Chance Commanche

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Olsondogg

Chance Commanche

Post by Olsondogg »

With all of the focus on who's coming, who's going etc....I wanted to point out what I see as one of, if not the biggest keys to how well Arizona will be next year. Chance Commanche, and what he does this offseason in both the weightroom and the court. IMO he's the key to how good Arizona can be on both ends of the floor. I do like Ristic, and think that he can make strides on the defense that will help, but Chance's athleticism is superior.

He has a real shot to be something special.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Chicat

Re: Chance Commanche

Post by Chicat »

I was just thinking about Chance's recruiting class and how he might end up being the player with the most impact that we recruited in that cycle.

Crazy to think about with all the hype everyone else got.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

i'm hoping for the most improvement in the offseason from dusan, but am most excited about chance. closing the size gap alone will go a long way to getting the starting spot. interested to see how phelps develops these guys.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Good thread. Chance has a ... what's the word? ... to be special. A bigger Bennett Davison.
Right where I want to be.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dirtbags wrote:i'm hoping for the most improvement in the offseason from dusan,
He never took the freshman to sophomore jump, but then again he had to go up against Zeus in practice. Going up against freshmen and sophomores next year should really help restore Deuce's confidence.
az91

Post by az91 »

Merkin wrote:
He never took the freshman to sophomore jump, but then again he had to go up against Zeus in practice. Going up against freshmen and sophomores next year should really help restore Deuce's confidence.
He looked like he was going to make the jump and then disappeared toward the end of the season. He is one of the biggest mysteries of next season.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:I was just thinking about Chance's recruiting class and how he might end up being the player with the most impact that we recruited in that cycle.

Crazy to think about with all the hype everyone else got.
Ray will have a lot to say about that, but Chance for sure will make his mark and be very important/impactful.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

gumby wrote:Good thread. Chance has a ... what's the word? ... to be special. A bigger Bennett Davison.
Davison was a nice player, but Chance has a significantly higher upside. If hiss eiling ends up as that of a bigger Bennet Davison, I will be disappointed.

I would have said the same thing about Justin Simon and the Reggie Geary comparisons.,. Although I don't really care as much about where his ceiling is now.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

az91 wrote:
Merkin wrote:
He looked like he was going to make the jump and then disappeared toward the end of the season. He is one of the biggest mysteries of next season.
He made the jump forward then jumped back midway through the Pac season.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Dusan is Kreal bad on defense. Every time he was in on the defensive end I'd yell at the TV screen, "He's going to drive left/right" and then he did, and scored. Sometimes with an "and 1".
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Dusan is actually difficult for opposing teams to prepare for. As a backup.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Harvey Specter wrote:
gumby wrote:Good thread. Chance has a ... what's the word? ... to be special. A bigger Bennett Davison.
Davison was a nice player, but Chance has a significantly higher upside. If hiss eiling ends up as that of a bigger Bennet Davison, I will be disappointed.

I would have said the same thing about Justin Simon and the Reggie Geary comparisons.,. Although I don't really care as much about where his ceiling is now.
I'm tired of "upside." Becoming less important because guys depart before reaching the ceiling. Don't believe Chance will ever be featured. Envision him like Davison. Flying around, swatting shots, getting putbacks, running the floor on perimeter-oriented teams. Works for me, and he would be valuable. Never thought Simon would exceed Geary. Has the potential but I don't think he would've ever accepted being a role player (his greatest value). He would've never been The Man with such undeveloped skills.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

I'm tired of "upside." Becoming less important because guys depart before reaching the ceiling. Don't believe Chance will ever be featured. Envision him like Davison. Flying around, swatting shots, getting putbacks, running the floor on perimeter-oriented teams. Works for me, and he would be valuable. Never thought Simon would exceed Geary. Has the potential but I don't think he would've ever accepted being a role player (his greatest value). He would've never been The Man with such undeveloped skills.
Simon's NBA upside is so high, he'll never reach close enough to touch it in college and miss the NBA.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Some guys are five stars, because they can deliver now. Some are based on potential. I think the ranking can hurt the latter group. Gives them a mindset they must overcome. Harder to accept their limitations, when acceptance would be good for the team. If they were ranked based on what they can deliver how, they'd be more apt to work hard and "prove them wrong." More apt to fill a role needed to win.

Wouldn't have to face people saying, "You're a five-star! You should be getting more shots!"
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not just their own mindset, but also of their family and posse.

Wasn't that why Garland Judkins was Millered? He has his posse telling him he was too good to be getting limited minutes and ended up being a cancer for Arizona.

Ndudi's posse was telling him he was as good as LeBron.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Chance has the tools to be a special player in years 3 and 4... and beyond.