much sense as anything I think.
That fits in with his being on the bench cheering during the Mizzou game better than the other speculations that I have heard.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Khakis. Maybe he's replacing Jake from State Farm.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

He sat out just after finals week, maybe he didnt keep his grades up and doesnt want it public? If so, we may not have him until ASU or much later

How long was Simon out? 3-4 weeks?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Jefe wrote:He sat out just after finals week, maybe he didnt keep his grades up and doesnt want it public? If so, we may not have him until ASU or much later

How long was Simon out? 3-4 weeks?
Finals week is currently going on until Friday
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Simon missed all of the November, December games. At least.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Simon's first game back was the first ASU game in Tempe, I want to say Jan. 2.

He took over with spin moves in the second half. We became a different team.
gumby

Post by gumby »

My recollection was a rocky re-entry for Simon. We went 11-7.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

gumby wrote:My recollection was a rocky re-entry for Simon. We went 11-7.
I remember Majerus saying that he thought that we were better when Terry played than when Miles played. I thought he was maybe just trying to stir the pot. The NBA agreed with him. Miles got a cup of coffee and JET is still there.

Concerning Miles, I could never understand why the D League MVP did not get called up for a 2 week injury replacement. If anyone has facts or a good theory, I'd love to hear it.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

DiehardDave37 wrote:
I remember Majerus saying that he thought that we were better when Terry played than when Miles played. I thought he was maybe just trying to stir the pot. The NBA agreed with him. Miles got a cup of coffee and JET is still there.

Concerning Miles, I could never understand why the D League MVP did not get called up for a 2 week injury replacement. If anyone has facts or a good theory, I'd love to hear it.
Miles had a terrific all around game....could do a little bit of everything and make others around him better. But he wasn't "great" at anything, just good. And his outside shot was always suspect, especially on the NBA level. At the college level, he could knock down open jumpers. But his release point closed the margin of error. He required more space just to get an open look, space that just isn't there on the next level unless you're ungodly quick and can separate from a defender. In the NBA, you don't have to be a a good all around player, but you need a specific skill set that sets you apart from others. There are a lot of players like Miles whose skills just don't translate to the NBA. They have great college careers but never translate on the next level: Ed O'Bannon, Khalid El Alamin, Mateen Cleeves, etc...

I think a lot of what a player does in his pro career also has a lot to do with the team that drafts him. It has to be a good fit for a borderline player to make it. The Spurs are great at seeing things in players that other clubs don't recognize.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

DiehardDave37 wrote:

I also believed Jason Terry was better than Miles Simon. Dickerson too (although he had a tendency to disappear in big games). I get reamed for believing this, but I stand by it.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Simon's game didn't translate well into the NBA. That little floater which was so effective in college would've gotten swatted out of the arena, and without that he wouldn't have been able to create his own shot. Dickerson, Bibby and Terry all had a lot more athleticism on their sides.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Catintheheat wrote:
DiehardDave37 wrote:

I also believed Jason Terry was better than Miles Simon. Dickerson too (although he had a tendency to disappear in big games). I get reamed for believing this, but I stand by it.
A lot of people did. But like last year with the cats no one thought RHJ was the 6th best player on the team he just provided that spark of the bench like JeT. York in no world is a better NBA prospect than Rondae.
DiehardDave37

Re: Miles and Terry

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Much thanks to Carolina Cat, Cat in (the) Heat,Puerco and Merkin, That helped. :)
It is so nice to finally be back on a board with knowledgeable posters who actually answer honest questions with info and not insults.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

DiehardDave37 wrote:Much thanks to Carolina Cat, Cat in (the) Heat,Puerco and Merkin, That helped. :)
It is so nice to finally be back on a board with knowledgeable posters who actually answer honest questions with info and not insults.
That tempts me to post an insult just for irony's sake, but I won't. The only thing I'd add was that he was also small for a shooting guard in the NBA. Being short and not particularly athletic is a bad combo as an NBA 2 guard. Terry was also on the short side, but quick and a better long range shooter.

People forget that Dickerson was close to NBA all-star consideration before his injury issues. He easily could have had a Sean Elliott level career in the league if he had stayed healthy. There was a lot of perimeter talent on that team.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Miles 6'5 or was that just his "playing height?" 6'5 is pretty much the average height for an NBA 2, especially in the late 90s. Dickerson was also 6'5 if I'm not mistaken and prior to his rash of injuries was killing it in the NBA as you mentioned.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I've stood next to Simon multiple times and at best, he is as tall as I am and I am 6'3. I can't remember his listed height but sports reference lists him as 6'3. He was an undersized NBA 2 with a low release that wasn't super quick. I remember his release being a huge deal when he entered the draft.

And we can debate who was the best player all we want with hindsight and seeing everyone else have success and/or great extended careers in the league. The best player on that team at that time was Miles Simon. He was the alpha, he was a cold-blooded killer. Give me senior year Terry and 97 tournament Simon and I am still taking Simon every time and JT is the first one off the bench. Bibby was the best on the team the following year.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Miles 6'5 or was that just his "playing height?" 6'5 is pretty much the average height for an NBA 2, especially in the late 90s. Dickerson was also 6'5 if I'm not mistaken and prior to his rash of injuries was killing it in the NBA as you mentioned.
That was his listed height. I remember multiple predraft outlets listing him about where RG has him, in the 6'3is range. I don't think anyone had him above 6'4. Here's the best link I could find, but see the caveat at the bottom.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-dra ... er&sort=18" target="_blank
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Gotcha. Playing heights are so ridiculous.
gumby

Post by gumby »

I'm 5-11, but I post 6-8. Looong reach.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:I'm 5-11, but I post 6-8. Looong reach.
Huh. I must've had you confused with a different Green figurine.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

DiehardDave37 wrote:Much thanks to Carolina Cat, Cat in (the) Heat,Puerco and Merkin, That helped. :)
Oh don't worry, the insults will come eventually. It's only human nature ;)
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned wrote:

Seems to be taller than Iverson who stands 6'0", or so listed.

Puerco

Post by Puerco »

You're pretty cool, Dave, but everyone else around here sucks and knows nothing about basketball. :D The only positive is that everyone on all the other sites sucks worse.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Fishclamps wrote:
Oh don't worry, the insults will come eventually. It's only human nature ;)
No way. We respect the elderly.

:P
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Merkin wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

Seems to be taller than Iverson who stands 6'0", or so listed.

I wet myself here. Luckily, I'm absorbent.
DaddyO'Cat

Post by DaddyO'Cat »

Longhorned wrote:
HUUUULLLLKKK, SMAAASHHHH! Let's hope Zeus turns green come tourney time.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Meanwhile, back at Pitts ....
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Sunday's can be the Pitts
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

This has the smell of an unofficial academic screw up. My bet is that Elliott didn't do something he was supposed to or was getting a bad academic progress report and Miller sat him till the semester ends. I love speculating.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

We should know in about 3 weeks.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Well if he's transferring it probably would've been announced by now
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

ASUHATER! wrote:Well if he's transferring it probably would've been announced by now
Didn't say that. He is not transferring.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Anybody find it interesting that his roomie, Trey Mason has also been in civies as well.

Irish?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azcat49 wrote:Anybody find it interesting that his roomie, Trey Mason has also been in civies as well.

Irish?
I think he's hurt.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Irish27 wrote:We should know in about 3 weeks.
Taking a class over the winter break to maintain eligibility for the spring semester?

Not even sure if that's possible, but about 3 weeks should coincide with the start of the spring semester.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Monday's can be the Pitts too
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

eek...don't like the sounds of this.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

azcat49 wrote:Anybody find it interesting that his roomie, Trey Mason has also been in civies as well.

Irish?
Thanks for mentioning that. I missed it.
I did wonder why the new walk-on was getting garbage time and Trey wasn't. I was about to ask about him when I saw that someone picked Mason in RAP.
The plot thickens. My new guess is that they got into trouble together. :cry:
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

If it was something Pitts did, wouldn't it be announced as ""violating Department of Athletics policy" or "breaking team rules" instead of a "personal matter"?