Kobi Simmons

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Main Event

Re: Kobi Simmons

Post by Main Event »

dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Great get by Miller. Can't sign enough quality recruits with the recruiting arms race going on in the PAC12 with UCLA/Cal stepping it up.

I'm still confused how we seemingly came out of nowhere for Kobi......and whats the recruiting plan going forward. Did we sign Kobi because we don't believe we are getting JJackson??? I presume its full speed ahead for JJackson anyway?? How does JJackson feel about Kobi being on the team?? Are we still chasing Alkins????

Good day for the Cats no matter what. Pair Kobi with LM and we end up with a decent recruiting class no matter what happens for the rest of the spring.
Last edited by dmjcat on Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Kobi!!!!

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dmjcat wrote:Great get by Miller. Can't sign enough quality recruits with the recruiting arms race going on in the PAC12 with UCLA/Cal stepping it up.

I'm still confused how we seemingly came out of nowhere for Kobi......and whats the recruiting plan going forward. Did we sign Kobi because we don't believe we are getting JJackson??? I presume its full speed ahead for JJackson anyway?? How does JJackson feel about Kobi being on the team?? Are we still chasing Alkins????

Good day for the Cats no matter what. Pair Kobi with LM and we end up with a decent recruiting class no matter what happens for the rest of the spring.
Kobi and JJ don't play the same position. I'm sure JJ wants to be paired with the best players possible.

I'm really excited to see him in an Arizona uniform. If he dedicates himself on the defensive end, he could be the x-factor in a championship run.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Chicat wrote:
dmjcat wrote:Great get by Miller. Can't sign enough quality recruits with the recruiting arms race going on in the PAC12 with UCLA/Cal stepping it up.

Kobi and JJ don't play the same position. I'm sure JJ wants to be paired with the best players possible.

I'm really excited to see him in an Arizona uniform. If he dedicates himself on the defensive end, he could be the x-factor in a championship run.
Baby steps. Don't go getting crazy talking "championship run."
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Okay now Kobi is a cat let's focus on our new DC!!!
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Debbie Downer.. sheesh. Time to celebrate and dream a little. (not directed at you 3 gogs)
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Miller is a witch & everything but let's be real if UK had a spot for him - that's where he would've ended up at.
Now for what he actually said about Arizona commitment.
"I’m going to Arizona and really my relationship with Miller and his staff just grew and grew,” Simmons told Scout. “We have an indescribable relationship. I just feel more comfortable with that stuff and I can trust them the most.”

"Me and Book [Richardson], the assistant coach, we are pretty much like family,” he added. “He knows my family as well and has known them for over 20 years. That’s just where I feel most comfortable with my style of play. Me and the players have cool relationships and that’s just where I’m most comfortable at.”

"It’s not like a school like North Dakota or something, where you have to go see if you’ll like it,” Simmons said. “It’s out there. I will be going out there right after I commit. That’s not really a big factor, I just know that’s where I need to be.”

“A lot of people don’t know, but this is going on four years of them recruiting me,” Simmons said. “I’ve been to their games. I went to a game when they played at Clemson my freshman year.”

“They came to a couple of my games last year and I had an in-home visit with them,” he added. “They came and saw me workout a couple of times. We always had a tight relationship. Sean just extended it more and more and showed me how bad they wanted me.”
http://www.scout.com/college/basketball ... ts-arizona" target="_blank
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

HiCat wrote:Debbie Downer.. sheesh. Time to celebrate and dream a little. (not directed at you 3 gogs)
I know you were talking about fuegs
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

so do they Overnight the gear or what?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

enfuego wrote:Baby steps. Don't go getting crazy talking "championship run."
Sorry, am I stepping all over your schtick?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

CBCat wrote:so do they Overnight the gear or what?
:lol:

They basically would've had to...
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Chicat wrote:
enfuego wrote:Baby steps. Don't go getting crazy talking "championship run."
Sorry, am I stepping all over your schtick?
Don't let the noise ruin the party. Time to have some fun and get crazy with expectations.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Kobi
Josh Jackson
Markkanen

That would be a pretty tight class in and of itself!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:Kobi
Josh Jackson
Markkanen

Probably third in the nation after Duke and UK.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not bad for just having 2 recruits. C'mon JJ!!!
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

NYCat wrote:Miller is a witch & everything but let's be real if UK had a spot for him - that's where he would've ended up at.
An odd recruitment for Simmons no doubt, but even more odd in the context of our recruitment of the PG/CG position in this class. Many expected us to land Fultz, and then Jones - and we whiff on both. A week ago no one dreamed we had a prayer at Simmons, and yet we land him.

Crazy :o
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Being a die hard Lakers fan I thought this would be the last year I get to cheer for Kobe...we'll not anymore as I get a new Kobi to cheer for!

Miller shows once again he is a master recruiter and never to be doubted when it comes to recruiting

I love the fact he hasn't visited yet. He is going to visit in the coming weeks see our facilities, home crowd, and the girls and go Why did I wait this long!!!!!!
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Josh Jackson
Markkanen

Add in Ray to that and we have the #1 "frosh class"
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Harvey Specter wrote:
NYCat wrote:Miller is a witch & everything but let's be real if UK had a spot for him - that's where he would've ended up at.
An odd recruitment for Simmons no doubt, but even more odd in the context of our recruitment of the PG/CG position in this class. Many expected us to land Fultz, and then Jones - and we whiff on both. A week ago no one dreamed we had a prayer at Simmons, and yet we land him.

Crazy :o
True, and a pg is the most important position of need For the future so I really hope he is more kris Dunn than jp prince. We need stability at PG once Kadeem leaves. If kobi can coincide with PJC as our backups on a championship caliber team next year then take over as the starter with pjc providing heavy backup minutes as a senior it is a dream scenario
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

dcZONAfan wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Josh Jackson
Markkanen

Would you please stop posting this. ASUHATER has weighted in with his board-certified medical opinion.

Ray Smith's career is over.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Harvey Specter wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Josh Jackson
Markkanen

Would you please stop posting this. ASUHATER has weighted in with his board-certified medical opinion.

Ray Smith's career is over.
Shit my bad brother :D
gumby

Post by gumby »

Josh Jackson
Markkanen

Froling, Alkins? Kobi recruiting Alkins.
Right where I want to be.
az91

Post by az91 »

I think John Calipari is secretly an Arizona fan. He helped us get Miller as head coach and now he helped us get Kobi by refusing to let him commit to Kentucky. Thanks, Cal!.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

gumby wrote:
Josh Jackson
Markkanen

Froling, Alkins? Kobi recruiting Alkins.
Adkins, especially if we were to miss on JJ, would be a strong get. Dude is a hard player to stop. Julius Randleish!
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I want Alkins. Ive missed having a grimey, hard-nosed east coast/NYC guy on the team. All respect to Rondae, he PLAYED tough but he was he was also the most likeable and nicest guy in the world :lol: though you know he had some badass hidden beneath all that
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

rgdeuce wrote:I want Alkins. Ive missed having a grimey, hard-nosed east coast/NYC guy on the team. All respect to Rondae, he PLAYED tough but he was he was also the most likeable and nicest guy in the world :lol: though you know he had some badass hidden beneath all that
Funny you mentioned a hard nosed guy, I was trying to imagine a Parrom-like player on this team yesterday.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... a-wildcats" target="_blank

Kobi Simmons commits to Wildcats
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

If I'm not mistaken there are 4 scholarship seniors correct? York, Zues, Anderson and Tollefson?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

btfd16 wrote:If I'm not mistaken there are 4 scholarship seniors correct? York, Zues, Anderson and Tollefson?
Correct, along with an open scholarship currently not being used.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

If Miller says the '16 class will continue to grow, we should take the man's word.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Simmons named as a McDonald's All American tonight! Congrats to him.
Last edited by Frybry02 on Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

McD's All American recruits (Wildcats) under Sean Miller:

2012: Grant Jerret, Brandon Ashley
2013: Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Aaron Gordon
2014: Stanley Johnson
2015: Allonzo Trier
2016: Kobi Simmons. Josh Jackson?

Pretty impressive recruiting.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Late to the parade on this, but welcome Kobi Simmons!

Landing KS all the way from Georgia, especially with everyone out east recruiting him, is a huge signing.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

CatsbyAZ wrote:Late to the parade on this, but welcome Kobi Simmons!

Landing KS all the way from Georgia, especially with everyone out east recruiting him, is a huge signing.
I know....especially considering the lack of news on him......tOSU really thought they were going to get him....not sure why they think so highly of their program though....I think it's mediocre now.

Anyways, back to Kobi......I still can't believe how quickly this happened....seems like he really wasn't sold on tOSU, so was he headed to UNLV until they fired Rice??? Or did he just really want UK only, they didn't want him, and left him having to re-think things?

Glad to have him though......CSM is a witch! :-)
In re UofA

Post by In re UofA »

Grant Jarret.... Still consider that whole situation a major bummer.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

In re UofA wrote:Grant Jarret.... Still consider that whole situation a major bummer.
He got some bad advice and perhaps wasn't keen on being a student very long. He could've been all Pac if he'd stayed in Tucson for a while.
Bangkok Wildcat

Beachcat97 wrote:
In re UofA wrote:Grant Jarret.... Still consider that whole situation a major bummer.
He got some bad advice and perhaps wasn't keen on being a student very long. He could've been all Pac if he'd stayed in Tucson for a while.
Very much agree with Grant being a HUGE disappointment.......hope his debacle serves as some warning to other young Wildcats about being careful as to what the motives are behind your advisors.

GJ situation is yet another reason to make a 2 year minimum college or something similar.....would benefit all parties. Let those kids who absolutely can't hack it in college play overseas and develop there if they must get paid early.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Jerrett seems like a situation where he happened to be blessed with optimum height, good athleticism, and just enough quick-twitch/hand-eye/muscle-memory to become easily skilled who never really loved playing basketball and decided that as soon as he had to work for it, he was done.

I don't think his mind or heart was in the sport.

At one time I took his comments personally. Now I just think he left before he could screw up his draft stock any more. He was never going to commit to improving enough to justify coming back, so he got what he could while he cared just enough to try. And by try, I mean barely try.

I still remember him tweeting about watching a That 70s Show marathon... Likely from either a shitty apartment or shitty hotel room, in a shitty town while playing shitty in the shitty D-League for shitty pay.

Didn't even have the motivation to escape that hell.

Ashley at least worked. His was all flipping that mental switch.

Jerrett just didn't give a crap.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

You bring up some good stuff Jmark. I think after all, it was good he left. I think he would have been bad for team chemistry the following year if he stayed.
Bangkok Wildcat

WildcatStunner wrote:You bring up some good stuff Jmark. I think after all, it was good he left. I think he would have been bad for team chemistry the following year if he stayed.
Interesting thoughts / Intel Jmark & Stunner.

Thanks. BD.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

WildcatStunner wrote:You bring up some good stuff Jmark. I think after all, it was good he left. I think he would have been bad for team chemistry the following year if he stayed.
He wasn't any good for team chemistry the year he was here. Part of the reason he didn't play as much as expected and part of the reason he was (probably) encouraged to take his attitude elsewhere.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Pit stop.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RichardCranium wrote:
He wasn't any good for team chemistry the year he was here. Part of the reason he didn't play as much as expected and part of the reason he was (probably) encouraged to take his attitude elsewhere.
I don't know that any of that was actually the case.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
RichardCranium wrote:
I don't remember any rumblings that he was an attitude problem when he was actually here. I assume he wanted more minutes, but what player doesn't? I think GJ gets a lot of revisionist history here after the way he left.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

Unless there are legitimate and proven examples, I'm skeptical about over analyzing the Jerrett situation. I think he simply got some bad advice. Miller talked about it recently that when players leave early, they'll sit with their parents and the coach and divulge their plans and the coach really can't do much to convince them to stay once their minds are made up. That's what I think happened with Miller.

I suspect that the parents (and players) think that coaches are only looking out for themselves and selfishly want the players to stay, no matter what. But we've seen that isn't the truth with Miller (and other coaches too). If their draft evaluations are very promising, the players should go. Stanley Johnson was a perfect example. Even after he had all his info, Miller indicated that SJ still was on the fence about leaving but eventually did what was best for his family. Had he stayed, he no doubt would've been in the running for Pac 12 POY and a top 5 pick. But leaving when he did was still very lucrative both short and long term for him.

Jerrett's decision was a disaster and it's a shame that it was obvious to everyone (even the fans) except Jerrett and his handlers.

As for Ashley, I don't understand what led to his decision making. With BA coming in, perhaps the coaches made it clear that they were going to play the best player. In a way, that's tough for Ashley because he was a good soldier. I still think it would've been in his best interest to stay and get minutes and improve. Now he's stuck in the D league and it could be awhile before he gets an opportunity, if ever.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:
RichardCranium wrote:
I don't remember any rumblings that he was an attitude problem when he was actually here. I assume he wanted more minutes, but what player doesn't? I think GJ gets a lot of revisionist history here after the way he left.
I agree. I know GJ was close with TJ and it was kind of a shock that he would go pro and pass up the opportunity to play with a legit pass-first PG, especially as a stretch 4 who would benefit from TJ's ability to get into the lane and then kick it out.

As for Ashley, the best explanation I heard was that sometimes kids are just done with college and want to move on to playing professionally. We saw that with Michael Wright (RIP) as well. Their draft evaluations weren't such that you'd expect them to leave early, but they didn't want to come back to school and went pro anyway.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I don't think Ashley made a bad decision. Returning, he would have lost some minutes with Zeus, Ristic and Anderson to compete with. Developmentally, you can develop in the D League as well as college. It really just seemed like his time to go, and even if it does not result in him being a pro, I don't think playing his senior year would have either.