Kobi Simmons

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

gumby

Re: Kobi Simmons

Post by gumby »

What does a cheeseburger want to be? Kobi beef?
Right where I want to be.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Am loving how this kid is recruiting JJ and TF so hard yet not pushy! Seems like a real leader type. Bear Down young stud :-)
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Love his confidence! KS swag 8-)

It’s about “just hopefully going in there and leading the team to the national championship, and finishing our recruiting class this year,” Simmons said. “It’s not completely done. We’re still recruiting two more. Hopefully, we can finish it up well.”

Simmons is expected to start or play a major role in the backcourt as a scoring-minded point guard. He’ll be competing with junior-to-be Parker Jackson-Cartwright, a true point guard, and senior-to-be combo guard Kadeem Allen, a natural scoring guard who started most of this season at the point.

Asked about how he’ll fit in with the returners’ skillsets, Simmons said: “I feel like I have both. Whatever they have, I have both.”

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 6e201.html" target="_blank
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Hopefully our starting PG from Day 1.
baconus66

Post by baconus66 »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:Hopefully our starting PG from Day 1.

Knowing Miller he will come off the bench day 1. Has to earn the starting role on the court.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Simmons signs official letter-of-intent for Wildcats

1 hour ago • Bruce Pascoe
Kobi Simmons made his commitment to playing for the Arizona Wildcats official today, sending in a signed letter of intent to the Wildcats.

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/s ... b5885.html" target="_blank
az91

Post by az91 »

HiCat wrote:Simmons signs official letter-of-intent for Wildcats

1 hour ago • Bruce Pascoe
Kobi Simmons made his commitment to playing for the Arizona Wildcats official today, sending in a signed letter of intent to the Wildcats.

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/s ... b5885.html" target="_blank
Always good news. Special thanks to UNLV and Dave Rice too.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Sean Miller compares Kobi Simmons to Nick Johnson
@RKelapire Nov 1, 2016, 10:01am

“They’re both incredible athletes,” Miller said. “Nick became a great defender and Kobi has that same upside, and offensively they can do a lot of different things.”

Like Johnson, Simmons has the ability to both catch and throw an alley-oop.

“Very few guys can catch one and throw one, but that’s who he is,” Miller said of Simmons. “And I think his shot, he’s got a beautiful looking shot. It’ll even out as the year goes on as he learns how to take a good one and how to get set.”

Still, Miller believes it’s important for Simmons to learn to play both guard spots.

“We’ve played him at two positions...both the two and the one.
I think I find sometimes that when you try to do that, big picture that really helps the development of him as a player,” Miller said. “Short-term it can kind of make things frustrating because he’s really forced to learn a lot.”

Miller said Monday that Simmons’ last four days of practice have been his best since arriving at Arizona.

“I’m really pleased because he was slow and steady for a while, but he’s really jumped up the last four days, which is very good for us,” Miller said.

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball ... ing-lineup" target="_blank
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Looked pretty damn good.
gumby

Post by gumby »

He really did. Lotta minutes available.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

SIMMONS,KOBI
#02 Simmons, Kobi
17 pts 25mins fg 64%

Yep, real deal.

http://www.arizonawildcats.com/news/201 ... pener.aspx" target="_blank

I'm guessing Pinder should see the floor more too. (with RS going down) Tough kid inside.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

HiCat wrote: I'm guessing Pinder should see the floor more too. (with RS going down) Tough kid inside.
Even before the Comanche and Smith situations CSM said Pinder wasn't going to redshirt and would be part of the rotation.

Going to be a fan favorite with his hustle out there. Another Gene Edgersen without the elbows.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Looks like a banger in the paint. Tougher on the boards/ and defense.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

He has a lot of talent. It will take polishing, but you can see all the tools are there.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:He has a lot of talent. It will take polishing, but you can see all the tools are there.
Yep. Polishing, adjusting to the speed of the college game, and learning to play within himself. He is going to have some high turnover games and make some unbelievable plays only to finish with a poor decision, but I liked what I saw out there. He's going to be a really good defender too once he figures things out.
gumby

Post by gumby »

rgdeuce wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:He has a lot of talent. It will take polishing, but you can see all the tools are there.
Yep. Polishing, adjusting to the speed of the college game, and learning to play within himself. He is going to have some high turnover games and make some unbelievable plays only to finish with a poor decision, but I liked what I saw out there. He's going to be a really good defender too once he figures things out.
I loved the spin move when I played. So does Kobi. Too much. If the crowd booed instead of oohed, he would stop.

My favorite play was when he pulled up on the break and hit the 15-footer. So many guys just continue on to the bucket and get into trouble.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Yes. That play specifically made me smile. The kid really has a nice stroke (pause), just like Miller said. Not getting all the "he cant shoot" stuff, unless its merely off poor shot selection and/or being lazy with his footwork.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:Yes. That play specifically made me smile. The kid really has a nice stroke (pause), just like Miller said. Not getting all the "he cant shoot" stuff, unless its merely off poor shot selection and/or being lazy with his footwork.
He's just not a consistent knockdown guy yet. That doesn't mean he can't shoot. If a D leaves him alone, he can get it rolling. When that's consistent, add his athleticism and size and other teams have a major issue.

Kid didn't start in the McDonalds game because he's tight with Mayor McCheese.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Yes. That play specifically made me smile. The kid really has a nice stroke (pause), just like Miller said. Not getting all the "he cant shoot" stuff, unless its merely off poor shot selection and/or being lazy with his footwork.
He's just not a consistent knockdown guy yet. That doesn't mean he can't shoot. If a D leaves him alone, he can get it rolling. When that's consistent, add his athleticism and size and other teams have a major issue.

Kid didn't start in the McDonalds game because he's tight with Mayor McCheese.
WikiLeaks says otherwise.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

I think Kobi's play two games in deserves a thread bump so he's on the front page, no?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

yes
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Draft stock: How are top NBA prospects looking?

Stock: Hot
Kobi Simmons, G, Fr., Arizona

Simmons is coming off the bench for the Wildcats, but that didn't stop him from scoring 18 points and hitting 2-for-3 from beyond the arc in Arizona's opener against the Spartans.

Simmons already has great size and athleticism for his position. If he can show a consistent jumper and some court vision, he could end up firmly in the first round on draft night.
http://insider.espn.com/nba/insider/sto ... ckson-more" target="_blank
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Main Event wrote:Draft stock: How are top NBA prospects looking?

Stock: Hot
Kobi Simmons, G, Fr., Arizona

Simmons is coming off the bench for the Wildcats, but that didn't stop him from scoring 18 points and hitting 2-for-3 from beyond the arc in Arizona's opener against the Spartans.

Simmons already has great size and athleticism for his position. If he can show a consistent jumper and some court vision, he could end up firmly in the first round on draft night.
http://insider.espn.com/nba/insider/sto ... ckson-more" target="_blank
This is why I think if Simmons is at AZ next year... he will be the starting PG. Regardless of how he looks at the position this year. I am hoping it comes true!
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I already got it in my head that Kobi is only going to be here this one year. The cards may not play out like that, but he's got a lot going for him regardless of how deep this draft is going to be.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

rgdeuce wrote:I already got it in my head that Kobi is only going to be here this one year. The cards may not play out like that, but he's got a lot going for him regardless of how deep this draft is going to be.
Yeah, me too damn it!!! I hate the OND thing... however, he looks way too thin to be in the NBA next year....
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:I already got it in my head that Kobi is only going to be here this one year. The cards may not play out like that, but he's got a lot going for him regardless of how deep this draft is going to be.
Yeah, me too damn it!!! I hate the OND thing... however, he looks way too thin to be in the NBA next year....
Dajante Murray and porzingas say hello!!!
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Kevin Durant got drafted and he couldn't even bench 185lbs once.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

WildcatStunner wrote:Kevin Durant got drafted and he couldn't even bench 185lbs once.
And he probably still can't.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
walk-on-wildcat

Post by walk-on-wildcat »

Show Time
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Kobi!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Earlobe!
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Despite earlobe's length, Kobi is still the better prospect
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Sure that isnt PJC? He's the same size as your ear
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Had a great game yesterday and could really be a great defender if he commits on that end

Any idea what he said to Alford to get his T yesterday. Obviously was talking some mess to Junior
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azcat49 wrote:Had a great game yesterday and could really be a great defender if he commits on that end

Any idea what he said to Alford to get his T yesterday. Obviously was talking some mess to Junior
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat49 wrote:Had a great game yesterday and could really be a great defender if he commits on that end

Word is he just gave a look. Which is utterly ridiculous since Alford talks shit all day every day and it looked as though Kobi was looking at our bench. Larry Scott must have paged the ref to get him to change the momentum.

If you saw Miller during the tech free throws it looked like he told Kobi he didn't give a shit. He recognized it was total crap and didn't want Kobi hanging his head. It did mark the point when UCLA started coming back, so I guess Larry got his wish.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I thought he might have said, "dude you are going to have to take the D out of your name because you can't play any"
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:

Word is he just gave a look. Which is utterly ridiculous since Alford talks shit all day every day and it looked as though Kobi was looking at our bench. Larry Scott must have paged the ref to get him to change the momentum.

If you saw Miller during the tech free throws it looked like he told Kobi he didn't give a shit. He recognized it was total crap and didn't want Kobi hanging his head. It did mark the point when UCLA started coming back, so I guess Larry got his wish.
I absolutely saw that.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

That tech was the Larry Scott " Can't let this thing get out of hand" call.
gumby

Post by gumby »

azcat49 wrote:I thought he might have said, "dude you are going to have to take the D out of your name because you can't play any"
Alfor! Love that.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Kobi quickly emerged as our 2nd best defender when all we had was one. Though Lauri eventually became #2, Kobi is still really solid and there are several times in many games where he looks like the best defender on the court for either team. He gets himself into trouble when he gambles, gets complacent or takes mental vacations, but for a freshman you can't complain. If he comes back next year, with the loss of Kadeem I would expect him to have a sense of pride in taking over Kadeem's role as the best defender and really devote himself to that end of the floor. If that happens, he will be one of the best perimeter defenders in the conference, maybe even more.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Chicat wrote:

That was exactly what it was. In any given game, you will see players stare at or look at the other teams' bench after a big play. Hell, what Kobi did to Hurley at McKale was a million times worse and nothing happened. It was to kill momentum and give an easy two points to UCLA when the lead was on its way to the 20s. And it's a gut punch and they all knew it, because Miller KNOWS this conference and has had a history with it and it was to get in Miller's head and Kobi's head. Larry Scott needs to fucking go. It is ridiculous they still have a hard on for Miller/Arizona and will impede our success.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

OK...now I am a little concerned with Kobi.

DraftExpress has included him in their 2017 Mock, as a 2nd rounder.

If he goes, as a 6'4" combo who isn't a combo yet (no PG play so far of worthy note) shooting 43% overall/34% from 3, and about to see a reduction in minutes (has to with Trier...not a crack on his play)...I just don't think he has a chance yet.

But his inclusion has me concerned that he could. Alkins is nowhere to be found in it, but I think Kobi going would be a mistake

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2017/
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I think Kobi is gone. Especially after he gets back on the bench with Trier coming back.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Kobi has a lot of that Zach Lavine appeal in that he has good enough size and length for a pro wing I.E. measurables and he'd perform very well in athletic workouts just like Lavine. He won't be lottery in a loaded draft class like this, but he could absolutely put himself into the 1st round with a great combine.

Rawle definitely needs to return.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EVCat wrote:OK...now I am a little concerned with Kobi.

DraftExpress has included him in their 2017 Mock, as a 2nd rounder.

If he goes, as a 6'4" combo who isn't a combo yet (no PG play so far of worthy note) shooting 43% overall/34% from 3, and about to see a reduction in minutes (has to with Trier...not a crack on his play)...I just don't think he has a chance yet.

But his inclusion has me concerned that he could. Alkins is nowhere to be found in it, but I think Kobi going would be a mistake

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2017/
He's very athletically talented. Kobi going is easier to see than Rawle bc Kobi has the high upside with his athletic ability.

A mistake? Depends. He is a developmental prospect all the way.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

As he was lighting it up in the first half of the UCLA game, I couldn't help but think of how many pro scouts were at that game and how good Kobi was looking. Obviously think Kobi would be better off staying, but the decision is his and I wouldn't rule out some people telling him he had a chance at getting nabbed in the late first round.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I say mistake because he can improve. He can get bigger, shoot a lot better, and has the upside.

When someone like, say, Nick Johnson or Brandon Ashley leave after their junior year, I get it. They were at full manhood. They weren't going to get markedly bigger and stronger, or better at ball handling or shooting. Aaron Gordon and Stanley Johnson I get as well. They were lottery picks, guaranteed money. Even if they had a little room to move up, we are also putting injury risk on the table, or slippage from an assured paycheck.

If Kobi leaves, he leaves with a chance to improve in every aspect on the table. And he is not guaranteed anything. He can, however, become a 1st round pick. And the 1st round guarantees a team is going to give you chance after chance. Somewhere. For 4 years, you are on the payroll of someone. It is a guaranteed multi-million dollar lottery ticket. And Kobi has the ability, and the program, to get there, maybe by next year. If he hates school, OK...a lot of people do. But they are helping you to stay academically eligible. You say you are willing to "do whatever it takes to be in the NBA." Well...THAT'S what it takes. Because if he leaves this year, he is a mid to low 2nd round pick, and there is a good chance you are D League at best, and then off to some outpost to begin your fight to get to the NBA. But if you stick around, you get the NCAA protecting your practice time to avoid overtraining, you have training table and weight program and a top program guaranteed to provide exposure, and Trier and Kadeem are leaving so you will get minutes. You are guaranteed to get better and become more of what the NBA wants.

If a player truly wants to play in the NBA, they should never leave after their Freshman year as a 2nd round pick at best in a loaded draft at their position. That's just dumb. If you hit your ceiling, then leave. But he isn't close. An NBA team isn't going to take the time to develop him as a 2nd rounder.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

rgdeuce wrote:As he was lighting it up in the first half of the UCLA game, I couldn't help but think of how many pro scouts were at that game and how good Kobi was looking. Obviously think Kobi would be better off staying, but the decision is his and I wouldn't rule out some people telling him he had a chance at getting nabbed in the late first round.
He def shows out in those scout filled games, I haven't seen him crash the glass that hard all year :lol:.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Oh won't you stay, just a little bit longer.

It's definitely about potential and size, because there is stuff he needs to work on.

Finishing: He does that double-clutch thing where he brings the ball down, which negates his length. He finishes with his right when going left. Easy to block. Develop the left.

Creating: He shoots well with feet set, but can he come off a down screen and hit?. He has a nice floater, but I don't see a consistent pull-up game.

Low release point on shot, also negates size. (Like Ball, doubt that ever gets fixed).

If he's to be a PG, then he definitely should come back. So much to learn there.