When do we start recruiting actual Point Guards?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: When do we start recruiting actual Point Guards?

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:We have Kobi Simmons, Kadeem Allen, and PJC. We're not getting a grad transfer PG who is better than those three.

I think it's time we come to grips with three facts:

1) A TJ McConnell-type will not be running this team next year.
2) TJ McConnell-types are exceedingly rare.
3) You don't need a TJ McConnell type PG to win a championship.
I agree with all of that and I don't see why a grad transfer would seriously consider us with 3 pg's slated to be here in 16-17.

I don't think we really want a TJ McConnell type, we want TJ back. It sucks, but he's gone. PJC and Kadeem need to get better and Kobi needs to get ready. Regardless of who we have, they still have to produce.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

The other little thing to keep in mind is that you can reach a FF and win a title with a freshman PG. Duke and UK have done it recently.
WildcatLouis

Post by WildcatLouis »

Longhorned wrote:Kobi isn't a combo guard. I'm not speaking from my opinion grounded in personal expertise, but as a fact. He's a point guard. Period. He's scouted as point guard and recruited as a point guard. He's evaluated as an elite point guard.

If I had to guess, 97cats was comparing him him to the last two Arizona point guards, not saying he's like a 4-year combo guard asked to play the point.

But if there's one thing I'm certain of, the myth that Kobi Simmons isn't a point guard will get repeated over and over again anyway.

Still, Arizona will be led by an elite point guard next season for the first time since Lute Olson was coach, and that isn't a comparison to Shakur (who was misevaluated on mental makeup).
It would be awesome if Kobi were ready to come in and take the reins at point guard. We could once again tout UA's "massive" size:

PG: Simmons (6'6")
SG: Trier (6'4") or Jackson (6'7")
SF: Smith (6'8") or Jackson (6'7")
PF: Markkanen (6'11")
C: Ristic (7'0") or Comanche (6'10")

That is a lot of length for another team to deal with.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

we worry too much, next year is going to be fun. Only thing I am worried about right now is landing JJ and perhaps having one of Trier or Ferguson. On a lesser scale, Simon sticking around.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

rgdeuce wrote:we worry too much, next year is going to be fun. Only thing I am worried about right now is landing JJ and perhaps having one of Trier or Ferguson. On a lesser scale, Simon sticking around.
I don't think Arizona fans, by and large, want to have fun. I am guilty of it, too. Putting so much pressure on outcome that the journey is no fun. The, in my mind, false narrative of Final Four or Bust will especially affect 2016-17 because of the FF location. Yet this year is the only year I really walked away from a Sean Miller coached team disappointed. I understood what happened, but I was disappointed. I didn't leave 2011, 2013, 2014, or 2015 disappointed. 2012 was disappointing, but what happened happened. We were not a quality team. And 2010 was so different as to almost have been a different program..

Next year should be fun. I really think we will have an edge that was missing this year. We had a lot of nice guys this year, and some selfish guys, but mostly just a decent bunch of disparate pieces thrown together with no cohesiveness or collective goal because that is what happens when you lose 4 starters and 3 one and dones in 3 years and a Ray Smith to injury and a Craig Victor to transfer. You have to throw something together. All these pieces from somewhere else thrown together with 2 real vets and a super freshman. Shit...we almost had a generational gap between our front court and our 2 guard.

I am going to enjoy next year. I will start to get stomach pains before our first or, if god willing and the season we should have puts us at a high seed, second NCAA game. Until the, I will follow the JJ recruitment with interest and then shut down immediately when that is done and revisit this come the start of practice.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

EVCat wrote:I am going to enjoy next year. I will start to get stomach pains before our first or, if god willing and the season we should have puts us at a high seed, second NCAA game. Until the, I will follow the JJ recruitment with interest and then shut down immediately when that is done and revisit this come the start of practice.
This.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:If we're getting a grad transfer, it will be a big man.
My guess as well, with the caveat of a possible combo forward IF we miss out on both Ferguson and Jackson. It would make sense to take a traditional transfer that's good enough as well if available.

Someone like this guy: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... ory-holden" target="_blank
DaddyO'Cat

Post by DaddyO'Cat »

Olsondogg wrote:Just to be clear, everyone is writing off PJC, right?
Not me. He's a natural point. Has good vision and instincts looking for teammates. Shoots well enough at the 3 so far. All he needs to do is develop a pull up jumper. On D he needs to swipe at the ball more, ALA Chris Rodgers... (That was the only thing Rodgers was good). Disrupt and freeze the ball handler, otherwise he could get backed down to the basket due to his small stature... but isn't the pack line supposed to Provide help D? Anyway, if he makes the jump in maturity with his game, then right on... I think he'll be alright especially with the fire power we got coming in... if not.. then he's going down the path of Jordin Mayes. Whatever happened to that guy anyway?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Merkin wrote:
cpt wrote:Any possibility of a transfer PG?
I have no insider knowledge, but Miller said they are bringing in 4 or 5 guys this year. He has 3 on the way, and Jackson would make 4.

That was before Pitts bailed too. If Trier goes pro, and/or PJC/Simon transfer that's even more slots available.

So I imagine CSM is looking to see who is available.

Jeff Borzello

‎@jeffborzello

Arizona reached out to Delaware transfer Kory Holden tonight. Second-team All-CAA guard.
6:45 PM - 23 Mar 2016

43 43 Retweets
http://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball ... ory-holden" target="_blank
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

If we get Ferguson, why would we need another guard instead of a big?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

catgrad97 wrote:If we get Ferguson, why would we need another guard instead of a big?
He's a traditional transfer a la TJ McConnell. He would be sitting out next season so he's a non factor in the short term.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

EVCat wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:we worry too much, next year is going to be fun. Only thing I am worried about right now is landing JJ and perhaps having one of Trier or Ferguson. On a lesser scale, Simon sticking around.
I don't think Arizona fans, by and large, want to have fun. I am guilty of it, too. Putting so much pressure on outcome that the journey is no fun. The, in my mind, false narrative of Final Four or Bust will especially affect 2016-17 because of the FF location. Yet this year is the only year I really walked away from a Sean Miller coached team disappointed. I understood what happened, but I was disappointed. I didn't leave 2011, 2013, 2014, or 2015 disappointed. 2012 was disappointing, but what happened happened. We were not a quality team. And 2010 was so different as to almost have been a different program..

Next year should be fun. I really think we will have an edge that was missing this year. We had a lot of nice guys this year, and some selfish guys, but mostly just a decent bunch of disparate pieces thrown together with no cohesiveness or collective goal because that is what happens when you lose 4 starters and 3 one and dones in 3 years and a Ray Smith to injury and a Craig Victor to transfer. You have to throw something together. All these pieces from somewhere else thrown together with 2 real vets and a super freshman. Shit...we almost had a generational gap between our front court and our 2 guard.

I am going to enjoy next year. I will start to get stomach pains before our first or, if god willing and the season we should have puts us at a high seed, second NCAA game. Until the, I will follow the JJ recruitment with interest and then shut down immediately when that is done and revisit this come the start of practice.
Wow, I thought this year was very fun. Yes, the last game was disappointing, but I very much enjoyed the ride this year knowing what we had to overcome to still win 25 games.

I was disappointed the last two years because, in 2014 without injury we SHOULD have won it all (and even with it SHOULD have made the FF and still maybe win it), and in 2015 we were one of the 4 best teams and got the shitty draw with Wisky again and couldn't get over that hump. Two great seasons, but seasons that I felt were destined for just a little more that didn't come to fruition.

This season was not destined for much when Ray got hurt, and I guess with lower expectations it was easier to enjoy
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

HiCat wrote:
Merkin wrote:
I have no insider knowledge, but Miller said they are bringing in 4 or 5 guys this year. He has 3 on the way, and Jackson would make 4.

That was before Pitts bailed too. If Trier goes pro, and/or PJC/Simon transfer that's even more slots available.

Jeff Borzello

‎@jeffborzello

Arizona reached out to Delaware transfer Kory Holden tonight. Second-team All-CAA guard.

43 43 Retweets
Doesn't read like a point guard.

Holden was a high-volume scorer for the Blue Hens, averaging a team-high 17.7 points per game, while shooting 39.4 percent from the field and 38.8 percent from behind the arc this past season. He averaged 5.9 3-point attempts per game.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
HiCat wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Jeff Borzello

‎@jeffborzello

43 43 Retweets

Holden was a high-volume scorer for the Blue Hens, averaging a team-high 17.7 points per game, while shooting 39.4 percent from the field and 38.8 percent from behind the arc this past season. He averaged 5.9 3-point attempts per game.
His assist numbers are actually pretty high.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pla ... den-1.html" target="_blank
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Merkin wrote:
HiCat wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Jeff Borzello

‎@jeffborzello

43 43 Retweets

His assist numbers are actually pretty high.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pla ... den-1.html" target="_blank
His minutes are quite impressive. Shooting percentage not so much.

TJ never did get his shooting stroke back playing at a higher level.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

To not quote into infinity, it looks like he can shoot it from 3, not so much from 2, takes a lot of shots and gets a lot of assists. Not a shocker his usage rate is super high.

My biggest concern is that he's had the ball in his hands all the time and won't here.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

That's how I read it too. Had to be the man and did not have much around him. Low 2pfg% and turnovers being a product. That shooting percentage is nice, and we can assume some of the types of 3's he was taking being a high-volume guy. If he is willing to take it down several notches and just be a point guard and flourish with 5 star talent around him, may pan out nice after sitting out a year and helping transition if Simmons is a one and done. My biggest concern is the guy looks to be brutal defensively. Defensive win shares below zero and is Defensive Box +/- is -4.5.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I imagine at least part of his defensive woes deal with being on the court so much. Who was the last UA player to average 36 minutes a game? Jason Gardner?

TJ, as great as he was, only averaged 30 mpg as a senior.

Nick Johnson did well at 33 mpg as a senior.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:That's how I read it too. Had to be the man and did not have much around him. Low 2pfg% and turnovers being a product. That shooting percentage is nice, and we can assume some of the types of 3's he was taking being a high-volume guy. If he is willing to take it down several notches and just be a point guard and flourish with 5 star talent around him, may pan out nice after sitting out a year and helping transition if Simmons is a one and done. My biggest concern is the guy looks to be brutal defensively. Defensive win shares below zero and is Defensive Box +/- is -4.5.
Is it wrong of me to read this as a potential replacement for PJC? I.e., a guy we don't necessarily want starting, but someone who will hopefully provide a decent backup for a few years.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Merkin wrote:I imagine at least part of his defensive woes deal with being on the court so much. Who was the last UA player to average 36 minutes a game? Jason Gardner?

TJ, as great as he was, only averaged 30 mpg as a senior.

Nick Johnson did well at 33 mpg as a senior.
Sure. And there are other influences as well. Saving his legs for offense. May not have good defensive support/system around him too.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:That's how I read it too. Had to be the man and did not have much around him. Low 2pfg% and turnovers being a product. That shooting percentage is nice, and we can assume some of the types of 3's he was taking being a high-volume guy. If he is willing to take it down several notches and just be a point guard and flourish with 5 star talent around him, may pan out nice after sitting out a year and helping transition if Simmons is a one and done. My biggest concern is the guy looks to be brutal defensively. Defensive win shares below zero and is Defensive Box +/- is -4.5.
Is it wrong of me to read this as a potential replacement for PJC? I.e., a guy we don't necessarily want starting, but someone who will hopefully provide a decent backup for a few years.
Thats how I am reading it.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I'm not reading much to it at all at this point. He's not the perfect transfer candidate, but he's currently the best transfer candidate out there. That'll of course change in a few months, weeks, or even tomorrow.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

No one wants to come here
loomer

Post by loomer »

Why would an elite level PG want to play in this system?

276th in Tempo
299th in offensive Average Possession Length
7th in assists (Pac-12)
An antiquated motion offense that makes a basic 2-3 zone look like a labryinth
A coach who thinks Dusan Ristic is the guy you should have flash to the FT line against the 2-3 when you have better options (Markkanen, Rawle). We could have used a Rondae or Ray Smith here :cry:
A packline defense that is designed primarily for mid major players who aren't athletic enough to play standard man to man
A defensive scheme that doesn't innately value creating turnovers or high steal numbers, thus denying your offense opportunities in transition

How much has Sean evolved as a coach since his Xavier days, even with the talent increase tenfold?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

All true, but Miller can say he took this mid-major player,a short, slow white boy with a funky shot, who was part of a team that was "4 NBA players and TJ", and made him into a starting NBA PG. With 2 of the "NBA players" playing overseas.

TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Love Sean but he's whiffed mightly from day 1 on point guards, seriously whiffed, outside TJ. Our offense, while limited, does look and run better with a proper point guard, but it seems we only get those once a decade now.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I actually think Alex B can do well next year with PJC as long as there is someone with some decent handles with size. If Trier comes back he should work on that all off season.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

IMO we need to add a grad transfer if we can not land Duvall. There's a few good point guards who can grad transfer out there.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

PHXCATS wrote:I actually think Alex B can do well next year with PJC as long as there is someone with some decent handles with size. If Trier comes back he should work on that all off season.
you need to have your head examined if you think the result will be any different in March with this statement -- full frontal head examination.

in fact, knowing you im having a more than difficult time taking the statement seriously.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

ChooChooCat wrote:IMO we need to add a grad transfer if we can not land Duvall. There's a few good point guards who can grad transfer out there.
adequate to above average on this years team and we arent having this discussion, thats all that was needed -- its a shame.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Dylan Smith ran the point in HS and is 6'5"

Look at these stats: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ylan-smith" target="_blank

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

97cats wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:I actually think Alex B can do well next year with PJC as long as there is someone with some decent handles with size. If Trier comes back he should work on that all off season.
you need to have your head examined if you think the result will be any different in March with this statement -- full frontal head examination.

in fact, knowing you im having a more than difficult time taking the statement seriously.

I do not think KA or PJC were nearly the reasons why the Cats lost last night except for KA getting in early four trouble which let Bluitt go off in the first half.

Those guys were good enough to win the PAC-12 regular and tournament titles, beat UCLA in UCLA, beat Oregon in Vegas, beat UCLA in Vegas. With PJC Arizona probably beats Gonzaga in LA.

So not sure why an extra year would not help out PJC. Do need a solid on the ball guy defensive guy to step up though. Hopefully one of the incoming guys is a solid on ball guy.

Arizona was outcoached and outplayed bad last night and Trier's shot went part way down, not sure how PJC proved he is capable this year but you don't see it.

Agree to disagree I guess. Bear Down.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Done with grad transfers/JUCOs, they're just a quick bandaid fix (not very effective fix) on the problem. Need to land the recruits.

Although bill self took a low 4* Devonte Graham and a 3* Frank Mason and they became pretty great under Self.
Last edited by NYCat on Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Jefe wrote:Dylan Smith ran the point in HS and is 6'5"

Look at these stats: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ylan-smith" target="_blank

Not a point guard.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

97cats wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:IMO we need to add a grad transfer if we can not land Duvall. There's a few good point guards who can grad transfer out there.
adequate to above average on this years team and we arent having this discussion, thats all that was needed -- its a shame.
This team went 32-5. What mistakes did KA and PJC make that lost this game yesterday? Because I would take 30-4, a PAC-12 Regular Season Title and Tournament Title and #2 seed in the West every single year and I don't think KA or PJC were the reasons for the L unless you count KA being out a lot in the first half
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Fwiw here's a few PGs who could very likely grad transfer if they choose to do so:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... rcus-keene" target="_blank
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... than-stark" target="_blank
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... on-goodwin" target="_blank
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... oe-chealey" target="_blank
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

I'd rather have a (healthy all year) PJC running the point next year than any other realistic option , w the exception of Duval.

If Lauri and Trier come back next year we are going to the final 4. Book it.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

PJC has gotten injured or sick every year he's been at Arizona. And thus missing significant time.

I completely expect the same in his senior year
97cats

Post by 97cats »

PennZona20 wrote:I'd rather have a (healthy all year) PJC running the point next year than any other realistic option , w the exception of Duval.

this post and its supporters has me miffed, baffled, and flabbergasted -- how any Arizona fan in their right mind carries this opinion is beyond me.

This season Arizona had a final four roster and the perfect final four draw and the perfect bracket attrition and the perfect dream once in a lifetime home scenario at the end of the rainbow and the PG, all three of them, were not capable of leading Sean Miller to his first FF

it's asinine and insane that anyone would want the same scenario next year in terms of personal thinking there would be a different result.

Allen and Cartwright are not FF caliber PG's

the truth hurts, but it's still the truth.

Mother of god!!!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

97cats wrote:
PennZona20 wrote:I'd rather have a (healthy all year) PJC running the point next year than any other realistic option , w the exception of Duval.

this post and its supporters has me miffed, baffled, and flabbergasted -- how any Arizona fan in their right mind carries this opinion is beyond me.

This season Arizona had a final four roster and the perfect final four draw and the perfect bracket attrition and the perfect dream once in a lifetime home scenario at the end of the rainbow and the PG, all three of them, were not capable of leading Sean Miller to his first FF

it's asinine and insane that anyone would want the same scenario next year in terms of personal thinking there would be a different result.

Mother of god!!!
I know you have your ear to the ground of Arizona basketball better than most. Have you heard anything in regards to what Miller thinks about the position going into next year? Was me compiling a list of possible grad transfer PGs a total waste of time or is that a very realistic possibility?
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

The guys u mentioned choo aren't very good. And they are chuckers. Think mark Lyons w less size.

PJC was hurt or sick every year and contributed to his inconsistency. Xavier just beat us w a much worse pg than PJC.

Obviously I'd rather have Duval, but no other option is better than a healthy and focused senior pg. PJC isn't going to "carry" us to a final 4 but if we have a starting lineup around him w two lotto bigs and savage life and Trier next to him, be the ur ass we can get there.

We aren't getting mike bibby next year. There's no transfer savior. It's Duval or PJC. Those are the options. And Duval is a long shot.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PennZona20 wrote:The guys u mentioned choo aren't very good. And they are chuckers. Think mark Lyons w less size.

PJC was hurt or sick every year and contributed to his inconsistency. Xavier just beat us w a much worse pg than PJC.

Obviously I'd rather have Duval, but no other option is better than a healthy and focused senior pg. PJC isn't going to "carry" us to a final 4 but if we have a starting lineup around him w two lotto bigs and savage life and Trier next to him, be the ur ass we can get there.

We aren't getting mike bibby next year. There's no transfer savior. It's Duval or PJC. Those are the options. And Duval is a long shot.
They all play for mid-majors, they all have to shoot that much to keep their teams afloat. Their amount of shots would obviously lessen at Arizona. I'm more concerned with shooting percentages, FT percentages, and assist to turnover ratios. Every single one of those guys are better than PJC, not to mention are bigger. I'm not looking for a transfer savior, I'm looking for a transfer placeholder who is more capable than what we already got.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PennZona20 wrote:The guys u mentioned choo aren't very good. And they are chuckers. Think mark Lyons w less size.

They all play for mid-majors, they all have to shoot that much to keep their teams afloat. Their amount of shots would obviously lessen at Arizona. I'm more concerned with shooting percentages, FT percentages, and assist to turnover ratios. Every single one of those guys are better than PJC, not to mention are bigger. I'm not looking for a transfer savior, I'm looking for a transfer placeholder who is more capable than what we already got.
I don't think any of those guys are more capable than PJC.

It's easier to shoot more efficiently v Akron than it is v Oregon.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

The Murray st kid is probably the closest.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

97cats wrote:

Mother of god!!!
You basically said 'We have a Final Four quality roster that isn't good enough to make the Final Four.' If our PG spot is as grim as you think, then we certainly did not have a final four roster.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

We lost because of our pg the other night......because he got two fouls early and sat so much.

I don't get it jefe and 97. Is 30-4 PAC12 regular season and tournament champions not good enough? We're is the acceptable floor then?
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

PHXCATS wrote:We lost because of our pg the other night......because he got two fouls early and sat so much.

I don't get it jefe and 97. Is 30-4 PAC12 regular season and tournament champions not good enough? We're is the acceptable floor then?
I think it's less about the floor of the program in general and more about the team we lost to and the promise that this team had with Lauri and Trier. Hopefully one or both will return for some unfinished business
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Miller is very good but lacked a stinker Thursday. That isn't on the pg spot. Team was good enough, more than good enough to make it to Glendale as is.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PennZona20 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

I don't think any of those guys are more capable than PJC.

It's easier to shoot more efficiently v Akron than it is v Oregon.
Tell me how it's easier to shoot 3's and FTs more efficiently vs Akron than Oregon? Also did you have a problem with TJ based on the sorry level of competition he played against day in and day out? If not then I don't get your beef here. I agree the Murray State kid is the best of that lot and he's who I have my finger on if he decides to transfer.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

NYCat wrote:PJC has gotten injured or sick every year he's been at Arizona. And thus missing significant time.

I completely expect the same in his senior year
He had what should have been a breakaway layup get blocked by a guy who didn't even have to jump. He doesn't have the physicality to play at this level -- which is probably why he's always sick or hurt as well. He should have been recruited over two years ago.