UA Basketball 2015-2016 Discussion Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ASUHATER!

Re: UA Basketball 2015-2016 Discussion Thread

Post by ASUHATER! »

catgrad97 wrote:I want this team to get to a Final Four now just to get ASUHATER's reaction. :)
? It would be the same as anyone else's here. Why would it be any different?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

It would be prefaced by some disclaimer.

Or perhaps you would be too incapacitated by disbelief to post. My money's on your head exploding during the net-cutting ceremony. :)
gumby

Post by gumby »

catgrad97 wrote:I want this team to get to a Final Four now just to get ASUHATER's reaction. :)
"Miller better not climb that ladder and snip the net. He could fall and land on the scissors."
Right where I want to be.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gumby wrote:
"Miller better not climb that ladder and snip the net. He could fall and land on the scissors."
:lol:

"Ugh, now everyone's going to expect us to go back-to-back and our team next year will be filled with guys no one else wanted like Simmons and Jackson."
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

catgrad97 wrote:It would be prefaced by some disclaimer.

Or perhaps you would be too incapacitated by disbelief to post. My money's on your head exploding during the net-cutting ceremony. :)
Nope. I'd have the same reaction as you would. I've been a fan for 14 years now and have never experienced a final 4.

dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

rgdeuce wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
So we lose a key player to injury and the other guys step up? Unheard of!

I really hate all the stupid bitching and whining around here of all the doom and gloom fans wondering if we'll ever win another game once we hit a setback or a player has a bad game. We have a great coach and a roster full of winners.
That speaks volumes. We saw how the Zeus injury actually turned into a positive, for the development of others and for him itself (so far). Now this looks like it may as well, albeit with a very small sample size. I'm usually in the stands saying "Tolly" under my breath 5, 6, 7 times a game just off defense alone, and will get one or two positive cheers in, usually on a blocked shot. I think I said that once (out of position) or twice last night, and I exclaimed "great D tolly" at least five times last night. The fans at home may have had a better view than me, but there was one particular play, the dude drove left, Tolly shuffled and stuck with the dude the whole time, hands were up, the dude had nowhere to go and stepped on the baseline.. It looked textbook, Rondae-like, and the refs called a pushing foul. I saw the replay on the big screen and it still looked textbook. I was probably the loudest person in the building at that moment, I was so mad that play, seeing how far he had come, was penalized. it was like seeing your kid finally learn to ride a bike and some asshole jumps in front to stop him. Maybe you guys can chime in and tell me there was a push. I was pretty worked up about that.
No push, it was textbook defense and my wife came out of the bedroom after that play to ask me if we lost because I yelled so loud haha
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

ASUHATER! wrote: I've been a fan for 14 years now and have never experienced a final 4.
All of a sudden it all makes sense.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

dcZONAfan wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote: I've been a fan for 14 years now and have never experienced a final 4.
All I've experienced are 2 sweet 16s and 5 crushing elite 8 losses.
Last edited by ASUHATER! on Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

dcZONAfan wrote:
Sort of. Not everybody reacts the same way to the same circumstance, not even identical twins. But you can certainly see the potential for this outlook if you can imagine your only experience as a fan of Arizona basketball in terms of all of those almost inexplicable and tragic Elite Eight losses. No Steve Kerr and Sean Elliott; no Damon Stoudemire or Khalid Reeves; no Mike Bibby and Justin Simon; no Richard Jefferson and Gilbert Arenas. Just the decline of Lute Olson, the Russ Pennel era, Kevin O'Neal. The Claw. And all of those miraculous interventions that kept us out of another Final Four.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Longhorned wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:
Sort of. Not everybody reacts the same way to the same circumstance, not even identical twins. But you can certainly see the potential for this outlook if you can imagine your only experience as a fan of Arizona basketball in terms of all of those almost inexplicable and tragic Elite Eight losses. No Steve Kerr and Sean Elliott; no Damon Stoudemire or Khalid Reeves; no Mike Bibby and Justin Simon; no Richard Jefferson and Gilbert Arenas. Just the decline of Lute Olson, the Russ Pennel era, Kevin O'Neal. The Claw. And all of those miraculous interventions that kept us out of another Final Four.
yup my first 7 years as a fan included the decline and departure of Lute, the two interim years and two crushing elite 8 losses in 2003 and 2005. That was my introduction to the program. When I was in school we had an elite 8, a second round loss and two first round exits and the O'Neill year.

KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Will never forget that thrilling 87-69 victory over Wyoming back in the winter of '73.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:
yup my first 7 years as a fan included the decline and departure of Lute, the two interim years and two crushing elite 8 losses in 2003 and 2005. That was my introduction to the program. When I was in school we had an elite 8, a second round loss and two first round exits and the O'Neill year.
Any therapists you can make an appointment with?
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

My first year was Ben Lindsey's year. I remember when they played Houston and got destroyed and thinking, we suck.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
gumby

Post by gumby »

We did suck. I'm a Freddy the Fox alum. But I hung tough, dammit. You can, too, Hater!

gumby

Post by gumby »

As for crushing:

1989: UNLV
1990: Alabama
1992: East Tennessee State
1993: Santa Clara
1995: Miami of Ohio
1998: Utah
1999: Oklahoma
2000: Wisconsin
2005: Illinois
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

Still remember the KZAZ Ch. 11 broadcasts featuring the Doobie Brothers "China Grove" as the anthem music for the UA telecasts. Coniel Norman was my first favorite player.

I was still in grade school when he played and was heartbroken he left school early.

Hopefully his life has turned around for the better: http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketba ... he-surface" target="_blank
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

gumby wrote:As for crushing:

Only Cubs' fans and Job suffered so much.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

Irish27 wrote:My first year was Ben Lindsey's year. I remember when they played Houston and got destroyed and thinking, we suck.
His disastrous hire turned out to be the greatest blessing in disguise. If he hadn't been so awful, Arizona basketball might look a lot like ASU.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

ASUHATER! wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:
All I've experienced are 2 sweet 16s and 5 crushing elite 8 losses.
The Ohio State Sweet 16 loss was a crushing one as well
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Merkin wrote:
Didnt this say Pitts would be playing last night? Pretty sure that was edited :lol:

Plus this gem
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Looks like Ace blocked me again.

You are blocked from following @UofAPointGuardU and viewing @UofAPointGuardU's Tweets
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Can you read the tweets above? Im almost positive the one from the 12th said something different

@UofAPointGuardU
Elliott Pitts personal issue is now resolved. Should be back soon.

@UofAPointGuardU
14,000 followers the most of any Arizona news/media site. A clear indicator of the quality of our product & content. Kobi to AZ on Saturday
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Irish27 wrote:My first year was Ben Lindsey's year. I remember when they played Houston and got destroyed and thinking, we suck.
Didn't realize we were there at the same time. UA was actually a football school then thanks to Larry Smith.

I started when Fred Snowden was head coach. He had a rough year, and his wife was picked up for shoplifting. Fired after losing twice as many games as he won.

They brought in Lindsey, who won a couple of NAIA championships at GCC, but found out handling a very small Christian school athletes compared to Div I athletes is very different. Lost the team. Couldn't even half fill McKale with $3 tickets. Team intentionally lost games to get rid of Lindsey.

Then Lute came in and really changed the program, obviously.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

you're right, jefe. they (he) originally said EP would be back on the floor for last night's game.

*sad trombone sound*
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Ivan Rabb to Arizona! -- Ace

Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

carolinacat wrote:
His disastrous hire turned out to be the greatest blessing in disguise. If he hadn't been so awful, Arizona basketball might look a lot like ASU.
Kind of... we got lucky, but if Strack had made the right call, Lutewould have arrived a year earlier.

Jack Hartman (K-State), Lute, and Don Monson (Idaho) were the 3 finalists. Hartman (late in his career) was offered and verbally accepted... It leaked to the press, but after the flight home to Manhattan had a change of heart and decided to stay put. Lute and Monsons backed away from the table (or I guess Hater would say they were being pussies).

Lindsey got the job by default... Fortunately a year later, Lute was still available. We were kind of lucky AGAIN that Iowa lost to Villanova in the tourney in 1983 (assuming the local stories were accurate).
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Merkin wrote:
Didn't realize we were there at the same time. UA was actually a football school then thanks to Larry Smith.

I started when Fred Snowden was head coach. He had a rough year, and his wife was picked up for shoplifting. Fired after losing twice as many games as he won.

They brought in Lindsey, who won a couple of NAIA championships at GCC, but found out handling a very small Christian school athletes compared to Div I athletes is very different. Lost the team. Couldn't even half fill McKale with $3 tickets. Team intentionally lost games to get rid of Lindsey.

First game in bear down gym with Jim Huckstein being the leading scorer for AZ. Season ticket holder as a family for almost 50 years
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Same here. Didn't go to a single game my freshman year. My first game was the one after Kerr's dad was assassinated and he lit ASU up.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Had 3 final 4s and a title in there to temper it out. I've never experienced those things. And being a fan in the fox days doesn't mean suffering...you didn't have the knowledge going in as a fan that Arizona is supposed to go to final fours every 3 or so years...

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Nothing to me more crushing than the Oklahoma loss in the FF in 87-88. We were the best team in what was a migical season. UNLV second followed by Santa Clara then the Duke loss in 2001 when they should have won for Bobbie
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

azcat49 wrote:

Nothing to me more crushing than the Oklahoma loss in the FF in 87-88. We were the best team in what was a migical season. UNLV second followed by Santa Clara then the Duke loss in 2001 when they should have won for Bobbie
Agreed.....seemed like our average margin of victory was around 25-30 points each game too that year....blowout after blowout from what I recall......one off night for Kerr vs OU and that was heartbreaking.....we were the best team that year but as it often happens, the best team doesn't always win the NCAA Tourney....

And the loss in 2001 for Bobbi was heartbreaking.......:-(
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Merkin wrote:

I actually started at the UofA in 1986, I moved to Tucson in 1982.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

azcat49 wrote:

All the Final Four losses were crushing but the Illinois loss in the Elite Eight is the worst in my opinion. The refs really played a part in Illinois winning. Too bad Gardner used up his eligibility because Mustafa could not handle the pressure the last few minutes of that game.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Oklahoma
UNLV
Duke
Utah
Illinois

Top five losses if you started school in 1985. I'd include Stanford and New Mexico if you want real honesty. :)
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

You guys are killing me here.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Jefe wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Didnt this say Pitts would be playing last night? Pretty sure that was edited :lol:

Plus this gem
14K followers, the sign of quality :lol: Maybe in 2010 14K was a lot. Not in 2016.

For me it's weird. Born in 89, missed a lot. Growing up in Phoenix, didn't follow much sports (college or professional) until I was around 13. Played them. I remember the 2001 Championship hame. Everyone was watching in my house and was pissed. 2005 season going forward was when I really started to follow the program closely.

Freshman year on campus in 07, I was excited for basketball season and then the Lute news came pretty early in the semester. What a disaster. All the losses to ASSu, the UCLA losing streak. KO being announced as the successor to Lute. Yuck. Sweating on back to back Selection Sunday's. Miller turning the job down, or so we thought. Missing the tournament.

It's been a rough ride from 05 until now

For me the 2014 Wisconsin game hurt probably the most. Broke my phone when they called the NJ charge. AZ was the best team that year if not for BAsh foot.

2014 Wisconsin - Nuff said. God I hate Kaminski
2011 UCONN - realizing the magical run was over. More proud of the team if anything. First and only time I'll admit I got a little teary eyed when Horne missed that 3.
2005 Illinois - Was still in HS and not a rabid fan yet. Still in shock.
2014 UCLA Pac-12 - I get it was just a conference tourney but I left MGM feeling completely robbed.
2013 Ohio State - Remember Grant? Idc what anyone says, I still blame him for that one.

Honorable mention - 2011 UW PAC 12 - I don't like Isaiah Thomas. That entire team was hateable.

There are a few regular season losses in there, but not as noteworthy as above.

Reflecting a bit, we've had a lot of clutch, close wins too under Miller. Florida, Gonzaga, Texas, Memphis, UW block, CAL double OT, San Diego State twice. Too bad none of them were for the final four
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

That 68-70 loss at Detroit still irks me - where I first started detesting Dick Vitale. Believe it or not he was more obnoxious as a coach than as an announcer. Also heard a rumor that the Detroit clock operator moved to Albuquerque shortly after that game and got a similar job at New Mexico.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

That '98 loss to Utah was a really tough pill. We were a #1 seed and heavily favored vs. Majerus and the Utes. It would be the last time we'd see Simon, Bibby, Dickerson, and Terry play together.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Beachcat97 wrote:That '98 loss to Utah was a really tough pill. We were a #1 seed and heavily favored vs. Majerus and the Utes. It would be the last time we'd see Simon, Bibby, Dickerson, and Terry play together.
No loss will ever be as worse to me as 2005. I hate even saying those numbers. I hate having those numbers displayed in McKale. I watched that game at Rudy's in Newport Beach and have still never set foot in that bar again. Last year on its ten year anniversary I tried watching the end of that game for the first time and could not do it. I was as angry watching it as I was that night in 2005.

I am pissed off just writing it now

Ok I'm done talking about it but I don't see how any lose ever will be as bad as that one.

I believe in seeing if you can find something positive in a situation and one positive about 2005 is it should never be worse then that outside of us doing the same thing in the national championship game
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Newportcat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:That '98 loss to Utah was a really tough pill. We were a #1 seed and heavily favored vs. Majerus and the Utes. It would be the last time we'd see Simon, Bibby, Dickerson, and Terry play together.
No loss will ever be as worse to me as 2005. I hate even saying those numbers. I hate having those numbers displayed in McKale. I watched that game at Rudy's in Newport Beach and have still never set foot in that bar again. Last year on its ten year anniversary I tried watching the end of that game for the first time and could not do it. I was as angry watching it as I was that night in 2005.

I am pissed off just writing it now

Ok I'm done talking about it but I don't see how any lose ever will be as bad as that one.

I believe in seeing if you can find something positive in a situation and one positive about 2005 is it should never be worse then that outside of us doing the same thing in the national championship game
Dude, I work on that orange and blue campus. It's my 360 degree reality all day long every day. If you fear fecal matter, just get it over with and move to the sewer. If it helps, you can at least know that people here wear Arizona gear and most have no idea that there's ever been a history.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Irish27 wrote:
azcat49 wrote:

All the Final Four losses were crushing but the Illinois loss in the Elite Eight is the worst in my opinion. The refs really played a part in Illinois winning. Too bad Gardner used up his eligibility because Mustafa could not handle the pressure the last few minutes of that game.

I got reamed by someone a couple weeks ago for saying that about Shakur.

That Illini game has been the most crushing in my experience. Channing was clobbered with no call.

Only other game that bothered me as much was the USA/USSR Olympic game in 1972. Refs literally gave the ball to the Russians twice so they could win.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

2005 was definitely the worst for me, followed by 1988 and then 2001. Fuck UI, Okie U & Duke! Should have at least 2 more titles from those 3 games.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

'05 was bad. No question. Sorta felt like it was Lute's best team in the final stage of his career, and like everyone else, I badly wanted to see him hoist another trophy.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

1. Illinois 2005 - I was a student at the time, I was completely shocked. I still have never rewatched that game.
2. Duke 2001 - Wasn't a student yet, but a big Cats fan. Hate K and all things Duke.
3. Kansas 2003 - I remember beating them earlier in the year and knew it would be hard to do again. Hate Kirk Heinrich.
4. Wisconsin 2014 - Hate Kaminsky, hate the official that called a charge, hate everything about Wisconsin.
5. Seton Hall 2004 - A lot could have went here, I always felt this team was too talented to achieve as little as they did.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

WildcatStunner wrote:1. Illinois 2005 - I was a student at the time, I was completely shocked. I still have never rewatched that game.
2. Duke 2001 - Wasn't a student yet, but a big Cats fan. Hate K and all things Duke.
3. Kansas 2003 - I remember beating them earlier in the year and knew it would be hard to do again. Hate Kirk Heinrich.
4. Wisconsin 2014 - Hate Kaminsky, hate the official that called a charge, hate everything about Wisconsin.
5. Seton Hall 2004 - A lot could have went here, I always felt this team was too talented to achieve as little as they did.
This is a good list, WS. I'm a little older than you. They won the NC during my freshman year in '97, so I was spoiled from the get go.

I'd put our '98 loss to Utah ahead of Wisconsin '14 and maybe ahead of Kansas '03. They were defending champs and essentially the same group that won our only title. Seeing them get run off the floor vs. Utah one step short of the FF was awful. Cat fans will never forget the name Michael Doleac.
gumby

Post by gumby »

ASUHATER! wrote:

Had 3 final 4s and a title in there to temper it out. I've never experienced those things. And being a fan in the fox days doesn't mean suffering...you didn't have the knowledge going in as a fan that Arizona is supposed to go to final fours every 3 or so years...

So everyone your age is like you?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Any update on Elliott Sitts?
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

these cardiac losses are painful. average margin of defeat is 2.5 pts.

hope our guys blow the lid off of oregon and give CSM #300 in style back at home.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Just have too many guys that are gonna shrink up on the road and in big games. I can tolerate a quiet night from guys offensively, its the defensive shit that grinds my gears. We played like crap tonight. Let one guy beat us, and he may have had two tough shots the whole night. So frustrating, this team can be so damn good if they just quit the bonehead crap on defense. Its not even a matter of locking people down, it the dumb decisions and not thinking and giving guys uncontested shots and layups of breakdowns. . We have beaten the crap out of ourselves in every loss this season. And somehow, on the road (conference play) we had a chance to win all three games. Shows how good this team can be
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Everybody take a deep breath. Sure the 4 losses are frustrating because the Cats could have won all four games. They have lost 4 games by a total of 10 points! At the beginning of the season, if you would have told me that cats would be 16-4 with the onslaught of injuries and loss of talent, I would have taken that record anytime and still would.

Is winning the PAC regular season an uphill battle presently? Damn right it is. Get trier back and to full speed, this team will win the PAC 12 tournament and will make a deep run in the tournament.