lets talk '16

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: lets talk '16

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Too bad. I was hoping to get a look at Lauri early, and the Summit has good competition.

Oh well. As long as he gets healthy and is ready for the season, it will work out.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Wonder how the Trier news will effect the Ferguson/Jackson recruitment's.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azcat34 wrote:Wonder how the Trier news will effect the Ferguson/Jackson recruitment's.

I was wondering if CSM told 'Zo something about one or both of those.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat34 wrote:Wonder how the Trier news will effect the Ferguson/Jackson recruitment's.
It shouldn't. The minutes are still there. The most it means is that Trier is likely a main scorer, so they have competition if either thinks they would be definitely the man on offense.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Just now means we don't need both JJ and Ferguson. Just want to get one of the two.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:Just now means we don't need both JJ and Ferguson. Just want to get one of the two.
I don't think we were ever getting both. Either and our lineup is in great, great shape.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Kobi Simmons // Parker "Parker Jackson-Cartwright" Jackson-Cartwright // Allen

Allonzo Trier // Rawle Alkins-Kadeem Allen

Terrance Ferguson // Smith // 3 guard lineups

Ray Smith // Lauri Markkanen

Dusan Ristic // Chance Commanche
billk78

Post by billk78 »

NYCat wrote:Kobi Simmons // Parker "Parker Jackson-Cartwright" Jackson-Cartwright // Allen

Allonzo Trier // Rawle Alkins-Kadeem Allen

Terrance Ferguson // Smith // 3 guard lineups

Ray Smith // Lauri Markkanen

Dusan Ristic // Chance Commanche
Can Markkanen play Center? I think Comanche takes a big step forward this year, but I don't have much faith in Ristic. I hope I'm wrong. I think Ray Smith could be a key.

Kobi & Allen (Forget PJC)
Trier/Alkins
Ferguson/Alkins
Ray Smith
Markkanen/Comanche

Keep Deuce and PJC on the bench.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

billk78 wrote:Keep Deuce and PJC on the bench.
PJC sure. Dusan, no way. For one, he's a legit 7 footer. For another his footwork and touch on offense are awesome.

I know he disappeared down the stretch, but that doesn't negate how he looked and the way he played through the first half of the season enough to not play the guy at all.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
PJC sure. Dusan, no way. For one, he's a legit 7 footer. For another his footwork and touch on offense are awesome.

I know he disappeared down the stretch, but that doesn't negate how he looked and the way he played through the first half of the season enough to not play the guy at all.
Sometimes, if it wasn't for overreactions, there would no reactions at all.

I could see Comanche overtaking Dusan, and Dusan is never going to be Kaleb on the pick and roll. That said, if Dusan can address his issues, (namely, being able to make quicker moves in the post) he brings a lot to the table offensively. If he can be decent on D, he's a solid starter.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Sometimes, if it wasn't for overreactions, there would no reactions at all.

I could see Comanche overtaking Dusan, and Dusan is never going to be Kaleb on the pick and roll. That said, if Dusan can address his issues, (namely, being able to make quicker moves in the post) he brings a lot to the table offensively. If he can be decent on D, he's a solid starter.
Okay I admit, saying to sit Dusan for good is an overreaction. But I don't think we can count on him to be a productive starter right off the bat. He regressed big time this year and looked lost. Maybe an offseason working with the coaches and hitting the weights will help. But Miller isn't going to play him if he continues to play like a turnstile on defense.

PJC can maybe give a few minutes a game. But I do not see him getting any better. Overreaction? I hope so. But Kaddem Allen has much more potential IMO and will get the bulk of any backup PG minutes.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I don't think it's a coincidence that the beginning of Dusan's regression coincided with Kaleb coming back from injury and playing the best ball of his career. Dusan got less minutes in general, and more minutes on the floor with PJC as his PG and without Trier as the SG to spread the floor. He got a lot of passes too far from the basket and after the defense was established.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

I really hope I'm wrong but a recent video of LM's game (not just highlights but a real attempt at showing aspects of his game) showed a player who needs a lot of strength and improvement on the court. He's playing mainly against midgets and plays like a guard. Looks like a four year player. Again, I hope I just saw some weak video or have lost or never possessed the ability to project a kid's game, but from what I can tell, the conversation about him starting or playing major minutes seems unrealistic at this point.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Not a lot of good video on him. He did average 18 and 6 last summer at FIBA U-18 in Europe. No midgets there. Stretch 4, more than a center. Considered a five-star, which usually aren't projects.
Right where I want to be.
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

Here is what I saw (sorry would embed but I can't figure it out and posting from my phone): https://youtu.be/XTK4sXTTASg" target="_blank
The Goat

Post by The Goat »

And here is Markkanen taking top 10 Kentucky commit Wenyen Gabriel to task.

http://www.courtsidefilms.com/news_arti ... -markkanen" target="_blank
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Defense aside, I just think Chance is going to fit in more with the guys were are going to have around him next year. For as great as Dusan is offensively when all is well, he slows the game down. You feed the post, the ball is stopping there for a while. Alkins, Simmons, Ferguson (hopefully), Trier, drive to the bucket, help comes, one or two passes later the ball is in Dusan's hands, he just doesn't go up with it. He will pump fake three or four times, then go up. Give me the quick two, I dont want time for the defense to have time to adjust/reset and you to get fouled and pray you make both, a rarity for Dusan. Same if he isn't completely open but has excellent position. It's not catch, create space with your butt/body and throw it down/lay it in - it's wait for him to get on my rear end so I can back him down a little, then put on two or three moves and get this shot. With our expected personnel, I'd prefer a guy that is catch, go... Give me a guy who gives you 6 or 7 ppg, all off offensive boards and off passes from dribble drivers over a guy who will give you 10ppg but the ball stops when he gets it and almost all of his points are off post moves. I mean, this was kind of already how things were with Zeus here. While Chance has nowhere near the post moves Dusan does, he did show us that he is a competent back to the basket guy (remember that left-handed move on Utah? wow). He won't draw double teams like Dusan, but I don't think our offense next year is going to need that. Better ball and player movement and better spacing, and Comanche's mobility/athleticism will better facilitate that.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

thenewazcats wrote:Here is what I saw (sorry would embed but I can't figure it out and posting from my phone): https://youtu.be/XTK4sXTTASg" target="_blank
Pretty sure that video is from a year ago. Here's a link to the same highlights from a year ago.

https://youtu.be/OUC-o6IFgto" target="_blank

The more recent videos are different. As noted, he's played very well against some highly regarded guys, and it isn't odd to see a lot of physical development from a kid his age. What is evident is the skillset.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Yeah, I really think the US game doesn't fit Dusan very well. Look at last nights game. The bigs were very agile and athletic. The game has changed, pro & college. The big, back to the rim center is gone. Chance is much more suited to the game today although he gets blown by were he tries to cover guys near the perimeter. For us to be successful, Dusan needs to see spot minutes when the matchups are favorable. We need big athletic guys. Even Ryan wasn't athletic enough for the better teams we played last year.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
thenewazcats wrote:Here is what I saw (sorry would embed but I can't figure it out and posting from my phone): https://youtu.be/XTK4sXTTASg" target="_blank
Pretty sure that video is from a year ago. Here's a link to the same highlights from a year ago.

The more recent videos are different. As noted, he's played very well against some highly regarded guys, and it isn't odd to see a lot of physical development from a kid his age. What is evident is the skillset.
The Goat wrote:And here is Markkanen taking top 10 Kentucky commit Wenyen Gabriel to task.

Seems to finish through contact well (did those euro refs ever call an and-1??), which is surprising. Thought he was going to be a string bean. Also runs the floor with his head up. Good looking prospect. You can tell he watches a lot of Dirk.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ESPN's "Way to early rankings" are out.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... -2016-2017" target="_blank

1. Duke Blue Devils
2. Villanova Wildcats
3. Kentucky Wildcats
4. Kansas Jayhawks
5. Louisville Cardinals
6. North Carolina Tar Heels
7. Virginia Cavaliers
8. Indiana Hoosiers
9. Wisconsin Badgers
10. Oregon Ducks
11. Xavier Musketeers
12. Arizona Wildcats
How can you tell when your program and/or coach is awesome? When you go 25-9 ... and it's a "down" season. Or when you lose four seniors ... and everyone expects you to get better. Such is life under Sean Miller in Tucson where the Wildcats will bid farewell to leading scorers Ryan Anderson and Gabe York, as well as back-line fixture Kaleb Tarczewski, and enter 2016-17 as a likely Pac-12 co-favorite with a team that just earned a No. 1 seed. Keep a particular watch on guard Allonzo Trier, whose midseason injury reduced his role as a freshman but whose scoring gave Arizona a different dimension, and he could be much better as a sophomore.

13. Michigan State Spartans
14. Maryland Terrapins
15. West Virginia Mountaineers
16. Purdue Boilermakers
17. Syracuse Orange
18. Oklahoma Sooners
19. Texas A&M Aggies
20. UConn Huskies
21. Seton Hall Pirates
22. Iowa State Cyclones
23. Saint Mary's Gaels
24. UCLA Bruins
25. Cincinnati Bearcats
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

10-12 is fair
Last edited by NYCat on Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:46 am, edited 6 times in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I'll say this about Markannen too. I don't pretend to be an insider, but I know a few people who have more of inside look than I do. I don't think it's a big secret that the coaching staff thinks they have a really good one in Markannen.

Again, I'm no insider, but I don't even think this is classified info. The people we have who evaluate prospects have a very, very optimistic opinion on what Lauri is going to bring next year. The only downside is that it will probably be his only year in Tucson, because of exactly how good he'll be.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Around #10-12 seems right to me. But if we get Ferguson and Smith looks good to go then we should be in the top 5 behind only Kentucky and Duke
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Anywhere in that 8-12 range is fair. With Ferguson, id have us 7 or 8 myself.

LOL @ the Sporting News. Clearly someone who printed the stats from the 15-16 season, team rosters and the ESPN Top 100 and made a ranking without watching much basketball.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:Anywhere in that 8-12 range is fair. With Ferguson, id have us 7 or 8 myself.

LOL @ the Sporting News. Clearly someone who printed the stats from the 15-16 season, team rosters and the ESPN Top 100 and made a ranking without watching much basketball.
We have some question marks, but Kentucky does too, and they're up higher. Land TF or JJ and we're top 5 level, and that's really all that matters. The remainder is luck and how we gel as a team.
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

The Goat wrote:And here is Markkanen taking top 10 Kentucky commit Wenyen Gabriel to task.

Seems to finish through contact well (did those euro refs ever call an and-1??), which is surprising. Thought he was going to be a string bean. Also runs the floor with his head up. Good looking prospect. You can tell he watches a lot of Dirk.
Didn't realize those were old highlights. It was posted in March this year but you're correct, SS, it looks like old stuff just reposted. The video from GOAT is more reassuring. Looks like he has beefed up. Still not impressed with his speed or hops and think that could be an issue at the NCAA level and above, but the shot is pretty and he looks skilled and coordinated. Like with most of these guys, I guess we really have to wait until they get here to see what we truly have. I'm definitely more interested after seeing that other video.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

rgdeuce wrote:Anywhere in that 8-12 range is fair. With Ferguson, id have us 7 or 8 myself.

I think Sporting News ranked with the assumption that Trier was gone to the league. 16 would be pretty fair then.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Beermancats

Post by Beermancats »

thenewazcats wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Didn't realize those were old highlights. It was posted in March this year but you're correct, SS, it looks like old stuff just reposted. The video from GOAT is more reassuring. Looks like he has beefed up. Still not impressed with his speed or hops and think that could be an issue at the NCAA level and above, but the shot is pretty and he looks skilled and coordinated. Like with most of these guys, I guess we really have to wait until they get here to see what we truly have. I'm definitely more interested after seeing that other video.
He's 7 feet tall. Speed and hops are never going to be the strengths of a 7 footer. Show me another 7 footer in college that can shoot it like he does.
gumby

Post by gumby »

To think that he's two inches taller than Bennie Boatright -- another good shooter -- is intriguing. Wiltjer wasn't athletic. Footwork and fundamentals
can go a long way. Defense and boards will require work. I'm thinking we'll need to gang rebound next year.

P.S. If this is the thread for next year, best to kill the 16-17 one, where I placed some predictions.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

This is the thread to talk about recruiting this year's class.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:This is the thread to talk about recruiting this year's class.
Totally. Are we done recruiting JJ?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

thenewazcats wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Eh, he's just about 7 foot tall. Short of a few freaks like Willie Cauley-Stein, people that height generally aren't gonna have explosive speed or hops. The coordination and agility is a way bigger issue at that height. Even guys like Kaleb, who was really good at hedging, aren't guys you want consistently squaring up with guards or wings.

I see him as Wiltjer with more strength and athletic ability. Wiltjer was a senior this year, and Lauri's latest HS tape shows more athleticism and strength already.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

So maybe not Josh Jackson, but maybe Justin Jackson?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Ranking college basketball's top 25 freshmen for 2016-17 (Impact)
15. Lauri Markkanen, Arizona Wildcats
Markkanen hasn't been seen too much on American soil, but the Finland native could be one of the best frontcourt players in the Pac-12 next season. College coaches who scouted him said he would be a top-20 player in the United States, and one NBA scout said last week he would have been the best big man at the McDonald's All American game (although the group was without Giles, that's still lofty praise). Fortunately for Markkanen, Sean Miller badly needs frontcourt production with Ryan Anderson, Kaleb Tarczewski and Mark Tollefsen leaving and Dusan Ristic the only rotation member coming back. Markkanen will certainly get his chances.
16. Terrance Ferguson, uncommitted
Ferguson's development will be something to watch over the next few years. He's an unbelievable athlete with deep range on his jumper and the ability to guard multiple positions due to his length. At the same time, there's a feeling he should make more of a consistent impact while he's on the court. Worst-case scenario, Ferguson is a hyper-athletic three-and-D guy at the next level. Ferguson is uncommitted right now, but Arizona is considered to be the leader. Miller coached Ferguson at USA Basketball, and loved his ability to defend and make shots.
21. Rawle Alkins and Kobi Simmons, Arizona Wildcats
One of these players will need to see extended minutes right off the bat next season, but it will be interesting to see if both are getting 25-30 minutes. Arizona already returns Parker Jackson-Cartwright and Kadeem Allen at the point guard spot, plus Allonzo Trier and Ray Smith on the wing -- and the possibility of Terrance Ferguson coming into the fold. Simmons is talented enough to beat out both Jackson-Cartwright and Allen at the point, but needs to be more consistent. Alkins is a physical scorer who could also find himself playing the small forward spot if Smith moves to the four in a smaller lineup.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... all-season" target="_blank
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

We are sorta KU's b*tch in recruiting, aren't we?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:We are sorta KU's b*tch in recruiting, aren't we?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

You're sorta a bitch in general, aren't ya? :lol:
az91

Post by az91 »

Merkin wrote:
Sick for five weeks? Damn, hope it is nothing serious.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Yeah, jeez, we only pull in top five classes every year. We're totally getting worked.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Yeah, jeez, we only pull in top five classes every year. We're totally getting worked.
Lose one recruit to Kansas and that's all it takes for the fragile minded. This is genuinely the first recruit we've gone head to head for with KU since Zeus and technically it wasn't even head to head, it was a 3 man race.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Lose one recruit to Kansas and that's all it takes for the fragile minded.
If we lose JJ and get TF, we will ONLY bring in four five star players this year. The sky is falling!
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Lose one recruit to Kansas and that's all it takes for the fragile minded.
If we lose JJ and get TF, we will ONLY bring in four five star players this year. The sky is falling!
We just aren't bearing down hard enough ;) :roll:
gumby

Post by gumby »

Chicat wrote:This is the thread to talk about recruiting this year's class.
So I did it right. Yes!

BC97 must be lamenting Mario Chalmers and Aaron Miles.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Miller says expect 6-7 players in this recruiting class, including transfers of course.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Who says we aren't getting Yrtseven also??

Lots to be decided still.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PennZona20 wrote:Who says we aren't getting Yrtseven also??

Lots to be decided still.
Who is that? I've seen the name dropped, but missed when I should have learned who he is.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Similar to Lauri .... 5 star big man from Europe who is still deciding on college but thinks he's going that route. He's a Turkish big man so expect some Kanter comparisons. Hopefully without the eligibility issues.

He'd be a great upgrade to our front court depth. I don't doubt Miller on this one, although it's gonna have to be a hard close by the witch.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

az91 wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Sick for five weeks? Damn, hope it is nothing serious.
My thoughts exactly...that's a long time for a young stud to be ill!