Upcoming Road Trips: @ASSU, @UCLA, @USC

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Bangkok Wildcat

Re: Upcoming Road Trips: @ASSU, @UCLA, @USC

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Wow, that loss to UCLA really hurts coming from that little shit Alford BUT proud the Cats came back and fought hard down the stretch....they will learn from this one.

Bear Down!
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I think we'll play a lot better against USC. Guys are probably pissed off that they couldn't complete the comeback tonight.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Bangkok Wildcat

AZCatGirl wrote:I think we'll play a lot better against USC. Guys are probably pissed off that they couldn't complete the comeback tonight.
No way we drop that one now.....BTFD and Beat SC!
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

AZCatGirl wrote:I think we'll play a lot better against USC. Guys are probably pissed off that they couldn't complete the comeback tonight.
Must cover the 3 much better if we want to win that game.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Proud of the guys coming back. At least we had a shot at the end. Silver lining in all of this, we played defense like it was November 1st, werent good offensively For a lot of the game, and they couldnt miss. Dickhead wins it w a stepback three and hit another three to end the first half. On the road against a talented team in a tough place to play, when we are there at least. If that doesnt tell u this team has talent then i dont know what does.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

rgdeuce wrote:Proud of the guys coming back. At least we had a shot at the end. Silver lining in all of this, we played defense like it was November 1st, werent good offensively For a lot of the game, and they couldnt miss. Dickhead wins it w a stepback three and hit another three to end the first half. On the road against a talented team in a tough place to play, when we are there at least. If that doesnt tell u this team has talent then i dont know what does.
Agreed with all of this. I don't really buy into the idea of such a thing as a 'good' loss, but this was not a bad one.

Some 'teachable' lessons and some bright spots, not the least of which was the grit we showed down the stretch to make it a game to the wire. Zeus was a force, and Allen is getting better all the time.

Definitely room for improvement, but I am happy as I can be after losing to UCLA. although now we really need a win on Saturday. All I was hoping for coming into conference play was winning 2 of our first 3, and that is still achievable.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

i sure wish we had one final timeout in our pocket. 1.8 seconds isn't a lot of time but our guys couldn't adlib it. only zo and zeus scrambling down the floor. zo with the ball -- wise choice? down 3 with a couple of seconds left, who would you want to get the ball to? york?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

That was our best chance to get a shot off I think. Gabe isnt getting a clean look off a 3/4 court pass off a timeout. The real question is, was Trier fouled at the end? Miller thought so
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

rgdeuce wrote:That was our best chance to get a shot off I think. Gabe isnt getting a clean look off a 3/4 court pass off a timeout. The real question is, was Trier fouled at the end? Miller thought so
Looked like he got fouled trying to bring the ball up to take a 3. Looked like both defenders grabbed his arm. If they hadn't, the ball would have sailed. Instead, it was muffled----- as in having your arm held until you can push the ball through.

That said, it looked like a 5% shot.

Anyone with a replay able to get a close look at the play?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

It was hit down, whether arm or ball and Trier is the one who knocked it forward
mofo

Post by mofo »

Well for as bad as we got outplayed most of the game it's remarkable it came down to the wire. UCLA always seems to climax for games against us. I expect them now to lose to ASU Saturday.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

mofo wrote:Well for as bad as we got outplayed most of the game it's remarkable it came down to the wire. UCLA always seems to climax for games against us. I expect them now to lose to ASU Saturday.
This. Asu will beat them and Bryce will clang every three he takes.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

This season is a work in process. We are going to lose some. The response to the losses is the big thing. We responded well to our first L. Now we get to see how we respond to the second. I can't imagine SM ever being happy we gave up 87.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

50 -52% shooting by UCLA got the win. Arizona almost got the w in spite of playing from behind the whole game. Kadeem's play almost pulled it off in the end. Oh well..USC next

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaab/ev ... ore/top25/" target="_blank

side note:

Good to see PJC knock down a couple. Zeus looks strong and played hard.
Nice to see Simon running the court, damn he's fast. 8-)
Last edited by HiCat on Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Picked a really bad time to give up defending. Alford hit two shots like that against the Huskies, so it couldn't have been a surprise. Alford, Hamilton and Holiday outplayed their counterparts. Each had six assists, too. Arizona had 11 total.

Hedge defense sucked. Onward.
Right where I want to be.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Like Simon's energy but he needs to take it down a notch or two out there on offense lol. I appreciate the aggressiveness, but 1-5 from the floor, and a few times he was dribbling into or weaving in and out of traffic with his dribble and I was waiting for a turnover.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Agree. Like his confidence, but gotta pick your spots on this level, even if NBA dudes are in the crowd.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Sad that some of us can't tip the hat to the team and player who had a good game. We really going to use that excuse that it is their Super Bowl? Everyone except Kentucky and Duke and Wisconsin right?

The kid played well and hit a big shot. No fluke.

So does 97 need to change his post about scoring over 80 now? Or was it 90 points.

Tough game, gotta defend better, but there is time and motivation to do so before the games really count.

Saturday will be tough though.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:Like Simon's energy but he needs to take it down a notch or two out there on offense lol. I appreciate the aggressiveness, but 1-5 from the floor, and a few times he was dribbling into or weaving in and out of traffic with his dribble and I was waiting for a turnover.
Weirdly, it is one reason I love his potential. There is so much raw talent, and you have to believe that his game will mature. By his junior year, if he matures and grows, I salivate over what he could be. All his issues revolve around development that should hopefully be naturally occurring.
gumby

Post by gumby »

PHXCATS wrote:Sad that some of us can't tip the hat to the team and player who had a good game. We really going to use that excuse that it is their Super Bowl? Everyone except Kentucky and Duke and Wisconsin right?

The kid played well and hit a big shot. No fluke.

So does 97 need to change his post about scoring over 80 now? Or was it 90 points.

Tough game, gotta defend better, but there is time and motivation to do so before the games really count.

Saturday will be tough though.
We're just never going to measure up to you. Time to accept it.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Like Simon's energy but he needs to take it down a notch or two out there on offense lol. I appreciate the aggressiveness, but 1-5 from the floor, and a few times he was dribbling into or weaving in and out of traffic with his dribble and I was waiting for a turnover.
Weirdly, it is one reason I love his potential. There is so much raw talent, and you have to believe that his game will mature. By his junior year, if he matures and grows, I salivate over what he could be. All his issues revolve around development that should hopefully be naturally occurring.
Long term I love it too. Just not last night, against that team, as a wet behind the ears freshman who has had limited minutes to this point. It was like he forgot he was in college and playing at Pauley against UCLA. :lol:
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

PHXCATS wrote: Tough game, gotta defend better, but there is time and motivation to do so before the games really count.
Think we have been at that point since last weekend, bud
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Just need this one at USC which scares me to death with their backcourt. I think we will hammer them on the boards but they get a lot of shots up and we have struggled getting out on those shooters it seems.

I really like this team if we can hit our full stride and Miller has 16 more games to get them ready for tourney bball. I think he will be using that pine like the hammer it is. I expect a great defensive effort Saturday.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Long term I love it too. Just not last night, against that team, as a wet behind the ears freshman who has had limited minutes to this point. It was like he forgot he was in college and playing at Pauley against UCLA. :lol:
I don't mind that, it just has to be reined in. I watched a replay of the 97 natty and saw a bunch of guys who didn't look like they realized the gravity of the moment. Not that this team is the 97 team, but sometimes that lack of self consciousness (with appropriate direction) can help.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

azcat49 wrote:Just need this one at USC which scares me to death with their backcourt. I think we will hammer them on the boards but they get a lot of shots up and we have struggled getting out on those shooters it seems.

I really like this team if we can hit our full stride and Miller has 16 more games to get them ready for tourney bball. I think he will be using that pine like the hammer it is. I expect a great defensive effort Saturday.
I fully expect a comfortable victory and the best defensive effort we have given all year. Those guys don't want anything else knowing they are going to be getting on a plane back to Tucson and knowing how practice will be Monday if they dont.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

mofo wrote:Well for as bad as we got outplayed most of the game it's remarkable it came down to the wire. UCLA always seems to climax for games against us. I expect them now to lose to ASU Saturday.
ASSu defense is worse than Arizona's. I don't see it. Their frontline is going to do damage.
Bangkok Wildcat

@USC is a must win for us now.....I like our chances and think the team will come out with a chip on their shoulder.....expect Zeus to continue with his monster effort.

Regardless of any past frustrations with his hands.....we are damned lucky to have had this physical specimen at Center for the past 4 years! Especially in this day and age......I think the God of Thunder is going to dominate in this game! Bear Down Zeus.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Galen is such a weird gym to play in. Hope our crowd brings it!!
Bangkok Wildcat

Well that LA trip was a friggin' disaster defensively :-(
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:Well that LA trip was a friggin' disaster defensively :-(
It was a disaster in every sense of the word. The only thing keeping me from full-on depression right now is that we seem to have one of these letdown trips every year. Im just hoping we got it out of our system early this season.
Bangkok Wildcat

billk78 wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:Well that LA trip was a friggin' disaster defensively :-(
It was a disaster in every sense of the word. The only thing keeping me from full-on depression right now is that we seem to have one of these letdown trips every year. Im just hoping we got it out of our system early this season.
If I have to see that Alford shot once more I'm going to go ballistic....especially that smug, 'I'm a badass' smirk of his......if nothing else, I'm hopeful for some revenge on the LA schools at home this year.....Luckily the stupid-ass P12 lopsided scheduling allows us a home and home with them this year.....

But we need to learn how to guard the 3 first....smh
Bangkok Wildcat

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:Surprised there isn't a thread on this already, so I'll start one....I'm too much of a 'Homer' not to predict 3-0, BUT honestly, 2-1 wouldn't surprise me.

Bearing Down in Buddha-Land ;-). Peace!
Who was the idiot who started this thread and predicted 3-0???? ;-)

1-2 really hurts......but at least the ASSU game was fun.
DaddyO'Cat

Post by DaddyO'Cat »

Looking for a silver lining... The 97 team (and no way am I saying this team is like that, no pg for one), was 5th in the conference. The conference was brutal. But they were battle hardened warriors by the time the Tourney came and historically beat 3 #1 teams on their way to hoisting the trophy. (And had a nail biter in the first or 2nd round). Will be a tough conference run this year but then they hopefully will not be an easy out come Tourney time.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

DaddyO'Cat wrote:Looking for a silver lining... The 97 team (and no way am I saying this team is like that, no pg for one), was 5th in the conference. The conference was brutal. But they were battle hardened warriors by the time the Tourney came and historically beat 3 #1 teams on their way to hoisting the trophy. (And had a nail biter in the first or 2nd round). Will be a tough conference run this year but then they hopefully will not be an easy out come Tourney time.
the '97 team was also ranked #7 at this time that year and was subsequently swept on the road by the LA schools.

but that team also beat top-10 unc by double-digits in the preseason. and despite finishing 5th in the conference, the '97 cats were just one win away from being in a 4-way tie for 2nd in the pac.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Who in the Pac is better than +1 after 2 weeks?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

That 1997 team also had 6 players who at least had a cup of coffee in the NBA, along with 2 with very long NBA careers (Bibby, Terry) as starters, and 3rd, Dickerson who would have in he didn't get injured.

This team has 2 possible NBAers, Trier and Zeus, and Zeus will never be a star or have any plays called for him.

One of the pundits (Morales?) tweated that last time the UA was swept in LA they were a Sweet 16 team. This seems more likely.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:That 1997 team also had 6 players who at least had a cup of coffee in the NBA, along with 2 with very long NBA careers (Bibby, Terry) as starters, and 3rd, Dickerson who would have in he didn't get injured.

This team has 2 possible NBAers, Trier and Zeus, and Zeus will never be a star or have any plays called for him.

One of the pundits (Morales?) tweated that last time the UA was swept in LA they were a Sweet 16 team. This seems more likely.

Merk, you're writing off the possible NBA careers of Ristic, Simon, Comanche, (and Ray Smith-injured) already?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Still think this AZ team can improve, get hot, and win a few games in the tourney. We obviously need Anderson to play better, smarter. We need to hit FTs. And we need to defend the three point line. I'm confident Miller can get this team playing better. He's been doing it for years.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Merkin wrote:That 1997 team also had 6 players who at least had a cup of coffee in the NBA, along with 2 with very long NBA careers (Bibby, Terry) as starters, and 3rd, Dickerson who would have in he didn't get injured.

Merk, you're writing off the possible NBA careers of Ristic, Simon, Comanche, (and Ray Smith-injured) already?

Good points Eebs. Ray Smith should definitely be on the list based on hype, but haven't seen enough from the rest. Ristic is way to slow though. MacLean likes Simon, so he may be a possible NBAer.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:
This. Asu will beat them and Bryce will clang every three he takes.
What will the power ball numbers be tomorrow? Figured you would know with your expert predictions.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UAEebs86 wrote:

I'm not sold on Comanche's NBA future, but I could also see Anderson getting a look. The 97 team had Bibby and Terry get major time. Dickerson was on that path, but it was really just thise 3 that had significant careers.

I would not be stunned if Trier, Simon, Smith, Zeus and Ristic all played a few years. Comanche, I don't know what to think yet, and I could see Anderson getting a Miles Simonish career.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

ASUHATER! wrote:Earliest we probably see Zeus is uw on the 14th. Even then in probably 15 minutes or less of fame time.
I just read this and had to laugh. Do ou have to try hard to be epicly wrong as often as you are?

USC isn't any good, either. Well right now, I would say they are in the best position in the conference standings.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

nm.
Last edited by DiehardDave37 on Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Harvey Specter wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Earliest we probably see Zeus is uw on the 14th. Even then in probably 15 minutes or less of fame time.
I just read this and had to laugh. Do ou have to try hard to be epicly wrong as often as you are?

USC isn't any good, either. Well right now, I would say they are in the best position in the conference standings.
Seriously? At the time of that post every indication was that he wasn't coming back for a while longer. Nothing wrong or extreme about it at the time. What a bitchy post.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Starting to see the brouhaha about USC?
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

gumby wrote:Starting to see the brouhaha about USC?
Naw, I can't see it because I'm not used to my new IEGs(internet exaggeration goggles) yet. When I get them adjusted, I'll be able watch them and participate. :lol:

Did you catch their demolishment of the Bruins last night, Gumby? Scary when you figure these guys at their ages should still experience good playing growth through the end of the season. Darn, how'd they manage to snag guys like Jacobs and McGlaughlin and the 5/6 others?
gumby

Post by gumby »

No. 1 in my Power Index for Pac-12. For now. They'd be undefeated (with three road victories, instead of two) if they had held that 22-point lead in Seattle.

Metu goes for 21 and 8? Jeez. Perimeter already strong.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Sick, like the kids say.

USC this Season: FG % .467%, 3pt % .411%, FT % .677.

Love the PAC growth.