Best/Worst analysts/commentators/announcers

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

gumby

Re: Best/Worst analysts/commentators/announcers

Post by gumby »

catgrad97 wrote:To have Nantz and Raftery on the Final Four this year will be back to the Tiffany Network standard. No more of this Greg Anthony garbage.
Yes, but Grant Hill, too. He's not ready for prime time.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... e-analysts
Right where I want to be.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Olsondogg wrote:I like Kevin Calabro's voice in games...
Calabro has a top-tier voice... I'd put him in a lower band of the same league as Chick Hearn and Al McCoy (voice-wise).

Loved listening to him do Somics games when I lived in Seattle. I was shocked the first time I heard him on a P-12 broadcast.

I really like Corey Williams, but I think he is pretty bad, like Miles Simon bad - but both are shining stars next to Shane Battier at this juncture.

As for former Cats, Elliot is solid, and Kerr was superb before the career change.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Calabro has a top-tier voice... I'd put him in a lower band of the same league as Chick Hearn and Al McCoy (voice-wise).

Loved listening to him do Somics games when I lived in Seattle. I was shocked the first time I heard him on a P-12 broadcast.

I really like Corey Williams, but I think he is pretty bad, like Miles Simon bad - but both are shining stars next to Shane Battier at this juncture.

As for former Cats, Elliot is solid, and Kerr was superb before the career change.

Kerr was one of the best, I'd agree. Williams has a way to go, and Miles is hard to listen to.

It will be interesting to see who does the games for ESPN in the PAC tourney....
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Olsondogg wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

Kerr was one of the best, I'd agree. Williams has a way to go, and Miles is hard to listen to.

It will be interesting to see who does the games for ESPN in the PAC tourney....
Pasch said he and Bill would be doing them during one of our games. I can only imagine how insane things will get by the championship game.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I'm pretty sure Clark Kellogg hasn't seen Wisconsin play basketball since Bo Ryan has been coach.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

for nostalgic reasons, i sometimes miss george raveling's slo-mo speak ("AIRR-uh-zoh-nuh") and even the hokiness of marcus & the fiz :lol:
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

dirtbags wrote:for nostalgic reasons, i sometimes get a hankerin' for george raveling's slo-mo speak ("AIRR-uh-zoh-nuh") and even the hokiness of marcus & the fiz :lol:
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

dirtbags wrote:the fiz :lol:

never speak well of the Phys.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

haha, thrillho - no sentimentality!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

He's the worst.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Olsondogg wrote:He's the worst.
I thought you guys were Twitter buddies?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

azgreg wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:He's the worst.
I thought you guys were Twitter buddies?

Me? No. I got blocked by Goomdman last year cause of his comments on Stanley having a bad "preseason". I try to avoid him like I have Seth Davis at all costs.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I followed Seth Davis on Twitter for way too long. Like two or three months.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Chicat wrote:I followed Seth Davis on Twitter for way too long. Like two or three months.
WTF is wrong with you.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Olsondogg wrote:
Chicat wrote:I followed Seth Davis on Twitter for way too long. Like two or three months.
WTF is wrong with you.
I'm a masochist.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UALoco

Post by UALoco »

For me, Gus Johnson makes every game sound like it is life or death and I love it. I love his football calls as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B08Km6sV3pk
KOQSTRONG

Post by KOQSTRONG »

Kind of a random thread to resurrect but I tried searching Dick Vitale and this was the best thread I could find with him in it. I am in Lido Key, Florida just outside Sarasota on a "business vacation" and we were looking for places to eat. Came upon this pricy fish place and I was promptly rejected going by my girlfriend And I said OK and turned around and saw some bald headed huge eyebrow fucker who looked familiar. I did a double take and noticed he was looking and me and I realized it was Dick Vitale. I told my girl and showed her his picture and we kind of laughed and walked to somewhere else. It wasn't until and hour or so later that I now realized he took a hard look at me because I have my Arizona shirt on with a huge "A" on it and he was probably worried i would say something to him. I regret not saying Dookie V or something while I had the chance....
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Not only CBB but interesting anyway. Bilas ranks pretty high.

http://www.sportingnews.com/list/470345 ... r/slide/28
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
gumby

Post by gumby »

Fox wants to pay Skip Bayless millions to be a witless contrarian. Could get RiseandFire for a lot less.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gumby wrote:Fox wants to pay Skip Bayless millions to be a witless contrarian. Could get RiseandFire for a lot less.
When it comes to sports, Fox loves throwing good money after bad. It's like their mantra is that if they pry enough ESPN personalities away from the (self-anointed) worldwide-leader, they'll eventually become just as popular. Hasn't happened so far, so just keep digging....
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

gumby wrote:Fox wants to pay Skip Bayless millions to be a witless contrarian. Could get RiseandFire for a lot less.
:lol:
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

The next sports fan I meet that doesn't think Bayless is an absolute joke will be the first.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Just kidding...
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I wish I could erase all of the grimy experiences I had around Simon at a personal level (and a couple of the well-known ones). He is one of the REALLY smart analysts out there and out of that group, one of the few who doesn't get into dick measuring contests in the booth or at the podium. Always gives Arizona love too without being a homer.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Jeff Goodman is still what he is.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Is that fat, bald asshole Berman finally retiring? Probably not from being a fat bald asshole...
gumby

Post by gumby »

Dude needs some sleep. Maybe the big sleep.

"It's the Grim Reaper. And He. Could. Go. All.The.Way."
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

gumby wrote:Dude needs some sleep. Maybe the big sleep.

Grim "Don't Fear The" Reaper. From? Hades
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
gumby

Post by gumby »

Steve Steven Lavin still rockin the redundant/repetitive synonym/Thesaurus schtick/bit

"He's tough in the key, on the block, down low. Can't let him get position, squatter's rights. Or he'll just bank it in, kiss it off the backboard."

"Arizona needs to corral the rebound or carom or board to finish or complete possessions. Otherwise, the other team will get out in transition or fast break, get easy buckets, cupcakes, gimmes ... before the defense sets up or gets back."

Let's go to commercial, ads, or, what the hell, a break ...
gumby

Post by gumby »

UAEebs86 wrote:

Chris "Don't Cross Me" Berman.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Chicat wrote:Is that fat, bald asshole Berman finally retiring? Probably not from being a fat bald asshole...
Friend of a friend who interned at ESPN told me Berman is the biggest asshole alive. This was before it become semi-common knowledge. Wish I could remember some of the examples he gave, because they blow away the stuff you see in the youtube videos showing how he really is. Appreciate the guy for what he did, he was a trailblazer and at one time one of the best around, but I cannot remember the last time I watched him and didn't think his shtick died years ago. Hearing him call a home run derby is torture.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote:

ESPN could have saved so much money by hiring you instead and putting Berman out to pasture (literally .... you're now imagining him grazing ... and you're welcome).
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
Chicat wrote:Is that fat, bald asshole Berman finally retiring? Probably not from being a fat bald asshole...
Friend of a friend who interned at ESPN told me Berman is the biggest asshole alive. This was before it become semi-common knowledge. Wish I could remember some of the examples he gave, because they blow away the stuff you see in the youtube videos showing how he really is. Appreciate the guy for what he did, he was a trailblazer and at one time one of the best around, but I cannot remember the last time I watched him and didn't think his shtick died years ago. Hearing him call a home run derby is torture.
Berman is equivalent to Walton in a way in my opinion. The extent to which you like the schtick is the extent you like the guy. The difference is that Walton seems like generally a decent guy with a schtick, and Berman seems like a jackass with a schtick.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Berman's rise began the triumph of shtick over substance at ESPN.

If the network had held to a greater standard than gimmickry, Dick Vitale would've been reined in and we might still have something for sports on cable more than a historical footnote.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Bill Raftery sure does love him some missed shots. All of them are just so dang pretty.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote:Bill Raftery sure does love him some missed shots. All of them are just so dang pretty.
He and CSM were pretty chummy during the postgame interview. Obviously they know each other well from their old Big east days.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

EastCoastCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:Bill Raftery sure does love him some missed shots. All of them are just so dang pretty.
He and CSM were pretty chummy during the postgame interview. Obviously they know each other well from their old Big east days.
Well CSM did have the assist on "Send it in Jerome!"
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
gumby

Post by gumby »

Raftery ... love that guy. "With the kiss." And he's right about Chance. Needs to get those puppies organized.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gumby wrote:Raftery ... love that guy. "With the kiss." And he's right about Chance. Needs to get those puppies organized.
Dude knows ball.

However I bet he doesn't know where the largest organism in North American is!

Or what the literacy rate in Finland is.
gumby

Post by gumby »

And not once did he note that the game was between teams in the Conference of Champions.

I take it back.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gumby

Post by gumby »

Reminds me of the line by Steve Martin (while wearing an arrow hat): "And the most amazing this is ... I get paid for doing this!"

Strange what people value.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Bayless is a hack.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gumby

Post by gumby »

Liked Old Brent better than Young Brent. He loosened up. Great career. Can remember him with Irv Cross and Phyllis George.
Last edited by gumby on Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:
Dude still looks like he's in high school.