gumby

Re: Terrance Ferguson

Post by gumby »

Nick Johnson.
Right where I want to be.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Sean Elliott gets shorted a bit because he was so good all around, but he could throw them down.

https://youtu.be/JeBuQY2roks" target="_blank

If I don't miss my guess, he kind of posterizes (kind of) Sean Miller right after the 2:40 mark.
Thanks for posting that...

In terms of offensive categories, I am not sure there are any in which Elliott was not Top 5 all time (and that is being conservative).

Shooting from deep... Mid range game... Finishing... Dunking... Driving... FT shooting.

People who were not around to watch him play have no idea what they missed.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Sean Elliott gets shorted a bit because he was so good all around, but he could throw them down.

https://youtu.be/JeBuQY2roks" target="_blank

If I don't miss my guess, he kind of posterizes (kind of) Sean Miller right after the 2:40 mark.
Thanks for posting that...

In terms of offensive categories, I am not sure there are any in which Elliott was not Top 5 all time (and that is being conservative).

Shooting from deep... Mid range game... Finishing... Dunking... Driving... FT shooting.

People who were not around to watch him play have no idea what they missed.
But the problem is, I've forgotten. I remember the general impression of dominating the court, and the resulting emotions as a U of A student and fan, but I don't remember the specifics of the experience of what I can tell you about his game in the abstract.

My guess is that's how remembrance of basketball past works. We saw it, but like those who didn't, our vision of Rondae Hollis Jefferson is still what's clear in the mind's eye, and we're not so different from those newer fans in having to rely on those low quality Youtube clips from 1980's games that somebody converted from VHS format.

What's odd is the feeling that it was all so real at the time, and so far removed from what old people would say about Bob Cousey, or Wilt Chamberlain's mythical 100-point game. And yet Sean Elliott's college years are in the deeper past now than those earlier players and events were when Elliott shared the court with Kerr, McMillan, Tolbert, and Cook.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I've said this before, but I wish I was older than 4-6 to enjoy and fully understand what Sean Elliott and those teams were. I just remember dominance and dunks. What you would describe in 2016 as video game stuff. And keep in mind, my 1st grade teacher was good friends with Bobbi, so Lute, Bobbi and several players showed up to the school on career day or to speak, and there were always Arizona goodies for my class. So I was breathing Arizona basketball at the time and still don't remember much. Growing up a Celtics and Larry Bird fan, now there is plenty of footage online, NBA TV throwback games and specials dedicated to Bird and those 80s Celtics teams, so the gaps in your memories get filled in and you can fully appreciate things as an adult. Wish we had that for Arizona basketball. Hell, the first team I remember clearly and fully understood had to have been the 92-93 team.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

I remember Elliott's first step. All the rest is a blur.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Uh oh...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Happy Monday!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Damn. It's always something, isn't it?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

84Cat wrote:

"Evidenced by me talking about him, he signed something," Miller explained. "We anticipate him being here and I really look forward to coaching him."

Reads like he didn't sign the traditional NLI, but did sign Athletic Scholarship papers. Which commits the school, but not the player.

He could still go to another school, if he does stay in the US.
cpt

Post by cpt »

This era of college basketball is really testing my Give-A-Shit quotient. A long time ago girlfriend of mine said to me after I was distraught over losing to UNLV in 1989..."hey they don't care about you, why should you care about them?" She was right then and even more right now.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote:
So not going overseas but possibly not going to AZ? I guess we'll know soon.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Have to wonder if this rumor popped up because for some reason they think he won't qualify.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote:Have to wonder if this rumor popped up because for some reason they think he won't qualify.

Saw a tweet from a KU pundit that said KU backed off of TF due to grade issues.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:
Chicat wrote:Have to wonder if this rumor popped up because for some reason they think he won't qualify.
Saw a tweet from a KU pundit that said KU backed off of TF due to grade issues.
Of course they'll say that now....
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

If TF isn't going to qualify, I'm a little surprised because CSM hasn't had this happen too often (ever?). He seems to recruit guys who are sure things for college.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

It's always been a concern from what I understand, but the staff had confidence it wasn't much of an issue.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Merkin wrote:

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

This isn't a total disaster, but it definitely bumps us down a little in the Pac race. OR the clear favorite now.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Just more minutes for Allonzo, not concerned at all.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Is college BB recruiting getting worse than the nba? At least in the nba you know there is no loyalty. What a strange couple of years with Leaf, Rabb, TF, etc. They are 17-18 year old kids but it must be frustrating to work your tail off and have guys not stay true to their word.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

84Cat wrote:Is college BB recruiting getting worse than the nba? At least in the nba you know there is no loyalty. What a strange couple of years with Leaf, Rabb, TF, etc. They are 17-18 year old kids but it must be frustrating to work your tail off and have guys not stay true to their word.
CSM has to be used to it by now. Don't forget Josh Jackson. I'm sure he's at the point where he can tell which guys are solid and which guys are iffy.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Off topic, but is Alkins in the clear now? There were eligibility concerns with him as well.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Beachcat97 wrote:Off topic, but is Alkins in the clear now? There were eligibility concerns with him as well.
Depends what you mean by "in the clear." Official NCAA clearance doesn't happen until the fall. Arizona Athletics' office dealing with eligibility determined that he should clear in the fall. That's two different things concerning his status.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:Just more minutes for Allonzo, not concerned at all.
Puts a crimp in our outside shooting though.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Chicat wrote:
As well as our defensive versatility. I wish I could see this as a non concern, but losing IMO our best recruit is a rather large set back in my eyes.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote:
Probably, but we never know how good a player can be until they go against elite Div 1 defenses. Look at mid-major college transfer TJ McConnell and and grad transfer Mark Tollfesen. Neither one shot as well as they did at their previous schools.

At the U19s TF shot 33% 3PT and 44% 2PT averaging 9 points a game, 1.3 rebounds and 1.6 A/PG in the 7 games he played in.

http://www.fiba.com/world/u19/2015/Terr ... RGUSON-JR-" target="_blank
gumby

Post by gumby »

The Mudiay route. Also Prime Prep.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/high-sc ... ad-college" target="_blank

Ugh.
A similar situation played out with Emmanuel Mudiay, who also attended Prime Prep and bypassed college in favor of an international career, playing a year in China before being drafted by the Denver Nuggets. Eligibility concerns contributed to Mudiay's decision to not play college basketball.
Looks like we're getting Jenningsed (as in Brandon).
Right where I want to be.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Pathetic. This process is really getting old
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

REALLY would suck losing TF, if that's how this plays out. Miller finally recruits his first legitimate shooter, only now he might not be able to play because he watched videos in "math" class his freshman year in some stupid prep school. Ug.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

More grades suggestions from a local pundit:
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

gronk4heisman wrote: but losing IMO our best recruit is a rather large set back in my eyes.
Yep. Even though our roster is deep, TF was potentially a game changer. Pac 12 opponents are rejoicing tonight.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Miller (or anyone) just has to watch the Finals to see how deadly shooting can be. Doesn't hurt to have a little. TF stock definitely exploded after hitting 7 open 3's in an all-star game, enough for some talk of UA money (ha, Under Armour 1mill+), but still, have been really looking forward to him running alongside Kobi, that'd be pretty potent. Shame to lose him at this juncture.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Nothing official yet, so hang in there, everyone.
az91

Post by az91 »

Beachcat97 wrote:Nothing official yet, so hang in there, everyone.
I saw a source last night that Ferguson may qualify after all, so perhaps all is not lost yet. It would definitely be a let down to lose out on a player of his caliber.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

az91 wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Nothing official yet, so hang in there, everyone.
I saw a source last night that Ferguson may qualify after all, so perhaps all is not lost yet. It would definitely be a let down to lose out on a player of his caliber.
It was probably Ari Alexander, same guy who earlier knocked out the tweet about chances being very slim. So it's like that.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Until TF or CSM issues an official statement, no one knows anything.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Gary Parish chimes in.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

So long, TF. We hardly knew you.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

From the Aussie Fox Sports:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/ ... 40044527e2" target="_blank

THE Adelaide 36ers are close to formalising a deal with US high school superstar Terrance Ferguson for the 2016-17 NBL season.

Ferguson, 18 and a high-scoring, athletic 201cm swingman, is expected to bypass attending University of Arizona for a year of seasoning in the NBL before declaring for the NBA’s 2017 draft.

Securing the exciting future NBA off-guard has been a club “project” for more than a month but Adelaide’s hand was tipped today with US reports confirming Ferguson would forego college to play professionally in Australia.

“I have no comment,” 36ers chief executive Guy Hedderwick said today.

Ferguson also is expected to sign a deal with Under Armour in a move that would net the 18-year-old an immediate endorsement deal.

Under Armour also handles dual-NBA MVP, Stephen Curry, Golden State’s reigning superstar.

Ferguson has graduated from Advance Preparatory International and would be eligible for the 2017 NBA draft per the Show’s current rules as a 19-year-old, one year removed from high school.

This is promising from Zagoria:

https://www.sny.tv/college-recruiting/n ... /182452316" target="_blank

Arizona commit Terrance Ferguson could end up playing overseas next season if he's not cleared by the NCAA Clearinghouse, a source with direct knowledge of the situation told SNY.tv.

Ferguson and Arizona are expected to learn sometime this week if he's cleared.

"If he doesn't clear academically like [Emmanuel] Mudiay, then he's going to go overseas," the source said.

Mudiay, the onetime SMU commit, attended Dallas (TX) Prime Prep, a school the NCAA didn't recognize as legitimate, and ended up playing professionally in China for one season before chosen as the No. 7 pick in the 2015 NBA Draft by the Denver Nuggets.

Although Ferguson attends Dallas (TX) Advanced Prep International -- the successor school to Prime Prep -- he has been taking NCAA-approved online classes, the source said. Thus, Ferguson could be deemed a full qualifier this week.

Ferguson did not immediately return a text message seeking comment.

After decommitting from Alabama, Ferguson committed to Arizona on April 13. He also considered Baylor, Kansas, Maryland, North Carolina and N.C. State.

If he ends up at Arizona, Ferguson will join a strong recruiting class that includes guards Kobi Simmons and Rawle Alkins and power forward Lauri Markkanen.

Arizona also returns several guards and wings, including projected 2017 NBA Draft pick Allonzo Trier.

"This is a unique Arizona team," Alkins told me Thursday after scoring 28 points en route to MVP honors at the Frankie Williams Classic in Greenburgh, N.Y. "They've never had a team like us where we've had five five-stars and we already had five stars on the team so this is not your average Arizona team that you're used to seeing."

If Ferguson is not cleared, it would open additional playing time for the other guards and wings.

Jerry Meyer of 247Sports.com reported earlier Monday that Ferguson is expected to spend next season overseas.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Beachcat97 wrote:Damn. It's always something, isn't it?
ain't that the truth? :lol: never a dull moment around here.

since there's still a little bit of runway left, is there any chance that ferg could correct the situation over the summer? not that hunkering down in summer school retaking algebra classes or whatever would be the most attractive option for a 19 year old kid, but hey.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

It is the slow season, when there is no news make some up....
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

maybe the coaching staff should reach out to jordan mathews about his grad xfr :D
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Sounds like we will know for sure this week. Fingers crossed
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Get me his NCAA Online Class system credentials...he'll pass with flying colors. :lol:
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Jefe wrote:Sounds like we will know for sure this week. Fingers crossed
I think the writing's on the wall, jefe. It's similar to what happened with Mudiay. It's easier for TF to go start his pro career than to wait for the NCAA. Even if he did come to AZ, chances are he wouldn't be cleared by November, if at all.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

Honestly if he is not 100% bought-in to the system and school by now he can get fucked.

Trier, Smith, Ristic, Markannen, Commanche, Alkins, Kadeem, Kobi - that is a VERY SOLID 8 man rotation and since we all know Miller usually sticks to 7-8 guys, that's all we need. I suppose PJC can be thrown in there if he get's his shit together and that makes a 9 man deep rotation.

We are just fine.

Now let's lock up McCoy in the '17 class and bring in MASSIVE person to anchor next year's guard core!!!!
Chicat

Re:

Post by Chicat »

luteformayor2 wrote:Honestly if he is not 100% bought-in to the system and school by now he can get fucked.
Mature take. Did you copy it from someone at PGU?