2016-2017 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

Re: 2016-2017 Arizona Basketball

Post by Beachcat97 »

catgrad97 wrote:I have as much respect as the next guy for what Altman is doing at Oregon. But No. 5, above Carolina and Wisky, they ain't.
If OR is healthy, they're absolutely a top 5 team this year.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

But they're not healthy.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:But they're not healthy.
No reason to expect they won't be healthy when it counts.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:But they're not healthy.
No reason to expect they won't be healthy when it counts.
Brooks might not be healthy at the beginning of the season.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I only care about preseason rankings if we are completely disrespected. If a team is within 3-4 of where they should be, not that big of a deal.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

They forgot to mention the decline.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Tried to run
Tried to hide
Break on through to the other side (Doors) 8-)

Bottom line...

The Wildcats may not match up favorably with the teams Miller led to the Elite Eight in 2014 and 2015, but it’s not crazy to think this outfit could break through to the national semifinals.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

We're not as good as 13-14 or 14-15, but going to the Final Four isn't just about being good. The NCAA tourney has such a high degree of randomness, that if you're good enough, the rest is up to how things break. They've been breaking against us for a while.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Yep. Miller is due.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Good read on Rawle Alkins

http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2016/9/ ... basketball" target="_blank
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Main Event wrote:
It got posted in the other thread, and it''s all I can think of now. Lauren Bruner is dwarfing PJC in that picture.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Who starts more games at PG? Kadeem or PJC? Neither has me excited. Id rather have Trier bring the ball up with Kadeem or PJC spotting up or coming off screens

Hopefully we go positionless on offense a lot this year. 3 - 5 are all basically 7'. Even the bench guys :lol:
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

23 days till Red Blue
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Wildcat Ray Smith ready to play some basketball

http://zonazealots.com/2016/09/21/playe ... ray-smith/" target="_blank
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:Who starts more games at PG? Kadeem or PJC? Neither has me excited. Id rather have Trier bring the ball up with Kadeem or PJC spotting up or coming off screens

Hopefully we go positionless on offense a lot this year. 3 - 5 are all basically 7'. Even the bench guys :lol:
Kadeem or Kobi is the question I would think is more likely.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Jefe wrote:23 days till Red Blue
Go Red. I'm all in for Red this year; Blue just doesn't impress.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Jefe wrote:Who starts more games at PG? Kadeem or PJC? Neither has me excited. Id rather have Trier bring the ball up with Kadeem or PJC spotting up or coming off screens

Not sure why I keep seeing articles about PJC possibly starting. Maybe if he was 6" taller he would be in the conversation. Don't recall a single game last year (and I saw them all) where PJC wasn't the shortest guy on the floor.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

PJC will bring some value.

You can't teach short.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Not sure why I keep seeing articles about PJC possibly starting. Maybe if he was 6" taller he would be in the conversation. Don't recall a single game last year (and I saw them all) where PJC wasn't the shortest guy on the floor.
I can envision him starting. The beginning of that vision is always Kobi and Kadeem playing really poorly.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

For those thinking it's between Kobi and Kadeem for the point guard spot I sure wouldn't get my hopes up.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:For those thinking it's between Kobi and Kadeem for the point guard spot I sure wouldn't get my hopes up.
PJC is starting at PG. If he's terrible and Kobi is ready, well, things could change.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

EOCT wrote:PJC will bring some value.

You can't teach short.
Love it, EOCT!
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Why would PJC start Beach? That was Kadeems job last year absent injury/sickness all year, outside of a couple games from what I recall. Kadeems ceiling even at the college level is much higher than PJCs. And Kadeem is the better defender and matches what we are doing with long, athletic and versatile. Kadeem has to play himself out of the starting job, or Kobi has to come in from the jump and take it from him.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

rgdeuce wrote:Why would PJC start Beach? That was Kadeems job last year absent injury/sickness all year, outside of a couple games from what I recall. Kadeems ceiling even at the college level is much higher than PJCs. And Kadeem is the better defender and matches what we are doing with long, athletic and versatile. Kadeem has to play himself out of the starting job, or Kobi has to come in from the jump and take it from him.
What if both of them started?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I thought with Gabe gone, Kadeem was going to get more action at the 2 spot thus leaving pg duties to PJC and Kobi. I guess we will just have to wait and see how it all plays out.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

84Cat wrote:I thought with Gabe gone, Kadeem was going to get more action at the 2 spot thus leaving pg duties to PJC and Kobi. I guess we will just have to wait and see how it all plays out.
We have Zo and Rawle who are both great 2 guard options. I would think Zo gets about 30 mpg, so ti.e on the wing will probably be in short supply.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:Why would PJC start Beach? That was Kadeems job last year absent injury/sickness all year, outside of a couple games from what I recall. Kadeems ceiling even at the college level is much higher than PJCs. And Kadeem is the better defender and matches what we are doing with long, athletic and versatile. Kadeem has to play himself out of the starting job, or Kobi has to come in from the jump and take it from him.
This.

We saw this exact competition and Kadeem won it last year. PJC's biggest drawback is size and that isn't changing. I don't know why anyone wouldn't think the job skews to Kadeem or Kobi (if he's ready). If they don't pan out, then PJC gets into the conversation.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Pretty crowded at the 2 with Alkins, Trier, Kobi Simmons and so on, although they can play the wing too to spell Smith.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
This.

We saw this exact competition and Kadeem won it last year. PJC's biggest drawback is size and that isn't changing. I don't know why anyone wouldn't think the job skews to Kadeem or Kobi (if he's ready). If they don't pan out, then PJC gets into the conversation.
Hell as much as size was PJC's weakness, his brain and confidence put his height to shame in the weakness category. Guys as small as Parker can play on the high end D1 level, but they're worthless if they don't have the nuts to go up against bigger guys. Maybe that's been fixed and maybe it hasn't, but it certainly sounds like going into the season the staff wants it to be Parker and furthermore they believe he can do it. Sure doesn't mean they're right though.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
This.

Hell as much as size was PJC's weakness, his brain and confidence put his height to shame in the weakness category. Guys as small as Parker can play on the high end D1 level, but they're worthless if they don't have the nuts to go up against bigger guys. Maybe that's been fixed and maybe it hasn't, but it certainly sounds like going into the season the staff wants it to be Parker and furthermore they believe he can do it. Sure doesn't mean they're right though.
I'm interested about the buzz about the staff wanting it to be Parker. I do not claim to be an insider, so am honestly interested about where this is from.

Not that I have the resume of Sean Miller, but I don't get that logic.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Me thinks both PJC and Kadeem start...at least at first
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote:Me thinks both PJC and Kadeem start...at least at first
If you mean the red/blue game, that's cheating.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

If PJC weren't very likely to start this year, he'd have transferred. He could probably get more minutes and put up better numbers in a weaker league.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Who are the top reserves in college basketball?
Ray Smith, Arizona: His freshman season ended before the year began. A preseason ACL tear ruined Smith’s opportunity to showcase his advanced skill set. Smith, ranked as No. 29 overall recruit, will be cleared to practice and participate in team activities, according to CBS Sports. By late December -- perhaps earlier -- the 6-foot-8 forward and projected first-round pick could enter the starting rotation. But Sean Miller might use Smith as a reserve until he’s confident he’s completely healthy.
http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketb ... 028/116028" target="_blank
Zero

Post by Zero »

Yeah, read that on Scout.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
This.

I'm interested about the buzz about the staff wanting it to be Parker. I do not claim to be an insider, so am honestly interested about where this is from.

I'm certainly not in Sean Miller and Co.'s brain, but my guess is they want it to be Parker because he's really the only actual point guard on this roster. We have a lot of offensive weapons on this team and it would be nice if there was someone capable of finding them in the right spots. They apparently have faith he can get it done this year and has improved enough and I base that solely off the fact that Arizona took Barcello (nice player, but not the answer at point guard as a freshman) and is not recruiting any more point guards now in 2017. Miller certainly has a lot of chips in on PJC, boy do I hope it pays off.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

So move Trier to 3 and Ray comes off the bench? Id much rather have Ray and Lauri starting

Its going to take 6+ solid games for me to believe PJC even deserves a jersey
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
This.

I'm certainly not in Sean Miller and Co.'s brain, but my guess is they want it to be Parker because he's really the only actual point guard on this roster. We have a lot of offensive weapons on this team and it would be nice if there was someone capable of finding them in the right spots. They apparently have faith he can get it done this year and has improved enough and I base that solely off the fact that Arizona took Barcello (nice player, but not the answer at point guard as a freshman) and is not recruiting any more point guards now in 2017. Miller certainly has a lot of chips in on PJC, boy do I hope it pays off.
Didn't we fight over Ray Smith being a true SF? Yet here we are on the exact opposite side of whether we need a true pg. My, how the worm has turned.

I guess I just can't see Parker filling that TJ role and think we'd be better suited by having a stronger defensive lineup and emphasizing the "motion" part of motion offense. Let the versatility shine by allowing everyone to have a hand in being a distributor.

I just don't see PJC being the caliber of true pg we need to go to a FF. We might as well g9 a different route. The offense Miller runs actually lends itself to no true pg.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Jefe wrote:
So move Trier to 3 and Ray comes off the bench? Id much rather have Ray and Lauri starting

Wouldn't it be better to ease RS back from his injury by bringing him off the bench to start the season?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

With our schedule, Miller might just do that. Come P12 play there's no way PJC and Kadeem start together

Ray hasn't started a game since his junior year of HS...I cant wait to see him in action.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Jefe wrote:

Wouldn't it be better to ease RS back from his injury by bringing him off the bench to start the season?
If Ray is eased back, I'm a little surprised that it isn't Rawle and Zo starting on the wing.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

84Cat wrote:I thought with Gabe gone, Kadeem was going to get more action at the 2 spot thus leaving pg duties to PJC and Kobi. I guess we will just have to wait and see how it all plays out.
CSM says Kadeem will be playing mostly off ball this season. He wants to be a defensive stopper. We will see how it plays out.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Looking forward to getting some reports on how RS looks post-surgery.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Beachcat97 wrote:Looking forward to getting some reports on how RS looks post-surgery.
like frankenstein from what I heard.
DaddyO'Cat

Post by DaddyO'Cat »

Chicat wrote:
Holy Moley! Dudes armpit is just about at the rim. Vince Carter like.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Wow. Unreal!