lets talk '16

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

Re: lets talk '16

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PennZona20 wrote:Still no chance right guys???
I'm not getting hopes up until someone in the know says there's a real chance.
Until 97 says it ain't happening, I'll remain hopeful.
az91

Post by az91 »

Beachcat97 wrote:Wow. That would be some much-needed good news. When is he deciding?
This would be some great news for a program that sorely could use a positive development.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Simmons-annou ... y-42794332" target="_blank

Think it's safe to say he's a long shot for AZ.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

He hasn't visited Arizona. If he were to pick us, that would be a surprise to just about everyone.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:He hasn't visited Arizona. If he were to pick us, that would be a surprise to just about everyone.
Right. Oh well. JJ is the bigger fish anyway.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

Chicat wrote:He hasn't visited Arizona. If he were to pick us, that would be a surprise to just about everyone.
Is there a process where he will visit before his decision comes, which I assume will be later in the spring?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

carolinacat wrote:
Is there a process where he will visit before his decision comes, which I assume will be later in the spring?
He's deciding on Saturday. See above link.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Interesting ............."Simmons took official visits three weeks in a row late in the summer to Kentucky (8/28), UNLV (9/4), and Ohio State (9/11). He has not taken an official visit to Arizona, but Sean Miller has continued to recruit him hard throughout the process"

and the dude throws us in a few days before he announces he'll announce?
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Without any knowledge of his recruitment, I bet he goes to Kentucky. How we ended up in the top 3 l, I don't know. Who knows, maybe he will surprise everyone and reach for the Kentucky hat, then put it back down and grab a UofA one.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

This would be nice. First I heard about Alkins, but don't follow recruiting all that closely.

9th ranked SG http://sports.yahoo.com/fau/basketball/ ... ins-149511" target="_blank with a very nice list of offers.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:This would be nice. First I heard about Alkins, but don't follow recruiting all that closely.

9th ranked SG http://sports.yahoo.com/fau/basketball/ ... ins-149511" target="_blank with a very nice list of offers.
Well, we definitely aren't getting either now.

If you give me JJ, I'm good. Unless Trier leaves, if JJ comes here, we have very little pt to go around, and none of it is on the wing.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

These others looks nice, but everyone knows it's all about JJ. It's all about this:

KA
AT
JJ
RS
DR
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

My God Alkins is a beast!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_ngQ0kG-sI" target="_blank
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote:My God Alkins is a beast!

Nice hops AND handles!
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Merkin wrote:This would be nice. First I heard about Alkins, but don't follow recruiting all that closely.

Has Zagoria ever got a single thing right before? Dude's such a joke
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:My God Alkins is a beast!

Nice hops AND handles!
I don't see him as a tremendously explosive athlete. He is physically strong and can handle. Basically a shorter Lance Stephenson is how I see him.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

WildcatStunner wrote:Without any knowledge of his recruitment, I bet he goes to Kentucky. How we ended up in the top 3 l, I don't know. Who knows, maybe he will surprise everyone and reach for the Kentucky hat, then put it back down and grab a UofA one.
Kentucky already has Fox, so the smart money would be on Ohio St.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Alkins could be insurance for the possibility of Trier leaving.
az91

Post by az91 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

If you give me JJ, I'm good. Unless Trier leaves, if JJ comes here, we have very little pt to go around, and none of it is on the wing.
How do you know we aren't getting either now? Did Alkins already commit?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

az91 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

How do you know we aren't getting either now? Did Alkins already commit?
Generally, picking the opposite of Zagoria is a solid strategy.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97 is more credible than Zag, as far as AZ is concerned. So if 97 hasn't chimed in on this Alkins/Simmons rumor, my bet is we're not getting either.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

EOCT wrote:
Interesting ............."Simmons took official visits three weeks in a row late in the summer to Kentucky (8/28), UNLV (9/4), and Ohio State (9/11). He has not taken an official visit to Arizona, but Sean Miller has continued to recruit him hard throughout the process"

A bit confusing to say the least. Why does the kid even bother to add us to his list at the last moment?? Why is Miller spending time recruiting a kid who won't even visit..........is our recruiting getting that desperate?
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

dmjcat wrote:
EOCT wrote:

A bit confusing to say the least. Why does the kid even bother to add us to his list at the last moment?? Why is Miller spending time recruiting a kid who won't even visit..........is our recruiting getting that desperate?
Maybe he's shooting the kid text messages. It's still "recruiting him" but it isn't, in all reality, spending lots of time
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dmjcat wrote:
EOCT wrote:

2016 is not a priority class in terms of numbers. If we can land 2 quality recruits, it probably fits better than 4.

Why not take an outside shot at a really talented kid that you probably don't need and probably won't get? If Trier returns, we lose Zeus, RA, MT and York, but have to add Smith into the equation. A 3 man class keeps us at 11 expected contributors. Pitts has the uncertain future, but even if he does not play and we score a 2 man class, we go 9 deep of people who are reasonably expected to play a minimum of 10 mpg.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dcZONAfan wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
EOCT wrote:

Maybe he's shooting the kid text messages. It's still "recruiting him" but it isn't, in all reality, spending lots of time

RichRod likes to offer recruits he has no chance of getting. That way he has an answer for "why is your recruiting so poor?" "Well, we did offer all these 5 star players..."

Don't think Miller would do that though. If there's a chance...
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: 2016 is not a priority class in terms of numbers. If we can land 2 quality recruits, it probably fits better than 4.

Why not take an outside shot at a really talented kid that you probably don't need and probably won't get? If Trier returns, we lose Zeus, RA, MT and York, but have to add Smith into the equation. A 3 man class keeps us at 11 expected contributors. Pitts has the uncertain future, but even if he does not play and we score a 2 man class, we go 9 deep of people who are reasonably expected to play a minimum of 10 mpg.
The Simmons/Alkins situation is intriguing, but come on, JJ is the centerpiece. He's the difference between a top 5 ranking and a top 25 ranking next year. He also makes us the Pac favorite, even with UCLA's stellar class coming in.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Everything about this is just weird
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Damn it's getting interesting Myers is calling Simmons to Arizona!

http://247sports.com/Player/Kobi-Simmons-28445
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

3goggles wrote:Damn it's getting interesting Myers is calling Simmons to Arizona!

Actually, a bunch of people on that site are calling Simmons to AZ this week. Where there's smoke there's fire?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

3goggles wrote:Damn it's getting interesting Myers is calling Simmons to Arizona!

I honestly have no idea what would happen if Simmons really did pick us. Kind of think it could turn into a Dorsey situation. Although I think we have more interest in him than we did Dorsey.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Kobi Simmons's Crystal Ball Predictions

Ohio State 43%
Arizona 30%
Kentucky 26%

Poll Results:
Arizona the wildcard 8-)

Kentucky already has two guards committed for 2016, but Arizona doesn't have any guards committed. The addition of Arizona could complicate things for Ohio State.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/ ... lle_1.html" target="_blank
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

It's really starting to feel like somebody's getting trolled.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Main Event wrote:Everything about this is just weird

Agree, Main, in the logical context of Kobi(See, I'm already calling Kobi by his first name!) not having visited(as far a we know.....shhh...) our campus.

But Coach is a very, very smart guy. And it's said he's been following Kobi "hard through the entire process". Would he waste his time if Kobi was out of the question?

You never know. Shhh.....
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Longhorned wrote:

It's really starting to feel like somebody's getting trolled.
How am I getting trolled?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:

I honestly have no idea what would happen if Simmons really did pick us. Kind of think it could turn into a Dorsey situation. Although I think we have more interest in him than we did Dorsey.
Who knows. This is weird. The only thing that would seem to have changed for us in roster composition is Pitts (maybe).

He's a talented kid, so I don't know why we wouldn't take him, but it is really a "why us, why now" situation.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

7 in the last 2 days

Brian Flinn
National Recruiting Analyst
Future150
Arizona

ARIZ 1/12/16 5:39PM
Ryan Noel
Ryan Noel
Contributor
TheShiver
Arizona

ARIZ 1/13/16 11:24AM
Jerry Meyer
Jerry Meyer
Dir. of Basketball Scouting
247Sports
Arizona

ARIZ 1/13/16 1:40PM
Dylan Prezkop
Dylan Prezkop
Recruiting Analyst
NextUpRecruits
Follow on Twitter
Arizona

ARIZ 1/13/16 2:56PM
Pat Lawless
Pat Lawless
National Recruiting Analyst
GiveNGoBasketball.com
Follow on Twitter
Arizona

ARIZ 1/13/16 4:04PM
Chris Fisher
Chris Fisher
Recruiting Insider
CatsPause
Follow on Twitter
Arizona

ARIZ 1/13/16 4:07PM
Drew Messmer
Drew Messmer
SW Recruiting Analyst
AllMetroHoops
Arizona

ARIZ 1/13/16 6:02PM

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/ ... redictions" target="_blank
gumby

Post by gumby »

The Witch works in mysterious ways ...
Right where I want to be.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Who knows. This is weird. The only thing that would seem to have changed for us in roster composition is Pitts (maybe).

He's a talented kid, so I don't know why we wouldn't take him, but it is really a "why us, why now" situation.
That's how jaylen brown ended up at Cal! Sometimes it's better to be the team joint the party late! I think we will not land Simmons but I think miller is pushing for him because he has seen PJCs limit.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

3goggles wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:

That's how jaylen brown ended up at Cal! Sometimes it's better to be the team joint the party late! I think we will not land Simmons but I think miller is pushing for him because he has seen PJCs limit.
Yeah but Simmons is not a prototypical PG.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
We wouldn't take him for the same reasons we wouldn't take Sidiki or Josiah again. Not saying we wouldn't take him, but that's why we wouldn't. If he does commit to Arizona having never even seen the campus I would greatly have to question his intentions.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
We wouldn't take him for the same reasons we wouldn't take Sidiki or Josiah again. Not saying we wouldn't take him, but that's why we wouldn't. If he does commit to Arizona having never even seen the campus I would greatly have to question his intentions.
Implying what exactly?

I doubt he comes here, so the point is moot... but not sure where you are going with that comment.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I am no Simmons expert, but not visiting...well, a campus visit is highly overrated. Things like a relationship with a coach aren't laid aside because of what the student union looks like. What is the real use in a visit? Meet coeds, see a football game, etc.

The important stuff for a basketball recruit isn't something you see on a campus visit.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Harvey Specter wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Implying what exactly?

I doubt he comes here, so the point is moot... but not sure where you are going with that comment.
As in he's just coming here solely to focus on his draft stock. All players should have that be part of their focus naturally, but players focused solely on that can be a cancer or don't give a crap about winning (see any player that has committed to UNLV the past 5 years or so). I genuinely have no idea what to think of this kid.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
3goggles wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Yeah but Simmons is not a prototypical PG.
That's why I mentioned Pitts first. Having a wing spot open plus the potential for a pg role in combo would be the sort of role that I could see appealing for Simmons. If Pitts and Trier are back, we are really loaded at the spots Simmons projects to.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I am no Simmons expert, but not visiting...well, a campus visit is highly overrated. Things like a relationship with a coach aren't laid aside because of what the student union looks like. What is the real use in a visit? Meet coeds, see a football game, etc.

The important stuff for a basketball recruit isn't something you see on a campus visit.
Name the last kid not from this region of the country to commit to Arizona before ever entering the state of Arizona let alone never being on campus. Hell name me the last player to commit anywhere before visiting the school he eventually attends.

Spare me that a campus visit is highly overrated, you know how important visits are.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Name the last kid not from this region of the country to commit to Arizona before ever entering the state of Arizona let alone never being on campus.

Spare me that a campus visit is highly overrated, you know how important visits are.
Campus visits help convince a kid to come here. If a kid wants to come here, not visiting is not a red flag. I don't disagree it is not the norm, but I don't understand why you think it is bad. It is a recruiting tool, but not a reason to worry about a kid's character.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Choochoo, now you're on to completely different things from a campus visit. If you don't like the kid, ok. I still don't buy that not visiting is an indictment on the kid. And really, I notice your list of negatives doesn't include academics, substance issues or real red flags beyond that you don't like how his recruitment has gone and you don't like UNLV.

I trust Sean Miller.

Edit: ok, and the post I was responding to is gone.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Choochoo, now you're on to completely different things from a campus visit. If you don't like the kid, ok. I still don't buy that not visiting is an indictment on the kid. And really, I notice your list of negatives doesn't include academics, substance issues or real red flags beyond that you don't like how his recruitment has gone and you don't like UNLV.

I trust Sean Miller.

Edit: ok, and the post I was responding to is gone.
I don't know enough about the kid to make the statements I did and that's why I deleted it. I'll let the chips fall as they may. Just a very weird deal so far and the kid scares me for that reason. He is very talented though.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Name the last kid not from this region of the country to commit to Arizona before ever entering the state of Arizona let alone never being on campus.

Campus visits help convince a kid to come here. If a kid wants to come here, not visiting is not a red flag. I don't disagree it is not the norm, but I don't understand why you think it is bad. It is a recruiting tool, but not a reason to worry about a kid's character.
Maybe he's on the No Fly List.

;)