lets talk '16

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Bangkok Wildcat

Re: lets talk '16

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Dosia wrote:Not holding my breath, but would love to be pleasantly surprised.
This is where I'm at.
Me too....got enough drama in my life right now so I'll just put mote excitement/ anticipation into Ferguson for now......Also, is JJ's eligibility a real concern?
jajoyce

Post by jajoyce »

Paging 97cats...
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Another interview with Scout

http://scouthoops.scout.com/story/16556 ... ecide-soon" target="_blank

Also a Terrance Ferguson interview with Scout

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball ... iding-soon" target="_blank
Last edited by NYCat on Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

Get it done Sean.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

the 2:40 ish mark in that video...

Can we get an expert in body/facial cue recognition please? BC that seems like a "yeah, im coming to arizona but cant say it yet" type reaction
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well he said he knows where he wants to go and singled out Arizona and talked very specifically about the post tourney convo will Miller.

How can one not be optimistic after that interview. Very well spoken kid BTW
Last edited by azcat49 on Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

#MomsForMiller

In the Terrance Ferguson Scout interview he said he loved the Arizona visit but his mom REALLY loved it.

"I make most of decisions off of her, and if she says it's a go, it's a go. You can't turn down mom words."

Josh Jackson loves Sean Miller, loves players at MSU, loves fans at KU. I think we land Jackson and his close relationship with Miller seals the deal (after watching the interview/sounds like he unintentionally gave away that he is going to Arizona.). USA U19 was an incredible advantage -- Kobi, Ferguson, & JJ. They already been coached by him.

Looks like no announcements at McDs AA game BTW
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

NYCat wrote:#MomsForMiller

In the Terrance Ferguson Scout interview he said he loved the Arizona visit but his mom REALLY loved it.

"I make most of decisions off of her, and if she says it's a go, it's a go. You can't turn down mom words."

Josh Jackson loves Sean Miller, loves players at MSU, loves fans at KU. I think we land Jackson and his close relationship with Miller seals the deal (after watching the interview/sounds like he unintentionally gave away that he is going to Arizona.). USA U19 was an incredible advantage -- Kobi, Ferguson, & JJ. They already been coached by him.

Not that it matters but are sure CSM coached Kobi?
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Holy crap. Just when I promised myself I wasn't going to get my hopes up for these commits so I'm not depressed if they go elsewhere they give these interviews.

And now I feel we are gonna get both again. Don't u crazy kids play w my feels like that lol.

I don't know how, as an Arizona fan, you can be anything but confident after both those interviews. It really seems like we could get a dream class this year.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

NYCat wrote:
#MomsForMiller

Sure looks like Arizona ;)

62%
http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/ ... redictions" target="_blank
gumby

Post by gumby »

luteformayor2 wrote:the 2:40 ish mark in that video...

Can we get an expert in body/facial cue recognition please? BC that seems like a "yeah, im coming to arizona but cant say it yet" type reaction
I'd do it, but I'm busy with the numerology angle. Her question is actually weird. Something like "is Arizona still up there, like even?" How can teams be "even" when he's already picked? But he played along, because to do otherwise would reveal the choice. I got nothing from the interview in regards to where he's going.
Right where I want to be.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

3goggles wrote:
NYCat wrote:#MomsForMiller

Not that it matters but are sure CSM coached Kobi?
Kobi wasn't on the team.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

The video, especially this part, does hint a little towards Arizona. I'm not a facial recognition expert, but a Comm professor who teaches public speaking. Can never get 100% read on things. But the interviewee says "last time we talked you said Arizona had a slight edge, are they now completely even or is arizona still up there?"

He says "Arizona is still up there." And he knows where he is going. So if Arizona has the edge doesn't that mean thats where he is going??
But then again, I'm just guessing really. He does seem very happy when he discusses Miller and Arizona though. When he talks about Kansas it sounds more like "their fans were very good" as if to pay a compliment to a school he may be rejecting.

Wishful thinking?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

All I know is that if we get JJ, anticipation for next season will be the greatest we've seen since Lute. Come on, JJ!
billk78

Post by billk78 »

I'm excited about Ferguson as well. He said he loves to play defense. And his strength is shooting. He can "make it from anywhere on the floor". What a nice weapon that would be.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

We desperately need a sharpshooter, Ferguson could be the answer.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

NYCat wrote:We desperately need a sharpshooter, Ferguson could be the answer.
So basically he could be a more athletic and accurate York with better defense?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

billk78 wrote:
So basically he could be a more athletic and accurate York with better defense?
Zach Lavine with better D.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

SCOUT writes:

Ferguson is very three-point reliant. He lacks consistent offensive balance, a deficiency he must improve over the next couple years. But despite that, his tools are easy to recognize. In addition to a jumper that can become scorching hot from deep, he's a very good athlete. With his quickness and length, he should be able to defend shooting guards or wing forwards at the next level. He simply needs to get stronger and improve his ball handling.

Not sure how well high school 3 point shooting compares with power conferences. TJ McConnell and Tollefsen never could regain their form when they played at Div I mid majors.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

McConnell had a slow awkward shot that obviously wasn't going to work against better, faster talent. I think the difference is guys like TJ, York, NJ weren't necessarily pure shooters -- they were guys who could shoot from the outside at a good margin.

Regardless we need shooting to diversify our offense and spread out defenses. A guy like buddy hield isn't necessarily the primary ball handler but his other guards are really good and giving to Hield who helps spreads out the defense.

Kobi, Rawle would be good primary ball handlers who can give it to Ferguson who supposedly is a knock down shooter. Plus both those guys seems like good shooters as well.
Last edited by NYCat on Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Rawle Alkins looks like a good shooter.

April 12, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaxyQ5xZpdE" target="_blank

Sep 16, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_ngQ0kG-sI" target="_blank
Last edited by HiCat on Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Anyone heard anything on Trier?
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

But did he look like a true point guard?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

It sounds like we're upgrading our backcourt considerably. You wonder if we're going to be okay with so many freshmen being asked to play like seniors from day one, but this doesn't seem to be affecting Duke or UK.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:It sounds like we're upgrading our backcourt considerably. You wonder if we're going to be okay with so many freshmen being asked to play like seniors from day one, but this doesn't seem to be affecting Duke or UK.
We have a 5th year senior in the backcourt too.

We just need them to play well.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

Anyone else the slightest bit concerned about our lack of size next year? Not necessarily compared to other teams, but definitely compared with Miller's previous teams here at Arizona.

DR, CC and LM is it as far as I can see. Will Ray Smith get some extended time at the "4"?

Go Cats!!
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Catstatic wrote:Anyone else the slightest bit concerned about our lack of size next year? Not necessarily compared to other teams, but definitely compared with Miller's previous teams here at Arizona.

DR, CC and LM is it as far as I can see. Will Ray Smith get some extended time at the "4"?

Go Cats!!
Of the final 4 teams, there is only 1 player over 6'9" who has averaged double digit minutes for their team. I think we will be fine in the size department with three guys either 7 foot or very close. Also, based on everything I have read Ray will be playing mainly at PF.
Last edited by gronk4heisman on Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Catstatic wrote:Anyone else the slightest bit concerned about our lack of size next year? Not necessarily compared to other teams, but definitely compared with Miller's previous teams here at Arizona.

Go Cats!!
This has been addressed in other threads. We're likely going to bring in one more big, either a transfer or international player. Even with one more big, though, next year's team will be stronger in the backcourt. That seems clear. We don't have a cluster of bigs to clog the middle and clear the paint, as we have in recent years.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Go Cats!!
I don't think those type of teams win the tournament, they're great for the regular season. Kentucky and that huge team of Anthony-Towns, Caulry-Stein, Dakari, J Randle, Poythress lost to UConn. When's the last time a HUGE teams have won? Kentucky finally won in '12 when they had good shooting. Even the Cousins/Wall/Bledsoe/Patterson team couldn't win because Huggins & WVU dared them to shoot and they couldn't.

We win with good guard play and serviceable bigs, if they're really good (David/Okafor/Hansbrough etc) we can win it all. It's not like we don't have two 7 footers anyway and a 6'10 guy.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Have quite a bit of training in this and use it fairly frequently. The problem is the question was worded poorly, and she is a terrible interviewer because she keeps putting words into his mouth throughout the interview. I see it as one of three things.
1) what you said above, or
2) "ehhh, if I say they don't have the edge/lead any more, that tips my Kansas hand." or
3) He is so rehearsed with his answers to these types of questions. This one caught him off guard, provoking that response, because he hadn't rehearsed his response to that particular angle, or at least the question being worded so weirdly.

I can't call it. If I had to choose with a gun to my head, #3.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Right. You clear the lane by denying penetration in the first place. See: Wichita State. When the ball does go down low, you attack the big with a double team.

Oregon showed that as long as you have athletic guys who can switch screens and hit the glass, you don't need classic fives.

Chance Comanche intrigues me as a guy who can thrive with four slashers and shooters. He can block shots, get putbacks and run the floor. Ristic is still there for traditional post-ups. LM can pull opposing bigs away from the hoop.

Even if we don't get a transfer, I think we're fine, unless we try to pound a square peg into a round hole and play as if Tarc, Ashley, Gordon and Anderson are still here.
Last edited by gumby on Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
gumby

Post by gumby »

rgdeuce wrote:
luteformayor2 wrote: The problem is the question was worded poorly, and she is a terrible interviewer because she keeps putting words into his mouth throughout the interview.
Somewhat off topic, but there is an epidemic of these kinds of questions today, especially the sideline reporters. It's like they have to demonstrate they have some knowledge before posing the question. "I'm not just a hot chick with a mic."

But it boxes in the interviewee (unless he or she wants to take the time to dispute the premise.)

Example: "You obviously got back in the game with more pressure on the perimeter and better shot selection. How were you able to do that?"

This gives the interviewee no place to go, other than to repeat "more pressure on the perimeter" and "better shot selection." A good question would be: "How did you get back in the game?"

This is basic journalism, and it's ignored in sports all the time.

I don't blame Popovich for making a mockery of this. I applaud him. He isn't being a jerk. He's making a statement: "Ask me a decent question. Don't use me as a shill for your analysis."
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

I'm more concerned about rebounding and defending the basket than raw size. Hassan Adams was 6'4" but a monster on the glass. Losing Zeus is a big deal. I don't see anyone replacing him. Question is, how much of that margin of error can we retain with CC taking over? I'm not sold on LM being an immediate contributor. Projections as a top 20 NBA pick don't automatically equate to college production. He needs to put on a lot of strength and play less like a guard to have a great impact at the 4 or 5 imo.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

It's been said a million times here, but people aren't going to realize what we had with Zeus until he is gone. There is going to be a drop off. It's apparent Chance is the one who makes it landing on a pillow, as opposed to a bed of nails. Other guys will have to pick up the slack, as is the case for most teams who either never had a Zeus or lost the guy who was him. The good news is, a lot of the problems that made Zeus even more irreplaceable are gone, and if this class ends with a bang, we are going to be replacing those guys with longer and more capable defenders (if they buy in) and better rebounders from positions 4 on down (absent Anderson).
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Exactly rgdeuce. All due respect, but Arizona's starting 4 and 5 this season left a lasting impression of being nailed to the floor.

If you want to follow the '97 model of big men, rounding Ray into a 4 as fast as possible to play alongside Chance, with a banger in Yurtseven and a spry Markkanen pushing them, is your ticket.
Last edited by catgrad97 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Go Cats!!
Ray probably gets some backup 4 minutes. If they were to land a JJ, you could realistically start 6'5,6'7,6'7,6'10,6'11
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:It's been said a million times here, but people aren't going to realize what we had with Zeus until he is gone. There is going to be a drop off. It's apparent Chance is the one who makes it landing on a pillow, as opposed to a bed of nails. Other guys will have to pick up the slack, as is the case for most teams who either never had a Zeus or lost the guy who was him. The good news is, a lot of the problems that made Zeus even more irreplaceable are gone, and if this class ends with a bang, we are going to be replacing those guys with longer and more capable defenders (if they buy in) and better rebounders from positions 4 on down (absent Anderson).
Dusan continuing to make strides is a big deal for me. He'll never be Zeus, but he needs to be a solid option we can turn to for major minutes this coming year. He was this last year for a little while, but that disappeared down the stretch.

We need to see the roster composition in final form first, but right now unless Dusan is ready for all teams, we're working with two actual big guys who can defend the Oregons of the world.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Jackson, Kobi, Ferguson tonight in the dunk contest, Ferguson in the 3pt contest.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:Jackson, Kobi, Ferguson tonight in the dunk contest, Ferguson in the 3pt contest.
That Ferguson dunk vid is a major reason I see Zach Lavine as a comparison for him.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

3 7 footers in the rotation and we somehow have a short team next year? Ok...

Last year we had 3 7 footers and a 6'8 guy in Anderson a long with a bunch of undersized wings and point guards. We're adding another 7 footer a 6'6 point guard, a 6'4-6'5 wing, bringing a 6'8 guy back from an injury and possibly two 6'7 guys, but yes we're smaller next year lol.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Yet another interview, good things to say for az

Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

ChooChooCat wrote:3 7 footers in the rotation and we somehow have a short team next year? Ok...

Last year we had 3 7 footers and a 6'8 guy in Anderson a long with a bunch of undersized wings and point guards. We're adding another 7 footer a 6'6 point guard, a 6'4-6'5 wing, bringing a 6'8 guy back from an injury and possibly two 6'7 guys, but yes we're smaller next year lol.
We lose 3 of our top 4 bigs, particularly Zeus and Anderson, who are monsters compared to anyone else we will have next year. We also lose a 6'10" wing in Tolly. Ristic seemed to regress in the last month of the season. If that doesn't turn around he will rarely get off the bench next year. Remember when we had two seven footers on the bench and Miller kept calling us a "small" team a few years ago? Size only matters if it is on the court.

Only Chance looks ready to really contribute on the defensive end of the court next year. LM will play as a stretch four, though how quickly he adjusts to Miller's defense requirements remains to be seen. That is the reason for the question.

But I'm sure you're right! Your tape measure is correct. Next year's 3-5 will be no different than a lineup with Zeus, Gordon, Ashley, or Zeus, Ashley, Rondae, or Zeus, Anderson and Tollefson.

You say so.

Go Cats!!
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

In every interview I have seen of Josh Jackson I can't help but immediately think by his personality that he is totally a Sean Miller type of player. Smart, focused and unfazed.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

3 7 footers? Zeus & Dusan and that's it. Chance is 6'10ish, Anderson is 6'9, Tollefson is 6'9. Next year its Dusan & Markkanen.

Besides height at the top of head isn't as important as height at the shoulders (and having long arms).
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:3 7 footers? Zeus & Dusan and that's it. Chance is 6'10ish, Anderson is 6'9, Tollefson is 6'9. Next year its Dusan & Markkanen.

Besides height at the top of head isn't as important as height at the shoulders (and having long arms).
Is that last sentence a subtle shot at Grant Jerrett?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Catstatic wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:3 7 footers in the rotation and we somehow have a short team next year? Ok...

We lose 3 of our top 4 bigs, particularly Zeus and Anderson, who are monsters compared to anyone else we will have next year. We also lose a 6'10" wing in Tolly. Ristic seemed to regress in the last month of the season. If that doesn't turn around he will rarely get off the bench next year. Remember when we had two seven footers on the bench and Miller kept calling us a "small" team a few years ago? Size only matters if it is on the court.

Only Chance looks ready to really contribute on the defensive end of the court next year. LM will play as a stretch four, though how quickly he adjusts to Miller's defense requirements remains to be seen. That is the reason for the question.

But I'm sure you're right! Your tape measure is correct. Next year's 3-5 will be no different than a lineup with Zeus, Gordon, Ashley, or Zeus, Ashley, Rondae, or Zeus, Anderson and Tollefson.

You say so.

Go Cats!!
We were alright just two years ago when the vast majority of our rebounding came from our wings. You act as if you need post players to kill every one on the boards. Do me a favor, tell me who you're so scared of going up against that you don't think a stronger Comanche, Lauri (who averaged 6.4 boards per game in the Euro championships), and Ristic couldn't handle platoon style at the 5? Ray is also a more than competent college 4 man as well if you need him to be.

Now if you're concerned with defense that's fine, but it's not as if any one on our team the last two years not named Zeus was a superior defender in the post. Not too many pure posts I'm worried about going up against next year in college basketball or hell even in the Pac-12 anyways. Adios Josh Scott and Jakob Poeltl.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
NYCat wrote:3 7 footers? Zeus & Dusan and that's it. Chance is 6'10ish, Anderson is 6'9, Tollefson is 6'9. Next year its Dusan & Markkanen.

Is that last sentence a subtle shot at Grant Jerrett?
Sorta but you can get away with having a short neck like Kevin Durant
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Lauri and Chance are 6'11. If you don't want to consider them 7 footers then fine. Anderson is 6'9 on a good day, but ok, and did Tollefson ever matter that you needed to list him?

Ristic 7'0
Lauri 6'11
Chance 6'11
Ray 6'8
Jackson (if we land him) 6'8
Ferguson (if we land him) 6'7
Rawle 6'4
Kobi 6'6

We had two guys rebound for us this year and that was it. Influx of height at every position will greatly improve all concerns. We're a bigger team next year and it's not even debatable. Take a look at the final four teams this year. Are any of them bigger than what I just listed?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

A program tends to overstate size a lot, football, basketball in their offical books.
Chance was most commonly listed as 6'10, Tollefson & Anderson were 6'8.

I think Dusan probably is a true 7 foot, Markkanen probably under

Kobi is listed from 6'5 to 6'6 most common is 6'5
Rawle 6'4-6'5 most common 6'4
Ferguson 6'5-6'7 most common 6'6
Josh Jackson 6'7-6'8+ most common 6'7
Ray Smith 6'7-6'8 most common 6'8

The last point, I don't think bigger teams win. You win with good guards. Even short(er) ones like Napier, Russ Smith, Peyton Siva, Kemba, Tyus Jones etc. We have good guards who happen to be tall.