lets talk '16

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: lets talk '16

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
baycat93 wrote:would be excited to get a talent like that... and probably best for the program.. but would be bummed if it pushed PJC to transfer. Of course if he was tearing it up this year this recruitment would not happen.

Maybe a RS year for PJC, Kobi OAD, Troy Brown '17, PJC RsSr in '18.

One can dream.
I like PJC, but regardless of Simmons, I think he has to worry about Simon passing him up too. PJC is a good, solid player, but the constant here is that Miller brings in talent and it is a competitive environment. I'm not sure PJC will ever wind up starting here. If he's ok with that, hey, he seems like a good kid and I'd love him to finish in an AZ uniform. That said, I wouldn't penalize him if he wanted to seek out a place where he would have an easier road to PT.

It's never an easy road to playing here. Who was the last recruit we snagged who wasn't a top 100 guy?
PJC's biggest issue is that he's a liability on defense and with Simmons in the fold we go 6' 3", 6' 4-5", 6' 5" at PG in a defensive system that values height in the back court because of how much switching we do.

Honestly, if I were him, I'd look to transfer to a smaller conference team that plays zone sometimes.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

baycat93 wrote:would be excited to get a talent like that... and probably best for the program.. but would be bummed if it pushed PJC to transfer. Of course if he was tearing it up this year this recruitment would not happen.

One can dream.
I think Miller's going after this kid regardless of how PJC plays. He is a combo and gives a lot of flexibility. Regardless, Simon may pass up PJC next year as well. If you are in your junior season at a school like Arizona and are still a backup to a JUCO transfer turned point, and a sophomore passes you up and a 5 star freshman comes in and you cant beat any of the three of them out, then it is what it is. Especially when next years team could lose Trier, Smith, Josh Jackson and Kobi Simmons (if they sign), Pitts, Allen, and who knows, Lauri and Ristic? Get the best guys you can. We are loaded everywhere, albeit a little thin with bigs, but could have two wings who can still shift over to play the 4. This moving and shaking and flexibility will open up minutes for others.

I think Pitts is the odd man out no matter what happens. If we landed Jackson and Simmons, PJC is the guy who is looking at trouble if he doesn't step up bigtime. And I mean bigtime, because of his limitations defensively. Remember, he has been afford a lot of opportunities here at Arizona. Backing up TJ as a frosh and very significant minutes as a soph behind and alongside Kadeem, when everyone thought he was the one who was gonna be the starter.
Last edited by rgdeuce on Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

+

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Longhorned wrote:There's no way Trier is in a position to inform Miller that he's entering the draft this spring, and that Miller conveyed this to Simmons and his stepfather. Beyond the recruiting predictors, who are quacks, nobody is saying he's picking Arizona or not, or even following through with a verbal to anyone on Saturday. My best guess is that he either picks tOSU or protracts his recruitment and maybe visits Arizona, but if he does pick Arizona on Saturday, it's probably because he thinks he's point guard, which is endemic among combo and shooting guards (and not entirely wrong as time goes by).
If I'm reading Simmons's mind, he had significnt interest in UNLV that disappeared with Rice. We have combo minutes available. Pitts is in limbo, and I don't think it would be a shock if he did not play at AZ again. PJC gets minutes, but I would think Simmons probably thinks he could beat out PJC and take his minutes and whatever Pitts leaves. Then we lose York, and even if Simon's role expands, Simmons is looking at 20 or so combo guard minutes.

Post broken hand, I would be shocked if Trier left.
Pretty close to how I read it, and I read something along those lines online this morning. Basically, the dude wanted Kentucky, but Kentucky has one scholly left and need to use it on a big. tOSU was his safety blanket but he really did not want to go there unless he had to. UNLV was probably where he was headed with that in mind, and with no offer from Kentucky. Rice gets fired, in comes Arizona.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

One can dream.
I like PJC, but regardless of Simmons, I think he has to worry about Simon passing him up too. PJC is a good, solid player, but the constant here is that Miller brings in talent and it is a competitive environment. I'm not sure PJC will ever wind up starting here. If he's ok with that, hey, he seems like a good kid and I'd love him to finish in an AZ uniform. That said, I wouldn't penalize him if he wanted to seek out a place where he would have an easier road to PT.

It's never an easy road to playing here. Who was the last recruit we snagged who wasn't a top 100 guy?
I like PJC too, but he is really short and a defensive liability, and that won't change with a RS year. Every team goes right at him when he is out there.

His A/TO ratio seems pretty good, 3.1/1.4 but seems to have a couple of bad/lazy passes every now and then. His shooting is actually pretty poor .355 FG and .250 3PT.

Just a serviceable Daniel Dillon type backup. So I agree, if he wants to transfer out I have no hard feelings but if he is OK with his role it will benefit the Cats.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

dmjcat wrote:
HiCat wrote:11 in the last 2 1/2 days :D

48% today :o

Arizona 48%
Ohio State 35%
Kentucky 17%

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/ ... redictions" target="_blank

Did KS make an unofficial visit to Arizona? (on the down low) I recall Coach saying something a while ago about recruitment picking up later. (vs 2-3 months ago) Boomer memory though, so grain of salt on this. The momentum sure feels good going into Saturday.

fwiw
EOC post above might be right.
Now up to 52%. An Ohio State "insider" has now flipped to AZ.

Hard to tell if there is anything behind this (247 Predictions) or just a bunch of Lemmings following the herd

57% now ;)
Maybe the math's off, I count 12 for Az.

Arizona 57%
Ohio State 33%
Kentucky 10%

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

One can dream.

I like PJC too, but he is really short and a defensive liability, and that won't change with a RS year. Every team goes right at him when he is out there.

His A/TO ratio seems pretty good, 3.1/1.4 but seems to have a couple of bad/lazy passes every now and then. His shooting is actually pretty poor .355 FG and .250 3PT.

Just a serviceable Daniel Dillon type backup. So I agree, if he wants to transfer out I have no hard feelings but if he is OK with his role it will benefit the Cats.
Yes. He's up against Allen, Simon and maybe Simmons, and they are all much bigger and stronger than he is. I just don't see him winning those battles for PT. I think he's a better shooter than he's shown, but to make up for his size issue, he needs to outdo the competition as a shooter. Being equal or less than the comp just won't really cut it.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

If it comes to OSU vs. Arizona, this is all you have to say: Aaron Craft vs. TJ McConnell. Everyone said TJ was a poor man's Aaron Craft. Kinda turned out to be the other way around, didn't it? TJ is in the league (mostly because of the immense defense Miller demands of his players), and Aaron has toured the world and is now in the D league.

You want to play a long time in the NBA? Best chance is learn how to play man-to-man defense like no one else. Miller teaches it better than ANY college coach.

Go Cats!!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Catstatic wrote:If it comes to OSU vs. Arizona, this is all you have to say: Aaron Craft vs. TJ McConnell. Everyone said TJ was a poor man's Aaron Craft. Kinda turned out to be the other way around, didn't it? TJ is in the league (mostly because of the immense defense Miller demands of his players), and Aaron has toured the world and is now in the D league.

You want to play a long time in the NBA? Best chance is learn how to play man-to-man defense like no one else. Miller teaches it better than ANY college coach.

Go Cats!!
You nailed it. Especially Aaron Craft being a poor man's TJ McConnell. Can't wait to use that on my OSU fan buddy. He's gonna shit. :lol:
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I'm just going to leave this here.

http://www.aseaofblue.com/2015/10/3/944 ... -it-affect" target="_blank
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote:Image

+

Now that's how to post. All the rest of you should just sit back and watch.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:I'm just going to leave this here.

The biggest question with Simmons is how he'll take to coaching.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Jerry Meyer, analyst for 24/7 Sports, said Wednesday that UA has a "really good chance" even though Simmons has not yet visited Arizona. That's in part because Kentucky is already loaded with guards, having signed five-stars Malik Monk and De’Aaron Fox, and Simmons did not commit to Ohio State as he was earlier expected to.

http://tucson.com/big-recruiting-week/a ... 4a337.html" target="_blank
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

on the pg note, does anyone think bibby3 deserves another look? has that ship sailed?

i know folks have said in the past that, despite his legacy, bibby jr. wasn't "Arizona good" (and maybe injury-prone) but it also sounds as though he has since improved a bit and could fill a need in our rotation. i know he has offers from usc (grandpa), oregon, and pastner but is waiting on offers before making any decisions. he has the potential to be a solid 3-4 year guy for the 'cats.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:

For sure.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:

His skillset is pretty close to Simon, so he'd better take to it well. With Allen, Trier and Simon in the backcourt next year, Miller doesn't need to play anyone he doesn't want to play.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:

His skillset is pretty close to Simon, so he'd better take to it well. With Allen, Trier and Simon in the backcourt next year, Miller doesn't need to play anyone he doesn't want to play.
How is his skill set similar to Simon's? He's nowhere as near raw offensively as Simon is.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Longhorned wrote: but if he does pick Arizona on Saturday, it's probably because he thinks he's point guard, which is endemic among combo and shooting guards (and not entirely wrong as time goes by).
Or because he wants to be a part of this:

KA/KS
AT/KS
JJ
RS
DR
+ JS, LM & CC. If he wanted to go to KY as much as I'm hearing, it is obvious that he wants to be surrounded by future pros and isn't afraid of competition for his PT.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:

How is his skill set similar to Simon's? He's nowhere as near raw offensively as Simon is.
Both are SG's with the potential to get some minutes at point. They won't play the same, but it would be easy to slot Simon into Simmons's role if Simmons has issues. I agree Simmons is further along in game maturity, particularly offensively.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Chicat wrote:

Agree, Chi---really key point.

If anyone has a question about Kobi as a person, I suggest Coach Miller is an extraordinary coach and highly intelligent person who is capable of evaluating this issue and taking responsibility. Looking at the players Coach has brought to us over the past five years, I feelCoach has been an expert evaluator of chemistry and behavior and I trust him completely on his views.
Last edited by EOCT on Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

rgdeuce wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:I think if we are getting him, it's because Trier is leaving. They seem to me to be very similar players. Also, in the post above I do not see anyway Kadeem is not our starting PG next year. In the unlikely world that everything goes right I see the line up being more like this:

But like I said, the only way I see Kobi coming here is if something has been told to him about Trier leaving early.
If Trier is leaving right after breaking his hand and being rated in the early second round in 2017 in most mocks...well, it could happen, but it is really weird timing, and to have a prayer at the first round, Trier better go Mike Jordan the second he's back.
Exactly. My thoughts of him leaving and being a first rounder were based on how he was trending and what I expected him to do in the games he is now missing with this injury. And he may be in good game shape and still able to get to the cup, but he's going to need some time to shake off the rust on his jumper, so that is even less time.
Even if Trier isnt invited to the combine (which I think he has a shot at) he can still declare without an agent andworkout once for each of the 30 teams in the league if he chooses, before making a decision to stay the draft or go back to UA.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

EOCT wrote:
Chicat wrote:

On the question of who Kobi is as a person, I suggest Coach Miller is an extraordinary coach and highly intelligent person who is capable of evaluating this issue and taking responsibility. Looking at the players Coach has brought to us over the past five years, I feel Coach has been an expert evaluator of chemistry and behavior and I trust him completely on his views of Kobi Simmons.
yeah, you know CSM is going to gauge a kid's coachability, discipline, expectations, and personality carefully after the likes of josiah, sidiki, chol (i guess), etc.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dirtbags wrote:
EOCT wrote:
Chicat wrote:

On the question of who Kobi is as a person, I suggest Coach Miller is an extraordinary coach and highly intelligent person who is capable of evaluating this issue and taking responsibility. Looking at the players Coach has brought to us over the past five years, I feel Coach has been an expert evaluator of chemistry and behavior and I trust him completely on his views of Kobi Simmons.
yeah, you know CSM is going to gauge a kid's coachability, discipline, expectations, and personality carefully after the likes of josiah, sidiki, chol (i guess), etc.
Garland Judkins too, one of CSM's first to boot out of the program.

Looking Judkins up, didn't do all that well at A&M Corpus Christi either. One unspectacular season then gone.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... nd-judkins" target="_blank
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Hey, nice tape of Kobi from mid-15 on the third film, plus lots of other tape.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/kobi-simmons" target="_blank

The third film from Courtside films: Sweet way to mix. Transitions, transitions to fly jams, perimeter shooting, moves around basket, floaters/lay-ups/tips, etc. Revealing. Gives you a chance to study shot and move mechanics. Wish there had been more shots of handling.

Bear Down Coach!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

DiehardDave37 wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Longhorned wrote: but if he does pick Arizona on Saturday, it's probably because he thinks he's point guard, which is endemic among combo and shooting guards (and not entirely wrong as time goes by).

KA/KS
AT/KS
JJ
RS
DR
+ JS, LM & CC. If he wanted to go to KY as much as I'm hearing, it is obvious that he wants to be surrounded by future pros and isn't afraid of competition for his PT.
If JJ is at AZ, we're preseason top 5. If Simmons and/or Alkins comes as well, probably top 3.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

When I posted that tweet about AZ being in his final 3, AZ was a 6% chance to get him. That was Tuesday :lol:

We'll see how strong the sorcery is Saturday when he makes his decision
Last edited by Jefe on Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
DiehardDave37 wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

KA/KS
AT/KS
JJ
RS
DR
If JJ is at AZ, we're preseason top 5. If Simmons and/or Alkins comes as well, probably top 3.
FF! :lol:
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

HiCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
DiehardDave37 wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
FF! :lol:
Still not sure a '16 team with JJ would do as well as last year's team with TJ, RHJ, BA, and SJ, but our preseason hype would rival Duke and Uk.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Beachcat97 wrote:
But after a couple injuries, we'll be lucky to get into the NIT

-ASUHATER
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Alieberman wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

-ASUHATER
Not an outlandish statement at all?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Alieberman wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

-ASUHATER
Elite Eight loss again.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Still not sure a '16 team with JJ would do as well as last year's team with TJ, RHJ, BA, and SJ, but our preseason hype would rival Duke and Uk.
No one could shoot on that team, which was a killer. Guards win in March.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

NYCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
No one could shoot on that team, which was a killer. Guards win in March.
Not sure that our '16/'17 team would shoot much better...
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Merkin wrote:Garland Judkins too, one of CSM's first to boot out of the program.

Looking Judkins up, didn't do all that well at A&M Corpus Christi either. One unspectacular season then gone.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... nd-judkins" target="_blank
thanks, merk -- i knew i forgot a name but could not for the life of me remember it!
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

I just want to chime in regarding the idea that Kobi would be considering us because Trier is thinking of leaving. If that is the case, I sure hope we get Simmons,
BUT
Trier is the most important Arizona freshman since Jason Gardner. Stanley, AG, RHJ, Chase, Bayless, etc were all big time players BUT Trier is the most offensively dominating and important frosh in awhile.

I would rather keep Trier one more year than trade him for Kobi
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

lol
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Main Event wrote: lol
Some day we'll (hopefully) find out what happened in this recruiting story.

But congrats Arizona!

Wait, that's us...
In re UofA

Post by In re UofA »

Would a Simmons commit impact Jackson's decision?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

In re UofA wrote:Would a Simmons commit impact Jackson's decision?
No insider info, but I don't think so. Simmons may have promises to be given a shot at PG.
Zero

Post by Zero »

Dude is a PG all the way. Can for sure play 1-3 but is great with ball in hands. Imagine how athletic this team would be with Simmons and JJ. Get Chance in the weight room and 1-5 is freakish.

Simmons
Trier/Simon
JJ
Ray Smith
Dusan/Chance
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Main Event wrote: lol
https://youtu.be/qu32fBkiHFE" target="_blank
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Your kidding me right?

Witches never sleep.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Duke and Kentucky can only get so many 5 star recruits!
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

I'm speechless.....won't count this chicken till he announces and signs his LOI though.....Miller is a witch for sure.....adding his own chapter to the Midnight Lute Book ;-).

Bear Down!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

In re UofA wrote:Would a Simmons commit impact Jackson's decision?
If Jackson goes to college he wants to win, so it could only help.

Definitely looks like we're getting Simmons. Craziest recruitment to end up in Arizona's favor I've ever seen. Still 3 months away from signing day though...
Bangkok Wildcat

ChooChooCat wrote:
Definitely looks like we're getting Simmons. Craziest recruitment to end up in Arizona's favor I've ever seen. Still 3 months away from signing day though...
Dorsey and Leaf's decomittments, not to mention the football recruits, have really tempered my excitement on verbals.....this trend seems to be getting worse. Would much rather recruits announce during the signing periods BUT I won't look a gift horse in the mouth either :-)

I'm a Witch-lover and proud of it. BTFD.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Dorsey and Leaf's decomittments, not to mention the football recruits, have really tempered my excitement on verbals.....this trend seems to be getting worse. Would much rather recruits announce during the signing periods BUT I won't look a gift horse in the mouth either :-)

Leaf, I agree.

But the staff didn't want Dorsey. They chose Trier over him. It was 100% the right move
Bangkok Wildcat

dcZONAfan wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Leaf, I agree.

But the staff didn't want Dorsey. They chose Trier over him. It was 100% the right move
Was it an either / or with Dorsey & Trier?
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Leaf, I agree.

As far as I remember, yes
Bangkok Wildcat

dcZONAfan wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Leaf, I agree.

As far as I remember, yes
Thanks dcZONAfan!