WSU/UW

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

WSU/UW

Post by Beachcat97 »

Seriously? No threads on this week's games?

I think we're getting a split this week but would love to be wrong.
Spaceman Spiff

Re: WSU/UW

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Both are winnable, but our road performance is just not up to par. We have not been able to break through in the close games. Maybe we have a moment like the 2011 Cal game where we break that mental block.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Both are winnable, but our road performance is just not up to par. We have not been able to break through in the close games. Maybe we have a moment like the 2011 Cal game where we break that mental block.
Well, it's up to our seniors, isn't it? Zeus, Gabe, RA, MT...these guys have about two more months of college basketball, so we need them to be leaders and make big plays.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

I am feeling good about @UW if Trier plays and is a full go (25+ minutes). If he is himself then we can go there and win that game and finally get the road W that this team desperately needs.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

dcZONAfan wrote:I am feeling good about @UW if Trier plays and is a full go (25+ minutes). If he is himself then we can go there and win that game and finally get the road W that this team desperately needs.
If we lose any of the next four games, our Pac title hopes will dim. Fortunately, OR plays Utah this week, so one of them will be losing. Then OR has to go to Cal. The Pac race will become clearer soon.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PJC needs to get out of his away game slumping. He is such a different player at home, and just freezes up when traveling.

Besides Trier, PJC is the key. Anderson will get his, and York will be streaky, and Zeus will just be Zeus.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

It's past time for a road sweep
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote:PJC needs to get out of his away game slumping. He is such a different player at home, and just freezes up when traveling.

Besides Trier, PJC is the key. Anderson will get his, and York will be streaky, and Zeus will just be Zeus.
Sometimes I feel like PJC actually needs to shoot more, though I'm sure some here will disagree. I'd like to see PJC just pull the trigger when he sees daylight from three. Instead, he's usually looking for Gabe or whoever's cutting, which is fine, but we need PJC to become a killer and to take open shots when they're there.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Merkin wrote:PJC needs to get out of his away game slumping. He is such a different player at home, and just freezes up when traveling.

Sometimes I feel like PJC actually needs to shoot more, though I'm sure some here will disagree. I'd like to see PJC just pull the trigger when he sees daylight from three. Instead, he's usually looking for Gabe or whoever's cutting, which is fine, but we need PJC to become a killer and to take open shots when they're there.
I actually feel that way about Tolly as well. He passes up so many threes that, with his high release, have no chance to be contested in any significant way. His defense is bad, so we need him to at least produce on offense more
gumby

Post by gumby »

Alieberman wrote:It's past time for a road sweep
Tune the broom. It's coming.
Right where I want to be.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

We did what we needed to do against a team we should have beaten. Now we need to finish. UW is a dangerous enough team to give me the feeling that it's the type of road game that we have usually dropped in conference play.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

UW has always beaten us at their place for two reasons, both stemming from our lack of hustle and resultant breakdowns:

1) Outhustling us to rebounds off long misses and burning us with three-point plays of both varieties; and

2) Quicker hands on defense, creating more turnovers.

When Arizona has the rebounding advantage and limits the turnovers in Seattle, Arizona wins. Period.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

catgrad97 wrote:UW has always beaten us at their place for two reasons, both stemming from our lack of hustle and resultant breakdowns:

1) Outhustling us to rebounds off long misses and burning us with three-point plays of both varieties; and

2) Quicker hands on defense, creating more turnovers.

When Arizona has the rebounding advantage and limits the turnovers in Seattle, Arizona wins. Period.
3) Homer calls

Worst I have ever seen. Especially during the Nate Robinson era and afterwards. Not so bad the last couple of years.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I didn't see the first couple DWill games up there but thought our past few teams have had the Huskies' number up there. I didn't find it that egregious during the Brandon Roy years either IIRC.

But you're right: The Nate Robinson era was awful up there and filled my heart with a need to punish UW for a good decade after he left. Those teams knew how to fake contact for ridiculous home free-throw advantages, especially lead punk Venoy Overton.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Three more points from Tarc and we would have had three players with a double-double in points and rebounds. Too bad his shot wasn't going in last night. Just shows you how good of a rebounding team we are - including that fact that Ristic only had 3 rebound himself on a down night. Has that ever happened before on an Arizona team?
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Teams have been smart and instantly doubling Ristic. Been a while since he's made much noise.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Ristic had at least 2 shots go in, then bounce out.
catgrad97 wrote:Those teams knew how to fake contact for ridiculous home free-throw advantages, especially lead punk Venoy Overton.
I had a lot of respect for Nate being a football player also, but I really hated Overton. He was a punk off the court too, accused of rape, ended up going to jail for pimping.

Looking him up, he seems to be playing for the Seattle Flight, an IBL team. http://basketball.usbasket.com/team/USA ... 153?Page=1" target="_blank
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Washington has consistently done the same thing...play very physical, foul over and over, complain about every call, Romar gives the face with the crowd booing the most obvious of calls, until the refs wear down and won't call every foul. Sometimes, the refs stay on their game and call fouls as they should, but many times, and we have seen it against us with the full arena, the refs get cold feet and won't call every foul. So they come in waves. Venoy Overton was but one of his attacker.

And it seems to me that UW has had so much more success at home than on the road or at neutral sites...more than the obvious. Especially during their run of NCAA level teams. I hate blaming refs for games...every fan sees what they want to see in the game, remember the blown calls against them, never for them other than an occasional mention of "wow...that was pretty bad and against them....FINALLY." Every team thinks the refs hate them. In rare cases (see Vegas/He Touched the Ball) it proves true. But what UW has done in games against better opponents, namely us, seems strategic and effective, and kind of obvious Just keep slapping/grabbing/bumping...they can't call them all, right? They are counting on whistle fatigue. If it works, more power to them, I guess. But it makes for tough watching.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:Teams have been smart and instantly doubling Ristic. Been a while since he's made much noise.
Yeah. Miller's talk about how he needs better awareness and distribution was made for this moment. Dusan can fill it up if he gets singled up and has time to operate. Where he needs to improve is in handling the double and getting his quicker.
gumby

Post by gumby »

MountainCat wrote:Three more points from Tarc and we would have had three players with a double-double in points and rebounds. Too bad his shot wasn't going in last night. Just shows you how good of a rebounding team we are - including that fact that Ristic only had 3 rebound himself on a down night. Has that ever happened before on an Arizona team?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

We really, really need to beat UW this weekend. We drubbed them by 30+ in Tucson, and Trier is back. We're gonna win this one, right?
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

I agree we really need the win. Bigtime. But not all that optimistic. We looked bad except for Ryan Anderson last night. And hell, our 6 wins.. 5 are against the bottom of the conference, with two against WSU. Granted, three of our 4 losses were tough, tough roadies that we really could have won. But we didn't.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

This conference stretch is reminding me of 2010-11.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

You guys aren't inspiring much confidence! Nonsense! We're beating UW on Saturday, even if it takes six OTs.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

stop Andrews
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Teams have been smart and instantly doubling Ristic. Been a while since he's made much noise.
Yeah. Miller's talk about how he needs better awareness and distribution was made for this moment. Dusan can fill it up if he gets singled up and has time to operate. Where he needs to improve is in handling the double and getting his quicker.
Yep. He gets the ball and waits, then does what he does. Been quite a few opportunities where he could have gotten a good shot off before the double got there. Works the same when he doesn't take a shot, he pretty much waits until the second defender is on his skin before passing when he doesn't have to.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Yep. He gets the ball and waits, then does what he does. Been quite a few opportunities where he could have gotten a good shot off before the double got there. Works the same when he doesn't take a shot, he pretty much waits until the second defender is on his skin before passing when he doesn't have to.
I have some old Kevin McHale tapes, and what made him extra dangerous was his ability to be totally nonrhythmic in his post moves. He could immediately flip up a jump hook or make any number of moves he felt like.

Some of this is bc Dusan is still developing his body. He usually catches the ball with work to do to get where he wants to shoot from. As he gets stronger, he can get to better starting points for his moves, points where he doesn't need a dribble to get the shot he wants.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Beachcat97 wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:I am feeling good about @UW if Trier plays and is a full go (25+ minutes). If he is himself then we can go there and win that game and finally get the road W that this team desperately needs.
If we lose any of the next four games, our Pac title hopes will dim. Fortunately, OR plays Utah this week, so one of them will be losing. Then OR has to go to Cal. The Pac race will become clearer soon.
Utah losing last night didn't hurt. A win tomorrow would be huge.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

That UW win felt huge. That is exactly the game we lost to Providence, UCLA, USC and Cal. Finally we close one out strong on the road and take a close game.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

and our guys looked a lot better defensively on this trip. good progress.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

To stay on the Dusan theme, he had a real nice game tonight that will be overshadowed by Anderson's brilliance
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

rgdeuce wrote:To stay on the Dusan theme, he had a real nice game tonight that will be overshadowed by Anderson's brilliance
11 pts on 4 of 7 shooting but only 3 boards.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Love it, what an ass!
This is bassnights response to Scheer:
@JasonScheer It helps when boosters are reliable to cover seven figures every year under the table, but he's met his match in Oregon.
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

That Miller quote about UW attendance is blowing up on Twitter. Husky fans salty about this one.
gumby

Post by gumby »

First sellout in four years. Truth!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

gumby wrote:First sellout in four years. Truth!
Actually they were 734 people short.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

FightWildcatsFight wrote:That Miller quote about UW attendance is blowing up on Twitter. Husky fans salty about this one.
Well sorry, they don't get that crowd for anyone else. We get it every night.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

FightWildcatsFight wrote:That Miller quote about UW attendance is blowing up on Twitter. Husky fans salty about this one.
I don't get why, it's completely true. Teams only have good attendance when Arizona comes.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

11/05/15 Seattle Pacific Seattle Pacific Attendance: 4978
11/19/15 Mount St. Mary's Attendance: 5381
11/21/15 PENN Attendance: 6495
12/6/15 Cal State Fullerton Attendance: 5821
12/08/15 TCU Attendance: 5651
12/12/15 Montana Attendance: 6647
12/19/15 Oakland Attendance: 5836
12/22/15 Seattle University Attendance: 6921
12/27/15 UC Santa Barbara Attendance: 7376
1/1/16 UCLA Attendance: 6920
01/03/16 USC Attendance: 7031
01/20/16 Colorado Attendance: 6325
01/24/16 Utah Attendance: 8073
02/03/16 Arizona State Arizona State
02/06/16 Arizona Attendance: 9266

One of these things is not like the other.

P.S. I have too much time on my hands.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

We are the yankees of college basketball
Last edited by rgdeuce on Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

84Cat wrote:Love it, what an ass!
This is bassnights response to Scheer:
@JasonScheer It helps when boosters are reliable to cover seven figures every year under the table, but he's met his match in Oregon.
:lol:
actually, uw has made just 16 tournament appearances in all its storied history, and has only been in the final 8 (but not the elite eight) twice -- although that was back when the tourney field was limited to just eight teams back in like the 1940s
gumby

Post by gumby »

UAEebs86 wrote:
gumby wrote:First sellout in four years. Truth!
Actually they were 734 people short.
That's what my son texted me from .... The Dawg Pound. Bragging rights!
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

dirtbags wrote: :lol:
actually, uw has made just 16 tournament appearances in all its storied history, and has only been in the final 8 (but not the elite eight) twice -- although that was back when the tourney field was limited to just eight teams back in like the 1940s
Damn just 16? That's only 2 more than ASu if you count the ones that were vacated.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

And here I thought the Pac-12 had grown up a bit finally this basketball season. Good thing Basnight is still tweeting excuses for UW to remind everyone how much the rest of the conference still looks up to Arizona.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Well, they did it. Big road sweep. They'll need another one vs. Utah and Colorado in a couple weeks. But first we get to take some revenge on the SoCal schools. Here's to seeing a pouty Bryce leaving McKale on Friday evening. Bear Down and beat UCLA!
Last edited by Beachcat97 on Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Leaving Kevin? The Navy? Let's ask Olsen.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »