lets talk '16

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Zero

Re: lets talk '16

Post by Zero »

So badass. Wish I made it tonight. Sounded amazing in the second half. I know Tyus Jones little brother was there too.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

rgdeuce wrote:One of the best crowd games ive been to in my life. Maybe top 5. May as well turn all the crystal balls to Arizona after he sat through this game. There were grown ass adults covering their ears. U aint gettin that total experience at St Johns or NC State
I was at the game as well and agree 100%. All the love we gave for the former Cats there probably impressed him too. An outsider would probably assume we got a FF/NC the way we went nuts for Rondae, Stanley, and especially TJ.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

The atmosphere was outstanding for most of the second half... 1st half was pretty marginal IMO - but really came alive. The alley oop from York to Trier is what really got the crowd ignited for good.

Pretty ugly game in many ways but they got going when they needed to and pulled out a W, which was huge. ASU beating 'SC was also big... we take care of biz on Sunday and we will be in good position going down the stretch. Stanford somehow upsets the Ducks as well and we are sitting pretty.

The reception RHJ and Stanimal got from the crowd was enthusiastic, but the response to TJ was deafening.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

This was probably the first AZ/UCLA game I wasn't able to watch for the last 5 or 6 years. Sounds like I missed a fun one.

And I now expect AZ to be right where we want to be with both RA and JJ.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I kept looking over at him to see if I could get any read, but kid was pretty stonefaced. Was about 3 sections over from him. But, man...coming alive for RHJ and Stanley and TJ...and even Gene...has to make an impact. That "A Player's Program" slogan is more than propoganda...it is a way of operating that we owe, first and foremost, to Lute, but then owe a ridiculous amount of respect to CSM and his willingness to rebuild this program from a self-caused crater yet allow the narrative to be that we have always been a power. Miller has done what many coaches could not, at least not as whole heartedly and passionately as Miller has...he has allowed the program to be the focus to the deflection of the incredible job he has done restoring us to national prominence from the 2 year Lute hokey pokey period. His rebuild here was jaw dropping...from the moment he made the decision to be our coach, he has built this program from the Nick Wise and who? 2010 to getting the USC 3 (wasn't automatic) and d putting us right back atop the west while other programs were still off getting the salt to season what they thought was a meal of our corpse.

We have jackasses in our fanbase talking about whether Miller is the long term solution since he can't get to final fours...and that kind of lunacy is allowed to happen. both because of his stunning early success and this players program narrative. Joe Dumbass just sees Sweet 16 in 2009 and says "what drop off? Pennell was a tournament coach, by God." They don't remember the feeling after losing to the beard in Staples knowing the tourney ride was over, only to get saved by reputation and a really good SOS filled with losses, then getting that break vs Cleveland St in round 2 before the Louisville asskicking. Part of the reason such idiocy is feasible is because Miller came in saying "this is Lute's program, it is Steve Kerr's program, it is Miles Simon's program, and I am just steering it as the new steward." He downplayed the amazing work he did early, the constant tinkering to make it work, the trial and error of having to pursue questionable character just to get the stars next to the name that the fanbase wanted to see.

Miller has lost one game to a lower seeded team in the tournament...as a 1 to a 2. Given our history of tournament heartbreaks, that is pretty remarkable. I'd take another decade of Elite Eights to avoid another Santa Clara. But he is going to get us through as some point, because we are too consistently good and there to do it. Not this yeaf, likely, but in Glendale? How cool would that be?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Harvey Specter wrote:The atmosphere was outstanding for most of the second half... 1st half was pretty marginal IMO - but really came alive. The alley oop from York to Trier is what really got the crowd ignited for good.

Pretty ugly game in many ways but they got going when they needed to and pulled out a W, which was huge. ASU beating 'SC was also big... we take care of biz on Sunday and we will be in good position going down the stretch. Stanford somehow upsets the Ducks as well and we are sitting pretty.

The reception RHJ and Stanimal got from the crowd was enthusiastic, but the response to TJ was deafening.
For how that first half was, I think the crowd did a pretty damn good job. At multiple times the crowd was trying to will the guys back into it. But yea, the second half was crazy. That Zo oop almost tore the roof off and pushed it to the next level. And If anyone doubted TJ is the most beloved former player now, last night removed any doubt. Rondae and Stanley were loud but when TJ got up on the board it was nuts. I was told before the game they were gonna be in the house so i was wondering where the heck TJ was after they showed Rondae and Stanley together. That entrance from the tunnel added to it even more.

Rondae was chopping it up w everyone after the game. Autographs, pictures w whoever asked, hugs for the cheerleaders and fans. It was really cool. It really is a big family. And with the level Miller is recruiting at, its going to get even crazier. Its gonna get to a point where we have more than 20 guys in the NBA at one time.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

EVCat wrote:I kept looking over at him to see if I could get any read, but kid was pretty stonefaced. Was about 3 sections over from him. But, man...coming alive for RHJ and Stanley and TJ...and even Gene...has to make an impact. That "A Player's Program" slogan is more than propoganda...it is a way of operating that we owe, first and foremost, to Lute, but then owe a ridiculous amount of respect to CSM and his willingness to rebuild this program from a self-caused crater yet allow the narrative to be that we have always been a power. Miller has done what many coaches could not, at least not as whole heartedly and passionately as Miller has...he has allowed the program to be the focus to the deflection of the incredible job he has done restoring us to national prominence from the 2 year Lute hokey pokey period. His rebuild here was jaw dropping...from the moment he made the decision to be our coach, he has built this program from the Nick Wise and who? 2010 to getting the USC 3 (wasn't automatic) and d putting us right back atop the west while other programs were still off getting the salt to season what they thought was a meal of our corpse.

We have jackasses in our fanbase talking about whether Miller is the long term solution since he can't get to final fours...and that kind of lunacy is allowed to happen. both because of his stunning early success and this players program narrative. Joe Dumbass just sees Sweet 16 in 2009 and says "what drop off? Pennell was a tournament coach, by God." They don't remember the feeling after losing to the beard in Staples knowing the tourney ride was over, only to get saved by reputation and a really good SOS filled with losses, then getting that break vs Cleveland St in round 2 before the Louisville asskicking. Part of the reason such idiocy is feasible is because Miller came in saying "this is Lute's program, it is Steve Kerr's program, it is Miles Simon's program, and I am just steering it as the new steward." He downplayed the amazing work he did early, the constant tinkering to make it work, the trial and error of having to pursue questionable character just to get the stars next to the name that the fanbase wanted to see.

Miller has lost one game to a lower seeded team in the tournament...as a 1 to a 2. Given our history of tournament heartbreaks, that is pretty remarkable. I'd take another decade of Elite Eights to avoid another Santa Clara. But he is going to get us through as some point, because we are too consistently good and there to do it. Not this yeaf, likely, but in Glendale? How cool would that be?

100% agree w everything in this post. Well said.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

84Cat wrote:
If Trier leaves, he's ours. If not, doesn't really make sense for him to come to AZ.

And I'd rather have Trier.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

You're assuming Alkins is a one and done.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

84Cat wrote:

Rawle Alkins now 62%?

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/ ... redictions" target="_blank
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Puerco wrote:You're assuming Alkins is a one and done.
Sorta, yes. He's rated higher than Trier and has the look of a one and done guy. Heck, Ray Smith might've been one and done had he been healthy this year.

I just think Trier and Alkins fit the same role in CSM's system, and I doubt they'll want to split those minutes next season. Why would Alkins want to play 15 minutes per game when he can play 25 to 30 somewhere else?
gumby

Post by gumby »

I had him at 61 percent.
Right where I want to be.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Puerco wrote:You're assuming Alkins is a one and done.
I don't think there's much doubt Alkins sees himself as that. So, either he gets to that expectation or you wonder how not acheiving that goal affects him.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

If Alkins ends up here because Trier leaves, fine. Alkins is a good player, and he'll do well at AZ.

But I like Trier a lot and hope he stays. Great attitude, great talent...I really wanna see him as a soph with our insane incoming class.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Jan. 21 | 11:29PM

"Imagine that lineup," Alkins said of a recruiting class that included himself, Simmons and Jackson.

https://www.sny.tv/college-recruiting/n ... /162548046" target="_blank
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

HiCat wrote:Jan. 21 | 11:29PM

"Imagine that lineup," Alkins said of a recruiting class that included himself, Simmons and Jackson.

https://www.sny.tv/college-recruiting/n ... /162548046" target="_blank
Not to mention LM. Hey, if Trier is leaving, I'm pretty sure we'd be sufficiently consoled by a class of LM, KS, RA, and JJ. As others have noted, it may be the best recruiting class in AZ history.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

All I know is, we are going to be in good shape next year and moving forward, and Miller hasn't "lost it" as all the outsiders have said. Its fun watching this all play out
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

rgdeuce wrote:All I know is, we are going to be in good shape next year and moving forward, and Miller hasn't "lost it" as all the outsiders have said. Its fun watching this all play out
Who said Miller has lost it? Not sure where that perception comes from? We've won two straight Pac titles and are currently atop the standings. I really think this has to do with CSM's lack of FF appearances. The coaches who've gotten close but haven't reached a FF yet are always subjected to this type of criticism.

CSM has us "right where we want to be."
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:All I know is, we are going to be in good shape next year and moving forward, and Miller hasn't "lost it" as all the outsiders have said. Its fun watching this all play out
Who said Miller has lost it? Not sure where that perception comes from? We've won two straight Pac titles and are currently atop the standings. I really think this has to do with CSM's lack of FF appearances. The coaches who've gotten close but haven't reached a FF yet are always subjected to this type of criticism.

CSM has us "right where we want to be."
When we lost Leaf and were down to zero 2016 recruits, it got a little dramatic.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Plenty of people here said as much when our 16 class developed slower than usual and Leaf left, plus Rabb and losing guys to UCLA and Washington. Rumblings were stronger elsewhere too.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

rgdeuce wrote:Plenty of people here said as much when our 16 class developed slower than usual and Leaf left, plus Rabb and losing guys to UCLA and Washington. Rumblings were stronger elsewhere too.
I'll admit to worrying a bit when Rabb landed at Cal, after our robust efforts to get him to AZ, but it's easy to see now that he just wanted to stay home. And Cal is just an awesome place to be a student, so it makes perfect sense to me.

But AZ's appeal is stronger than ever. Numerous AZ guys are thriving in the pros, we're in the tourney every year, and CSM is very highly regarded by today's HS players. The Simmons commitment came out of nowhere. Or did it? Maybe CSM was close on that one all along but played it very close to the vest. I think the same is going on right now with JJ. He's coming to AZ. Alkins is more of a wild card.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Both Simmons and Alkins (where things look to outsiders right now at least) came out of nowhere. Lets not pretend the sky was falling with many though lol.
gumby

Post by gumby »

rgdeuce wrote:Both Simmons and Alkins (where things look to outsiders right now at least) came out of nowhere. Lets not pretend the sky was falling with many though lol.
Class of 17 is a mess. Pass it on ...

And don't get me started on 2018. Earn you money, Miller!
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Miller pursuing another Euro big?? He's a 2016 recruit

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball ... llege-ball" target="_blank
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dmjcat wrote:Miller pursuing another Euro big?? He's a 2016 recruit

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball ... llege-ball" target="_blank

At the FIBA U18 European Championships this past summer, Yurtseven averaged 9.8 points and 8.7 rebounds through nine games.

Lauri Markkanen, the MVP of the FIBA U18s, averaged 18.2 PPG and 6.3 RPG so Yurtseven is right up there.

Or should I say: "YurtSEVUN!".
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

yurtseven-footer amirite
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Elliott Pitts steps away from the Wildcats team

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball ... dcats-team" target="_blank
97cats

Post by 97cats »

I feel bad for him
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Miller said academics twice.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Merkin wrote:Miller said academics twice.
Yeah, must be related.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

dumb
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

97cats wrote:I feel bad for him
Think we all would if we had one clue of what was going on.

Anyway, best to Elliott in all his future endeavors.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Reyditudo says on his UA basketball FB group that it's not academics FWIW.

I know Ben Hansen knows too, but if it's important to Pitts to leave it quiet that's good enough for me.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Yeah.. An academic issue is not something Miller would have to be quiet about (to a point). An underlying issue that can cause academic issues (among other things), completely different story.
85Cat

Post by 85Cat »

I think the academics part of it has to do with keeping him in good academic standing, so that we don't get penalized for him dropping out or not finishing his classes.

I'm sorry for Pitts and hope whatever it is, it doesn't follow him long term.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

not academics
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/e ... 718d6.html" target="_blank
Even though he played in only seven games this season, he won’t get the year back of eligibility unless he files a successful waiver, so he will have only one year left to play at UA or elsewhere.
Could he successfully apply for a semester redshirt and still have a year and a half of eligibility left?

Victor only has 2 years left at LSU. Played half a season here and there with 2 redshirt semesters at both
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Let's be real for a minute. Here is our group of guards next year:

KA, PJC, JS, KS, plus likely either AT and/or Alkins.

That's 5 to 6 guards. Not sure how EP fits in. It would be one thing if were a star, where his role and minutes were more or less assured. But he's really a role player, right?

I wish EP well and hope he completes his degree and finds success. Just not seeing where he fits in going forward.
az91

Post by az91 »

I hope Pitts can get things figured out in the future. I think his decision to leave the team altogether was best for both parties. I don't expect him to return.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Jefe wrote:http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/e ... 718d6.html
Even though he played in only seven games this season, he won’t get the year back of eligibility unless he files a successful waiver, so he will have only one year left to play at UA or elsewhere.
Could he successfully apply for a semester redshirt and still have a year and a half of eligibility left?

Victor only has 2 years left at LSU. Played half a season here and there with 2 redshirt semesters at both

My understanding is you need to sit out a full year at your next school, no matter when you played last. At least for 4-4, I think the rules for 4-2-4 are different which does not affect Pitt.

Pitt is no Ryan Anderson, so no one is going to give him 2 years worth of scholarships for one year of playing. I imagine if he does leave it will be to a Div II school like Mo Tang did with Chaminade.

Besides what ever personal issue he has to deal with which is apparently not academics may raise red flags at his new school.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Excited to see how the rest of this season unfolds. I think we will close strong. Think about our group, we have 8 starters. Every one of the top 8 has started and logged big minutes at some point this season.

We have grown, big ass men on the front line. Tarc and Anderson are like 23 years old and fully matured. Big and strong. Allen and Tolly have to be 22 along with York. Huge upside going down the stretch.

Excited, excited, excited
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azcat49 wrote: We have grown, big ass men on the front line. Tarc and Anderson are like 23 years old and fully matured. Big and strong. Allen and Tolly have to be 22 along with York. Huge upside going down the stretch.

Excited, excited, excited
Me too, az, me too. Really excited to see who's in our region. Not a lot of teams out there I'd say we have no chance against. MSU, OK, KU, Nova...would prefer to avoid those four. But if you wanna be the best you gotta beat the best, as we saw in '97 when we took down three #1s.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Good decision, and I say that as someone who doesn't have a clue what's going on.

To reiterate, good decision.
DaddyO'Cat

Post by DaddyO'Cat »

Ok guys, here's my one time guess as to what's up with EP. His biz is his biz. I think he may have developed schizophrenia. It hits guys around that age sometimes. Psychologist on the bench, beautiful mind movie for some of you to digest.. and so on.. Probably way off base but something to throw into the "hmmm" mix. Once. Wish him the best and the support he needs to take a different course in his life than he imagined. At least for now.
az91

Post by az91 »

DaddyO'Cat wrote:Ok guys, here's my one time guess as to what's up with EP. His biz is his biz. I think he may have developed schizophrenia. It hits guys around that age sometimes. Psychologist on the bench, beautiful mind movie for some of you to digest.. and so on.. Probably way off base but something to throw into the "hmmm" mix. Once. Wish him the best and the support he needs to take a different course in his life than he imagined. At least for now.
Hmm, I was sort of thinking something similar. In any event, if Pitts never returns, it will be one of the saddest ends of a basketball career that we have seen at U of A.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

az91 wrote:
DaddyO'Cat wrote:Ok guys, here's my one time guess as to what's up with EP. His biz is his biz. I think he may have developed schizophrenia. It hits guys around that age sometimes. Psychologist on the bench, beautiful mind movie for some of you to digest.. and so on.. Probably way off base but something to throw into the "hmmm" mix. Once. Wish him the best and the support he needs to take a different course in his life than he imagined. At least for now.
Hmm, I was sort of thinking something similar. In any event, if Pitts never returns, it will be one of the saddest ends of a basketball career that we have seen at U of A.
Agree on the sad part.....especially because he looked like he got along with his teammates.....but if it was an issue as speculated above, why would this cause him not to play? I'm still at a loss for any reason which makes sense......strange situation is an understatement.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Howard sterns penis
Last edited by rgdeuce on Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Nothing to do with mental health.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Would you believe dental health?