What we need to do for next year 2016-2017

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

TheGreatCatsby

What we need to do for next year 2016-2017

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Tonight's 1st round tourney exit was a microcosm of the whole season...bad guard play, no defense, no leadership. Just an overall average team having lost a lot of our best players from last year. Happens to the best of 'em. But to repeat this sh*t show next year would be a program tragedy. Just kind of deflated with how bad we played tonight. I never really bought into this team all year, was fun at times, but we didn't have 1 single good road game really outside Gonzaga. Just disappointment outside McKale all year long...but there was some fun McKale games this year, UCLA and Cal were awesome.

SO we know we have Kobi Simmons, Markkannen, and Alkins coming in. While that class is pretty darn decent, and not done yet, that as it stands alone isn't going to cut it with our returning players, even assuming Trier comes back, which he should, simply because our guard play is just too atrocious to win in the tournament. The allen/pjc combo isn't going to cut it. Seems to me we absolutely need 1-2 more guards for next year, either via recruit or grad transfer.

Any Tyus Jones types still available?
Frybry02

Re: What we need to do for next year 2016-2017

Post by Frybry02 »

I am really trying to get excited about next year. Many posters here are talking final four if JJ commits and I just don't see it. I am usually over optimistic. Knowing what I know today, I see 3 glaring weaknesses.

1. PG play
2. Interior defense without Zeus
3. Leader

Can that change 7 months from now? Sure.

Is reasonable to expect these three things to happen?
Simmons is going to have to be incredible or PJC surprises us all.
Comanche becomes our best interior defender.
I have no clue who becomes the emotional leader on this team. PJC?

I think not.
HibachiZero

Post by HibachiZero »

it all comes down to guard play, pg in particular. I am so sick of not having quality point guards. We used to be known for this. Besides TJ, we have been missing this. Hopefully Kobi and Rawle will help. Are either of them a true point?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Who are our seniors next year?
Who is our PG?

I seriously don't know (having a toddler and full time jobs sucks the life out of you, but in a great way)
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

CalStateTempe wrote:Who are our seniors next year?
Who is our PG?

I seriously don't know (having a toddler and full time jobs sucks the life out of you, but in a great way)
Allen is our senior
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

rediscover our identity
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

there are concerns obviously. But give me elite talent and heart and we can work out the details later. This team had little of both and made the weaknesses stand out that much more
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Get athletes.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

it starts and ends with PG -- outside Turner it was the worst in 30(ish) years

must. get. better.
az91

Post by az91 »

CalStateTempe wrote: Who is our PG?
Kobi Simmons? Can he be any worse than what we had this year?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

To be fair to PJC, he was pretty damn good last night. My main worries for next year:

1. Interior defense
2. Consistently excellent PG play
3. Perimeter scoring if Trier leaves and JJ doesn't come

For #1 I hope that Commanche blossoms in the off season. If so, he starts over Ristic, because Deuce has regressed over the second half of the year. Of course the defensive lightbulb could blink on for Deuce during the off season as well. He'll be looked to as a leader for the post players, so he needs to step up on both ends of the floor.

For #2 I hope between Allen, PJC, and Simmons we'll find someone consistent. I can't tell enough about Simmons' defense from the mix tapes I've seen. Does anyone know? Seen him play a real game?

#3 is too speculative to worry about.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
michcat

Post by michcat »

Pg pg pg! Put vanvleet or Angel Rodriguez on this team and this is a final four team.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Seriously may have to look for a grad transfer PG. Simmons is a hell of a talent, but he's far from a steady PG at this point.

Truly amazing that the only point guard Sean Miller has had at Arizona that's been worth a damn was a transfer from Duquesne. Just mind boggling at this point.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Lute developed PGs, save Bibby who was the best talent at the position the state of Arizona had produced in decades.

We want PGs, but we want them now. Steve Kerr took five years. Damon Stoudamire was still jittery and shaky after two.

We've been down the road of the grad transfer PG before, and Mark Lyons was great for what he was, but not the answer we're looking for.

There are kids that are out there if the culture to develop is there.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Grad transfers are almost a negative, it's just slapping on a bandaid for a quick fix when we should be getting stitches.

Guys like Deron Lamb, Quinn cook, Peyton Siva, Kemba, Russ Smith, Napier etc took time to develop (some high recruits).

Grad transfers come in and that's the best they're going to be - not much room to improve as upperclassmen as they likely already hit their peak or plateaus (less time in the system).
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Main Event wrote:Get athletes.
Yes.

Proof=Oregon, Cal.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Kadeem Allen showed flashes of what he can do as a 2 guard this year. He can score and will be 24 years old next year. I think if Trier does leave than we can move him to the 2 with Alkins and let PJC/Simmons handle the point.

PG: PJC/Simmons (Don't know who will start)
SG: Allen/Alkins
SF: Smith
PF:Markennen
C: Ristic/Comanche

Wildcards: Ferguson, Jackson, Pitts, and Trier.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

catinfl wrote:Kadeem Allen showed flashes of what he can do as a 2 guard this year. He can score and will be 24 years old next year. I think if Trier does leave than we can move him to the 2 with Alkins and let PJC/Simmons handle the point.

Simon?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Bring in Bo Ryan as a consultant for 2 weeks during the summer:

1 Week on how to execute the pick & roll
1 Week on how to defend the pick & roll

Yes, I know he's a lecharous old bastard but his teams executed the Pick & Roll perfectly. And next year we are going to have some personnel for whom the pick & roll is perfectly suited: Lauri Markkanen & Alkins/Simmons
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

We need to get JJ to commit to AZ. If that happens, all is right in Tucson because...

KA/KS/PJC
AT or RA
JJ
LM/RS
DR/CC

That's a Pac champion.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I agree with those that say we need better PG play and I don't think we need a 5 star great athlete to get thst. Just look at Oregon. They are stirred by an unheralded recruit from Tempe at PG. That little Benson kid never turns it over and always gets his team into a flow on offense.

Miller should use a scholly on a kid like that who is a 4 year guy. Only so many shots on the floor anyway
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

ASUHATER! wrote:
catinfl wrote:Kadeem Allen showed flashes of what he can do as a 2 guard this year. He can score and will be 24 years old next year. I think if Trier does leave than we can move him to the 2 with Alkins and let PJC/Simmons handle the point.

Simon?
Put him in the category of wildcard. I could see him developing and getting good minutes next year or I could see him not playing.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

agree with all that PG play was the big component missing. Yes, clear alpha dog leadership lacked too, but this was a very unique team in that we had 3 upperclassmen who had logged 0 minutes with this team or in an NCAA tournament prior to this year (Tollefson, RA, Kadeem). York and Zeus are not natural leaders...at least not on a court (Zeus may be a beast in the boardroom in the future for all I know). Our best player was a freshman, and on a team loaded with seniors, so ai can see why he may have been discouraged fom leading. I think that is a problem that takes care of itself next year. Many new parts, plenty of opportunity to fid leadership.

The PG issue was real. I am not going to talk about how Miller may be deficient here, because I don't think that is fair. Lyons was exactly what we needed at the time, Momo was part of a prayer-answered and quickly assembled 1st class, and Turner was everyone's idea of the answer. It is not like Miller fails to address the position or has a track record of not developing what he gets. PJC appears to be a miss. I agree with those who say we should take a swipe at a senior transfer, if for no other reason than one more option to find the right guy. Simmons/PJC/maybe a 2nd year Trier in spot minutes and, if we can, a senior transfer. Go after a mid major ball protector...someone who we could put on the floor with a roster of scorers and not worry about forcing or turning the ball over. Also, to be fair, adding some different players might help whomever is PG improve...Zeus isn't great at making a guard look good with his catch issues, Gabe never made people pay for overplaying, and we were missing explosive wing play.

We were flawed, but also drew a team that was perfectly suited to exaggerate our flaws. In so many ways, this was a transition/fill the gap season. The team was like a road show of disparate pieces thrown together to keep the act going.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

azcat49 wrote:I agree with those that say we need better PG play and I don't think we need a 5 star great athlete to get thst. Just look at Oregon. They are stirred by an unheralded recruit from Tempe at PG. That little Benson kid never turns it over and always gets his team into a flow on offense.

Miller should use a scholly on a kid like that who is a 4 year guy. Only so many shots on the floor anyway
exactly.

That was TJ's focus and he's playing in the league. Need a glue guy to let the 5*'s shine, get their shots, and keep everyone going in the same direction as a floor general.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Tyus Jones was a McDonald's AA, and there aren't a ton of those guys around at any point in time, let alone this late in the recruiting season. A few of my thoughts on our situation as it relates to PG's.

First, Miller really isn't doing that poorly. I think PG is the position where we've had the fewest guys he's brought in pan out, but even there, it isn't a terrible number. Momo and Lyons were adequate. TJ was very good. Josiah was a bust and PJC/Allen so far are slightly under expectations. In his worst area, Miller has about a 50% success rate, which isn't bad when you factor in recruiting at the beginning of his tenure here.

Next, it's seductive to think the answer is a new face who will ride in on a white horse to save us. The reality is we need answers from our current roster because that savior almost never comes. Allen never seemed he same post sickness, so he needs to get to his OOC form plus upgrades. Simmons has talent, so hopefully he is here and adjusting ASAP.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

How is everyone feeling about our big men next season? DR, LM, and CC are already in the mix. How good can this group be on defense? When I watch UNC play, they appear to have the most talented bigs of any team left in the tourney. Not sure if we'll be able to hang with a team like that next season.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:How is everyone feeling about our big men next season? DR, LM, and CC are already in the mix. How good can this group be on defense? When I watch UNC play, they appear to have the most talented bigs of any team left in the tourney. Not sure if we'll be able to hang with a team like that next season.
Dusan needs to get his confidence back. He's never gonna be a dominator on D, but he needs to be a rim protector and not a complete liability on pick and roll.

Lauri should be fine on O, bc he has an extremely good skill set. He can be good on D because he has good mobility and should continue to fill out. You never know how someone adapts to the college level, though.

CC has the highest defensive upside. He just needs to continue to learn, develop and physically grow. He's gonna be good if he keeps improving, and it's the rate of improvement that matters.

As an offshoot, do we land JJ or Ferguson, who allow us to rotate a 3 into the 4 slot? If not, maybe looking towards a grad transfer?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:How is everyone feeling about our big men next season? DR, LM, and CC are already in the mix. How good can this group be on defense? When I watch UNC play, they appear to have the most talented bigs of any team left in the tourney. Not sure if we'll be able to hang with a team like that next season.
Dusan needs to get his confidence back. He's never gonna be a dominator on D, but he needs to be a rim protector and not a complete liability on pick and roll.

Lauri should be fine on O, bc he has an extremely good skill set. He can be good on D because he has good mobility and should continue to fill out. You never know how someone adapts to the college level, though.

CC has the highest defensive upside. He just needs to continue to learn, develop and physically grow. He's gonna be good if he keeps improving, and it's the rate of improvement that matters.

As an offshoot, do we land JJ or Ferguson, who allow us to rotate a 3 into the 4 slot? If not, maybe looking towards a grad transfer?
My concern is that we're one injury away from being very thin up front. We saw how RS's injury impacted the depth of this past season's team, and I'm hoping to avoid this predicament going forward. We need big bodies on the bench, even an Angelo Chol type. A 6'9 guy who can defend, board, and hit FTs. Not sure we've had this player recently.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

My concern is that we're one injury away from being very thin up front. We saw how RS's injury impacted the depth of this past season's team, and I'm hoping to avoid this predicament going forward. We need big bodies on the bench, even an Angelo Chol type. A 6'9 guy who can defend, board, and hit FTs. Not sure we've had this player recently.
Matt Korcheck.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote:
Matt Korcheck.
Right. There's no Korcheck on next year's team. We're going to be a guard-oriented team, which is fine, but I wonder how we'll defend against bigger, stronger teams.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I agree. I floated a 4/5 grad transfer a while back as the piece we needed most for 16-17 and I'd stand by that. I think we should be realistic about exactly how good a player we get, but having a backup would go a long way.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

As with every other discussion of next season, JJ impacts this area. He's a very large, athletic player who will present match up problems with almost everyone. So having him on our team offsets our big man problem, to some extent. But playing devil's advocate, if he doesn't come, we're looking at:

KS/KA
AT/RA
RS
LM
DR

I'm not sure whether RS can guard bigger players. At any rate, it's a guard/wing-oriented lineup. Will LM be better than Ashley? Will RS be an excellent defender? Can DR stay out of foul trouble and give us 10-12 ppg?